PDA

View Full Version : Why?

Kathianne
07-23-2016, 07:45 AM
I just ran across this article/interview and felt somewhat better. I've said since the beginning I could understand the frustration and appeal, but couldn't get how or why the messenger, so obviously flawed, was embraced.

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/dreher/trump-us-politics-poor-whites/

It's not just 'poor whites' but those that feel someone is at least voicing their experiences. Doesn't change the results of what is happening, but at least a bit of an explanation.

SassyLady
07-23-2016, 03:58 PM
I just ran across this article/interview and felt somewhat better. I've said since the beginning I could understand the frustration and appeal, but couldn't get how or why the messenger, so obviously flawed, was embraced.

It's not just 'poor whites' but those that feel someone is at least voicing their experiences. Doesn't change the results of what is happening, but at least a bit of an explanation.

I just happened to catch one of the CNN panel discussions about the convention and Van Jones (a former Obama czar) was there. He said the DNC should be worried because trump is speaking to a class of society that hasn't been represented in a long time.....blue collar white males.... from either party. There's been representation for every other group, i.e., minorities, LGBT, illegals, etc..... and now Trump is taking up their cause. Said this aspect of his campaign cannot be overlooked.

Kathianne
07-23-2016, 04:00 PM
I just happened to catch one of the CNN panel discussions about the convention and Van Jones (a former Obama czar) was there. He said the DNC should be worried because trump is speaking to a class of society that hasn't been represented in a long time.....blue collar white males.... from either party. There's been representation for every other group, i.e., minorities, LGBT, illegals, etc..... and now Trump is taking up their cause. Said this aspect of his campaign cannot be overlooked.

Well he may well win, then we'll all see how it pays out.

revelarts
07-23-2016, 04:46 PM

Here's one simply explanation.

many right leaning americans imagine themselves one way. With flags, Apple Pie, strong, constitutional, charitable, fair minded and Christian. But in reality many are something else entirely and those other virtues are often a self delusion, and a mask for when the real face wants what it wants. And realistically the virtues are a role that's really only meant to be played out among a narrow circle.

Gunny
07-23-2016, 07:40 PM
Well he may well win, then we'll all see how it pays out.

Having worked for contractors/developers I can tell you one thing. They are merciless. He may represent blue collar white males but they best plan on earning their pay. You work or get a pink slip. There's no in between with those guys.

Abbey Marie
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Having worked for contractors/developers I can tell you one thing. They are merciless. He may represent blue collar white males but they best plan on earning their pay. You work or get a pink slip. There's no in between with those guys.

Good. Exactly how it should be.

Elessar
07-23-2016, 08:12 PM
I grew up in what might be considered, by many, to be Appalachia in North Eastern WVA. It was not
the same as further down to the south or west as among the large coal fields.

I know what those people lived in and dealt with. They were hard-scrabble decent folk.

My white family was just as poor as many of the black families in town were. We were all
looked down upon by the 'gentry' of town, who felt they were above and better than others.
Stuck up and snobbish they were, only caring about their comforts and connections.

Democrats! Most all tooting the same horn, not giving a crap about the rest of their neighbors.
There were, however in defense, a lot of Conservative Democrats there who would face off to
the liberal Dems. Robert C. Byrd and Harley O. Staggers were Conservative Dems and served
in the Congress for decades.

It is no wonder that WVA has turned into a largely Republican State.

Gunny
07-23-2016, 08:23 PM
Good. Exactly how it should be.

That's going to be a yes and a no. They will flat kill you to make a deadline. I was a retired Marine. If I wanted to away from home 12 hours a day6 days a week I could have stayed in and made more money.

And it was because of a lack of manpower management and time management skills. I don't want to die in the South Texas sun because you can't bring your ass out and manage your people. They jerk off all day to collect a check. Then the rest of us get caught up paying the price in the end because we are the ones that work and know what we're doing. You ain't a helper if you ain't helping.

So I don't trust their ruthless crap. I can remember going home just to get up and go back and if you DARE call in, they act like you just shot their oldest child. And when you make the deadline? THEY get the bonus. You get your hourly rate.

And from the snippets I've seen of his tv show, he was exactly like that.