PDA

View Full Version : It's official - Pence it is

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 11:03 AM
Republican White House hopeful Donald Trump will announce his much anticipated pick for vice president on Friday, his campaign chairman told CNN.

Trump will make the announcement from New York, Paul Manafort told the broadcaster Wednesday evening.

Trump confirmed the news on Twitter Wednesday night.

I will be making the announcement of my Vice Presidential pick on Friday at 11am in Manhattan. Details to follow.

Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that Trump and his choice will tape an interview Friday set to air on "60 Minutes" on Sunday.

Among those believed to be at the top of the real estate billionaire's list of potential running mates are Indiana Governor Mike Pence, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former speaker of the House Newt Gingrich.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/US-vote-Republicans-Trump/2016/07/13/id/738537/

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 11:25 AM
Team Trump told me I will find out before the world does :)

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 11:59 AM
Indianapolis Star reports it's Pence.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/14/report-pence-trumps-vp-pick/87075866/

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 01:24 PM
Just came across fox that Pence is abandoning his reelection campaign.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 01:45 PM
And how much does this help his campaign? Do any hesitant conservatives come back? Does this scare anyone away. I don't know him well at all. We need Trigg and Nukeman in here, being from Indiana!

-----

Donald Trump reportedly picks Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as VP

NEW YORK — Multiple reports on Thursday indicated that Donald Trump is set to pick Indiana Gov. Mike Pence as his vice presidential running mate, a decision he is expected to formally announce Friday morning.

Citing unnamed sources close to the campaign, both Roll Call and CBS News reported Trump was expected to offer Pence the job in a phone call Thursday afternoon. The New York Times also reported that campaign officials had “signaled” to Republicans in Washington that Pence was Trump’s pick. And the Indianapolis Star, Pence’s hometown paper, also reported the Indiana governor was Trump’s pick, citing unnamed sources.

But Trump campaign officials quickly tried to tamp down those reports. “A decision has not been made by Mr. Trump. He will be making a decision in the future,” Jason Miller, a spokesman for the Republican presidential nominee, said in a message on Twitter. A spokesman for Pence did not respond to an email requesting comment, but the governor’s deputy campaign manager was spotted by reporters on a flight from Indianapolis to New York on Thursday morning.

The Pence pick, if true, would end a whirlwind two weeks in which Trump held what amounted to public auditions for who should be his running mate. Last week, the New York real estate mogul appeared with Tennessee Sen. Bob Corker — who subsequently took himself out of the running for the job. That appearance was followed by a joint rally with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich in Cincinnati, while New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie introduced Trump at a policy speech Monday in Virginia Beach, Va.

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-reportedly-picks-indiana-gov-mike-pence-as-vp-171416958.html

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 01:48 PM
I think Pence endorsed Cruz??

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 02:02 PM
I think Pence endorsed Cruz??

Yes, but I don't think he was too much against Trump either, just preferred Cruz during the primary process. I can respect that.

-----

Indianapolis (CNN)Indiana Gov. Mike Pence endorsed Ted Cruz Friday, just days before a primary that could make or break the Texas senator's chances of halting Donald Trump's march to the Republican presidential nomination.
But Pence was quick to praise Trump, too, and encouraged Hoosier voters to "make up their own minds."

"I'm not against anybody, but I will be voting for Ted Cruz in the Republican primary," Pence said in an interview with WIBC's Greg Garrison. He praised Cruz's "knowledge of the Constitution" and his willingness to "take on the leadership" of his own party.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/04/29/politics/mike-pence-to-endorse-ted-cruz-friday/index.html

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 02:06 PM
Btw, I can also respect the fact that Trump placed him on his short list to be vetted, and appears to be choosing him, even though he endorsed Cruz. I think that show maturity, especially for Trump. I wouldn't have expected him to pick someone, who didn't pick him. But at the end of the day, the best man should get that job. Even if someone pushed him towards Pence, he still would have had to make the ultimate decision.

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 02:06 PM
I would think Pence would bring in hesitant conservatives.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 02:09 PM
I would think Pence would bring in hesitant conservatives.

I hope so. Of course I want the best VP for the job, but we also need someone that will bring as many voters to the polls as possible in November.

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 02:59 PM
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is Donald Trump's VP pick

Gov. Mike Pence is dropping his re-election bid in Indiana to become Donald Trump’s running mate.

IndyStar has confirmed that Trump plans to announce Pence as his selection for vice president, ending a weeks-long vice presidential casting call during which Trump vetted a handful of high-profile Republicans.

Trump's national campaign spokeswoman, Hope Hicks, said "a decision has not been made." A formal announcement is scheduled for 11 a.m. Friday in Manhattan.

The long-awaited decision upends the political landscape in Indiana and at least partially remakes the Trump campaign in Pence’s image.

In Pence, Trump has added a social conservative who GOP strategists say will reassure rank-and-file Republicans that Trump can be trusted to pursue their interests. Veteran political observers say Pence, a former U.S. House member and chairman of the House Republican Conference, will provide a disciplined counter to Trump’s improvisational campaign style. Pence also brings fundraising power and credibility on a wide range of policy issues that are important to conservatives.

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/politics/2016/07/14/report-pence-trumps-vp-pick/87075866/

Trump to Pick Mike Pence, Says Source

Donald Trump is planning to announce that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is his choice for his vice presidential running mate, according to a Republican with direct knowledge of the decision.

As Trump narrowed in on his choice of Pence, the two men spent time at both Trump's golf resort in New Jersey in early July and at the Indiana governor's mansion this week.

http://www.rollcall.com/mike-pence-chosen-as-trumps-v-p-nominee/

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 03:53 PM
What Mike Pence Would Bring to a Trump-Pence Ticket

Indiana Gov. Mike Pence would bring constitutional fidelity, conservative credentials, traditional faith, foreign policy, Washington know-how, and a calm, steady, Midwestern demeanor to a national ticket with Donald Trump, boosting the New York businessman with several types of voters that may prove to be the key to building an electoral coalition that could propel Trump into the White House.

Trump told Fox News’s Brett Baier this week that there are perhaps four individuals the presumptive GOP nominee is considering for his running mate. There are reasons to think that those four might be: Pence, former Speaker Newt Gingrich, Governor Chris Christie, and Senator Jeff Sessions.

Each of the four potential VP picks would bring different strengths to Trump’s national ticket. Presidential nominees typically choose a vice presidential candidate who can help the nominee reach a broader swath of the electorate, either geographically, or in terms of issues. No candidate is perfect, so presidential nominees weigh the differing strengths of various potential running mates.

Mike Pence would bring at least six positive values to a Trump-Pence ticket.

Pence began as an outsider who served 12 years in Congress and rose to leadership.

Pence was an Indiana talk show host who took on the party establishment to get into Congress. Once there, he was regularly a thorn in the establishment’s side, routinely opposing the go-along-to-get-along establishment playbook. But he did so as a “happy warrior” who kept disagreement focused on policies, while being friendly and personable with his opponents.

Over time, Pence became very popular among conservatives, and effective at communicating a conservative message through the national media. He was elected the chairman of the Republic Study Committee (RSC), the organization for stalwart conservatives in the U.S. House so that they could coordinate their efforts to maximize conservative outcomes. (Over time it became “cool” to join the RSC, and with the influx of moderates it became both larger and less conservative. That led to the creation of the House Freedom Caucus in 2015, filling the same role originally performed by the RSC.)

Rest here - http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/14/mike-pence-bring-trump-pence-ticket/

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 03:57 PM
5 Things to Know About Mike Pence

1. Pence has a low-key personality, according to Howard Kurtz at Fox News. This contrasts with Trump’s fiery approach in the political arena and could help balance the ticket. While Trump keeps his grass-roots base revved up, Pence can provide the traditional conservative message with a more calming approach.

2. Before he became governor, Pence served six terms in Congress. He built up a strong relationship with representatives on Capitol Hill. This could bolster Trump’s shaky connection to many Republicans who distanced themselves from the presumptive Republican nominee. Pence served on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs to provide the Republican ticket with national security experience, noted The Hill.

3. Pence will attract the Christian right with his strong anti-abortion stance. While in Congress, he tried to de-fund Planned Parenthood, noted Brian Eason of the Indianapolis Star. Pence once stated that he is “a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.” This, however, could cause an opposite effect for voters with an aversion to evangelical involvement in politics.

4. As governor, Pence has shown he is business friendly. Indiana has the seventh lowest tax burden on businesses, according to a 2013 study, the Indianapolis Star reported. The state could have the second lowest corporate income tax in the nation from a bill Pence signed in 2014, which cuts the tax from 6.5 percent to 4.9 percent by 2021. He oversaw the largest state tax cut in Indiana history, relieving business personal property taxes.

5. Pence offers fundraising abilities where Trump lacks them. The governor not only has key financial connections because of his years in Congress, but he also has links to the billionaire Koch brothers, who have been at odds with Trump. Matt Lloyd, his deputy chief of staff, has been the director of communications for Koch Industries while Pence advisor Marc Short served as president of Freedom Partners, supported by the Koch brothers, according to the Hill.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/mike-pence-donald-trump-vp-pick/2016/07/14/id/738658/

Black Diamond
07-14-2016, 04:01 PM
5 Things to Know About Mike Pence

1. Pence has a low-key personality, according to Howard Kurtz at Fox News. This contrasts with Trump’s fiery approach in the political arena and could help balance the ticket. While Trump keeps his grass-roots base revved up, Pence can provide the traditional conservative message with a more calming approach.

2. Before he became governor, Pence served six terms in Congress. He built up a strong relationship with representatives on Capitol Hill. This could bolster Trump’s shaky connection to many Republicans who distanced themselves from the presumptive Republican nominee. Pence served on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs to provide the Republican ticket with national security experience, noted The Hill.

3. Pence will attract the Christian right with his strong anti-abortion stance. While in Congress, he tried to de-fund Planned Parenthood, noted Brian Eason of the Indianapolis Star. Pence once stated that he is “a Christian, a conservative and a Republican, in that order.” This, however, could cause an opposite effect for voters with an aversion to evangelical involvement in politics.

4. As governor, Pence has shown he is business friendly. Indiana has the seventh lowest tax burden on businesses, according to a 2013 study, the Indianapolis Star reported. The state could have the second lowest corporate income tax in the nation from a bill Pence signed in 2014, which cuts the tax from 6.5 percent to 4.9 percent by 2021. He oversaw the largest state tax cut in Indiana history, relieving business personal property taxes.

5. Pence offers fundraising abilities where Trump lacks them. The governor not only has key financial connections because of his years in Congress, but he also has links to the billionaire Koch brothers, who have been at odds with Trump. Matt Lloyd, his deputy chief of staff, has been the director of communications for Koch Industries while Pence advisor Marc Short served as president of Freedom Partners, supported by the Koch brothers, according to the Hill.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/mike-pence-donald-trump-vp-pick/2016/07/14/id/738658/
You're saying he's a Koch sucker?

jimnyc
07-14-2016, 04:05 PM
You're saying he's a Koch sucker?

Well, ummm, something kinda like that!! I see what you did there you filthy bastard!! :laugh:

Kathianne
08-03-2016, 04:55 PM
Republican White House hopeful Donald Trump will announce his much anticipated pick for vice president on Friday, his campaign chairman told CNN.

Trump will make the announcement from New York, Paul Manafort told the broadcaster Wednesday evening.

Trump confirmed the news on Twitter Wednesday night.

Meanwhile, the New York Post reports that Trump and his choice will tape an interview Friday set to air on "60 Minutes" on Sunday.

Among those believed to be at the top of the real estate billionaire's list of potential running mates are Indiana Governor Mike Pence, New Jersey Governor Chris Christie and former speaker of the House Newt Gingrich.

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/US-vote-Republicans-Trump/2016/07/13/id/738537/

...“The current race is which of these two is the more unacceptable, because right now neither of them is acceptable,” Gingrich said in a Wednesday morning telephone interview. “Trump is helping her to win by proving he is more unacceptable than she is.”...

Tough times for Trump. Today Pence-the VP choice-was all over endorsing Ryan and McCain. He repeatedly said that Trump told him to. Ok then.

Now Newt seems to sound like me, that Trump is making himself MORE UNacceptable than Hillary. He needs to stop that, says Newt!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/gop-reaches-new-level-of-panic-over-trumps-candidacy/2016/08/03/de461880-5988-11e6-831d-0324760ca856_story.html

Reports are that Christie is still in a snit over not being chosen for VP that he's not really talking much to the Trump group. Weird.