PDA

View Full Version : Catch phrase or Buzz words that annoy you

Atticus Finch
08-03-2016, 05:40 AM
There are several that are so overused in politics they make my skin crawl.

!. ....at the end of the day

2.....the American people want

3.....climate change

darin
08-03-2016, 06:12 AM
....people have a right to good/nutritious food

....people have a right to affordable healthcare

....next on MSNBC

....controversial....(anything)

....safety is the number one priority!

....speed kills!

Abbey Marie
08-03-2016, 02:09 PM
I reached out to him
Time for a bio-break

Atticus Finch
08-03-2016, 05:22 PM
Me time

the fact of the matter is...

Gunny
08-03-2016, 05:28 PM
I reached out to him
Time for a bio-break

I hate to sound dumb Abs, but WTH is a bio-break? I s that like watering the lawn or something?

Abbey Marie
08-03-2016, 05:36 PM
I hate to sound dumb Abs, but WTH is a bio-break? I s that like watering the lawn or something?

It's said these days at meetings to basically say "Let's all go pee now, because I need to". Or worse, lol. Bio = biological functions.

Where I grew up (South Bronx), we tend to say things bluntly and simply.
To this day, I get a little annoyed with people who do not.

Gunny
08-03-2016, 05:41 PM
It's said these days at meetings to basically say "Let's all go pee now, because I need to". Or worse, lol. Bio = biological functions.

Where I grew up (South Bronx), we tend to say things bluntly and simply.
To this day, I get a little annoyed with people who do not.

TMI. Yuck. :laugh:

Elessar
08-03-2016, 07:18 PM
Hydration break - means get a drink of water!:laugh:

A single word that make me grind my teeth - "Signage"! What is wrong with Sign or Signs??

aboutime
08-03-2016, 07:36 PM
1. AT THE END OF THE DAY

2. WHATEVER

3. AX (meaning ask)

4. COMPREHENSIVE (unspoken, but intended alternate for INCREASED TAXES)

Russ
08-03-2016, 08:29 PM
"this needs to be done sooner rather than later"
"it is what it is" (I guess I can't argue with that statement)
"ping me later"
"have you got any cycles/bandwidth/idle-time?"
"face time"
"people person"
"go to person"

Abbey Marie
08-03-2016, 10:39 PM
"this needs to be done sooner rather than later"
"it is what it is" (I guess I can't argue with that statement)
"ping me later"
"have you got any cycles/bandwidth/idle-time?"
"face time"
"people person"
"go to person"

Ping me later is the worst.

Price point
"Open concept" home
Anything Marie Osmond says

NightTrain
08-03-2016, 11:31 PM
Strict limit of 5 per caller!

Limited time offer!

Supplies are limited.

Call now!

And anything that ape Billy Mays bellowed.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9221&stc=1

darin
08-04-2016, 12:47 AM
...the word 'hours' after the 24 or military time. "hours" is implied in the time, so it's like saying it's 11pm o'clock time.

...over AND out. because over is implied in 'out'. Just say 'out'.

...speed kills. Nope - poor decision-making kills, but that puts the fault squarely upon US, and we can't be blame...it's the SPEED that caused the crash! yeah!

...not really a catch phrase, but since we're bitching...When I am having a conversation where I tell a story, and the other person's reply starts with 'Well, when I' or 'yeah...when I'...or "Well one time I' = folks who try to have a conversation by telling you about themselves instead of listening to what you're saying.

Russ
08-04-2016, 06:20 AM
...not really a catch phrase, but since we're bitching...When I am having a conversation where I tell a story, and the other person's reply starts with 'Well, when I' or 'yeah...when I'...or "Well one time I' = folks who try to have a conversation by telling you about themselves instead of listening to what you're saying.

Totally agree. Here's an example - say you see some acquaintance and happen to tell them you just got home from a week in the hospital. There's two responses you might get. Response One: "Wow, what did you have to go to the hospital for?". That's the good response. Response Two: "Yeah, I once had to go to the hospital for a week. I had a case of blah, blah, blah, yada, yada..." That's the its-all-about-me response.

darin
08-04-2016, 06:31 AM
There are several that are so overused in politics they make my skin crawl.

!. ....at the end of the day

2.....the American people want

3.....climate change

Anyone else notice his 1,2,3 make a sentence?

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:33 AM
Ping me later is the worst.

Makes me think of a golf ball.

Gunny
08-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Anything that says "If you're on Medicare ... we will handle the billing for you." Can you spell leech any better way?

crin63
08-04-2016, 09:57 AM
These things bug the crap out of me and get a negative response. They're verbal but not phrases.

Any screeching nag/hag voice.

Beating around the bush instead of just being straightforward with me.

Trying to intimidate me.

Yelling at me from across the building so you don't have to get up and walk over to me.

Elessar
08-04-2016, 12:08 PM
...the word 'hours' after the 24 or military time. "hours" is implied in the time, so it's like saying it's 11pm o'clock time.

...over AND out. because over is implied in 'out'. Just say 'out'.

...speed kills. Nope - poor decision-making kills, but that puts the fault squarely upon US, and we can't be blame...it's the SPEED that caused the crash! yeah!

Time...adding 'hours' after the military time or GMT is redundant. Use 1350 local (example) and be done with it!

Over, end of statement...Out...end of conversation! So screwed up by Hollywood!:laugh:

I use 'Well' to begin a reply to indicate I have read or heard what as said or written in
an attempt to let the other know politely it has been given due consideration.

Kathianne
08-04-2016, 12:18 PM
I like this thread! I'm feeling so very tolerant and easy going. It seems the only one I get annoyed at for grammar/spelling is myself. Gosh I'm good! Humble too! :laugh2:

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 12:43 PM
I like this thread! I'm feeling so very tolerant and easy going. It seems the only one I get annoyed at for grammar/spelling is myself. Gosh I'm good! Humble too! :laugh2:

Your not to bad.

crin63
08-04-2016, 12:54 PM
Your not to bad.

I see what you did there! :clap:

Gunny
08-04-2016, 01:40 PM
"He's a credit to his (insert race)". I just heard them say that crap about Tony Dungy being elected into the NFL Hall of Fame.

No, assholes, he's a credit to coaches. I've played for more colors of people than there are colors in the the rainbow, daddy. It gripes my ass they have to ALWAYS bring that race crap in.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 01:44 PM
"He's a credit to his (insert race)". I just heard them say that crap about Tony Dungy being elected into the NFL Hall of Fame.

No, assholes, he's a credit to coaches. I've played for more colors of people than there are colors in the the rainbow, daddy. It gripes my ass they have to ALWAYS bring that race crap in.
Which race does Dungy belong to? Caucasian or negroid?

Same question for Obama.

Gunny
08-04-2016, 02:01 PM
Which race does Dungy belong to? Caucasian or negroid?

Same question for Obama.

I honestly don't know a thing about him except he always pissed me off. But you got two black women, trying to look like white women on ESPN discussing how he's a credit to African Americans coaches.

My first basketball coaches were both Tejanos. My first sensei was Okinawan. I've had black coaches in every sport. Know what there name was? Coach.

I've had black, Hispanic and female officers and their names were sir/ma'am. I just wasn't raised that way. But when these blacks especially accuse us of being racist when they're the ones that are always bringing the crap up, it gripes my ass. They just keep their skin color in your face and I'm sick of hearing it.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 02:24 PM
I honestly don't know a thing about him except he always pissed me off. But you got two black women, trying to look like white women on ESPN discussing how he's a credit to African Americans coaches.

My first basketball coaches were both Tejanos. My first sensei was Okinawan. I've had black coaches in every sport. Know what there name was? Coach.

I've had black, Hispanic and female officers and their names were sir/ma'am. I just wasn't raised that way. But when these blacks especially accuse us of being racist when they're the ones that are always bringing the crap up, it gripes my ass. They just keep their skin color in your face and I'm sick of hearing it.
I agree with ALL your sentiments. My Point is she says a tribute his race. The dude is biracial. But she means tribute to the black race I am sure

Atticus Finch
08-04-2016, 02:33 PM
Anyone else notice his 1,2,3 make a sentence?lol.....good catch!

Gunny
08-04-2016, 02:33 PM
I agree with ALL your sentiments. My Point is she says a tribute his race. The dude is biracial. But she means tribute to the black race I am sure

I'm sorry for not being more specific. She said he was a credit to African American coaches. So she wasn't talking about his white half.

hjmick
08-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Awesome.

Stop it! Not everything is "awesome" and the more it is used, the less awesome the really awesome things are.

Fucking millennials...

Gunny
08-04-2016, 03:23 PM
Awesome.

Stop it! Not everything is "awesome" and the more it is used, the less awesome the really awesome things are.

Fucking millennials...

Dude, that is s-o-o-o 80s. :laugh:

"raised without antibiotics." You been shoving them down my throat for almost 60 years. What the crap? You don't feed your chickens and cows antibiotics?

I feel SO much better now. :rolleyes: Talk about your contrived crap. This one ought to be just below global warming.

Emergency Warning System alerts. I can step outside and tell you it's f-ing raining. There's this little clue called water coming out of the sky.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 04:20 PM
Emergency Warning System alerts. I can step outside and tell you it's f-ing raining. There's this little clue called water coming out of the sky.

Fox news alert.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 04:29 PM
I hate one that I even use often myself - "It is what it is". Well hell, isn't everything what it is, if you think about it?

And my whole life I hated something as simple as pricing - STOP making everything end in ".99" cents. Just make it an even dollar already!!

Btw, damn awesome thread!!

hjmick
08-04-2016, 04:49 PM
Fucker.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 04:52 PM
Fucker.

I know I likely use that word more than anyone else on the board. I don't know if I feel bad for annoying you with it, or a little proud that I unknowingly fucked up a portion of someones brain.

Gunny
08-04-2016, 05:18 PM
Fucker.

I know I likely use that word more than anyone else on the board. I don't know if I feel bad for annoying you with it, or a little proud that I unknowingly fucked up a portion of someones brain.

I was bout to say you're one to talk, f*cker. :laugh2:

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 05:47 PM
I was bout to say you're one to talk, f*cker. :laugh2:

I say stupid phrases and have a potty mouth. And I'm a little perverted at times.

aboutime
08-04-2016, 07:28 PM
Though this may anger, or seem insulting to many here. Call me old fashioned if you want, but I DESPISE using the F word myself, hate to hear it used so often, and have very little respect for any man, or woman who has the odd feelings of needing to use that word...rather than something else. But then I realize...(now you can really be pissed at me...I don't care)....How people who feel they need to use such words...for their own ego, or to impress others in some strange way....merely demonstrate to others...the lack of respect for others. Like it or not. Our entire nation has become a gathering of POTTY MOUTH, CHILDREN with little respect....for even THEMSELVES.

darin
08-05-2016, 12:53 AM
aboutFUCKINtime somebody called folks on their vulgarities. I think you may not understand the perfection of that word, AT.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26zues_baba-rajneesh-words-for-the-wise-the-word-fuck_fun

Only time to really cringe at the word is when guys - grown-up men above 25 maybe - using it when talking about a girl. "I need to fuck that chick!"

Grown-ups first responses might be "why's that? need a self-esteem boost? Are you broken inside and need to feel like a good person for 14 minutes?"

crin63
08-05-2016, 01:48 AM
White privilege: That one fires me up every time. I grew up during the era of affirmative action. I would go to apply for jobs and they would straight up tell me don't even bother, your skin is the wrong color since you don't have breasts.

It was in the last place I looked: Well, I should certainly hope so otherwise you're an idiot if you're still looking for it once you found it.

With all due respect: Typically it's used because there is no respect for the other person's view.

Black Diamond
08-05-2016, 02:17 AM
White privilege: That one fires me up every time. I grew up during the era of affirmative action. I would go to apply for jobs and they would straight up tell me don't even bother, your skin is the wrong color since you don't have breasts.

It was in the last place I looked: Well, I should certainly hope so otherwise you're an idiot if you're still looking for it once you found it.

With all due respect: Typically it's used because there is no respect for the other person's view.

That rankles me, too. So divisive.

Gunny
08-05-2016, 04:38 AM
Though this may anger, or seem insulting to many here. Call me old fashioned if you want, but I DESPISE using the F word myself, hate to hear it used so often, and have very little respect for any man, or woman who has the odd feelings of needing to use that word...rather than something else. But then I realize...(now you can really be pissed at me...I don't care)....How people who feel they need to use such words...for their own ego, or to impress others in some strange way....merely demonstrate to others...the lack of respect for others. Like it or not. Our entire nation has become a gathering of POTTY MOUTH, CHILDREN with little respect....for even THEMSELVES.

I think you miss the point. I use it mostly in jest and usually only with those that know it. We all react differently to certain words. On both boards I ran in the past c*nt was the only word in the word filter. I HATE that word with a passion.

In real life, I NEVER cussed in front of my children. My daughter drives me nuts doing it in front of the girls. My ex who is also a retired Marine had no such qualms.

What I WILL say is there was little hope for me from the start. I grew up in the military. Worked for 2 Marines for a couple of years before I joined. Then when I retired, I worked on construction sites.

Vernacular is not about respect. It's about who you are talking to and how you mean it. I don't cuss much in RL at all unless I'm pissed. But when it's just joking around with the guys, I don't see any harm.

You talk to people the way they talk. I learned that with my brother. Nobody ever wanted him around and you KNOW I had to analyze the crap. He was always talking down to people. Still does. I am actually more articulate than he but I talk TO people.

If you look, the people tht don't play along don't get cussed at.

aboutime
08-05-2016, 05:58 PM
I think you miss the point. I use it mostly in jest and usually only with those that know it. We all react differently to certain words. On both boards I ran in the past c*nt was the only word in the word filter. I HATE that word with a passion.

In real life, I NEVER cussed in front of my children. My daughter drives me nuts doing it in front of the girls. My ex who is also a retired Marine had no such qualms.

What I WILL say is there was little hope for me from the start. I grew up in the military. Worked for 2 Marines for a couple of years before I joined. Then when I retired, I worked on construction sites.

Vernacular is not about respect. It's about who you are talking to and how you mean it. I don't cuss much in RL at all unless I'm pissed. But when it's just joking around with the guys, I don't see any harm.

You talk to people the way they talk. I learned that with my brother. Nobody ever wanted him around and you KNOW I had to analyze the crap. He was always talking down to people. Still does. I am actually more articulate than he but I talk TO people.

If you look, the people tht don't play along don't get cussed at.

Personally, despite all of the intended reasoning, or excuses I hear for using the word. I am still unimpressed with anyone....and I do mean Anyone who feels they must lower their personal standards in our society today....by trying to be one of the boys/girls because THEY ALL USE THE WORD..thinking they are impressing those around them.
I also grew up around the Military...heard the crappy language used every day since the obvious levels of Education were so low during Nam, and onward....taking the Americans with the least backgrounds of education into the Military.
Not that I was any different than others. I just had more pride, and self control that allowed me to insist I remain Different by NOT always trying to fit in, or be one of the boys.
I grew up and was taught to RESPECT others...which also included treating others with RESPECT, and that didn't include trying to use swear words that instantly make people identify themselves to others.
My biggest disappointment, after being taught to Respect Ladies, Women, and Girls by being courteous to them came....the first time I heard a Woman using POTTY LANGUAGE, like the F word as if it was common for a woman to identify herself like a STREET PROFESSIONAL, in the Worlds Oldest Profession. I do not accept excuses for the use of that language, and I am convinced OUR SOCIETY, as well as OUR NATION are quickly becoming the Cesspool of Ignorance, Stupidity, and Irresponsible douchebags who no longer care about anything except THEMSELVES.

Gunny
08-05-2016, 07:17 PM
Personally, despite all of the intended reasoning, or excuses I hear for using the word. I am still unimpressed with anyone....and I do mean Anyone who feels they must lower their personal standards in our society today....by trying to be one of the boys/girls because THEY ALL USE THE WORD..thinking they are impressing those around them.
I also grew up around the Military...heard the crappy language used every day since the obvious levels of Education were so low during Nam, and onward....taking the Americans with the least backgrounds of education into the Military.
Not that I was any different than others. I just had more pride, and self control that allowed me to insist I remain Different by NOT always trying to fit in, or be one of the boys.
I grew up and was taught to RESPECT others...which also included treating others with RESPECT, and that didn't include trying to use swear words that instantly make people identify themselves to others.
My biggest disappointment, after being taught to Respect Ladies, Women, and Girls by being courteous to them came....the first time I heard a Woman using POTTY LANGUAGE, like the F word as if it was common for a woman to identify herself like a STREET PROFESSIONAL, in the Worlds Oldest Profession. I do not accept excuses for the use of that language, and I am convinced OUR SOCIETY, as well as OUR NATION are quickly becoming the Cesspool of Ignorance, Stupidity, and Irresponsible douchebags who no longer care about anything except THEMSELVES.

You are entitled to you opinion. AT. I don't think anything about it. I probably know more proper English than you. I grew up on actual English lit. Used ot get in to=rouble for spelling words in Brit style all the time.

It doesn't change the fact that some of us call each other names in jest. Doesn't matter what the names are. It's the intent that matters'. Tolerance. It works if you try it.