PDA

View Full Version : Best Live Peformance

hjmick
08-04-2016, 07:12 PM
Criteria: More than a one song performance.
Entire concert performance acceptable.
That is all...

I was cruising videos on you tube and stumbled across something I had nearly forgotten about:1985's Live Aid. Specifically, Queen's performance. It was, in a word, amazing. They stole the show from the likes of The Who ad Led Zeppelin. Some people consider it THE BEST LIVE PERFORMANCE ever. It's hard to argue otherwise. The band hadn't played together in a while... in fighting, not feeling relevant, the usual band stuff... Bu according to the story, they were the only band that took the time to rehearse. They took it seriously. It shows.

And the crowd? Well, just watch the 72,000 that filled Wembley Stadium. They say the 100,000 at JFK Stadium in Philly did the same thing...

Pay special attention to the crowd during Radio Ga Ga (2:42)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc

Freddie Mercury was as queer as a three dollar bill, but he had the best voice in Rock and Roll. Ever...

hjmick
08-04-2016, 07:16 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNwixrmdVbg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0YkaojNcnE

revelarts
08-04-2016, 08:17 PM
I have to say Queen did put on a powerful show.
definitely worthy of being put in a tops category.

hard to think of Others that fit that high, but there are a lot of great performers and performances.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a few Concerts by James Brown, and some by Tina Turner.
Janice Joplin comes to mind as well as the Doors for believe it or not. As far as gripping amazing performances.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 08:23 PM
I gotta agree about Queen and Mercury as well.

But my favorite vote? Dream Theater! Great rock band, all educated in music, and awesome live! (if anyone listens, you may appreciate to FF and find some slower songs, they're great!!) (25:00 mark for one of their best songs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fPY9PPB2E

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:28 PM
Hendrix machine gun from band of gypsies.

And of course his Woodstock medley.

Black Diamond
08-04-2016, 08:29 PM
I have to say Queen did put on a powerful show.
definitely worthy of being put in a tops category.

hard to think of Others that fit that high, but there are a lot of great performers and performances.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking of a few Concerts by James Brown, and some by Tina Turner.
Janice Joplin comes to mind as well as the Doors for believe it or not. As far as gripping amazing performances.

Light my fire including graveyard poem.

jimnyc
08-04-2016, 08:31 PM
Another, Iron Maiden - absolutely awesome live!! And if not jamming, lead singer Bruce Dickinson "drives" him and his bandmates between venues in this, as he's also a pilot!

https://i.imgur.com/ASTnXCA.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtWm-S4hUC8

hjmick
08-04-2016, 08:42 PM
Here is a list I stumbled upon while checking out the Queen video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcUXh41ttRk

The one I found most intriguing was Metallica and the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra.

Gunny
08-05-2016, 07:14 AM
Depends on what "best" means. I don't like Keith Urban, but he can put on a show. If there's an instrument he can't play. I want to know what it is. That dude is so musically talented you want to kill him.

Worst? Montgomery Gentry. Most of their music is Lynyrd Skynyrd covers.

My favorite's Reba. I'd declare war against the US for her. And I'd win. I've had a crush on her since I was a teenager. :)

And I've seen all of them live. Used to go to the San Antonio Stockshow and Rodeo every year.

Alan Jackson is totally cool. Got his autograph. Got a Brooks and Dunn tee-shirt. Almost hit me in the head. They'd fire them into the crowd from a potato gun or some crap. I was drunk as Hell. Sucks when 2 t shirts are heading for your face and you got to figure out which one is real. :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-05-2016, 11:43 AM
1976 BICENTENNIAL CONCERT , MEMPHIS TENNESSEE.
Lynyrd Skynyrd, ZZTOPS, Blue Oyster Cult, the opening act(I forget their name , was also great)...
I took my new girlfriend and had a blast...
Show started at 2pm if memory serves me well and went until 1 am next morn..
Skynyrd made the show but ZZTOPS ripped big time..
I was 24 years old , recently divorced, wilder than hell and with a stone cold fox that
could have easily been in Playboy magazine..
Hell, if not for her drug addiction I'd most likely have married that gal..

That concert beat any I've ever been to.
And that gal had a face and body to die for..
I HEARD ABOUT 8/9 YEARS LATER THAT SHE BECAME A STRIPPER IN SOME CLUB IN FLORIDA..
THATS AFTER HER DRUG ADDICTION HAD HIT FULL BLOOM AND SHE NEEDED THE EXTRA MULLA TO FEED IT..

MY YOUNGER BROTHER TOLD ME THAT SHE WAS STILL ALIVE BACK IN 2006 BUT HER INCREDIBLE BEAUTY HAD ABANDONED HER.
Life giveth and taketh away ..
Damn she was a rare gem--destroyed by drugs........-Tyr

hjmick
08-05-2016, 03:31 PM
Depends on what "best" means. I don't like Keith Urban, but he can put on a show. If there's an instrument he can't play. I want to know what it is. That dude is so musically talented you want to kill him.

My favorite's Reba. I'd declare war against the US for her. And I'd win. I've had a crush on her since I was a teenager. :)

And I've seen all of them live. Used to go to the San Antonio Stockshow and Rodeo every year.

Alan Jackson is totally cool. Got his autograph. Got a Brooks and Dunn tee-shirt. Almost hit me in the head. They'd fire them into the crowd from a potato gun or some crap. I was drunk as Hell. Sucks when 2 t shirts are heading for your face and you got to figure out which one is real. :laugh:

Robert Earl Keen puts on a good show.

Of course, so does Jimmy... well... he puts on a great show.

Black Diamond
08-05-2016, 03:36 PM

boot scootin' boogie? :)

no one should cover skynyrd. including the current "version" of skynyrd.

Black Diamond
08-05-2016, 04:51 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRE3kjL3Yjg

Gunny
08-07-2016, 10:44 AM
boot scootin' boogie? :)

no one should cover skynyrd. including the current "version" of skynyrd.

I don't look at it that way. I agree these wannabe's shouldn't try. But family? They do some songs better than the original. Simple Man and Coming Home they definitely do better.

Freebird? Eh. The technology is so much different now. Hell, I can play Freebird.

I just thought Montgomery Gentry sucked. Honest opinion. 3/4 of their show is covering other peoples' music. They played a bunch of Southern rock. I wasn't impressed.

crin63
08-07-2016, 10:56 AM
I've gotten mellow in my old age. For purely instrumental talent live on stage I have to go with Jesse Cook. I've seen him 3 times with my daughter.

GravyBoat
08-07-2016, 03:01 PM
Queen is well known as one of the best live rock acts of all time.

But now here's Rory Gallagher, one of the best live rock guitarists of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_izHVJw-XEo

https://youtu.be/_izHVJw-XEo

sundaydriver
08-08-2016, 06:32 AM
Led Zeppelin in 1971 at the Hollywood Sportatorium. The tour was beginning in Miami and this was basically a rehearsal for a couple of thousand people in a place that held 25K. They did the whole repertoire of every song they would do for the tour and for the encore did Stairway to Heaven which had not been released yet and we had never heard before.

And the crowd went wild! :laugh:

Gunny
08-08-2016, 08:46 AM
Led Zeppelin in 1971 at the Hollywood Sportatorium. The tour was beginning in Miami and this was basically a rehearsal for a couple of thousand people in a place that held 25K. They did the whole repertoire of every song they would do for the tour and for the encore did Stairway to Heaven which had not been released yet and we had never heard before.

And the crowd went wild! :laugh:

YOU were there? You the guy that was passing out the doobs? :laugh2: I had to sneak out to go see that show. Remember the dude that was messd up he jumped from about 3 stories up? Or was that the Tull concert?

Honestly, Zep was one of those bands that was better on vinyl. They did some stupid crap on stage.

I don't know if I have a "best show". May sound corny but I loved KISS. Show was better than their music.

Another worst: Garth Brooks doing "Beth". He should have been shot for that crap. :laugh:

Black Diamond
08-08-2016, 08:57 AM
I don't look at it that way. I agree these wannabe's shouldn't try. But family? They do some songs better than the original. Simple Man and Coming Home they definitely do better.

Freebird? Eh. The technology is so much different now. Hell, I can play Freebird.

I just thought Montgomery Gentry sucked. Honest opinion. 3/4 of their show is covering other peoples' music. They played a bunch of Southern rock. I wasn't impressed.

Yeah I have an attitude about originals. I am not interested in kiss without ace and peter either. I know skynyrd continues with family, but from what I saw, the little brother ain't Ronnie.

sundaydriver
08-08-2016, 09:02 AM
YOU were there? You the guy that was passing out the doobs? :laugh2: I had to sneak out to go see that show. Remember the dude that was messd up he jumped from about 3 stories up? Or was that the Tull concert?

Honestly, Zep was one of those bands that was better on vinyl. They did some stupid crap on stage.

I don't know if I have a "best show". May sound corny but I loved KISS. Show was better than their music.

Another worst: Garth Brooks doing "Beth". He should have been shot for that crap. :laugh:

I saw them three times and don't remember them doing stupid crap. Of course that may be due to my condition at the times. :laugh:

They sounded pretty damn good to me and especially liked when they would pull up chairs to the front of the stage and do the acoustical songs. And who didn't like a 15 minute solo by "Bonzo" while the others went backstage for a smoke during Whole Lotta Love!

Saw Tull a few times and they always put on a good show. I swear Ian Anderson could sing and play that flute at the same time.

Gunny
08-08-2016, 09:08 AM
Yeah I have an attitude about originals. I am not interested in kiss without ace and peter either. I know skynyrd continues with family, but from what I saw, the little brother ain't Ronnie.

IIRC, the first one that tried the "get back together" thing fell on his face. Since their names were Ronnie, Donnie and Johnnie hard to keep track. Florida rednecks ain't real original. :laugh:

I have the last CD they put out (that I know of) and I actually like it. I sometimes wonder if Ronnie isn't more famous for dying.

And speaking of ... I cruise up to the stop n rob in my rebel flag Skynyrd t shirt and the counter lady commented on it. She had a bad joke, but she's a nice girl. I was like they were dead before you were alive. Then she starts giving me a speech on survivors guilt for Collins and Rossington (whose names she didn't know). I was like you don't need to tell me about survivor's guilt, ma'am.

Alan Collins screwed himself up so bad you couldn't put him back together with bailing wire, duct tape and super glue.

Black Diamond
08-08-2016, 09:15 AM
IIRC, the first one that tried the "get back together" thing fell on his face. Since their names were Ronnie, Donnie and Johnnie hard to keep track. Florida rednecks ain't real original. :laugh:

I have the last CD they put out (that I know of) and I actually like it. I sometimes wonder if Ronnie isn't more famous for dying.

And speaking of ... I cruise up to the stop n rob in my rebel flag Skynyrd t shirt and the counter lady commented on it. She had a bad joke, but she's a nice girl. I was like they were dead before you were alive. Then she starts giving me a speech on survivors guilt for Collins and Rossington (whose names she didn't know). I was like you don't need to tell me about survivor's guilt, ma'am.

Alan Collins screwed himself up so bad you couldn't put him back together with bailing wire, duct tape and super glue.

Another hilarious one:. Van Halen reunites with David Lee Roth but replaces Michael Anthony with Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's son. He looks exactly like his mother, Valerie Bertinelli. Imagine going to "the original" Van Halen after 35 years and every time you look up at the stage you're thinking of "One day at a time". :laugh:

Gunny
08-08-2016, 09:39 AM
Another hilarious one:. Van Halen reunites with David Lee Roth but replaces Michael Anthony with Wolfgang Van Halen, Eddie's son. He looks exactly like his mother, Valerie Bertinelli. Imagine going to "the original" Van Halen after 35 years and every time you look up at the stage you're thinking of "One day at a time". :laugh:

I pay very little attention to those guys. "Let's roll up a fatty and get the band back together." "Sure thing bro. Can you slide my walker over this way so I can hook my oxygen up to it?"

It's like you were older than me back then. You're still older than me. You want me to go hop around on a stage and act like it's 1978? You better figure out how to time warp the 1978 me into today. :laugh:

I'm surprised Aerosmith hasn't made another comeback.