PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky's Sex Offender Law Struck Down

nevadamedic
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
LOUISVILLE, Ky. -- When Kentucky's new sex offender law went into effect last October, Louisville Metro police officers went door-to-door looking for convicted sex offenders. The law ruled that they could no longer live within 1,000 feet of a church, school, day care or a park with a pool.

Those who support the law said children come first. But several sex offenders who violated it took legal action claiming the new residence restrictions violated their rights.

"There's a new punishment for the people that have already served their debt to society," said Plantiff's Attorney Michael Goodwin last October. "The constitution forbids these new punishments that they have already been punished for."

Tuesday, District Judge Donald Armstrong agreed.

He ruled the law is unconstitutional and should not apply to anyone convicted prior to the date it went into effect.

Armstrong also said it should only affect accused sex offenders with pending criminal charges.

http://www.wlky.com/news/13746555/detail.html

I agree with this Judge. You also have people who are convicted of a Sex Offense for say being with someone who is 16 when they were 18 and this law affected them as well. I think that is crap, that shouldn't be illegal let alone a Sex Offense. Now if it were people who are under lifetime supervision or high risk sex offenders then I agee with this law.