PDA

View Full Version : Going to be a Grammar Critic.

Elessar
07-30-2016, 07:28 PM
I see it all the time and makes me wonder. See it in responses all the time and even
printed media!

When did the word "OF" replace "HAVE"?...as in..

I would of instead of I would have, or would've..

Could of instead of could have or could've.

Should of instead of should have or should've...

Improper use of their, they're, and there...

Then this text speak crap...

U...is a letter, not a word or pronoun..

R...is a letter, not a word, adverb, or verb.

This list could be endless...:laugh:

Gunny
07-30-2016, 09:05 PM
I see it all the time and makes me wonder. See it in responses all the time and even
printed media!

When did the word "OF" replace "HAVE"?...as in..

I would of instead of I would have, or would've..

Could of instead of could have or could've.

Should of instead of should have or should've...

Improper use of their, they're, and there...

Then this text speak crap...

U...is a letter, not a word or pronoun..

R...is a letter, not a word, adverb, or verb.

This list could be endless...:laugh:

I HATE "irregardless'. There is no suck f-ing word.

I just look at it this way ... ESPECIALLY since this computer and my phone like to put words up I never typed ...

Have a little brother who was always running around correcting everyone. Still does, matter of fact. He's an authority on everything and everyone. Yet he could never understand why no one wanted him around. Which, he conveniently blamed on me.

I was more intelligent that a lot of people I hung out with. But I always talked TO them, not DOWN TO them. I'm a grammar nerd. I just never saw it worth losing a friend over.

hjmick
07-30-2016, 09:07 PM
Don't get me started, I may never stop...

Kathianne
07-30-2016, 09:20 PM
I expect most could spend days correcting grammar here, heck I could spend a day editing my own. For the most part I just write here, no worries. What gets me crazy about my own is how often I drop words that seem useless, until I go back and read what I wrote.

Don't get me started on my punctuation, always use a style book for formal writing!

Gunny
07-30-2016, 09:20 PM

Just don't name names and it can be fun.

Elessar
07-30-2016, 09:37 PM

I dare You! :laugh:

Gunny
07-30-2016, 09:43 PM
"Hot water heater". Just WTF do you think a water heater makes?

SassyLady
07-31-2016, 01:44 AM
These ones
Those ones

:slap:

Gunny
07-31-2016, 04:24 AM
"but however". I hear alleged journalists say this all the time. One or the other you morons.

revelarts
07-31-2016, 11:16 AM
grammer ... what's that?
splain lucy

Gunny
07-31-2016, 11:23 AM
grammer ... what's that?
splain lucy

Here's a freebie. Ricky never said anything but gibberish when he went on a rant.

Elessar
07-31-2016, 01:34 PM
Let's try the 'Your, You're, You are' mess.

Or the 'to and too' mess...sometimes typo's, I know.:laugh:

I am fully fluent in Typonese!

Elessar
07-31-2016, 01:37 PM
Here's a freebie. Ricky never said anything but gibberish when he went on a rant.

Yeah...unravel that one!

revelarts
07-31-2016, 02:13 PM

not really Gunny. He may have been going really fast, and I've read that sometimes even some spanish speakers couldn't pick up everything from him because of his Cuban accent/dialect.

here he's got a bit of spanglish going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ivqXzmrZ0

Atticus Finch
07-31-2016, 03:20 PM
How about using "prolly" instead of probably.It makes me want to pull my hair out.

Abbey Marie
07-31-2016, 04:07 PM
Here's one that gets on my nerves:

"One of the only...".

If it's an only, by definition it cannot be part of a group, however small.

Drummond
07-31-2016, 06:46 PM
"Hot water heater". Just WTF do you think a water heater makes?

Well .. since you ask, I could say that a water heater may produce warm water, not quite hot enough to qualify as 'hot' .. but, anyway ..

I have a question.

I've often seen the wording 'could care less' used, when I would say 'couldn't care less'. I've seen it only on American blog sites such as this, so I've come to the conclusion that it's an Americanism, something you'd accept as correct in the US.

Am I right, or wrong ... wrong enough for 'could care less' to qualify as incorrect grammar in your country, as well as mine ?

Atticus Finch
07-31-2016, 06:52 PM
Well .. since you ask, I could say that a water heater may produce warm water, not quite hot enough to qualify as 'hot' .. but, anyway ..

I have a question.

I've often seen the wording 'could care less' used, when I would say 'couldn't care less'. I've seen it only on American blog sites such as this, so I've come to the conclusion that it's an Americanism, something you'd accept as correct in the US.

Am I right, or wrong ... wrong enough for 'could care less' to qualify as incorrect grammar in your country, as well as mine ?You are using it correctly....if you could care less it means there is still a measure of care left....if you couldn't care less, that's it,you are done caring....I think we get grammatically lazy here in the USA....I'm just as guilty at times.

Elessar
07-31-2016, 07:15 PM
You are using it correctly....if you could care less it means there is still a measure of care left....if you couldn't care less, that's it,you are done caring....I think we get grammatically lazy here in the USA....I'm just as guilty at times.

'Could not care less' is a final, no holds barred as You say.

Another one that makes me wonder..."I cannot wait to...(see this, hear this, experience this)" - whatever it may be;
If you cannot wait...go do IT!

If 'IT' will come out in a few days, weeks, or months...just say "I am anxious to...______(fill in the blank)".:laugh:

Bilgerat
07-31-2016, 08:13 PM
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/11390326_1014819401864258_1837575361760389331_n.jp g?oh=9e0c7785e0eed0ce11c5d37d480cfb43&oe=581B7F06

Gunny
07-31-2016, 09:31 PM
not really Gunny. He may have been going really fast, and I've read that sometimes even some spanish speakers couldn't pick up everything from him because of his Cuban accent/dialect.

here he's got a bit of spanglish going

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9ivqXzmrZ0

Disagree with you, Rev. My dad's business being a linguist and I got a bunch of trips to stupid bases so he could learn freaking more. He is fluent in both Spanish and Arabic. And we spent a LOT of time in S FL. What I learned later was he was spying on Cubans.

For my own part I took 3 years of Spanish. One in Texas and 2 in S FL. I can recognize the difference in dialects perfectly. I can read and write Spanish more grammatically correct than most Hispanics.

The whole point was for him to NOT make any sense, but just go off. It was a sitcom. He wanted the laughs from the audience.

Don't be so serious about everything. This is supposed to be a fun thread.

Gunny
07-31-2016, 09:38 PM
How about using "prolly" instead of probably.It makes me want to pull my hair out.

That' more a matter of vernacular rather than grammar. I'll be the first to tell you, I talk and sound like a Texan. I drawl my words and use vernacular. Jim says I sound like a Southerner but I really don't. I sound like a Texan. I can tell where most Southerners are from by their dialects. We don't have just one.

Conversely, I am the same way. Y'all all sound like yankees. :laugh:

And that typonesia crap? Consider me terminal. :laugh2:

revelarts
07-31-2016, 09:49 PM
Disagree with you, Rev.......
Don't be so serious about everything. This is supposed to be a fun thread.
I brought up I luv lucy in a thread about grammar because i'm so serious gunny? lol

Gunny
07-31-2016, 09:51 PM

I have a question.

Am I right, or wrong ... wrong enough for 'could care less' to qualify as incorrect grammar in your country, as well as mine ?

The verbs are "could" and "couldn't" In each case. both would be correct. The former is an action while the latter is benign. If you "couldn't" care less your statement is cancelling itself out.

I just say I don't give a damn. Takes less time and effort and no one has to guess how I feel. :)

OAK
07-31-2016, 09:54 PM
Y'all ever hear the phrase, "Don't sweat the small stuff."? :poke:

Gunny
07-31-2016, 10:01 PM
I brought up I luv lucy because i'm so serious gunny lol

If there's an I Luv Lucy episode I've missed, you can point it out. That's goes for Gilligan's Island, I Dream of Jeannie, et al. If it was a rerun in the 70s, I've seen it.

I actually DID ask my dad what he was saying. Since I can't bear to watch any of those shows anymore I'm not going to verify for you. :laugh:

We all say dumb stuff. In TX, you cut the lights off and warsh your teeth. And we got hot water heaters. It took me a long time and a concerted effort to not say the latter.

revelarts
07-31-2016, 10:07 PM

"Don't sweat the small stuff."
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's something grammatically incorrect about that phrase.

I can understand people's frustration with bad grammar to a point and having certain items get on theiye're nerves.
But I tend to have more of problem with people's bad content and logic more than bad grammar. Grammatically speaking i'm far more impressed with someone who BY EXAMPLE writes and speaks well. Rather than those that scold others so much. And i'm even more impressed by those who use the language to make points clearly or use language creatively.

Communication IMO is more art and personality than science, at it's best. However everyone should have a solid grasp of common structure for a base line.

Gunny
07-31-2016, 10:10 PM

Interesting. Have you ever heard that what may be unimportant to you others are willing to die for? You are placing a value on your opinion that it is better. What you consider "small stuff" may be very important to the opponent.

Never underestimate nor second-guess your opponent.

revelarts
07-31-2016, 10:17 PM
Interesting. Have you ever heard that what may be unimportant to you others are willing to die for? You are placing a value on your opinion that it is better. What you consider "small stuff" may be very important to the opponent.

Never underestimate nor second-guess your opponent.
"Never underestimate nor second-guess your opponent."

What you talkin' bout Gunny?
What Opponent? grammer nerds wiling to KILL for proper use of an a Adverb or a Conjunction?
what the Heck man? lol!!

Gunny
07-31-2016, 10:19 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that there's something grammatically incorrect about that phrase.

I can understand people's frustration with bad grammar to a point and having certain items get on theiye're nerves.
But I tend to have more of problem with people's bad content and logic more than bad grammar. Grammatically speaking i'm far more impressed with someone who BY EXAMPLE writes and speaks well. Rather than those that scold others so much. And i'm even more impressed by those who use the language to make points clearly or use language creatively.

Communication IMO is more art and personality than science, at it's best. However everyone should have common structure for a base line.

But you are doing exactly what he is saying. The use of grammar IS a science. And I totally agree that the content matters. You think anyone that disagrees with you is wrong or not thinking.

That's a dangerous position to hold. Thinking everyone else should think like you. Everything you said you liked in communication is me. But you let not liking the answer cloud your judgement.

revelarts
07-31-2016, 10:27 PM

I can understand people's frustration ....
But I tend to ....i'm far more impressed .... i'm even more ....

Communication IMO is more... However everyone should have a solid grasp of common structure for a base line....

But you are doing exactly what he is saying. The use of grammar IS a science. And I totally agree that the content matters. You think anyone that disagrees with you is wrong or not thinking.

That's a dangerous position to hold. Thinking everyone else should think like you. Everything you said you liked in communication is me. But you let not liking the answer cloud your judgement.

Gunny either it's time for your nap buddy Or are you just dying to pick a fight for fun, it's hard to tell online.

IMO, means in my opinion.
saying, I can understand Other people's frustration, means i understand other people's placing importances on the details of grammar.

what about my statement makes you think my position is DANGEROUS? lol. Or that i believe EVERYONE should hold my view?
If everyone held my View there'd BE NO computer code. cause people like me could not BEAR to stay within the programing grammatical lines.

like you said, lighten up

Gunny
07-31-2016, 10:37 PM
"Never underestimate nor second-guess your opponent."

What you talkin' bout Gunny?
What Opponent? grammer nerds wiling to KILL for proper use of an a Adverb or a Conjunction?
what the Heck man? lol!!

Can you ever just leave something fun alone? What am I going to do? Zap a lightning bolt up your ass through my monitor? I wish I could do that. I'd be zapping jimnyc in the ass daily. If not hourly.

You don't have to kill people to have an opponent. I learned playing Chess and baseball. Think I was 6 years old assassin?

So what the heck is right. You're ruining a thread. If you want to argue with me we can go elsewhere. Everyone else is trying to have a little fun.

Elessar
07-31-2016, 11:42 PM
Gunny either it's time for your nap buddy Or are you just dying to pick a fight for fun, it's hard to tell online.

IMO, means in my opinion.
saying, I can understand Other people's frustration, means i understand other people's placing importances on the details of grammar.

what about my statement makes you think my position is DANGEROUS? lol. Or that i believe EVERYONE should hold my view?
If everyone held my View there'd BE NO computer code. cause people like me could not BEAR to stay within the programing grammatical lines.

like you said, lighten up

Shit....Just lay off, Rev...

I started this thread part in jest and part in fact.

You took it the whole way backwards and made it another of your sermons.

Give it a rest and stay on topic.

revelarts
08-01-2016, 12:19 AM
Shit....Just lay off, Rev...
I started this thread part in jest and part in fact.
You took it the whole way backwards and made it another of your sermons.
Give it a rest and stay on topic.

Everyone seems to be telling me back off and that this thread is about "jest" and "fun" but i seem to be only one laughing.

oh well carry on.

Gunny
08-01-2016, 03:00 AM
Everyone seems to be telling me back off and that this thread is about "jest" and "fun" but i seem to be only one laughing.

oh well carry on.

Nah. Just take it for what it is. You're always serious. If you want to discuss grammar as a logical discussion, as I said, we can go elsewhere. If you want to play with the vernacular, then play.

I'll admit I'm a grammar pr*ck. I can dissect a sentence in a minute. Doesn't mean we have to ruin it for others.

Gunny
08-01-2016, 03:31 AM
"Free trial for $14.95." What part of free is $14.95?

Elessar
08-01-2016, 09:18 AM

Postage and handling??:lol:

Gunny
08-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Postage and handling??:lol:

Right? I look at some of this crap and my head wants to explode. And why the f- does everything have to be $.95? Could we just have an even number please? $19.99 doesn't make me think I'm spending less than $20. Anyone that falls for that? I got some swampland in the West Texas desert to sell your ass.

Abbey Marie
08-01-2016, 01:28 PM

"Our free gift to you". Aren't gifts usually free? That is what makes them a gift. SMH.

Elessar
08-01-2016, 01:38 PM
Nah. Just take it for what it is. You're always serious. If you want to discuss grammar as a logical discussion, as I said, we can go elsewhere. If you want to play with the vernacular, then play.

I'll admit I'm a grammar pr*ck. I can dissect a sentence in a minute. Doesn't mean we have to ruin it for others.

English and Phys. Ed. Major....In English I focused on writing, communication, and Grammar. My typing and spelling
can stink, but correct Grammar is what divides the lazy and ignorant from the level-headed and intelligent.

Back to picking on Grammar 'errors'!

Ohhh...Rev....not going to respond to your IM. You already have your answers right here in the open.

Elessar
08-01-2016, 01:42 PM
Right? I look at some of this crap and my head wants to explode. And why the f- does everything have to be $.95? Could we just have an even number please? $19.99 doesn't make me think I'm spending less than $20. Anyone that falls for that? I got some swampland in the West Texas desert to sell your ass.

Someone once told me that is a marketing ploy to make the product more appealing.
Never made a great deal of sense to me!:laugh:

Gunny
08-01-2016, 02:06 PM
Someone once told me that is a marketing ploy to make the product more appealing.
Never made a great deal of sense to me!:laugh:

It's an obvious ploy. If you can't see through it you need to hand over the check book.

Drummond
08-01-2016, 06:28 PM
The verbs are "could" and "couldn't" In each case. both would be correct. The former is an action while the latter is benign. If you "couldn't" care less your statement is cancelling itself out.

I just say I don't give a damn. Takes less time and effort and no one has to guess how I feel. :)

Thanks for that (.. and a good suggestion).

It's a noticeable difference between Americans and English people, though. 'Could care less' is a wording I'd never encountered before my American blog days started. No English person would use that .. I'm sure ..

Elessar
08-01-2016, 07:02 PM
Thanks for that (.. and a good suggestion).

It's a noticeable difference between Americans and English people, though. 'Could care less' is a wording I'd never encountered before my American blog days started. No English person would use that .. I'm sure ..

What I have seen is a difference in the Dialects in various English speaking Nations!

You Brits, Us USA, Canadians, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Kiwi's, and the Aussie's (whose is unique).
It is an interesting blend.

Drummond
08-01-2016, 08:21 PM
What I have seen is a difference in the Dialects in various English speaking Nations!

You Brits, Us USA, Canadians, Scots, Irish, Welsh, Kiwi's, and the Aussie's (whose is unique).
It is an interesting blend.

We have different sayings for saying the same thing.

One immediately comes to mind -

American version ... 'Don't get your panties in a bunch'.

English version ... 'Don't get your knickers in a twist'.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-01-2016, 09:00 PM
My grammar made the best chocolate cookies and apple pies in the world.
I WAS HER FAVORITE GRANDCHILD AND GRAMMAR SPOILED ME A BIT WHEN WE VISITED HER HOME..
MY GRAMMAR WAS THE BEST COOK IN THE WORLD...--;)
Nobody made better cornbread and biscuits than my sweet grammar.......--TYR

Elessar
08-01-2016, 09:11 PM
We have different sayings for saying the same thing.

One immediately comes to mind -

American version ... 'Don't get your panties in a bunch'.

English version ... 'Don't get your knickers in a twist'.

Harry Potter version....'Don't get your wand in a knot'!:laugh:

Gunny
08-01-2016, 09:38 PM
"Our free gift to you". Aren't gifts usually free? That is what makes them a gift. SMH.

The latest current ploy I've noticed for a few years now is "free" means give us your e-mail address then you get bombarded. Try finding out price of a Bowflex. They won't let you in without it. Then your e-mail address gets put on a list they share.

Pretty much why I do zilch on the net. The point is, it is deliberate misuse of grammar to lure people in.

OAK
08-01-2016, 09:48 PM
The latest current ploy I've noticed for a few years now is "free" means give us your e-mail address then you get bombarded. Try finding out price of a Bowflex. They won't let you in without it. Then your e-mail address gets put on a list they share.

Pretty much why I do zilch on the net. The point is, it is deliberate misuse of grammar to lure people in.I have a separate email account just for that kind of crap. I seldom even check it.

Gunny
08-01-2016, 10:06 PM
I have a separate email account just for that kind of crap. I seldom even check it.

I did have one of those burn accounts.. Probably not active anymore. I got tired of trying to weed it out. I do zero business on the net anymore. You don't need my e-mail address to tell me what the price of something is.

And "just 5 easy payments of $19.99" sounds a lot like a hundred bucks to me.

SassyLady
08-02-2016, 03:05 AM
Me and ?.

Never put yourself first.

Gunny
08-02-2016, 03:35 AM
Me and ?.

Never put yourself first.

You are quite correct. However, especially if you are Southern, it's "Me n whoever went down by the crick."

I do understand it is proper to place yourself last. I learned a lesson once. My first wife was about as useless with the English language as it gets. New Yorker. Go figure. :laugh:

I had grown up always being corrected. I was basically a recruit from birth. SO when I got married, I just acted as I knew how to. I was always correcting her. I didn't mean anything by it.

One day she just wheeled around and said " stop f-ing correcting me". The lesson I learned from that is I was being jist like my father. Nothing's ever good enough nor right. I dead-ended THAT. So I tend to not correct people unless I'm screwing with them.

It isn't about knowledge always. It's about other peoples feelings.

sundaydriver
08-02-2016, 06:02 AM
These ones
Those ones

:slap:

During a project I worked with a production supervisor that only used the terms them & them's. Never being a grammar Nazi I never said anything about it to him even though it was a running joke with others he dealt with. Once during a trying time While explaining changes that would need to be made to the process to him he became very frustrated with following the technical explanation for doing so and he lashed out and yelled "and I can't understand them big words you are using". I went silent for a few seconds and then asked; what words? These & those, couldn't help myself. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
08-02-2016, 11:01 AM
You are quite correct. However, especially if you are Southern, it's "Me n whoever went down by the crick."

I do understand it is proper to place yourself last. I learned a lesson once. My first wife was about as useless with the English language as it gets. New Yorker. Go figure. :laugh:

I had grown up always being corrected. I was basically a recruit from birth. SO when I got married, I just acted as I knew how to. I was always correcting her. I didn't mean anything by it.

One day she just wheeled around and said " stop f-ing correcting me". The lesson I learned from that is I was being jist like my father. Nothing's ever good enough nor right. I dead-ended THAT. So I tend to not correct people unless I'm screwing with them.
It isn't about knowledge always. It's about other peoples feelings.

Either people want to learn or they don't. And those who do, tend to pay attention. The ones who don't will never learn a thing.

Elessar
08-02-2016, 12:17 PM
@Hera (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3468) once told me that when she did her student teaching in Anaheim CA,
she corrected a student's lousy grammar.

She said (paraphrasing) that she was pulled aside by a tenured teacher. and
told that 'we do not correct their grammar...it hurts their self-esteem".

I was thinking, well WTF are teachers supposed to do? Kiss each kid's butt
and tell them how great they are?

Gunny
08-02-2016, 12:29 PM
Either people want to learn or they don't. And those who do, tend to pay attention. The ones who don't will never learn a thing.

In my opinion, Abs, most people do not. I don't get it, but I understand it as a situation. You have to deal with people for who they are, not who you want them to be. I definitely do not know the right answer.

I often think the same thing about a LOT of things. Politics is definitely one. Some people just don't want to see what is actually there, and they are worse about their own faults.

SassyLady
08-03-2016, 04:15 AM
Anyways.

Gunny
08-03-2016, 07:53 AM
This one don't bother me but I KNOW it bothers others: "Fixin' to". You're ALWAYS "fixin' to" in Texas. :laugh:

SassyLady
08-03-2016, 02:37 PM
This one don't bother me but I KNOW it bothers others: "Fixin' to". You're ALWAYS "fixin' to" in Texas. :laugh:

Here's one for you:

I gotta lotta fixins for suppa

Gunny
08-03-2016, 02:42 PM
Here's one for you:

I gotta lotta fixins for suppa

Other half of the family's from AL, ma'am. I know what that means. Means go wash your hands and put on a shirt to me. :)

Hera
05-12-2017, 11:43 AM
@Hera (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=3468) once told me that when she did her student teaching in Anaheim CA,
she corrected a student's lousy grammar.

She said (paraphrasing) that she was pulled aside by a tenured teacher. and
told that 'we do not correct their grammar...it hurts their self-esteem".

I was thinking, well WTF are teachers supposed to do? Kiss each kid's butt
and tell them how great they are?

Yes, Elessar, that is exactly what they want teachers to do. We live in the age of the participation trophy. Thus, the world or pansies we now get to deal with daily.

Gunny
05-12-2017, 12:18 PM
Talk about resurrecting the dead. Got me responding to some really old crap.:laugh:

Bilgerat
05-12-2017, 12:19 PM

Around here it's "fittin too"

Bilgerat
05-12-2017, 12:22 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mfz3kFNVopk

Elessar
05-12-2017, 01:38 PM
Yes, Elessar, that is exactly what they want teachers to do. We live in the age of the participation trophy. Thus, the world or pansies we now get to deal with daily.

Ohhh! Welcome back, stranger!:beer: