PDA

View Full Version : MLB Players and Rituals

Gunny
08-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Y'know, O played baseball for over 10 years. These pitchers and batters just slay me. Got to readjust everything after each pitch. The batter has to stand outside the box and swing 10 times, then get in the box and swing 10 times.

How about you get up to the plate and hit the damned ball? Ain't a lot of math going on here. Ball + bat = hit. Duh.

Elessar
08-02-2016, 12:22 AM
Y'know, O played baseball for over 10 years. These pitchers and batters just slay me. Got to readjust everything after each pitch. The batter has to stand outside the box and swing 10 times, then get in the box and swing 10 times.

How about you get up to the plate and hit the damned ball? Ain't a lot of math going on here. Ball + bat = hit. Duh.

Some showmanship...some fetish (Ohhh...my wristband slipped).

Swing the bat ten times...posing for holy pictures! What is the warm-up circle for??:laugh:

Ball+Bat+Pitch+Swing=Strikeout, a la Nolan Ryan!

Gunny
08-02-2016, 02:05 AM
Some showmanship...some fetish (Ohhh...my wristband slipped).

Swing the bat ten times...posing for holy pictures! What is the warm-up circle for??:laugh:

Ball+Bat+Pitch+Swing=Strikeout, a la Nolan Ryan!

They stand there, readjust their gloves. have to knock the dirt off their shoes, adjust their pants ... we never even had any damned gloves. You stepped up to the plate, measured across once to ensure distance and you were ready to go.

And lucky ass me, I get Arizona Rattlers games. I live as close to Dallas as I do Phoenix. WTF? I hate the Rattlers. I'm usually hoping they get their asses kicked. Put some real teams on.

Elessar
08-02-2016, 12:06 PM
They stand there, readjust their gloves. have to knock the dirt off their shoes, adjust their pants ... we never even had any damned gloves. You stepped up to the plate, measured across once to ensure distance and you were ready to go.

And lucky ass me, I get Arizona Rattlers games. I live as close to Dallas as I do Phoenix. WTF? I hate the Rattlers. I'm usually hoping they get their asses kicked. Put some real teams on.

Sometimes I think they are just trying to freeze out the pitcher, coming very close to a rare 'delay of game' call.
Still....lots of showmanship.

I did my warm-ups in the on-deck circle, never wore gloves, and simply measure the strike zone...might
shuffle some dirt back into the box, though. Sweat bands were always in place to begin with, as was my bandanna
across my forehead (could not stand wearing a cap).

Gunny
08-02-2016, 01:41 PM
Sometimes I think they are just trying to freeze out the pitcher, coming very close to a rare 'delay of game' call.
Still....lots of showmanship.

I did my warm-ups in the on-deck circle, never wore gloves, and simply measure the strike zone...might
shuffle some dirt back into the box, though. Sweat bands were always in place to begin with, as was my bandanna
across my forehead (could not stand wearing a cap).

Problemis, then the damned pitcher is doing the same thing. Fiddling with the ball. Pretending to be looking at the guy on first.

And what is with these damned gloves? Crap. I had a mitt. I didn't need assorted crap to go out and hit a ball. I learned to play barefoot and in cut-off jeans. Because my dad was deployed, I learned to play with my mom.

These guys are ridiculous and they drag the game out forever.

Elessar
08-02-2016, 06:05 PM
Problemis, then the damned pitcher is doing the same thing. Fiddling with the ball. Pretending to be looking at the guy on first.

And what is with these damned gloves? Crap. I had a mitt. I didn't need assorted crap to go out and hit a ball. I learned to play barefoot and in cut-off jeans. Because my dad was deployed, I learned to play with my mom.

These guys are ridiculous and they drag the game out forever.

I just used a golf glove inside my full glove for padding...used to get some wicked come-back hits
as a pitcher and nasty hard throws to the plate as a catcher. One of our 1st basemen had an
arm like a cannon...:laugh:

Play short-field behind the bases did not matter much.

Gunny
08-02-2016, 06:44 PM
I just used a golf glove inside my full glove for padding...used to get some wicked come-back hits
as a pitcher and nasty hard throws to the plate as a catcher. One of our 1st basemen had an
arm like a cannon...:laugh:

Play short-field behind the bases did not matter much.

I played short and 2nd base. I hated short. I'm a lefty. 2nd was easy for me. We never padded our gloves. Thought never crossed our minds. I sucked as a pitcher but I guaran-damn-tee you I could get the ball from the outfield to plate in one shot.

Looks like we're the only two baseball players here. :laugh:

Elessar
08-02-2016, 09:23 PM
I played short and 2nd base. I hated short. I'm a lefty. 2nd was easy for me. We never padded our gloves. Thought never crossed our minds. I sucked as a pitcher but I guaran-damn-tee you I could get the ball from the outfield to plate in one shot.

Looks like we're the only two baseball players here. :laugh:

Golfers?? Twain said it best..." Golf is a good walk wasted"!:laugh:

Gunny
08-03-2016, 01:44 AM
Golfers?? Twain said it best..." Golf is a good walk wasted"!:laugh:

I don't consider golf a sport. It's a game. I can get a better workout playing ping pong.

jimnyc
08-03-2016, 01:24 PM
I was always a pitcher, like I was always QB, just had a good arm. But anyway, even in the little leagues you would have the knuckleheads that had to click their heels like they are going to OZ, their cleats (I had $10 Kmarts), scratching a path into the box. I felt like just beaning them in the head. When I got to bat it was like Gunny said, walked out there, got in the box and got in my stance, send me the pitch.

Gunny
08-03-2016, 02:13 PM
I was always a pitcher, like I was always QB, just had a good arm. But anyway, even in the little leagues you would have the knuckleheads that had to click their heels like they are going to OZ, their cleats (I had $10 Kmarts), scratching a path into the box. I felt like just beaning them in the head. When I got to bat it was like Gunny said, walked out there, got in the box and got in my stance, send me the pitch.

I hear ya. If I tried pulling all that crap I'd have been benched. We had a time limit in LL. I think it was 90 minutes. I don't remember. You go 9 innings or to the time limit. Two other teams need to take the field and ther are 2 more after them and so on.