PDA

View Full Version : Holding a gun

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 05:40 PM
Asking the experts, as I'm not one! Maybe because they are on high alert? But I was always taught to NOT have your finger anywhere near the trigger when carrying, not unless readying to fire. Look at the guy on the bottom right, who has his finger on the trigger.

https://i.imgur.com/Mqv0SUI.jpg

Gunny
07-15-2016, 05:47 PM
Asking the experts, as I'm not one! Maybe because they are on high alert? But I was always taught to NOT have your finger anywhere near the trigger when carrying, not unless readying to fire. Look at the guy on the bottom right, who has his finger on the trigger.

https://i.imgur.com/Mqv0SUI.jpg

First off you recruit, those are rifles or weapons, not guns. Your gun's in your pants. Second, you are correct in policy insofar as the US is concerned. Finger on the trigger when you're going to shoot. Otherwise you rest it outside the trigger guard.

However, I WILL say if you're expecting to get into some sh*t, civilian rules don't apply. You also can't tell but when I was in, your safety was on, finger on the trigger. You flipped the safety to fire.

Black Diamond
07-15-2016, 05:51 PM
First off you recruit, those are rifles or weapons, not guns. Your gun's in your pants. Second, you are correct in policy insofar as the US is concerned. Finger on the trigger when you're going to shoot. Otherwise you rest it outside the trigger guard.

However, I WILL say if you're expecting to get into some sh*t, civilian rules don't apply. You also can't tell but when I was in, your safety was on, finger on the trigger. You flipped the safety to fire.
Hat.

Gunny
07-15-2016, 06:00 PM
Hat.

The next movement I will explain and demonstrate is the position of attention. Your heels will be together, feet at a 45 degree angle, knees slightly bent so your worthless asses don't pass out on me. Thumbs along the seam of your trousers head and eyes straight forward, chin in, chest out. If you eyeball me I will skull f*ck you to death.

Yeah, I was a Hat.

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 06:04 PM
The next movement I will explain and demonstrate is the position of attention. Your heels will be together, feet at a 45 degree angle, knees slightly bent so your worthless asses don't pass out on me. Thumbs along the seam of your trousers head and eyes straight forward, chin in, chest out. If you eyeball me I will skull f*ck you to death.

Yeah, I was a Hat.

I'll bit, what is a "hat"?

Black Diamond
07-15-2016, 06:07 PM

Yeah, I was a Hat.

I've heard all the above. You were supposed to say it's a fucking cover.

Gunny
07-15-2016, 06:07 PM
I'll bit, what is a "hat"?

I was going to ask BD the same thing. A "Hat" in Marine Corps terms is a Drill Instructor. My curiosity is piqued because BD doesn't (that I have seen) profess any military experience.

Elessar
07-15-2016, 07:00 PM

Sorry Jim...but Gunny is right. "Gun" is a collective term for anything from a BB Gun to a massive 18 inch Gun on an old battleship.

Yes...we were taught to keep the trigger finger outside the guard. We were also taught how to release the safety with the same
hand without changing grip. Shotguns can be a different matter on releasing the safety depending on the make of it; yet you still
used the same thing...same hand as the trigger hand.

hjmick
07-15-2016, 07:03 PM
For the recruit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kU0XCVey_U

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Oh, I don't dispute you military bastards!!

But I go by the dictionary definition!! :lol:

gun1
a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanical attachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive; a piece of ordnance.

Gunny
07-15-2016, 07:07 PM
Sorry Jim...but Gunny is right. "Gun" is a collective term for anything from a BB Gun to a massive 18 inch Gun on an old battleship.

Yes...we were taught to keep the trigger finger outside the guard. We were also taught how to release the safety with the same
hand without changing grip. Shotguns can be a different matter on releasing the safety depending on the make of it; yet you still
used the same thing...same hand as the trigger hand.

Should be left-handed and try that sh*t. I had to use my trigger finger to switch off the safety.

hjmick
07-15-2016, 07:11 PM
Oh, I don't dispute you military bastards!!

But I go by the dictionary definition!! :lol:

gun1

a weapon consisting of a metal tube, with mechanical attachments, from which projectiles are shot by the force of an explosive; a piece of ordnance.

Yeah, now ask Gunny about the hat he wears...

jimnyc
07-15-2016, 07:15 PM
Yeah, now ask Gunny about the hat he wears...

He probably wears a pink hat when no one is around. :)

Elessar
07-15-2016, 07:17 PM
Should be left-handed and try that sh*t. I had to use my trigger finger to switch off the safety.

Yet you learned to do it fluidly with no loss of trigger control, right?

Gunny
07-15-2016, 07:28 PM
Yet you learned to do it fluidly with no loss of trigger control, right?

Didn't have a whole lot of options going on there. What I actually would do is flip off my safety and keep my finger out of the trigger guard. We tended to look the other way at lefties who did that.

That and I can shoot right handed. I figured I was getting over since I could carry my rifle in either hand.

Reloading was another bitch. The magazine lock is on the left side of the rifle. Damned righties rigging everything for their convenience. I also hated the fact I was guaranteed hot brass down my shirt.

crin63
07-15-2016, 07:55 PM
My training is with LAPD SWAT team leaders and some grizzled ornery Old Marine. Trigger finger rests outside the trigger guard along side the frame.

The muzzle only covers what you intend to destroy. Finger goes on the trigger when you're ready to destroy what's covered by the muzzle.

PixieStix
07-15-2016, 07:59 PM
My training is with LAPD SWAT team leaders and some grizzled ornery Old Marine. Trigger finger rests outside the trigger guard along side the frame.

The muzzle only covers what you intend to destroy. Finger goes on the trigger when you're ready to destroy what's covered by the muzzle.

That is exactly what my Dad taught me :coffee:

Gunny
07-15-2016, 08:18 PM

I'm going to say this and don't take it the wrong way. If that Marine Worked LAPD SWAT, he was teaching you what he was taught to teach you. The rules here are a lot different than when you're overseas, and between the police and military. The police have more rules than the NFL. And they can't do anything right nowadays it seems.

People have this misconception of combat troops as well. We don't walk around, finger on the trigger looking for something to shoot. We spend most of our time eating sh*tty food, taking cold showers or a hot spot dust off with cold water from a canteen cup. We're usually bored, lonely and clueless.

We didn't have the media, BLM and liberals up our butts checking to see where our finger was and 300 people videoing us on their phones.

hjmick
07-15-2016, 08:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk

Elessar
07-15-2016, 09:59 PM

Sorry you are wrong-handed!:laugh:

Kidding of course...must have come in 'handy' in MA, though.

Elessar
07-15-2016, 10:05 PM
Didn't have a whole lot of options going on there. What I actually would do is flip off my safety and keep my finger out of the trigger guard. We tended to look the other way at lefties who did that.

That and I can shoot right handed. I figured I was getting over since I could carry my rifle in either hand.

Reloading was another bitch. The magazine lock is on the left side of the rifle. Damned righties rigging everything for their convenience. I also hated the fact I was guaranteed hot brass down my shirt.

I wondered about all that for a while...but how do you mass produce a weapon, yet set exceptions for
left handers? You guys had to pick up any weapon in the field and use it.

I can shoot with both hands as well...sometime left better than right. The there is the right hand / left eye
problem. Righties normally have a right eyes focus..but I've seen some that had a left eye focus.

My bow is right eye only, left hand grip.

Gunny
07-15-2016, 11:01 PM
Sorry you are wrong-handed!:laugh:

Kidding of course...must have come in 'handy' in MA, though.

I worked in boxing and kickboxing. Martial arts not so much because we're taught to fight both ways. It works REAL good with a sword, a bo and close combat with a rifle.

I wondered about all that for a while...but how do you mass produce a weapon, yet set exceptions for
left handers? You guys had to pick up any weapon in the field and use it.

I can shoot with both hands as well...sometime left better than right. The there is the right hand / left eye
problem. Righties normally have a right eyes focus..but I've seen some that had a left eye focus.

My bow is right eye only, left hand grip.

I'm left eye dominant and naturally left-handed. I had to learn to use my right when I shattered my wrist as a tike. I can use the weapons. It just takes some gaming the system. Like I said, as long as we weren't doing something unsafe, they usually just left us alone.

The challenge for me when I was a boot was learning to use the time instead of rushing.

They teach different tactics now. I never had an M-4 and all that visual junk they got. After my time. The M-16 A2 was the last rifle I had in the Corps. Once you make Gunny, you don't get a rifle anymore.