PDA

View Full Version : Coffee - wrong pipe

jimnyc
07-25-2016, 07:44 AM
This happened to me once before, today was the second. I was chugging the last large sip of my coffee, and once all in my mouth, I had that horrid feeling that it wasn't going to go down. Ever have a lot of liquid in your mouth and realize it's about to go down the wrong way? It's not like you gently spit it back in the cup.

Well, this time I realized what was happening. I prevented myself from choking for like 10 seconds, enough to get to the bathroom. I thought for sure I would just spit it in the sink. Nope, opened bathroom door and it came out like I've been drinking vodka for a week. Some even went through my nose. NOT a pleasant experience.

And as bad as that sounds? Last time I was only able to turn right while at my desk, so the coffee landed on my desk, floor, garbage can, fish tank...

Moral of story? DO NOT chug coffee!!

GravyBoat
07-25-2016, 10:58 AM
I have frequent swallowing problems (no cracks) after a small stroke some 25 years ago. A person has to be real careful if they have such a problem, you can aspirate and get pneumonia and even die. Besides taking the time to chew small bites and swallow slowly, a strong cough is the best defense against an aspiration.

jimnyc
07-25-2016, 11:35 AM
I have frequent swallowing problems (no cracks) after a small stroke some 25 years ago. A person has to be real careful if they have such a problem, you can aspirate and get pneumonia and even die. Besides taking the time to chew small bites and swallow slowly, a strong cough is the best defense against an aspiration.

Yikes!

I'm usually fine, in this instance I was just in a rush and guzzled, instead of sipping like a human being. :)

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-25-2016, 12:56 PM
This happened to me once before, today was the second. I was chugging the last large sip of my coffee, and once all in my mouth, I had that horrid feeling that it wasn't going to go down. Ever have a lot of liquid in your mouth and realize it's about to go down the wrong way? It's not like you gently spit it back in the cup.

Well, this time I realized what was happening. I prevented myself from choking for like 10 seconds, enough to get to the bathroom. I thought for sure I would just spit it in the sink. Nope, opened bathroom door and it came out like I've been drinking vodka for a week. Some even went through my nose. NOT a pleasant experience.

And as bad as that sounds? Last time I was only able to turn right while at my desk, so the coffee landed on my desk, floor, garbage can, fish tank...

Moral of story? DO NOT chug coffee!!

Thats payback because you should know by now , that one only chugs alcoholic beverages....
All others are forbidden, even coffee.
Didn't you ever read the fine print? ;) --Tyr