PDA

View Full Version : A few days away

jimnyc
08-07-2016, 07:30 PM
Just got back from a little weekend trip to NJ to spend some time with family. Nothing spectacular, but did let my son drive for the first time! He'll turn 16 in November. This was in a very closed off parking lot area, no chances whatsoever were taken. First he drove my brother in laws car, a Nissan Maxima. He really just drove in some huge circles around the place, then pulled into parking spots and backed out, some easy stuff for his first time. Then the following night I let him do the same in my truck, which will be his when he gets his license. A little touchy with the gas and brakes, but that stuff comes with experience. No crashes and all in all he did ok!

But just a few days with my sister and brother and families, good eating and chatting.

Then on Wed night I leave to go to Pennsylvania to visit my Dad who is driving up from Florida. We'll meet him in the Lancaster area and I'll stuff my disgusting fat face with some awesome foods until Saturday when I come back home. I need to get some "Lebanon Bologna" which actually tastes more like salami, but the stuff is awesome! I'll bring home 10lbs of that yummy stuff!!

And then back down there once more on the 25th for my Dad's 80th birthday!

Kathianne
08-07-2016, 09:03 PM
Just got back from a little weekend trip to NJ to spend some time with family. Nothing spectacular, but did let my son drive for the first time! He'll turn 16 in November. This was in a very closed off parking lot area, no chances whatsoever were taken. First he drove my brother in laws car, a Nissan Maxima. He really just drove in some huge circles around the place, then pulled into parking spots and backed out, some easy stuff for his first time. Then the following night I let him do the same in my truck, which will be his when he gets his license. A little touchy with the gas and brakes, but that stuff comes with experience. No crashes and all in all he did ok!

But just a few days with my sister and brother and families, good eating and chatting.

Then on Wed night I leave to go to Pennsylvania to visit my Dad who is driving up from Florida. We'll meet him in the Lancaster area and I'll stuff my disgusting fat face with some awesome foods until Saturday when I come back home. I need to get some "Lebanon Bologna" which actually tastes more like salami, but the stuff is awesome! I'll bring home 10lbs of that yummy stuff!!

And then back down there once more on the 25th for my Dad's 80th birthday!

Do they do 'blue slips' in NY? My kids got theirs at beginning of Driver's Ed. I think they had to have like 50 hours behind the wheel, before they could go to get DL. My daughter scared the bejeebers out of me! I won't go into the horror story, but she didn't get her license until she was 18. LOL! Even with that, she took her brother shopping to a mall about 15 minutes from our house. An hour and a half later son calls me and says, "We are out around Rockford, Kendall doesn't know where Rockford is or how to get home." He was 13.

Her husband drives whenever possible and she has the most fancy GPS I've seen.

I didn't have a problem with the boys, Kendall is just very ADD, no hyperactivity. Let's just say that no one wanted her on their team for sports, she never was focused and literally would shoot baskets or kick goals into her team's side. She is extraordinarily talented in the arts though, most gifted in music. For that she can focus.

Elessar
08-07-2016, 09:10 PM
My son's Grandpap was retired and taught him the basics in a buick sedan.
Yet when he got to high school I made him take Driver's Ed....then had him
try out my old 1984 GMC K-5 FWD.

He found out really quick the difference in power, handling, and turning radius.

sundaydriver
08-08-2016, 06:18 AM
How in heck did you ever end up living in an area that doesn't have such basic staples as Lebanon Bologna, Sweet Lebanon Bologna, or fresh made Ring Bologna? Get the Kid his license ASAP so he can make "goodie" runs to Pa. or NW NJ for ya.

Ahh, learning the art of motoring. At 14 I was given a 1954 Hudson Jet by an elderly woman I cut grass for. Had the Dixie Cup parking lot next to the house to learn in and my High School was at the other end of the lot which allowed me to drive to school at 14 without going onto the roads.

Does NY have "Cinderella" license for the first year that requires you to be off the road at Midnight?

crin63
08-08-2016, 10:55 AM
I learned basic driving skills in go-carts and older friends making drive their vehicles while they were engaged in extra-curricular activities with some hottie in back. I'm 14 or 15 driving a dive companies van down the freeway. Never drove on the freeway before, never drove a van before, actually never drove anything but go-carts before that.

I tried teaching my oldest son to drive but that didn't go well for me, so I paid for instructors with the next 2.

Gunny
08-08-2016, 11:06 AM
I learned basic driving skills in go-carts and older friends making drive their vehicles while they were engaged in extra-curricular activities with some hottie in back. I'm 14 or 15 driving a dive companies van down the freeway. Never drove on the freeway before, never drove a van before, actually never drove anything but go-carts before that.

I tried teaching my oldest son to drive but that didn't go well for me, so I paid for instructors with the next 2.

I learned riding a horse. :laugh:

jimnyc
08-08-2016, 05:53 PM
How in heck did you ever end up living in an area that doesn't have such basic staples as Lebanon Bologna, Sweet Lebanon Bologna, or fresh made Ring Bologna? Get the Kid his license ASAP so he can make "goodie" runs to Pa. or NW NJ for ya.

Ahh, learning the art of motoring. At 14 I was given a 1954 Hudson Jet by an elderly woman I cut grass for. Had the Dixie Cup parking lot next to the house to learn in and my High School was at the other end of the lot which allowed me to drive to school at 14 without going onto the roads.

Does NY have "Cinderella" license for the first year that requires you to be off the road at Midnight?

The cooler is coming with me, and plain and sweet lebanon bologna is coming home with me, as well as a ton of good tomatoes from out there. :)

I don't know much about the driving laws here. I think he can get his permit at 16 1/2, and then must be with a licensed driver. I didn't think this would be coming up so fast!! I thought I had forever before he would be driving!

Kathianne
08-08-2016, 06:02 PM
The cooler is coming with me, and plain and sweet lebanon bologna is coming home with me, as well as a ton of good tomatoes from out there. :)

I don't know much about the driving laws here. I think he can get his permit at 16 1/2, and then must be with a licensed driver. I didn't think this would be coming up so fast!! I thought I had forever before he would be driving!

Wow! My kids got their blue slips after they were 15.5 years. While on a blue slip, must be with licensed driver over 19, no other teens or kids in the car. It's used while in Driver's Ed, required in high school-though parents may opt for private driving lessons. Pretty much they are 'allowed' to get Driver's License at 16 with completed DE course, which requires the out of class driving hours with licensed adult. They have DE lessons to, 'behind the wheel' but it's only about 15 hours of driving, thus the extra required hours.

They do need parental OK for DL until 18, I did refuse for Kendall-I really like that kid and had serious reservations that with a tank of gas and car she'd only start to look around where she was at, when the gas ran out. It kinda was like that for a few years after she was licensed. For her, the GPS talking was a very good thing! LOL!

16 year olds though have a bunch of restrictions on them. Serious violations: any impairment-not just .08 leads to loss of license for years. Can't have more than X number of teens in the car, there's a curfew that can lead to loss of license, etc. It's been over a decade.

jimnyc
08-08-2016, 07:54 PM
Wow! My kids got their blue slips after they were 15.5 years. While on a blue slip, must be with licensed driver over 19, no other teens or kids in the car. It's used while in Driver's Ed, required in high school-though parents may opt for private driving lessons. Pretty much they are 'allowed' to get Driver's License at 16 with completed DE course, which requires the out of class driving hours with licensed adult. They have DE lessons to, 'behind the wheel' but it's only about 15 hours of driving, thus the extra required hours.

They do need parental OK for DL until 18, I did refuse for Kendall-I really like that kid and had serious reservations that with a tank of gas and car she'd only start to look around where she was at, when the gas ran out. It kinda was like that for a few years after she was licensed. For her, the GPS talking was a very good thing! LOL!

16 year olds though have a bunch of restrictions on them. Serious violations: any impairment-not just .08 leads to loss of license for years. Can't have more than X number of teens in the car, there's a curfew that can lead to loss of license, etc. It's been over a decade.

My wife got hers when she was 15 something too, that was in Virginia. I got my permit at 16.5 in NJ and then my license the day I turned 17. All the information I have so far about NY is coming from the boy. I suppose I should learn more about NY. I'm thinking about the lessons for Jordan. It can't hurt, it's just that much more experience. I thought he did well but looked a little uneasy. I'm sure that's how I looked the first few times behind the wheel.

hjmick
08-08-2016, 08:06 PM
I need to get some "Lebanon Bologna" which actually tastes more like salami, but the stuff is awesome!

I'm going to let that slide because that shit really is awesome... SELTZER'S #1!

Since you're already in Lancaster, you ought to drive over to Intercourse...

Virginville and Blue Ball are nearby as well...

Gotta love Amish country...

jimnyc
08-08-2016, 08:15 PM
I'm going to let that slide because that shit really is awesome... SELTZER'S #1!

Since you're already in Lancaster, you ought to drive over to Intercourse...

Virginville and Blue Ball are nearby as well...

Gotta love Amish country...

Will actually be getting the bologna from "Bird in Hand" at the flea market. This is the place - http://hummersmeats.com/

I can get it shipped too, but I don't know if I trust it that way.

And the best part? Both the kid and the woman hate it, so I get to eat every last bit for my fat self!! :)

But before Bird in Hand, we'll be in Intercourse for a great breakfast, then probably off to the Strasburg Railroad as usual. This trip is all about seeing Dad and eating. So much for that diet, damn! Gonna feel real bad about that. Not! Then off to the outlet malls, and likely buy shit I don't need, and then the woman won't talk to me for a week. :)

But this place makes it all worth it - http://www.shady-maple.com/smorgasbord

Like 12 bucks and then you can eat all the best Amish foods for breakfast until you explode. Really the best breakfast you'll ever have. Even "scrapple", hate it or love it, it's there!