PDA

View Full Version : Vast Differences Between Trump and Obama?

Kathianne
08-08-2016, 05:19 PM
Shocking, I tell you, shocking:

http://www.hoover.org/research/are-trump-and-obama-really-different

<header class="article-header" style="max-width: 735px; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: proxima-nova-condensed, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; line-height: 19px; display: inline-block !important;">Are Trump And Obama Really That Different?by Russell A. Berman (http://www.hoover.org/profiles/russell-berman)
via Defining Ideas (Hoover Institution)
Friday, August 5, 2016
</header>

As the American presidential election unfolds, paid surrogates and partisan journalists on both sides have an interest in maximizing the appearance of distance between Democrats and Republicans. This is the spectacle that the contest generates. While there are certainly very significant differences at stake, those differences are also susceptible to overstatement in the heat of the campaign. It is therefore useful to think about shared ground, especially between Trump’s vision and the Obama legacy (on Clinton, more below). Our polarized press could lead us to believe that Trump and Obama could not be further apart. Yet, on some key points, a Trump presidency might well be less a break with the past than a continuation and extension of Obama-era policy formations, for better or for worse.

jimnyc
08-08-2016, 05:25 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less what others seem to think about such comparisons. The primaries are over and Trump is the candidate. He's not running against Obama. I DO understand that plenty are still out there unsure, or know they are voting elsewhere. I think it's laughable to compare them, or see the same in them.

Kathianne
08-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Personally, I couldn't care less what others seem to think about such comparisons. The primaries are over and Trump is the candidate. He's not running against Obama. I DO understand that plenty are still out there unsure, or know they are voting elsewhere. I think it's laughable to compare them, or see the same in them.

Policies, oh well.

OTOH, if reading something about current events is your thing, and the current, current events have sent your blood pressure going up-something funny about the whole damn mess:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/kass/ct-moutza-july-kass-0804-20160802-column.html?utm_source=kw&kwp_0=197269&kwp_4=770605&kwp_1=387167

Kathianne
08-08-2016, 05:28 PM

Oh and if he wins and starts Obama 2, I will remind you of this! :laugh2:

jimnyc
08-08-2016, 05:30 PM
Oh and if he wins and starts Obama 2, I will remind you of this! :laugh2:

You can pin it to the top of the board. Trump IS NOT perfect, far from it - but he is no Obama or Hillary. He would have to change a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT more to be in the same league as those 2 idgits.

Kathianne
08-08-2016, 05:37 PM
You can pin it to the top of the board. Trump IS NOT perfect, far from it - but he is no Obama or Hillary. He would have to change a LOT LOT LOT LOT LOT more to be in the same league as those 2 idgits.
Seriously, did you read it? There's more than a bit of truth, you know me well enough I think to be aware that I have read Trump on issues, not too mention listening to him? Give it a read, always good to know what your friends and enemies are up to.

jimnyc
08-08-2016, 05:45 PM
Seriously, did you read it? There's more than a bit of truth, you know me well enough I think to be aware that I have read Trump on issues, not too mention listening to him? Give it a read, always good to know what your friends and enemies are up to.

Read most of it the first go round, and now all of it. I just don't see them similarly. I've watched Obama step for step for 8 years and I just don't see it. Now, in Hillary I see a clear continuation, and clear comparisons.

Gunny
08-08-2016, 06:05 PM
This one's TOO easy. Trump's got a pair his wife don't keep in a jar. Obama would back down to his freakin' own shadow. Y'all think he's Muslim ... I think he's French. He'd surrender to himself.

Kathianne
08-08-2016, 06:24 PM
This one's TOO easy. Trump's got a pair his wife don't keep in a jar. Obama would back down to his freakin' own shadow. Y'all think he's Muslim ... I think he's French. He'd surrender to himself.

Geez, how could I have missed that? :cool:

Gunny
08-08-2016, 06:40 PM
Read most of it the first go round, and now all of it. I just don't see them similarly. I've watched Obama step for step for 8 years and I just don't see it. Now, in Hillary I see a clear continuation, and clear comparisons.

I just don't get this I'd rather lose and flush everyone's future bullshit. You give me a WWII Sherman with a 75mm gun and my brain's going into overdrive figuring out how to win with it.

I'm not taking my toys and going home because the game ain't going my way.