PDA

View Full Version : Age and a Generation Gap

Gunny
07-26-2016, 08:30 PM
Couple of things came up recently to prompt this. I listen to people constantly whine about what they don't have nowadays. I wonder how they'd have survived in MY world?

I didn't know what tv was until I was almost 5.

I spent hours watching the stoplights from a motel room in NYC when we came back figuring out what they did. I'd never seen one.

No AC. And I lived in the South mostly.

People died of stuff we take for granted today.

We had no cell phones. No computers. You had a rotary dial phone on the kitchen wall. When we got all "high tech" we got push button phones in the 70s.

And this ain't a woe is me thread. It's a what the Hell is wrong with you thread. If all your technology goes away, how do you survive?

Kathianne
07-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Well I am well aware of the issues that would happen if there was a takedown of the grid, until that happens though, folks will keep on. It would effect a whole lot more than the products of the last 50 years.

The likelihood of a return to the 18th C is unlikely to happen by choice.

Gunny
07-26-2016, 09:43 PM
Well I am well aware of the issues that would happen if there was a takedown of the grid, until that happens though, folks will keep on. It would effect a whole lot more than the products of the last 50 years.

The likelihood of a return to the 18th C is unlikely to happen by choice.

Think about it Kath. I'm a high school educated Marine and then electrician and I know how to take down a grid. What if someone with a real ambition to do so goes after it?

Most younger folks will be cut off from the world they know.

Black Diamond
07-26-2016, 09:46 PM
Think about it Kath. I'm a high school educated Marine and then electrician and I know how to take down a grid. What if someone with a real ambition to do so goes after it?

Do books still exist? Apart from Kindle

Kathianne
07-26-2016, 09:50 PM

Gunny, once your batteries run down, you too! Then there is the fact you and I know each other via the Web. We're all dependent on it, the survivors have the brains and money to either prepare for such or the ability to go and get what they need.

If it were a matter of an actual country-wide attack, that couldn't be brought up fairly quickly-I'd be toast.

So would most, even the preppers. It would be a 'state of nature' for which most are not able to prepare.

Gunny
07-26-2016, 10:02 PM
Gunny, once your batteries run down, you too! Then there is the fact you and I know each other via the Web. We're all dependent on it, the survivors have the brains and money to either prepare for such or the ability to go and get what they need.

If it were a matter of an actual country-wide attack, that couldn't be brought up fairly quickly-I'd be toast.

So would most, even the preppers. It would be a 'state of nature' for which most are not able to prepare.

Perhaps. I am dependent on the web only for entertainment. I lived without it long enough to know how to stay alive. When it comes down to it, nothing matters but that. Without that, everything else is pointless.

I see the coolness of the net. I talk to you when back in the day you know it'd be snail mail, I kow you're as old as I am. Remember those 3-5 days one way for a letter?

I'm not beong accusatory so much as objective. How do we survive as a society if you take away the only think these kids know?

And don't worry, Kath. You ain't that far away. I'll bring along an extra horse.:laugh:

Black Diamond
07-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Perhaps. I am dependent on the web only for entertainment. I lived without it long enough to know how to stay alive. When it comes down to it, nothing matters but that. Without that, everything else is pointless.

I see the coolness of the net. I talk to you when back in the day you know it'd be snail mail, I kow you're as old as I am. Remember those 3-5 days one way for a letter?

I'm not beong accusatory so much as objective. How do we survive as a society if you take away the only think these kids know?

And don't worry, Kath. You ain't that far away. I'll bring along an extra horse.:laugh:
You can climb Devil's Bridge.
:cool:

Kathianne
07-26-2016, 10:12 PM

The kids would adapt much better than those like myself. They have the physical things going for them, which fits right into the whole state of nature. Strongest and smartest will survive, eventually rule. That is it in nutshell.

Gunny
07-26-2016, 10:21 PM
You can climb Devil's Bridge.
:cool:

I don't know what that is.

Gunny
07-26-2016, 10:29 PM
The kids would adapt much better than those like myself. They have the physical things going for them, which fits right into the whole state of nature. Strongest and smartest will survive, eventually rule. That is it in nutshell.

Christ Almighty. You saying I have to saddle your horse? Them saddles ain't exactly light and I ain't exactly young. Damn can I ever pick 'em.

Where you live you head for water, So will the food. One place you're safe with me is the desert. I know the SW like the back of my hand.

Kathianne
07-26-2016, 10:33 PM
Christ Almighty. You saying I have to saddle your horse? Them saddles ain't exactly light and I ain't exactly young. Damn can I ever pick 'em.

Where you live you head for water, So will the food. One place you're safe with me is the desert. I know the SW like the back of my hand.

I can ride horses! LOL! Well maybe not without my shoulder, so let's hope it holds off for at least 6 months!

Gunny
07-26-2016, 10:53 PM
I can ride horses! LOL! Well maybe not without my shoulder, so let's hope it holds off for at least 6 months!

Ma'am, you ride a horse with your knees. They'll go wherever you want. If you trust the horse, he's heading to water. You don't need a hand to ride one. Like as not you'll rear 'em. That whole jerking on the reins is Hollywood BS.

Since you told me you're knee high to a grasshopper we'd have to get you a little pony. :laugh: Can't haul much though. Gonna need a pack mule.

Kathianne
07-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Ma'am, you ride a horse with your knees. They'll go wherever you want. If you trust the horse, he's heading to water. You don't need a hand to ride one. Like as not you'll rear 'em. That whole jerking on the reins is Hollywood BS.

Since you told me you're knee high to a grasshopper we'd have to get you a little pony. :laugh: Can't haul much though. Gonna need a pack mule.

Last time I rode was about 10 years ago, did something change regarding mounting? My arms were in use. :laugh2: Yes to the knees and directions, but I remember holding reins at the horn and holding onto that horn!

Gunny
07-26-2016, 11:34 PM
Last time I rode was about 10 years ago, did something change regarding mounting? My arms were in use. :laugh2: Yes to the knees and directions, but I remember holding reins at the horn and holding onto that horn!

*just shaking head* Holding onto the horn? Saving your little butt's going to be harder than staying alive. :laugh:

Kathianne
07-27-2016, 12:04 AM
*just shaking head* Holding onto the horn? Saving your little butt's going to be harder than staying alive. :laugh:

It's a long fall for me!

my arm is hurtin' it figures into everything right now. :laugh2:

Noir
07-27-2016, 04:39 AM
If I were to look at the impact on generations I think I'd be much more concerned about older generations losing access to medicines, than younger generations losing access to the Internet.

Gunny
07-27-2016, 04:49 AM
If I were to look at the impact on generations I think I'd be much more concerned about older generations losing access to medicines, than younger generations losing access to the Internet.

You think? Most of us old hardasses refuse to take medication. FYI.

darin
07-27-2016, 06:58 AM
If all your technology goes away, how do you survive?

We don't. We'd have to set limits on technology remaining - but if we go back to even, say, 1900, or 1930 most of us die.

Noir
07-27-2016, 07:17 AM
You think? Most of us old hardasses refuse to take medication. FYI.

I'm glad medical science is but an inferior substitute to 'hardassness'. Infections simply don't stand a chance.

Abbey Marie
07-27-2016, 07:57 AM
Do books still exist? Apart from Kindle

They do in my home. I have yet to download a book. I especially love to hold krinkly plastic covered library books.

Abbey Marie
07-27-2016, 08:00 AM

I left the house yesterday without my phone, and had no time to go back for it. I must admit, it was a very uncomfortable morning.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
07-27-2016, 09:40 AM
They do in my home. I have yet to download a book. I especially love to hold krinkly plastic covered library books.

I have over 3K books....
99% are hardback, first editions or else very rare books . Many are signed by the author.
I have one that is the only known copy in the world.

My tagline pretty much says it all in regards to books...
Knowledge is power and yes I can survive in the woods, first thing secure a water source in a defensible position.
Bring weapons (guns, knives, axes and ammo), other needed supplies and knowledge along to survive.
After that its guts, willingness to do whatever is necessary( willingness to kill all opposition), and intelligence that will be the key factor in surviving.
I trapped and hunted even as a young kid.
Hank Williams-- " A Countryboy Can Survive" , sho'bez da truff.... -Tyr

Elessar
07-27-2016, 01:14 PM
Well...growing, we did not have cable TV in our area until the late 60's...used rabbit ears!
Phones were all dial types.
Many radios and TV's were mostly tube type as the transistor kind were still in
their infancy. Some transistor radios were on the market, but they were pretty shoddy.

These Days -
I see so many Kids...Young Folk...walking along the street with their head stooped over
pecking into a mobile device, not paying any attention to things around them.

People have to immediately jump on their cell phone as soon as they get into a vehicle
and start yakking away, paying no attention to backing out or turning.

People yakking on a phone in a store, blocking the aisle, or slowing down the checkout
stand.

Got my rifle, shotgun, axe, bow, knives, tarps, poncho liner, sleeping bag,plenty of line. I'll survive.

Gunny
07-27-2016, 01:30 PM
I'm glad medical science is but an inferior substitute to 'hardassness'. Infections simply don't stand a chance.

Shall I bother to list all the herbal remedies you can use that are just as effective or would it be a waste of bandwidth on you?

And being a hardass and not relying on medication does a WHOLE lot for your natural immune system. I get rid of sinus infections with natural herbs. It works.

Gunny
07-27-2016, 01:38 PM
I left the house yesterday without my phone, and had no time to go back for it. I must admit, it was a very uncomfortable morning.

Of course. It would change our way of life. But I remember that way of life. The people I knew lived around the corner. Nowadays they live around the world. No google for directions. I'm not against technology. I'm against relying solely on it.

Everyone takes for granted something that can easily be taken away. I didn't say it was going to be comfortable. But when you lose everything, you survive or die.

The one thing I stated way back when is if 9/11 had been tactical rather than symbolic, I'd have take out the power grid with those planes. Not downplaying the Twin Towers, but taking out the grid would have done far more damage to a lot more people over a longer period of time.

Gunny
07-27-2016, 01:42 PM
Well...growing, we did not have cable TV in our area until the late 60's...used rabbit ears!
Phones were all dial types.
Many radios and TV's were mostly tube type as the transistor kind were still in
their infancy. Some transistor radios were on the market, but they were pretty shoddy.

These Days -
I see so many Kids...Young Folk...walking along the street with their head stooped over
pecking into a mobile device, not paying any attention to things around them.

People have to immediately jump on their cell phone as soon as they get into a vehicle
and start yakking away, paying no attention to backing out or turning.

People yakking on a phone in a store, blocking the aisle, or slowing down the checkout
stand.

Got my rifle, shotgun, axe, bow, knives, tarps, poncho liner, sleeping bag,plenty of line. I'll survive.

I got 2 freakin' axes and lots of knives. And of course I have a poncho liner. That's a no brainer. I'll come hang out with you. I don't need google maps. I know how to get to I-5 and turn right.

You'll know me when you see me. I'll be the guy leading a pony with a midget on it. :laugh2:

Kathianne
07-27-2016, 02:14 PM
Of course. It would change our way of life. But I remember that way of life. The people I knew lived around the corner. Nowadays they live around the world. No google for directions. I'm not against technology. I'm against relying solely on it.

Everyone takes for granted something that can easily be taken away. I didn't say it was going to be comfortable. But when you lose everything, you survive or die.

The one thing I stated way back when is if 9/11 had been tactical rather than symbolic, I'd have take out the power grid with those planes. Not downplaying the Twin Towers, but taking out the grid would have done far more damage to a lot more people over a longer period of time.
Take away all the toys, all of them. All would be fine, though full of angst. Take away cars, at first problems, but when folks realize no jobs, no gas, no groceries-no heat in cold climes...

food, heat, clothing...money no longer an issue...

state of nature. Especially going south quicker in urban areas, then suburban. Rural folks have more skills for roughing it, to a degree. More access to food from source, knowledge of how to care for live to food...

GravyBoat
07-27-2016, 02:23 PM
I have a gap in my "gernation". Can I use super glue to fill it? Or would bondo be a better choice?

I was going to hit the report button, but it said only use for rules violation. Misspellings aren't a rules violation, not in my book anyway, not in this age of common core.

:idea:

Gunny
07-27-2016, 02:23 PM
Take away all the toys, all of them. All would be fine, though full of angst. Take away cars, at first problems, but when folks realize no jobs, no gas, no groceries-no heat in cold climes...

food, heat, clothing...money no longer an issue...

state of nature. Especially going south quicker in urban areas, then suburban. Rural folks have more skills for roughing it, to a degree. More access to food from source, knowledge of how to care for live to food...

It would be an adjustment but those of us that grew up that way will do a lot better. You better hope so. I'm you're closest and best hope and have a map. :laugh: If'n I can get you on the damned horse. I got duct tape for that shoulder. :laugh:

:) LOL

Kathianne
07-27-2016, 02:29 PM
It would be an adjustment but those of us that grew up that way will do a lot better. You better hope so. I'm you're closest and best hope and have a map. :laugh: If'n I can get you on the damned horse. I got duct tape for that shoulder. :laugh:

:) LOL

Indeed, though those that 'grew up' knowing how to raise and slaughter animals' isn't confined to those without tech toys-you being a case in point.

Those urban folks will likely learn how soon enough, if forced to. So far we're avoiding the problems of crime, which would be horrendous. I'm too tired for that though. ;)

Gunny
07-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Indeed, though those that 'grew up' knowing how to raise and slaughter animals' isn't confined to those without tech toys-you being a case in point.

Those urban folks will likely learn how soon enough, if forced to. So far we're avoiding the problems of crime, which would be horrendous. I'm too tired for that though. ;)

Oh I agree. Those that take are still going to try and take. You have to live with the land and fight off the idiots. The issue is way more complicated than I'm making it sound easy because I take for granted knowledge and training.

Survival is a grueling life. There's no fun in that statement. In the desert. Limited water and food. And everyone wants to kill you. You can check me off on all the boxes.

I'm just teasing you because I can. :)

crin63
07-27-2016, 07:14 PM
I'm as prepared as I can financially afford to be. I stay prepared for another major earthquake here in So Cal. I need more water stored up though. 60 gallons isn't enough.

We had a wind storm in 2011 that knocked out all the power for 3 days. Folks went nuts. Every affordable generator in So. Cal was sold. Homes were being robbed. People found out the truth about how easy it is to buy a gun. These don't want a gun, don't need a gun types went running out to buy guns to protect themselves only to find out they had to wait 10 days. Water and shelf food dried up quick.

Kathianne
07-27-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm as prepared as I can financially afford to be. I stay prepared for another major earthquake here in So Cal. I need more water stored up though. 60 gallons isn't enough.

We had a wind storm in 2011 that knocked out all the power for 3 days. Folks went nuts. Every affordable generator in So. Cal was sold. Homes were being robbed. People found out the truth about how easy it is to buy a gun. These don't want a gun, don't need a gun types went running out to buy guns to protect themselves only to find out they had to wait 10 days. Water and shelf food dried up quick.

My points exactly. Most that think 'ahead' have food for their family +a couple for 3 days to 3 weeks. Water? Like you say, 60 gallons does't last long, but takes up considerable space.

Keeping food in date or buying more expensive nonperishable is expensive.

Most won't have more than a few days of food, if water goes out? Perhaps less. After a week? Better be armed or making alliances.

Gunny
07-27-2016, 10:32 PM
My points exactly. Most that think 'ahead' have food for their family +a couple for 3 days to 3 weeks. Water? Like you say, 60 gallons does't last long, but takes up considerable space.

Keeping food in date or buying more expensive nonperishable is expensive.

Most won't have more than a few days of food, if water goes out? Perhaps less. After a week? Better be armed or making alliances.

Get some iodine tablets. You put them in the water. Shake them up. Loosen the cap then shake again.