PDA

View Full Version : Ward Churchill Fired

red states rule
07-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Another lib bites the dust

Regents vote to fire Churchill

BOULDER – The University of Colorado Board of Regents voted to terminate controversial professor Ward Churchill on Tuesday evening.

The Board of Regents passed a motion to accept the recommendation from CU President Hank Brown to fire Churchill from his position in the Ethnic Studies department.

The measure passed with an 8 to 1 vote. The vote was made just after 5:30 p.m. and Cindy Carlisle was the dissenting vote. The move came after academic committees found in 2006 that Churchill was guilty of academic misconduct, including plagiarism.

Immediately after the decision was announced people in the crowd booed and some swore at the board members.

Churchill and his supporters then participated in a Native American ceremony outside of the building.

"I am going nowhere," said Churchill. "This is not about break, this is not about bend, this is not about compromise."

Also after the board made its decision, Brown and Board Chair Patricia Hayes spoke with the media.

"It's been a long hard day," said Hayes. "Not an easy decision for the board."

"One of the most difficult decisions a university has to face happened today and I don't think we had a choice," said Brown.

Hayes disputed the claim that Churchill had made earlier in the day on Tuesday that the decision to fire him was pre-determined.

"The university has, over the last two and a half years, orchestrated an amazing performance, in some ways, of creating the illusion of scholarly review," said Churchill during a news conference with his attorney, David Lane. "We will be going into court to expose the nature of that fraud."

"The only surprise today was that it took as long as it took and we got one vote. I'm always surprised when somebody stands up and does the right thing," said Lane.

"(The other day) somebody asked me, 'What do you think the board is going to do?' And I didn't know," said Hayes. "I really didn't know where my fellow board members were coming from until we had the discussion today."

"This case was an example not of mistakes, but an effort to falsify history and fabricate history and in the final analysis, this individual did not express regret or apologize," said Brown. "This is a faculty that has an outstanding reputation and this move today protects that reputation."

"At the end of the day we had to look at what these three committees had presented to us and what 25 tenured faculty had said and that was really important to all the board members," said Hayes.

When Churchill arrived for the vote, he was carrying two very long poles, which are a Native American symbol. People with Churchill also brought drums.
http://www.9news.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=74224

LiberalNation
07-24-2007, 09:20 PM
Took them a long time. This scandle happened almost two years ago I'm thinkin.

red states rule
07-24-2007, 09:24 PM
Took them a long time. This scandle happened almost two years ago I'm thinkin.

But it is nice it finally happened

To bad he will probably be hired at another liberal college

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 09:26 PM
But it is nice it finally happened

To bad he will probably be hired at another liberal college

Liberal College? :laugh2:

manu1959
07-24-2007, 09:55 PM
he will sue....he will win a settlement for wrongful termination and both sides will agree to keep it all quiet....wonder which wacko uni will hire him next?

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 10:13 PM
he will sue....he will win a settlement for wrongful termination and both sides will agree to keep it all quiet....wonder which wacko uni will hire him next?

You never know, he may get a job with one of the nut job Democratic Presidential Candidates. :laugh2:

red states rule
07-25-2007, 04:22 AM

USC/Berkeley is very possible

red states rule
07-25-2007, 04:23 AM
You never know, he may get a job with one of the nut job Democratic Presidential Candidates. :laugh2:

Running mate with Dennis "Spaceman" Kucinich perhaps

Abbey Marie
07-25-2007, 10:29 AM
I think I know what Michael Moore's next movie will be titled: Tenure!