PDA

View Full Version : Obama Starts His Poverty Tour

red states rule
07-24-2007, 06:37 PM
First is was Pretty Boy Edwards on a poverty tour - now Sen Obama is starting his

Yes, more of your tax dollars will be spent on social programs - the same answer Dems have for all "problems"

Obama's $6 billion poverty platform
By Brian DeBose

Democratic presidential hopeful Sen. Barack Obama yesterday introduced a broad agenda to combat urban poverty, which he said would cost "billions of dollars a year" but be funded by savings from ending the Iraq war.

The Illinois senator said he would spend about $6 billion annually, with his first task being to replicate in 20 cities such successful child and youth development programs as the Harlem Children's Zone in New York City and the Town Hall Education, Arts and Recreation Campus in the District, where he outlined his plan.

"I'll be honest, it can"t be done on the cheap. It will cost a few billion dollars a year," he said. "We won"t just spend the money because we can — every step these cities take will be evaluated, and if certain plans or programs aren"t working, we will stop them and try something else, but we will find the money to do this because we can't afford not to."

Mr. Obama not only gave voters some of his first detailed policy objectives, but he also effectively stole the thunder from former Sen. John Edwards, who yesterday concluded a trip mimicking Robert F. Kennedy's 1968 poverty tour in Prestonsburg, Ky., where the Kennedy tour ended.

Mr. Obama also invoked Mr. Kennedy's repeated journeys through the South and Appalachia as a kickoff for his remarks, asking the audience the same question that Mr. Kennedy posed 40 years ago: "How can a country like this allow it?"

But both Mr. Obama and Mr. Edwards, who are running second and third in most Democratic presidential polls, have seized a jump on front-running Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton, who has not announced any detailed anti-poverty proposals.

There was a stark contrast between the two speeches as Mr. Edwards' focused on poverty broadly, including rural and urban communities while Mr. Obama focused his initiative on cities, although he said he would "roll out" his rural agenda in the coming weeks.

"The reason I'm here is because I want America to remember what he did decades ago, and I want America to join us, all of us, to end the great work that Bobby Kennedy started," said Mr. Edwards of North Carolina in his speech.

for the complete article
http://washingtontimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070719/NATION/107190083/1001

Yurt
07-24-2007, 09:53 PM
thanks for the misleading article, i thought this was an article about his intellect....:poke:

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 10:09 PM
thanks for the misleading article, i thought this was an article about his intellect....:poke:

Obama's intellect? Isn't that an Oxymoron? :poke:

Yurt
07-24-2007, 10:43 PM
Obama's intellect? Isn't that an Oxymoron? :poke:

hence my confusion over the title of the thread:

Obama Starts His Poverty Tour

:poke::poke::slap:

:laugh2:

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 10:49 PM
hence my confusion over the title of the thread:

:poke::poke::slap:

:laugh2:

:slap::finger3::laugh2:

red states rule
07-25-2007, 04:36 AM

First of all - Obama's intellect has never been questioned

Come to think of it - it has never been mentioned

So why start a thread about it?

Yurt
07-25-2007, 09:48 AM
First of all - Obama's intellect has never been questioned

Come to think of it - it has never been mentioned

So why start a thread about it?

it was an effing joke :poke:

red states rule
07-25-2007, 09:49 AM
it was an effing joke :poke:

So was my reply

Hagbard Celine
07-25-2007, 09:51 AM
So was my reply

Is that an adult vel-cro shoe in your avatar pic?

red states rule
07-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Is that an adult vel-cro shoe in your avatar pic?

It is a kitten in a running shoe - cute isn't she?

Yurt
07-25-2007, 08:30 PM
So was my reply

but your's was not funny :slap:

Yurt
07-25-2007, 08:31 PM
It is a kitten in a running shoe - cute isn't she?

bro, never seen a running shoe like that. what is it?

red states rule
07-26-2007, 03:58 AM
bro, never seen a running shoe like that. what is it?

They are a pair of running shoes I got - I werar them when I jog and when I am on the treadmill

The cat likes crawling in them

Yurt
07-26-2007, 07:44 PM
They are a pair of running shoes I got - I werar them when I jog and when I am on the treadmill

The cat likes crawling in them

cool

red states rule
07-26-2007, 09:48 PM
cool

She loves to mug for the camera

red states rule
07-27-2007, 07:02 AM
cool

She also like to crawl into them (well when she was a kitten)