PDA

View Full Version : 4 Released Hostages, $400 Million Paid Secretly

Kathianne
08-02-2016, 08:53 PM
No negotiating with terrorists? Obama does. Note since then, they're gathering more:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2016/08/02/report-us-airlifted-400-million-to-iran-as-detained-americans-were-released.html

Report: US airlifted $400 million to Iran as detained Americans were released

Published August 02, 2016

The U.S. government airlifted the equivalent of $400 million to Iran this past January, which occurred as four detained Americans were released by Tehran, the Wall Street Journal reported Tuesday.

The cash transfer was the first installment paid in a $1.7 billion settlement the Obama administration reached with Iran to resolve a failed 1979 arms deal dating from just before the Iranian Revolution.

State Department spokesman John Kirby denied the cash transfer was done to secure the release of the four Americans.

The negotiations over the [arms deal] settlement ... were completely separate from the discussions about returning our American citizens home," Kirby said in a statement. "Not only were the two negotiations separate, they were conducted by different teams on each side."

"The funds that were transferred to Iran were related solely to the settlement of a long-standing claim at the U.S.-Iran Claims Tribunal at The Hague," Kirby's statement concluded.

However, the Journal says U.S. officials acknowledge that Iranian negotiators on the prisoner exchange said they wanted the cash to show they had gained something tangible.

The Journal also reported that President Barack Obama did not disclose the $400 million cash payment when he announced Jan. 17 that the arms deal dispute had been resolved. The administration has not disclosed how the $1.7 billion was paid, except to say it was not paid in dollars.

The cash flown to Iran consisted of euros, Swiss francs, and other currencies because U.S. law forbids transacting American dollars with Iran.

Since the cash was airlifted, Iran's Revolutionary Guard has arrested two more Iranian-Americans. Tehran has also detained dual-nationals from France, Canada and the U.K. in recent months.

Elessar
08-02-2016, 09:11 PM
More shaky ground for this wanna-be dictator....Damn.

Gunny
08-03-2016, 08:07 AM
More shaky ground for this wanna-be dictator....Damn.

He needs to be sharing a cell with Hitlery.

namvet
08-03-2016, 06:23 PM
an unmarked planes lands during the night. am I missing something or is Obastards business as usual??

aboutime
08-03-2016, 09:43 PM
http://youtu.be/RhIO-ACGLMw

Of the more than 500 Flag Officers from the Pentagon who were fired since Obama took office. This is one of the lucky YES MEN who now speaks like a professional LIAR, that saved his butt from the chopping block.

fj1200
08-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Why does he do this?

Trump tells supporters he watched a video of the U.S. handing $400 million to Iran, campaign confirms he was mistaken (https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tells-supporters-watched-video-174858515.html)

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 04:15 PM
Why does he do this?

Trump tells supporters he watched a video of the U.S. handing $400 million to Iran, campaign confirms he was mistaken (https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-tells-supporters-watched-video-174858515.html)

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/08/04/top-secret-trump-claims-theres-an-iranian-propaganda-tape-of-the-u-s-hostage-ransom-payment/

“Top secret”: Trump claims there’s an Iranian propaganda tape of the U.S. hostage ransom payment

POSTED AT 2:41 PM ON AUGUST 4, 2016 BY ALLAHPUNDIT

Alarms are being raised on the left (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-iran-intelligence-briefing_us_57a26249e4b04414d1f370b9) and the right (http://ijr.com/2016/08/666003-it-didnt-take-long-for-trump-to-leak-top-secret-information-at-a-campaign-rally/) today that the tape Trump’s talking about here, which no one else has seen — and of which he says, outright, “I don’t think you’ve heard this anywhere but here” — might be something that he viewed in his first intelligence briefing for presidential candidates. The guy’s had one briefing, the theory goes, and already he’s running his mouth off at public rallies about classified information. That … does sound like something he would do, but help me figure this out: If Iran made a propaganda video of U.S. agents handing over cash for American hostages, why isn’t the tape already on Iranian TV and YouTube? The point of propaganda is to circulate advantageous information publicly. “Top-secret propaganda” would be an oxymoron. And even if there is a tape, why would U.S. intel agents play it for Trump at a briefing? Unless something unusual with national-security implications happened at the handover that the next president had to witness with his own eyes, there’s no point in screening it. The fact of the handover is already public knowledge.

Oh, and one other teensy flaw in the theory: As of yesterday, according to Paul Manafort, Trumphadn’t received his first intelligence briefing yet (http://www.mediaite.com/online/paul-manafort-denies-that-trump-is-giddy-to-use-nuclear-weapons-it-didnt-happen/).
So what the hell is he talking about here? WaPo (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/08/04/questions-abound-as-trump-claims-to-have-watched-video-leaked-by-iran-of-the-money-transfer/) thinks it’s solved the mystery:

As Fox News reported on the controversial transfer of $400 million in cash to Iran in January, it repeatedly played dark, grainy footage of shadowy figures walking off a small private plane with bags in hand. The video is often labeled as being from Jan. 17 in Geneva where three Americans first landed after being released from prison in Tehran…

The Washington Post asked Trump’s staff to explain what Trump was talking about and emailed a link to a Fox News clip that showed the January footage from Geneva, asking if that was the video the nominee saw.

“Yes,” spokeswoman Hope Hicks responded in an email. “Merely the b-roll footage included in every broadcast.”

Watch the clip and judge for yourself. What he describes sounds nothing like “dark, grainy footage” of a prisoner exchange. He’s describing high-quality footage of delivery of the U.S. payment. Hicks might have agreed to WaPo’s explanation simply to make this go away. So what’s Trump really on about? I’m torn 50/50 between believing that, yes, he’s talking about the January footage but can’t suppress his eternal impulse towards embellishment (the footage is perfect! you probably haven’t heard this anywhere else!) and believing that he hasn’t seen the January footage either and is making up the idea of a tape whole cloth because it adds some color to his standard “America’s being humiliating” message. He’s not spilling state secrets, though. He’s just a habitual liar. Whew.

aboutime
08-04-2016, 07:46 PM
Why does he do this?

I watched, and saw the same video Trump was talking about. He wasn't mistaken...the MEDIA and Hillary supporters are just looking for stuff to CHANGE THE SUBJECT from all of her LAWBREAKING.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 07:48 PM
One would think that EVERY republican would be all over this, not letting go in the slightest bit, demands for hearings, tie it all to Hillary somehow, tie Obama and Hillary together with arming rebels in Syria turning into Isis....

aboutime
08-04-2016, 07:52 PM
One would think that EVERY republican would be all over this, not letting go in the slightest bit, demands for hearings, tie it all to Hillary somehow, tie Obama and Hillary together with arming rebels in Syria turning into Isis....

Jim. In general. In AUGUST.....SUMMER in the USA every year. NOBODY PAYS ANY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS HAPPENING, unless they are Political Junkies like most of us here on DP.

Otherwise. In General. I am convinced. Of the 320 million Americans alive today. Only a tiny percentage of them are intelligent enough to know....there's gonna be an election in November. Or, they will vote for Hillary to be Trumps VICE PRESIDENT...and wait for the FREE COLLEGE, PHONES, RENT, AND WEED!

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 07:54 PM
they will vote for Hillary to be Trumps VICE PRESIDENT

I think you just made about 319 million people vomit from fear! :laugh:

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 07:57 PM

They were busy trying to hang Ryan et al. Busy.

It's less than 4 months to the election, it's Trump's job!

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 07:59 PM

Friend of mine raised this question:. Why are primaries for Congress and Senate held AFTER the convention?

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 08:04 PM
Friend of mine raised this question:. Why are primaries for Congress and Senate held AFTER the convention?
I've wondered that myself, never found a good answer. A guess would be that the voters are limited to local/regional papers to find their positions. They have to cover their district/state without all the media coverage given to Presidential candidates.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-04-2016, 08:15 PM

Hang Ryan??????
Now there is an idea that weighs great merit methinks, since the worthless bastard attacks and tries to ensure a loss for the Republican Presidential nominee.
Those that work to secure that end should not escape some form of justice if the monster Hilda-beast gets in to finish destroying this nation.

We are well past the selection process, so to me either people get over crying about how their guy lost or they by default work to help the traitorous monster (Hildabeast) get in...
Lesser of two evils may be a reality but refusing to choose the lesser obviously is in reality helping to insure the choice of the greater.
Such brutal truth may be hard to swallow but its reality..
I say to anybody, vote , but do so not to help the greater evil win...
ONLY ONE WAY TO DO THAT AND ITS NOT SITTING ON ONES HANDS OR VOTING THIRD PARTY MY FRIEND...

REPUBLICAN PARTY LEADERSHIP ATTACKING TRUMP ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING HONORABLE OR PRINCIPLED.
They are actually attempting to keep him out because they like the totally corrupted form of government we have now IMHO.
Which is obvious by their massive silence in soundly criticizing the Hildabest and the obama bastard. --Tyr

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 08:15 PM
I saw something earlier, I guess Obama was at a press conference or whatever, and was asked about whether or not any of this $400 million could end up in the hands of terrorists, and he dodged and couldn't answer. I only read the story though and didn't watch the video, I couldn't stomach 7 minutes of that asshole today.

And this story is why you have seen so much new about Trump being intensified. Trump gave them reason, sure, but don't doubt for a second that this scandal is looking to disappear as quickly as possible. "Fast and Furious" and now we had "Too Fast, Too Furious". At least for the Vin Diesel fans. :)

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 08:17 PM
Hang Ryan??????
Now there is an idea that weighs great merit methinks, since the worthless bastard attacks and tries to ensure a loss for the Republican Presidential nominee.
Those that work to secure that end should not escape some form of justice if the monster Hilda-beast gets in to finish destroying this nation.

We are well past the selection process, so to me either people get over crying about how their guy lost or they by default work to help the traitorous monster (Hildabeast) get in...
Lesser of two evils may be a reality but refusing to choose the lesser obviously is in reality helping to insure the choice of the greater.
Such brutal truth may be hard to swallow but its reality..
I say to anybody, vote , but do so not to help the greater evil win...
ONLY ONE WAY TO DO THAT AND ITS NOT SITTING ON ONES HANDS OR VOTING THIRD PARTY MY FRIEND...

REPUBLICAN PARTY LEADERSHIP ATTACKING TRUMP ARE NOT DOING ANYTHING HONORABLE OR PRINCIPLED.
They are actually attempting to keep him out because they like the totally corrupted form of government we have now IMHO.
Which is obvious by their massive silence in soundly criticizing the Hildabest and the obama bastard. --Tyr

And don't forget Ryan and his wonderful help at the borders, and incoming refugees as well.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:22 PM
I saw something earlier, I guess Obama was at a press conference or whatever, and was asked about whether or not any of this $400 million could end up in the hands of terrorists, and he dodged and couldn't answer. I only read the story though and didn't watch the video, I couldn't stomach 7 minutes of that asshole today.

And this story is why you have seen so much new about Trump being intensified. Trump gave them reason, sure, but don't doubt for a second that this scandal is looking to disappear as quickly as possible. "Fast and Furious" and now we had "Too Fast, Too Furious". At least for the Vin Diesel fans. :)

The Jews in this country need to see Obama for what he is.

Somewhere between Chamberlain and Hitler.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-04-2016, 08:32 PM
And don't forget Ryan and his wonderful help at the borders, and incoming refugees as well.

I did not forget..
I find it amazing that in a damn two horse race, people on our side , are throwing rocks at their own horse but claiming innocence if the injuries cause its loss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that far too many have let deep hatred blind them to a thing called reality and that is a damn shame IMHO....
And I know know a damn lot about hatred.
Only one thing is it EVER justified and proper to have against--that is evil....
THE KIND OF EVIL THAT HILLARY AND OBAMA BOTH REPRESENT.- Tyr

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 08:33 PM

Exactly. If Trump would just go to his rallies, stay on point, say nothing about others than Hillary, he'd likely win. The press and Dems will do everything to make it happen. He's just been so easy.

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 08:34 PM

Fine. Tell it to Wisconsin voters, he's going to win with change to spare.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:35 PM
Exactly. If Trump would just go to his rallies, stay on point, say nothing about others than Hillary, he'd likely win. The press and Dems will do everything to make it happen. He's just been so easy.

I do wonder where we'd stand if he hadn't gone after the Khans. Most conventions have a bounce

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:41 PM
Fine. Tell it to Wisconsin voters, he's going to win with change to spare.

It won't be fine when there's a terrorist attack. No one seems to be thinking of that. Or at least they aren't saying it.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:47 PM

Trump needs to sell the border issue in a different way. All the drugs that come in through Mexico...

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 08:51 PM
I do wonder where we'd stand if he hadn't gone after the Khans. Most conventions have a bounce

Hate to tell you, but his problems started the day after with the Cruz attack you all enjoyed so much. It played to his 'core' which right now looks like may be all the votes he gets. 40-45% of those that voted in the Republican primaries. Maybe less.

It's sort of weird being on the outside of all this, how you all were high fiving, cheering when he basically called his 'go it alone, self-financing, flicking off the 'traditional party regulars' those spineless tools of the elites.' He's still doing it, while whining about how they aren't 'doing what they need to,' after he sets off his little bombs all over the place.

Even when they do, he still humiliates them. Cause he's so 'strong' and non-PC. See Christie and fat boy jokes. Newt who's started giving him the shive. Preibus. Pence is minutes away.

How can they NOT support him? So loyal.

The behavior has carried over with many of his supporters, that have used social media and all available venues to tell those who wouldn't get on the train to drop dead. Those folks declined and mostly are voting for someone else. They also are more committed to blocking Trump-bullies tend to lead to that. Hillary is actively courting many, won't work on those of us that are informed, but it will on most others.

Funny how people don't like being called traitors, liberals, given binary choices, told to suck it up, and much worse.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:58 PM
Hate to tell you, but his problems started the day after with the Cruz attack you all enjoyed so much. It played to his 'core' which right now looks like may be all the votes he gets. 40-45% of those that voted in the Republican primaries. Maybe less.

It's sort of weird being on the outside of all this, how you all were high fiving, cheering when he basically called his 'go it alone, self-financing, flicking off the 'traditional party regulars' those spineless tools of the elites.' He's still doing it, while whining about how they aren't 'doing what they need to,' after he sets off his little bombs all over the place.

Even when they do, he still humiliates them. Cause he's so 'strong' and non-PC. See Christie and fat boy jokes. Newt who's started giving him the shive. Preibus. Pence is minutes away.

The behavior has carried over with many of his supporters, that have used social media and all available venues to tell those who wouldn't get on the train to drop dead. Those folks declined and mostly are voting for someone else. They also are more committed to blocking Trump-bullies tend to lead to that. Hillary is actively courting many, won't work on those of us that are informed, but it will on most others.

Funny how people don't like being called traitors, liberals, given binary choices, told to suck it up, and much worse.

Which Cruz attack? I didn't like the attack on Heidi. I need to know what I'm addressing

aboutime
08-04-2016, 09:06 PM
More useless stuff here that nobody can control in any way.

TRUTH IS: We all have to make a choice in November. Either we vote for the REPUBLICAN, or we vote for the DEMOCRAT.

YOU decide. Your choice will tell the rest of America whether you honestly care about the future, or whether you will settle for the STATUS QUO....and the FINAL NAIL IN THE COFFIN OF AMERICA.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 09:10 PM

I've done none of the above, but wanted to ask anyway, are you OK if/when the SC has a drastic change? Or if there are then any type of gun control stuff to follow? Or whatever other harm that for sure will come from Hillary, that will be much far worse than the GOP imploding and needing to fix things?

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Which Cruz attack? I didn't like the attack on Heidi. I need to know what I'm addressing

Thought it was self-evident. Self-caused downward spiral-begins after convincingly winning the GOP nomination. Hillary on the ropes with Sanders and email leaks breaking. Trump? Goes after Cruz.

Ok then.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Thought it was self-evident. Self-caused downward spiral-begins after convincingly winning the GOP nomination. Hillary on the ropes with Sanders and email leaks breaking. Trump? Goes after Cruz.

Ok then.

That's exactly what many others in the GOP are doing at this very moment in regards to this ongoing election.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 09:17 PM

Ok then.
Neither one of us is clairvoyant. He should have left Cruz and Kasich alone. Defeated opponents. Focus on the next obstacle:. Hillary.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 09:18 PM
That's exactly what many others in the GOP are doing at this very moment in regards to this ongoing election.

And playing into Obama's hands and therefore Hillary's

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 09:36 PM
I've done none of the above, but wanted to ask anyway, are you OK if/when the SC has a drastic change? Or if there are then any type of gun control stuff to follow? Or whatever other harm that for sure will come from Hillary, that will be much far worse than the GOP imploding and needing to fix things?

There will be no 'fixing' the GOP. It will be a populist party or there will eventually be an alternative. In the meantime, those unwilling to join in the populist, will vote for the best alternative.

As for SCOTUS, wish there was a choice better than Johnson, but IF he were elected I'm pretty certain his choices would be constitutionalists.

Haven't a clue who'd Trump pick, other than 'he'd probably pick some like that list made up by a conservative/libertarian leaning think tank.' Then again, maybe not.

Hillary has made clear, she'll pick liberals.

This could have been avoided, but wasn't. No sense in worrying about it now.

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 09:37 PM
Neither one of us is clairvoyant. He should have left Cruz and Kasich alone. Defeated opponents. Focus on the next obstacle:. Hillary.

She's YOUR obastacle, not mine. I won't vote for her, nor Trump. I vote for the person most in sync with my position on issues and philosophy.

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 09:41 PM

Actually, no. They are responding to current and former members that are pissed at what has been done. They too are trying to save their leads in Congress, especially the Senate, something Trump seems unworried about-though if he wins it's where he has to go for those 'all important' SCOTUS appointments.

If he doesn't win, it's the last chance to mitigate the most liberal judges that may come to pass.

So yeah, they're busy and probably damned tired of dealing with the petulant bully pitching hissy fits.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 09:43 PM
She's YOUR obastacle, not mine. I won't vote for her, nor Trump. I vote for the person most in sync with my position on issues and philosophy.

Who are you voting for again? Trump?

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 09:54 PM
I thought we were talking about where Trump has gone wrong in his campaign. How he should have started slamming Hillary once kasich and Cruz were defeated; Not about who Kathianne was voting for. Thought it was self-evident.

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 10:07 PM
I thought we were talking about where Trump has gone wrong in his campaign. How he should have started slamming Hillary once kasich and Cruz were defeated; Not about who Kathianne was voting for. Thought it was self-evident.

When there's nothing you have to say, go personal. Sorry, but I left that behind about 6 months ago, maybe longer. You brought up Hillary as an obstacle, she's not. All the GOP needed to beat her was someone the people could trust and believe could lead. So, the primaries gave us Trump. Those that voted for him celebrated, now get him to be someone the majority of the electorate can trust and believe is a leader.

Black Diamond
08-05-2016, 02:09 AM
When there's nothing you have to say, go personal. Sorry, but I left that behind about 6 months ago, maybe longer. You brought up Hillary as an obstacle, she's not. All the GOP needed to beat her was someone the people could trust and believe could lead. So, the primaries gave us Trump. Those that voted for him celebrated, now get him to be someone the majority of the electorate can trust and believe is a leader.

I have a lot to say and i didn't start the personal stuff. We were talking about Trump and how he should have attacked Hillary the day after convention, not Cruz. We weren't talking for the 800th time about how you're supporting Hillary.

Black Diamond
08-05-2016, 02:16 AM
Actually, no. They are responding to current and former members that are pissed at what has been done. They too are trying to save their leads in Congress, especially the Senate, something Trump seems unworried about-though if he wins it's where he has to go for those 'all important' SCOTUS appointments.

If he doesn't win, it's the last chance to mitigate the most liberal judges that may come to pass.

So yeah, they're busy and probably damned tired of dealing with the petulant bully pitching hissy fits.

I wonder how Romney would have reacted had Gingrich, Santorum, etc, not supported him in 2012. I am 47 percent sure he'd still be screaming.

Kathianne
08-05-2016, 06:53 AM
I wonder how Romney would have reacted had Gingrich, Santorum, etc, not supported him in 2012. I am 47 percent sure he'd still be screaming.

Well that certainly is what I'd be thinking about on 8/5/16 if I were Trump. Very useful contemplation.

Kathianne
08-05-2016, 08:09 AM
I watched, and saw the same video Trump was talking about. He wasn't mistaken...the MEDIA and Hillary supporters are just looking for stuff to CHANGE THE SUBJECT from all of her LAWBREAKING.

Trump just admitted he was 'mistaken.' https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/761511930238496772

At least he is walking back these claims a bit more timely.

fj1200
08-05-2016, 10:02 AM

Trump needs to sell the border issue in a different way. All the drugs that come in through Mexico...

But two examples of self-inflicted wounds.

fj1200
08-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Make that 3.

Why would they not support him? He was an elected governor with loads of leadership experience and who was probably 95%+ in agreement ideologically.