PDA

View Full Version : Ted Cruz's pledge.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Did it say "I promise to support the nominee unless he insults my wife and father"?

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Wonderful! Party over family! LOL!

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 09:32 AM
A shame he couldn't honor his word. In a time when folks are against Hillary due to being "untrustworthy", he can't stand behind his own promise. He's no Hillary, a but "a man's word is his bond". I know none of them are perfect, and all have said things a little less than truthful, but stuff like this can make or break the election. Think about that for a second - not honoring their words - they could be potentially harming the election for the republican party, or at the very least not helping as they promised.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Wonderful! Party over family! LOL!

I guess pledges don't mean anything. Or at least to you and Cheatin' Ted they don't.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 09:42 AM
A shame he couldn't honor his word. In a time when folks are against Hillary due to being "untrustworthy", he can't stand behind his own promise. He's no Hillary, a but "a man's word is his bond". I know none of them are perfect, and all have said things a little less than truthful, but stuff like this can make or break the election. Think about that for a second - not honoring their words - they could be potentially harming the election for the republican party, or at the very least not helping as they promised.

He's doing even more damage this morning.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ted-cruz-servile-puppy-dog-000000291.html

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 09:52 AM
I guess pledges don't mean anything. Or at least to you and Cheatin' Ted they don't.

I guess your family means nothing to you.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 10:06 AM
I knew you could get ugly, but not this ugly.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 10:07 AM
I knew you could get ugly, but not this ugly.

Hey, it's your logic.

crin63
07-21-2016, 10:49 AM
Regardless of endorsement, showing up and speaking at the RNC after Trump had secured the nomination was support, unlike Kasich who wouldn't come to the convention. Trump knew early in the week there would be no endorsement but probably hoped that all the threats and strong-arming would work on Cruz. The campaign also saw the speech before it was given. All the theatrics during and after the speech were planned, coordinated, and orchestrated by Manafort. Just like shutting down the voice of the delegates and rules committee.

But, what I really find interesting is that apparently, Trump supporters don't believe in their candidate. Apparently, they don't view him as someone who will uphold the Constitution. I guess they believe that only those WITHOUT a conscience will vote for Trump.

What did Cruz say? He congratulated Trump. He told Conservatives not to stay home in November. He told everyone to get out and vote up and down the ticket for those who will uphold the Constitution. He told people to vote their conscience. He is such a bad bad man. Good God how could he do that! That's just horrible. Apparently, he must bow down and worship the golden calf that is the RNC and kiss the ring of Donald Trump while making obeisance.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 10:55 AM
Regardless of endorsement, showing up and speaking at the RNC after Trump had secured the nomination was support, unlike Kasich who wouldn't come to the convention. Trump knew early in the week there would be no endorsement but probably hoped that all the threats and strong-arming would work on Cruz. The campaign also saw the speech before it was given. All the theatrics during and after the speech were planned, coordinated, and orchestrated by Manafort. Just like shutting down the voice of the delegates and rules committee.

But, what I really find interesting is that apparently, Trump supporters don't believe in their candidate. Apparently, they don't view him as someone who will uphold the Constitution. I guess they believe that only those WITHOUT a conscience will vote for Trump.

What did Cruz say? He congratulated Trump. He told Conservatives not to stay home in November. He told everyone to get out and vote up and down the ticket for those who will uphold the Constitution. He told people to vote their conscience. He is such a bad bad man. Good God how could he do that! That's just horrible. Apparently, he must bow down and worship the golden calf that is the RNC and kiss the ring of Donald Trump while making obeisance.

Personally I think he should have stayed home, like most that won't endorse/support him. With that said, when it comes to party over family? I'd choose family.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2016, 11:02 AM

I guess I see it just the opposite way. If you can't endorse Trump, don't show up and give a speech to put attention on yourself, and cast doubt on voting for the nominee. If you are upset about your family, don't go at all. I doubt you will EVER see a a Dem behave this way at a convention. Rubio was severely attacked by Trump, but had the grace to endorse him while giving his speech, stressing party unity. That is what you do if you decide to speak at the nominee's convention.

The Dems are laughing at us all the way to the White House. Say hello to President Hillary, liar-in-chief.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 11:06 AM
I think he should have announced all along his intent with the convention rather than waiting til the day after to explain himself. Oh well.

-----
Mike Huckabee on Facebook

The question of the night was whether Ted Cruz would honor his word and support the nominee or earn the moniker “Lyin Ted” given to him by the man who won. The question was whether Cruz would make his speech about HIS future or the future of the country. And that question was answered when Ted Cruz chose to not keep his word that he (along with me and every other GOP candidate) gave one year ago in that very arena where tonight he put his own ambitions above country.

Donald Trump did something no previous nominee has done—he allowed Ted Cruz to speak without his promising to support the nominee. I’ve spoken at every convention since 1992, and I can attest to the fact that no one got near that stage without supporting the nominee. Trump trusted Ted and was rewarded with a betrayal, but the delegates in that arena booed Cruz off the stage and out of Cleveland.

I’m certain that many of you will react harshly and angrily to my words. So be it. But when a person gives his word, he should keep it. When a person is treated with generosity to give a speech, he should either respond with respect or graciously decline. And when a person loses, he should accept the will of the voters and then offer support to the victor of the primary to defeat the anti-gun, pro-abortion, incompetent, dishonest, and dishonorable nominee of the Democrat party.

So fire away with your comments, Facebook Friends. But from where I sit, I didn’t see a statesman step forth for the country’s future. I saw a self-absorbed politician grab the microphone and try to line up his own future. Ted walked in tall and walked out small.

-----

Newt Gingrich found Ted Cruz's speech 'funny'

Moments after Day 3 of the Republican National Convention ended, Sean Hannity sat down with Newt Gingrich to discuss Ted Cruz getting booed off the stage for refusing to endorse Donald Trump.

"I had the text of what Ted Cruz was gonna say, and I thought it was funny," Gingrich said. "I mean, Ted gets up and he says, 'Look, vote your conscience for someone who will support the Constitution.' Well, in this particular election year, that by definition cannot be for Hillary Clinton."

"So in a very strange way, for a guy who's a Princeton Harvard graduate, he backed into ... he has to be for Trump, because by Ted Cruz’s own standard, there’s no other candidate that fits the criteria Ted Cruz set up."

Gingrich spoke after Cruz, following an interlude from Eric Trump, and he appeared to clean up after the Texas senator snubbed Trump.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/newt-gingrich-ted-cruz-225936#ixzz4F3mV7vEG
Follow us: @politico on Twitter | Politico on Facebook

crin63
07-21-2016, 11:10 AM
I guess I see it just the opposite way. If you can't endorse Trump, don't show up and give a speech to put attention on yourself, and cast doubt over on voting for the nominee. If you are upset about your family, don't go at all. I doubt you will EVER see a a Dem behave this way at a convention. Rubio was severely attacked by Trump, but had the grace to endorse him while giving his speech, stressing party unity. That is what you do if you decide to speak at the nominee's convention.

The Dems are laughing at us all the way to the White House. Say hello to President Hillary, liar-in-chief.

Trump invited him to come speak knowing there was no endorsement and the content of the speech. It's one of those damned if you, damned if you don't things. Don't show up and you're the bad guy. Show up, speak and don't endorse you're the bad guy. No matter how it played out it gave the Trump a way to make Cruz look bad.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 11:12 AM
Trump invited him to come speak knowing there was no endorsement and the content of the speech. It's one of those damned if you, damned if you don't things. Don't show up and you're the bad guy. Show up, speak and don't endorse you're the bad guy. No matter how it played out it gave the Trump a way to make Cruz look bad.

Why didn't Cruz speak of his intent at the convention all along? He would have been more respected if he did as Huckabee states - graciously declined.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2016, 11:15 AM

Still disagree. They are not equivalent. Staying home is poor team play. Showing up and throwing shade on the nominee and self-aggrandizing is classless

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 11:17 AM
Still disagree. They are not equivalent. Staying home is poor team play. Showing up and throwing shade on the nominee and self-aggrandizing is classless
Now I agree he should have stayed home. However I do agree that when his family was attacked, not himself, the 'contract' was voided. Family over any team or party.

God, family, country.

crin63
07-21-2016, 11:21 AM
Why didn't Cruz speak of his intent at the convention all along? He would have been more respected if he did as Huckabee states - graciously declined.

Sorry, didn't read what Huckabee said. I think less of Huckabee than I do of Mitch McConnell.

Cruz maintained the respect of his supporters last night. He earned the respect of the Libertarians I know.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 11:35 AM
Now I agree he should have stayed home. However I do agree that when his family was attacked, not himself, the 'contract' was voided. Family over any team or party.

God, family, country.

Sorry, didn't read what Huckabee said. I think less of Huckabee than I do of Mitch McConnell.

Cruz maintained the respect of his supporters last night. He earned the respect of the Libertarians I know.

He should have made his intent known. He should have made his feelings known. He should have somehow spoken up. It was a calculated decision to keep quiet, and then use the microphone for his own political ambitions. And while he may have further endeared himself to Cruz fans, he's hurt himself badly with many others in the party. Any chance he had in 2020 just went out the window. The respect went up within his own support, while went down with much more. Huckabee nailed it - Ted walked in tall, but walked out small - and I'll add - he shouldn't have come at all.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 02:46 PM
Long time Ted Cruz supporter, and I agree wholeheartedly with him...

Richard Viguerie: ‘Ted Cruz Committed Political Suicide on National TV’

Movement conservative leader Richard Viguerie, a long-time supporter of Ted Cruz, equated the Texas Senator’s refusal to honor his pledge to support the Republican nominee Donald Trump to a “political suicide.”

In an article titled “Ted Cruz Committed Political Suicide On National TV,” Viguerie wrote at his ConservativeHQ website:

The much anticipated speech Ted Cruz delivered to the Republican National Convention last night was a soaring anthem to liberty that lacked but one thing to make it, and Ted Cruz, great; an endorsement of the Trump – Pence ticket.

Failing to endorse the Trump – Pence ticket last night was not good for Ted Cruz, conservatives, Republicans, and America.

And most importantly for those of us who endorsed Ted Cruz and worked for him in the Republican primaries, he betrayed the trust we gave him that he was a bigger man than his attackers and that there was a cause greater than self in the hard-fought battles of the Republican primaries.

And I think it was this sense that Ted Cruz did not live up to his own rhetoric that stung his former supporters and emboldened his detractors the most….

The reaction to Cruz’s speech that came in to me and to CHQ was white hot, quick and devastating to Cruz’s personal and political future. Here are just a few of the comments from prominent conservatives who are attending the Republican National Convention with me and from other individuals who attended a private meeting before which Senator Cruz spoke just a few days ago:

I’m ashamed that I voted for Ted Cruz in the Massachusetts’ Republican Primary.
I thought Ted Cruz was a man of integrity. Tonight he proved — beyond a shadow of a doubt — that he isn’t. He made a solemn pledge to support the Republican nominee. And he broke that crucial promise.
I thought Ted Cruz was a patriot. Tonight, he proved he isn’t. However bitter and angry he is at Donald Trump, he knows that Trump is the only person standing between Hillary Clinton (a liar, a fraud, a thief and a traitor) and the presidency. And yet – after meticulously laying out the case against another 4 to 8 years of leftist tyranny — he refused to endorse the one man who can put an end to our long national nightmare.
Cruz wasn’t driven by principle, but by ego. He can’t accept the fact that the party chose Trump over him.
Ted Cruz made the worst mistake of his political career. Millions of us will never forget or forgive his betrayal. He will never be his party’s nominee for president. He will never hold the highest office in the land.
Pence crushed Cruz. Newt crushed Cruz. Ted Cruz looks like a sore loser. He does not look Reaganesque at all.
Ted Cruz is a very small man.

After failing to endorse the Trump – Pence ticket last night, in eyes of most conservatives with whom I spoke, Ted Cruz became just another self-centered politician who walked back on a promise, failed to live up to his own Biblical standards and, when the battle raged the fiercest, put his own petty hurts before the future of his country and the conservative cause.

http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/21/richard-viguerie-ted-cruz-committed-political-suicide-national-tv/

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Exclusive — Sarah Palin to Ted Cruz: Delete Your Career

In an exclusive statement to Breitbart News, former Alaska Governor and 2008 Vice Presidential nominee Sarah Palin weighed in on Senator Ted Cruz’s refusal to honor his pledge and endorse the GOP nominee Donald Trump.

Palin, whose endorsement of Cruz’s long-shot Senate bid in 2012 was credited by Cruz himself as the reason why he won the race that launched his national political career, gave the following statement to Breitbart after delegates booed Cruz off the stage at the Republican National Convention on Wednesday night:

Turns out Ted Cruz’s partner, Carly Fiorina, had a more graceful exit from the political stage than he had.

Cruz’s broken pledge to support the will of the people tonight was one of those career-ending “read my lips” moments. I guarantee American voters took notice and felt more unsettling confirmation as to why we don’t much like typical politicians because they campaign one way, but act out another way. That kind of political status quo has got to go because it got us into the mess we’re in with America’s bankrupt budgets and ramped up security threats.

It’s commonplace for politicians to disbelieve their word is their bond, as evidenced by Cruz breaking his promise to endorse his party’s nominee, evidently thinking whilst on the convention stage, “At this point, what difference does it make?” We’ve been burned so horribly by that attitude that voters won’t reward politicians pulling that “what difference does it make” stunt again. Politicians will see — it makes all the difference in the world to us.

Rest here - http://www.breitbart.com/2016-presidential-race/2016/07/20/exclusive-sarah-palin-ted-cruz-delete-career/

GravyBoat
07-21-2016, 03:04 PM
Ted Cruz showed his faith in the country is nothing more than a carnation pinned on his lapel. He's was a sad gelatinous prick before last night and he'll always be just that. Anyway, whoever makes weed legal gets my vote, all the rest of it is just window dressing. Obama was no better or worse than George Bush, they all bow to the same masters. At least under his watch we saw many states legalize weed, the best thing since sliced bread.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 04:21 PM
He should have made his intent known. He should have made his feelings known. He should have somehow spoken up. It was a calculated decision to keep quiet, and then use the microphone for his own political ambitions. And while he may have further endeared himself to Cruz fans, he's hurt himself badly with many others in the party. Any chance he had in 2020 just went out the window. The respect went up within his own support, while went down with much more. Huckabee nailed it - Ted walked in tall, but walked out small - and I'll add - he shouldn't have come at all.
Actually he did, as you so ably pointed out on another thread. ;)

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Actually he did, as you so ably pointed out on another thread. ;)

Not sure which part you're referring to? His stating his feelings/intention? I know he never liked him, but he didn't seem to make it known that there would be no endorsement and such until the very moment, nor did he explain things until after the fact, this morning. It just came off as cheap to me. He could have simply declined, which I believe would have been the best route. He seemingly did more harm to himself than anything else. He could have ended any speculation about any endorsement a long time back, and everyone in politics knows that everyone was waiting to see how that would turn out. Pretty much the only thing I heard of in advance was that Trump and his people read the speech a few hours in advance, and of course didn't change anything planned for the event.

The #never_trump folks were upset, but look at their goal, so I don't believe for a second that they ever would vote for him anyway.

But, the more and more I read about this today, the more I do in fact believe he harmed himself terribly with this. And not just from folks that support Trump, but from the party itself. Sure, many of his supporters weren't offended, but even some were. I think this is going to be looked upon similar to Romney going out of his way to try and work against Trump and/or the party.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 04:43 PM
Not sure which part you're referring to? His stating his feelings/intention? I know he never liked him, but he didn't seem to make it known that there would be no endorsement and such until the very moment, nor did he explain things until after the fact, this morning. It just came off as cheap to me. He could have simply declined, which I believe would have been the best route. He seemingly did more harm to himself than anything else. He could have ended any speculation about any endorsement a long time back, and everyone in politics knows that everyone was waiting to see how that would turn out. Pretty much the only thing I heard of in advance was that Trump and his people read the speech a few hours in advance, and of course didn't change anything planned for the event.

The #never_trump folks were upset, but look at their goal, so I don't believe for a second that they ever would vote for him anyway.

But, the more and more I read about this today, the more I do in fact believe he harmed himself terribly with this. And not just from folks that support Trump, but from the party itself. Sure, many of his supporters weren't offended, but even some were. I think this is going to be looked upon similar to Romney going out of his way to try and work against Trump and/or the party.

I agree and have that he shouldn't have come. I don't think I'd like to be around you if I implied your dad tried to assassinate someone or rather pushed a tabloid account implying such? Making fun of your wife? Good luck with that, no?

It's become clear, as you and others have noted, that the speech was vetted, that Trump knew. Cruz miscalculated and again I think you know I don't have a problem with that. I detested the last two choices-I just went with the one I could have pulled the lever for.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 04:47 PM
I agree and have that he shouldn't have come. I don't think I'd like to be around you if I implied your dad tried to assassinate someone or rather pushed a tabloid account implying such? Making fun of your wife? Good luck with that, no?

It's become clear, as you and others have noted, that the speech was vetted, that Trump knew. Cruz miscalculated and again I think you know I don't have a problem with that. I detested the last two choices-I just went with the one I could have pulled the lever for.

Me? I probably wouldn't have. But I would have made that LOUD and abundantly clear a LONG time ago. And if I were to be on stage, I would have spent an eternity blasting Hillary and making it more than clear that everyone and anyone that could hear me - we have GOT to keep Hillary out of office in November.

If that was his decision, and he knew how important it was and such - he should have stated as much the minute such comments made that decision for him. I doubt that was as he was writing his speech.

But, unfortunately for Ted, I think next time he will in fact be staying home, but perhaps not as much by choice.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Me? I probably wouldn't have. But I would have made that LOUD and abundantly clear a LONG time ago. And if I were to be on stage, I would have spent an eternity blasting Hillary and making it more than clear that everyone and anyone that could hear me - we have GOT to keep Hillary out of office in November.

If that was his decision, and he knew how important it was and such - he should have stated as much the minute such comments made that decision for him. I doubt that was as he was writing his speech.

But, unfortunately for Ted, I think next time he will in fact be staying home, but perhaps not as much by choice.

I for one, won't have a problem with that.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 05:05 PM
I for one, won't have a problem with that.

He obviously wasn't my first choice, but he was near the top of my list when it all started. There were a few things I didn't like about him during the campaign, like the issue with Carson for example. But I still thought he was a good politician, and someone that has an awful lot of conservative values. I could easily have seen myself voting for him down the road. But now, now I would have to give it some serious thought. Same as I would do if Romney were to suddenly lead the team.

The never Trump folks went forward and it was all about "voting their conscience" and that's what they wanted to change with the rules, a conscience clause. And then he speaks as he did, no endorsement, and tells folks to vote with their conscience come November. I think that's exactly what that was, a big "FU" since that wasn't allowed.

And now a lot of prominent republicans are speaking out, many of them feeling like I do, that he has only harmed his own career going forward. I doubt Ted realized he would get the backlash that he is getting today.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 05:10 PM
He obviously wasn't my first choice, but he was near the top of my list when it all started. There were a few things I didn't like about him during the campaign, like the issue with Carson for example. But I still thought he was a good politician, and someone that has an awful lot of conservative values. I could easily have seen myself voting for him down the road. But now, now I would have to give it some serious thought. Same as I would do if Romney were to suddenly lead the team.

The never Trump folks went forward and it was all about "voting their conscience" and that's what they wanted to change with the rules, a conscience clause. And then he speaks as he did, no endorsement, and tells folks to vote with their conscience come November. I think that's exactly what that was, a big "FU" since that wasn't allowed.

And now a lot of prominent republicans are speaking out, many of them feeling like I do, that he has only harmed his own career going forward. I doubt Ted realized he would get the backlash that he is getting today.

Reports this morning were saying Donald knew what was going to be said. He certainly knew there was no endorsement.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 05:14 PM
Ok, this is just weird, but I guess that's the new normal:

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/07/21/two-unanswered-questions-about-cruzs-speech/

Two unanswered questions about Cruz’s speechPOSTED AT 2:41 PM ON JULY 21, 2016 BY ALLAHPUNDIT
I can’t figure them out. Maybe you can.
Question one: Did Team Trump encourage the booing, and if so, why? I made this point myself last night on social media:

Question two: How much damage did Cruz do to himself?

Lots of links and perhaps only interesting to those really interested in watching sausage being made?

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Reports this morning were saying Donald knew what was going to be said. He certainly knew there was no endorsement.

Yes, he stated he read the speech about 2 hours prior to Ted hitting the stage.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
Yes, he stated he read the speech about 2 hours prior to Ted hitting the stage.

I think Trump knew this would not bode well for Ted.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 05:20 PM
I don't know how much, if any, anyone lead the boos. But they weren't until the end after Ted rejected calls for the endorsement, and many even turned their back on him. Would be kind of dumb if actual delegates were involved in some conspiracy to boo him. Apparently even some from his own delegation booed and were upset. Personally, I would have booed and/or called for it as well.

jimnyc
07-21-2016, 05:22 PM
I think Trump knew this would not bode well for Ted.

No doubt. The other thread I started is a different angle of things, that perhaps it was part of a plan. Who knows. But one man had a plan and submitted it, and then was allowed to do exactly as planned. It was VERY smart if his team then turned around and used it to their advantage, or tried to counter it. Look how quick Newt was on his feet about the COTUS and voting conscience and what not. Ted took a chance and I think he's going to regret that.

Black Diamond
07-21-2016, 05:24 PM

Ok. I disagree with what I said. And I apologize. I think you value pledges.

But I don't think Ted would have been putting party over family if he had said I don't like what was said about my family but Trump is better than Hillary so vote for him.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2016, 05:25 PM

What I distilled this all down to in my mind is, Cruz has a massive blinding ego. You'd have to, to make that speech in that forum. And that makes me question his heart for God- the main thing I liked about him. I wish things were different as I like his policies.

Elessar
07-21-2016, 05:37 PM
What I distilled this all down to in my mind is, Cruz has a massive blinding ego. You'd have to, to make that speech in that forum. And that makes me question his heart for God- the main thing I liked about him. I wish things were different as I like his policies.

I am on the fence with this.

If Trump did not really respect him in all honesty, why did Cruz show up? Is it Ted's ego
that took him there? There were barbs traded back and forth during the primaries. Cruz just
seems now to come off as a weak man searching for a meaning to himself.

I do think, on the other hand, family should not be touched unless they inject themselves
into this process.

Kathianne
07-21-2016, 05:40 PM

If Trump did not really respect him in all honesty, why did Cruz show up? Is it Ted's ego
that took him there? There were barbs traded back and forth during the primaries. Cruz just

I do think, on the other hand, family should not be touched unless they inject themselves
into this process.

I agree. What's weird was the reporting of some yelling at Heide, "Goldman Sachs" when Trump has already let it be known that he has a GS tip dog in line for Treasury. Once again looking like an Obama 3rd term.

My guess is that Cruz thinks eventually Trump will come tumbling down, win or lose in November. He may be right in that, but I just don't think it's necessarily a given that folks would turn to Cruz.

Abbey Marie
07-21-2016, 05:42 PM

into this process.

Shoot, does this mean we have to be nice to Hound Dog Willy? :laugh: