PDA

View Full Version : The Make a Wish People

Bilgerat
08-03-2016, 04:29 PM
Right off the bat, I would like to put in a great thanks for these folks. You see, one of my Grandsons' has Cystic Fibrosis.

He and his Family were approved by Make a Wish for a trip to Disney here in Orlando from Maine back a few years ago. My Lady and I joined them and had a great time.

He's eight now and still with us, fighting for every inch with a great attitude. However, even a crusty old fart like me has to claim "it seems to be dusty" when I think of what he's going through.

Now I see this on my Facebook Feed and once again I have to make that claim.

But here it goes;

“My son Eleck’s grandfather was in the military and served in Vietnam. At one point, Eleck shared a special moment with him and learned about the Army Rangers. It inspired him. However, he knew he couldn’t be a Ranger because of his condition. Eleck loves to read. In January, he was reading about Army Rangers and told me that he wasn’t able to be one because his machines can’t plug in the jungles.
So, when we found out if he was eligible for a wish, we asked him what he wanted. We said wish for anything. Instead of wishing to go to a theme park or something else that an eight-year-old might want, he wanted to be an Army Ranger. As a mother, I couldn’t have been prouder for him to wish to be someone who helps save lives and gives their life for others.
Several of the Rangers said it was the single greatest thing they did in their Army career. I even noticed how when we came home, Eleck was still wanting to live the values and principles that the Rangers teach. We are so grateful for Make A Wish New Mexico for helping make this happen.” – Kimberly

https://scontent-dft4-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/13925408_10154386681922556_6172709615807086902_n.j pg?oh=183f3d8c62e829ddeeb3e19dd7bcf022&oe=581DC6C5

Gunny
08-03-2016, 05:07 PM
Might sound stupid but I recall the Rock (Dwayne Johnson) and Stone Cold Steve Austin singing Margaritaville in the ring for Make A Wish. They totally had to break character to do it.

I f you spend the time to make a child's life happy for even a moment, I'm on the team. You never know when your minute is going to be your next or your last.

Gunny
08-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Children are funny little creatures and a total weak spot for me. I can't stand being around sick children. I always want to fix them all. The people that do this stuff have more balls than me. My troops would even dog me out about it.

They were like great another humanitarian assist with Sgt L. Guess we can plan on giving up all our extra clothes and chow. And I was like, make sure you bring extra clothes and chow you dirtbags.

I think Make A Wish is totally cool. St Jude's is as well. The reason I know about this and the vets can attest to is they strong-arm us in contributing and I did some research. I will NOT give to the Combined Federal Campaign nor the Navy Relief Society. I'm not paying your paycheck. My contribution fixes something and it ain't your wallet.

Bilgerat
08-04-2016, 10:03 AM
This is the place where they send the little ones for the Make A Wish Theme Parks

http://www.givekidstheworld.org/

Elessar
08-04-2016, 12:36 PM
I've got all the admiration in the world for this foundation.

Seen many stories where a child was 'adopted' by a Coast Guard unit and
even provided a uniform, taken on a boat ride or helo flight.

Same goes with all the other Branches of our services as well as police
and fire departments.

If you've made a little one such as this smile and feel a part of your service,
you've done another part of your duty to our people.:salute:

Gunny
08-04-2016, 02:16 PM
I've got all the admiration in the world for this foundation.

Seen many stories where a child was 'adopted' by a Coast Guard unit and
even provided a uniform, taken on a boat ride or helo flight.

Same goes with all the other Branches of our services as well as police
and fire departments.

If you've made a little one such as this smile and feel a part of your service,
you've done another part of your duty to our people.:salute:

I've pondered this a lot. You and I usually say the same thing. I'm not trying to sound exclusive. I think it's more frustrating for first responders because we have all this power in our hands and can't save a little kid. That's ALWAYS hit me hard. You give me the power of death but not life.

These kids didn't choose to be born. They should not have to suffer.

Gunny
08-04-2016, 02:29 PM
Not so funny story to go with this but my boss and I come wheeling up in the company truck on a service in front of this clinic. We just looked at each other and he flipped his phone open and called the owner of the company. We ain't doing this and we'll go home without pay. Was a Planned Parenthood clinic.

My boss was an ordained preacher and he knew how I felt about it. We got sent to different job. I will NOT participate in murdering babies. Look at all the aforementioned ones that want to live. And we just throw some away that have a chance at life? I ain't participating. I can find another job.

Gunny
08-04-2016, 05:23 PM
And I give to Wounded Warriors. Comes out of my check every month. All of those guys are little kids to me.