PDA

View Full Version : Gov. Mike Pence biography

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 01:49 PM
So it is leaking that he will be Donald Trump's choice for VP. Here is a little about him, for folks that don't know him, like me. :)

-----

Full Name: Mike Pence
Family: Wife: Karen; 3 Children: Michael, Charlotte, Audrey
Birth Date: 06/07/1959
Birth Place: Columbus, IN
Home City: Columbus, IN
Religion: Christian

Education

JD, School of Law, Indiana University, 1986
BA, American History, Hanover College, 1981

Political Experience

Governor, State of Indiana, 2012-present
Representative, United States House of Representatives, 2000-2012
Candidate, United States House of Representatives, 1988, 1990

Caucuses/Non-Legislative Committees

Former Member, Congressional Internet Caucus
Former Member, Congressional Task Force Against Anti-Semitism
Former Chair, House Republican Conference
Former Member, Tea Party Caucus
Chair, House Republican Study Committee, 2005-2007

Professional Experience

Talk Show Host, Network Indiana, 1994-2000
Television Host, 1995-1999
President, Indiana Policy Review Foundation, 1991-1994
Attorney, Private Practice, 1986-1990
Admissions Counselor, Hanover College, 1981-1983

Religious, Civic, and other Memberships

Former President/Member, Phi Gamma Delta Fraternity, Indiana University

http://votesmart.org/candidate/biography/34024/mike-pence#.V4feTjVA6Q8

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 01:55 PM
His Wiki bio, maybe I'll go through and paste over what I think is good/bad about him... - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Pence

-----

Michael J. "Mike" Pence (born June 7, 1959) is an American politician and attorney who is serving as the 50th Governor of Indiana, having taken office in 2013. A member of the Republican Party, he previously represented Indiana's 6th congressional district in the United States House of Representatives from 2001 to 2013 and served as Chairman of the House Republican Conference from 2009 to 2011.[2] Pence is a member of the Tea Party movement.[3]

Pence was mentioned as a possible candidate for President of the United States in 2008 and 2012.[4] In September 2010, Pence was the top choice for president in a straw poll conducted by the Values Voter Summit.[5][6]

On July 14, 2016, Donald Trump's campaign signalled that Pence would be Trump's choice for running-mate in the 2016 election.

-----

Tenure

Pence served for a time as the chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a group of conservative House Republicans.

His Committee assignments in the U.S. House included: Foreign Affairs, Subcommittee on Middle East and South Asia (Vice Chair); Judiciary, Subcommittee on the Constitution (Vice Chair), and Subcommittee on Intellectual Property, Competition, and the Internet. While in Congress he belonged to the Congressional Internet Caucus, International Conservation Caucus, Sportsmen's Caucus, and the Tea Party Caucus.

-----

Foreign policy

Pence supported the joint resolution authorizing military action against Iraq, otherwise known as the Iraq Resolution.[38] The resolution cited factors including Iraq's noncompliance with the conditions of the 1991 ceasefire agreement, including interference with U.N. weapons inspectors, Iraq's "brutal repression of its civilian population", and Iraq's hostility towards the United States as demonstrated by the 1993 assassination attempt on former President George H. W. Bush and firing on coalition aircraft enforcing the no-fly zones following the 1991 Gulf War as reasons for taking action.[39]

During the Iraq War, Pence opposed setting a public withdrawal date from Iraq. During an April 2007 visit to Baghdad, Pence and John McCain visited Shorja market, the site of a deadly attack in February 2007, that claimed the lives of 61 people. Pence and McCain described the visit as evidence that the security situation in Iraqi markets has improved.[40] The visit to the market took place under large security including helicopters overhead, and was criticized by The New York Times as giving a false indication of how secure the area was due to the extremely heavy security forces McCain brought with him.[41]

Pence has opposed closing the Guantanamo Bay detention camp and trying the suspected terrorists in the U.S.[42] Pence believes that "the Obama administration must overturn this wrongheaded decision".[42] As an alternative, Pence has said that the "enemy combatants" should be tried in a military tribunal.[42]

Pence has stated his support of Israel and its right to attack facilities in Iran to prevent them from developing nuclear weapons, has defended the actions of Israel in its use of deadly force in enforcing the blockade of Gaza, and has referred to Israel as "America's most cherished ally".[43] He visited Israel in 2014 to express his support, and in 2016 signed into law a bill which would ban Indiana from having any commercial dealings with a company that boycotts Israel.

-----

LGBT rights

In 2000, Pence stated "Congress should oppose any effort to recognize homosexual's [sic][45] as a 'discreet [sic] and insular minority' entitled to the protection of anti-discrimination laws similar to those extended to women and ethnic minorities." He called for "an audit to ensure that federal dollars were no longer being given to organisations that celebrate and encourage the types of behaviors that facilitate the spreading of the HIV virus" and instead advocated that resources be directed towards conversion therapy programs.[46][47][48]

Pence has said that homosexuals should not serve in the military, saying "Homosexuality is incompatible with military service because the presence of homosexuals in the ranks weakens unit cohesion" and in 2010 stated that repealing Don't ask, don't tell would "have an impact on unit cohesion".[49] Pence opposed the 2009 Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act, saying that Obama wanted to "advance a radical social agenda"[50] and said that pastors "could be charged or be subject to intimidation for simply expressing a Biblical worldview on the issue of homosexual behavior."[51]

Pence opposes both same-sex marriage and civil unions.[52] He has referred to Harvard sociologist Pitirim Sorokin's findings that throughout history, societal collapse was brought about by the deterioration of marriage and family.[53] He has advocated a constitutional same-sex marriage ban, but did not champion such a proposed ban for his first year as governor

-----

Abbey Marie
07-15-2016, 11:48 AM
He has referred to Harvard sociologist Pitirim Sorokin's findings that throughout history, societal collapse was brought about by the deterioration of marriage and family.

That right there is wisdom, folks.

Kathianne
07-15-2016, 01:35 PM
Jim, it's not 'leaking' when the candidate announces it via Wiki. :laugh:

I know Pence, he's been around for years. If he were the one from GOP running for President, I would vote for him. He's not enough though to get me to pull the lever for GOP ticket this time around.

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 01:37 PM
Jim, it's not 'leaking' when the candidate announces it via Wiki. :laugh:

When I started this thread there was no announcement of any kind, just "leaks" from some that Pence would be the choice.

Kathianne
07-15-2016, 01:39 PM
When I started this thread there was no announcement of any kind, just "leaks" from some that Pence would be the choice.

I'm so sorry, you're right. 11 pm am yesterday, not am this morning. My bad!

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 01:42 PM
I'm so sorry, you're right. 11 pm not am this morning. My bad!

No problemo :)

Kathianne
07-15-2016, 01:43 PM
No problemo :)
I even corrected my correction, ;). Again, my apologies.

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 01:45 PM
I even corrected my correction, ;). Again, my apologies.

No damn apology needed for seeing the wrong date woman!!