PDA

View Full Version : February Recording Of Gingrich Released

Kathianne
07-14-2016, 07:41 AM
Hmmmm, wonder who had and decide NOW was the time to reveal to the Center? I think the Dems would have waited until after the announcement:

https://www.propublica.org/article/what-newt-gingrich-really-thinks-of-donald-trump

What Newt Gingrich Really Thinks of Donald Trump

In a private speech recorded in February, the onetime Speaker of the U.S. House, now reportedly on the shortlist to be Trump’s running mate, said Trump would lose in a landslide if he didn’t evolve to be more like Ronald Reagan than Barry Goldwater. He added that no one knows what a Trump presidency would be like — not even Trump.

by Robert Faturechi (http://www.propublica.org/site/author/robert_faturechi/)

ProPublica, July 13, 2016, 11 p.m.

Newt Gingrich, a leading candidate to be Donald Trump’s running mate, told Republicans at a closed-door meeting earlier this year that Trump is not a conservative, speaks to voters “at the lowest level of any candidate in either party,” and could lose in a landslide if he didn’t significantly change his approach to campaigning.

Gingrich suggested Trump’s move from campaigning to governing would be challenging: “How we make the transition from, you know, language for fourth graders to real policy, I don’t know.”

His comments came in a February speech in Washington to the Republican State Leadership Committee, months before he began angling to become Trump’s vice presidential choice.

Gingrich’s remarks, captured on a previously undisclosed recording of the speech reviewed by ProPublica, mixed admiration for Trump’s success in the primaries and skepticism about whether he could prevail in a general election.

“This is not a guy who’s shallow or simple, but he is a guy who knows an immense amount about marketing, which is why he talks at a fourth-grade level. He talks at the lowest level of any candidate in either party, not because he’s stupid,” Gingrich said told the crowd of executive-level political staffers and corporate sponsors. “He does it because he knows if you talk at a fourth-grade level everybody can understand you.”

Gingrich remained neutral in the GOP primary until May, when he endorsed Trump (http://www.politico.com/story/2016/05/newt-gingrich-donald-trump-223106) and said he wouldn’t rule out joining the ticket. He met Wednesday with Trump in Indiana and according to CNN was seen leaving a hotel (http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/13/politics/donald-trump-vice-presidential-candidate-us-election/) in the same motorcade as Trump’s children.

In the February speech, Gingrich said he had no idea what kind of president Trump might be. “I do not believe anybody including Trump can tell you what a Trump presidency would be like,” Gingrich said.

The recording of the speech was made available to ProPublica by the Center for Media and Democracy, a Madison, Wisconsin, group with the stated goal of exposing corporate influences on politics. The group said it obtained the recording from someone who attended the meeting.

Gingrich, a former Georgia congressman, became Speaker of the House in 1995 after leading a Republican wave that captured the chamber from the Democrats in the midterm elections during the administration of Bill Clinton. He left Congress in 1999 and made an unsuccessful bid for the Republican presidential nomination in 2012.

Gingrich spoke for just over half an hour to the Republican group’s Feb. 29 meeting in Washington, devoting about 10 minutes to Trump. His comments were a mix of pointed criticism and awe at Trump’s political skills. He likened Trump’s approach to “some weird combination of the Kardashians” soliciting hearty laughs from the audience. “I mean think about it, the whole tweeting, the whole continuous noise.”

Throughout much of the talk, Gingrich praised Trump’s prowess as a politician and negotiator, noting his success on TV, in real estate development and other ventures. He called him a change agent who effectively guts his political rivals: “He’s the grizzly bear in the room. He’s not normal.”

At one point, Gingrich suggested he was shocked to hear of a highly educated supporter of Trump’s. “I had a very sophisticated medical doctor in Des Moines write me two days ago and say he sent a thousand dollar check to Trump. And I wrote back and said what are you doing?” Gingrich said to laughs. “He said I have finally concluded that we have to kick over the table in Washington.”

Gingrich also agreed with what many Republicans during the primary process feared: “National Review’s right. Donald Trump’s not a conservative.” Instead, Gingrich characterized him as “an American nationalist” who uses a deliberately unpredictable mix of hostility against “stupidity,” liberals and political correctness.

Abbey Marie
07-14-2016, 09:54 AM
That didn't sound that bad to me. And the article glossed over the positive comments, I noticed.

Kathianne
07-14-2016, 09:58 AM
That didn't sound that bad to me. And the article glossed over the positive comments, I noticed.

I don't think they 'glossed over' rather just played the headline/intro for worst spin for Newt/Trump. My thought more was on who sent and how was the release time figured on.

Abbey Marie
07-14-2016, 10:05 AM
I don't think they 'glossed over' rather just played the headline/intro for worst spin for Newt/Trump. My thought more was on who sent and how was the release time figured on.

Whoever sent it, if that's the worst they've got, it's not going to do much damage, IMO. And that's even with as you've noted, a pejorative spin.

I agree that it would have more impact if it came out post- VP selection.

Gunny
07-14-2016, 01:49 PM
The left has been defaming him for a couple decades and cost him his job because of a weak GOP. They've done the same to any Republican they thought was a threat. Lott. Bonilla.

When the GOP figures out how to play the game to win, we might.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 01:59 PM
If the latest is true, that Pence is the pick, to an extent I guess it doesn't matter. But honestly, I'd still love to see Newt involved somehow if possible. Same as I would love to see Carson and Christie involved in the administration.

Gunny
07-14-2016, 02:13 PM
If the latest is true, that Pence is the pick, to an extent I guess it doesn't matter. But honestly, I'd still love to see Newt involved somehow if possible. Same as I would love to see Carson and Christie involved in the administration.

Y'know, I just have to say it. If there is a recipe to lose, the GOP can find it. There's no national name recognition with whoever the Hell this Pence is. I've never heard of him. Strategic failure. If everyone on the right wants to win, how about trying to?

Don't make anything personal, but Trump is a disaster. And if he chooses whoever the Hell this guy is, it's just another step. Might as well call him HMS Titanic. Or Benedict Arnold.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 02:26 PM
Y'know, I just have to say it. If there is a recipe to lose, the GOP can find it. There's no national name recognition with whoever the Hell this Pence is. I've never heard of him. Strategic failure. If everyone on the right wants to win, how about trying to?

Don't make anything personal, but Trump is a disaster. And if he chooses whoever the Hell this guy is, it's just another step. Might as well call him HMS Titanic. Or Benedict Arnold.

That was my first thought, I won't take that personally! I admitted I really don't know him. But I don't really know the pulse of all the voters. I'm not really huge into the Governors as much as who is in the Senate, for example. I'll be 100% honest here, and likely be laughed at by everyone...

Here is a list of every single governor currently. I have actually heard of much less than the majority - http://www.nga.org/cms/governors/bios

I think a governor is great for the job, but I also agree that name recognition is huge. There are 4 months to get him known. And if folks in congress like him, hopefully they will help as well - at the very least if they want to help the SC from being screwed for awhile.

Gunny
07-14-2016, 03:26 PM
That was my first thought, I won't take that personally! I admitted I really don't know him. But I don't really know the pulse of all the voters. I'm not really huge into the Governors as much as who is in the Senate, for example. I'll be 100% honest here, and likely be laughed at by everyone...

Here is a list of every single governor currently. I have actually heard of much less than the majority - http://www.nga.org/cms/governors/bios

I think a governor is great for the job, but I also agree that name recognition is huge. There are 4 months to get him known. And if folks in congress like him, hopefully they will help as well - at the very least if they want to help the SC from being screwed for awhile.

It's not about being dumb. It's about not knowing. It's also about Trump not being smart. I'll say what someone else has said and what I've said. I'm not a conspiracy freak by any means but I can read.

Trump has done everything to lose. He's united a minority that can't win. Now he's picking a nobody? This is 08 deja vu. McCain and Palin. Not only is he picking a nobody, he's picking someone from the northern Midwest. He's alienating 75% of the country.

Nothing personal, but the people from the West, SW and South don't give a damn what y'all think. We don't want y'all running our country. Look how well that's worked the last 8 years.

His best bet would be Gingrich. He can gather the Southern vote from NC to TX. Somebody from Indiana and NYC aren't exactly going to get us excited.

You pit that against the leftwingnut Clinton money machine? Plan on losing the entire government.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 03:40 PM
It's not about being dumb. It's about not knowing. It's also about Trump not being smart. I'll say what someone else has said and what I've said. I'm not a conspiracy freak by any means but I can read.

Trump has done everything to lose. He's united a minority that can't win. Now he's picking a nobody? This is 08 deja vu. McCain and Palin. Not only is he picking a nobody, he's picking someone from the northern Midwest. He's alienating 75% of the country.

Nothing personal, but the people from the West, SW and South don't give a damn what y'all think. We don't want y'all running our country. Look how well that's worked the last 8 years.

His best bet would be Gingrich. He can gather the Southern vote from NC to TX. Somebody from Indiana and NYC aren't exactly going to get us excited.

You pit that against the leftwingnut Clinton money machine? Plan on losing the entire government.

What's with the continued animosity towards the north, or the northeast, when shit like that's not even brought up? I know it's not "personal" as you say, but I could rant every other day about how slow and "not with things" folks from the south, southwest and west are. I suppose I shouldn't give a shit what millions and millions think either. Quite frankly, attitudes like that would harm more in the election, much more so than picking someone that appears to have an impeccable record, and also has a current positive record as a governor.

As for the rest, I just disagree with all of it, but we've been down that road. The more I debate with the folks that say he's purposely losing it, or tanking things, or he's clueless - the more he picks up supporters and the better he keeps doing in the polls. With the millions he has poured into the election, and how he has now moved up nationally and taken over in a few swing states, I hardly see that as someone doing things to lose, whether that be on purpose, or by doing things "dumb".

Did you get buttfucked at sea by a yankee or something?

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 03:55 PM
If we need help in the South, we are done anyway. Pence is next door to Ohio and kasich wasn't going to happen. Im hoping Pence brings in Cruz supporters and NeverTrumps, which is probably the idea. Pence endorsed Cruz, iirc.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 04:02 PM
If we need help in the South, we are done anyway. Pence is next door to Ohio and kasich wasn't going to happen. Im hoping Pence brings in Cruz supporters and NeverTrumps, which is probably the idea. Pence endorsed Cruz, iirc.

Yes, he did endorse Cruz (discussed in another thread?). I also think his stance on abortion will be a refresher for many. He also had a much lengthier stint in congress than I was originally aware. I heard Condi turned down an offer from him, if true. Outside of someone like her, I think this choice is as good as any. While I like Christie and Gingrich, and as much as their bulldog attitudes would have been more than welcomed by myself, how much, if any, would skeletons ultimately harm the campaign? I don't know. I don't see Christie as having helped him bring in any states. No doubt Gingrich could have helped there in the south, just not sure how any negativity may have harmed in the long run.

Too bad if true about Condi, now THAT would have been a pick that would have turned things upside down and without a doubt helped this campaign.

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 04:05 PM
Yes, he did endorse Cruz (discussed in another thread?). I also think his stance on abortion will be a refresher for many. He also had a much lengthier stint in congress than I was originally aware. I heard Condi turned down an offer from him, if true. Outside of someone like her, I think this choice is as good as any. While I like Christie and Gingrich, and as much as their bulldog attitudes would have been more than welcomed by myself, how much, if any, would skeletons ultimately harm the campaign? I don't know. I don't see Christie as having helped him bring in any states. No doubt Gingrich could have helped there in the south, just not sure how any negativity may have harmed in the long run.

Too bad if true about Condi, now THAT would have been a pick that would have turned things upside down and without a doubt helped this campaign.
Wow. Way too bad re condi.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 05:42 PM

I wouldn't count on the Cruz supporters. They are adamant in their stance of never Trump, just as many Sanders supporters are now with the never Hillary. I don't think Pence makes that worse of course, but I don't think any choice would mend certain fences. But any of them supporting, even if just for the next SC justice, of course will help.

crin63
07-14-2016, 05:43 PM

From the Cruz / Never Trump side of things, Pence is starting to be portrayed as a beta personality who won't go against Trump. He will be a "yes sir anything you say sir" kind of guy. So that may negate his credentials and ability to help.

I don't think Trump has done anything to help himself as much as Comey and Lynch did to help him. That's why his polling numbers may have increased. If he were a serious candidate, Trump should have spent every single moment hammering home since it happened until now the travesty of justice that happened when the FBI did not recommend charges against Hillary. Another reason people on this side don't believe he is serious and still do not trust him.

Kathianne
07-14-2016, 05:46 PM
From the Cruz / Never Trump side of things, Pence is starting to be portrayed as a beta personality who won't go against Trump. He will be a "yes sir anything you say sir" kind of guy. So that may negate his credentials and ability to help.

I don't think Trump has done anything to help himself as much as Comey and Lynch did to help him. That's why his polling numbers may have increased. If he were a serious candidate, Trump should have spent every single moment hammering home since it happened until now the travesty of justice that happened when the FBI did not recommend charges against Hillary. Another reason people on this side don't believe he is serious and still do not trust him.

What I'm getting is that his numbers aren't increasing, Hillary's are dropping due to emails, etc., DNK are increasing.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 05:49 PM
What I'm getting is that his numbers aren't increasing, Hillary's are dropping due to emails, etc., DNK are increasing.

Then those leaving Hillary must be going Trump then. The same polls from the same companies - they are showing an increase for Trump in some national polls, and of course increases in swing states. I could see if Hillary's numbers ONLY dropped with those polls, but his have also increased, so it's two fold.

Gunny
07-14-2016, 08:42 PM
What's with the continued animosity towards the north, or the northeast, when shit like that's not even brought up? I know it's not "personal" as you say, but I could rant every other day about how slow and "not with things" folks from the south, southwest and west are. I suppose I shouldn't give a shit what millions and millions think either. Quite frankly, attitudes like that would harm more in the election, much more so than picking someone that appears to have an impeccable record, and also has a current positive record as a governor.

As for the rest, I just disagree with all of it, but we've been down that road. The more I debate with the folks that say he's purposely losing it, or tanking things, or he's clueless - the more he picks up supporters and the better he keeps doing in the polls. With the millions he has poured into the election, and how he has now moved up nationally and taken over in a few swing states, I hardly see that as someone doing things to lose, whether that be on purpose, or by doing things "dumb".

It's not animosity like you think. Y'all are WAY more hateful and condescending toward us. There has always from day one, not because of the Civil War, a cultural divide between regions. A lot of factors come into play. Which people settled which regions and when. That same divide exists in our politics and most glaringly in the GOP in the moment. A conservative here is not a conservative there.

Did you get buttfucked at sea by a yankee or something?

JFK understood it and used LBJ to get the Southern vote. It's a sound strategy. The Kennedys couldn't stand LBJ.

Like it or not, Trump turns people off and he's divisive. Confining his appeal to one region is only going to make it worse not better. The majority of blacks and Hispanics don't live in Indiana and never heard of this guy.

Why would you choose someone from the middle of nowhere no one's heard of?

And all my ex's are yankees you douche.

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 08:43 PM
JFK understood it and used LBJ to get the Southern vote. It's a sound strategy. The Kennedys couldn't stand LBJ.

Like it or not, Trump turns people off and he's divisive. Confining his appeal to one region is only going to make it worse not better. The majority of blacks and Hispanics don't live in Indiana and never heard of this guy.

They don't live in Texas?

Gunny
07-14-2016, 08:56 PM
They don't live in Texas?

I haven't had wife/GF from Texas since high school. I DO get the George reference, btw). :laugh:

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 11:32 AM

You and I don't know him well. But a 6 term congressmen and US governor IS known. It was a tossup between going with someone more known, but with baggage, or someone lesser known, but more conservative and no baggage.

Abbey Marie
07-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Commentators are saying Pence was chosen to appease the more Conservative Republicans, who apparently were concerned about Trumps perceived lack of Conservatism by them.