PDA

View Full Version : Why did we stop inventing gods?

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-13-2016, 10:50 AM
Why did we stop inventing gods?

The ancients were quite good at inventing new gods. The bible shows that the Jews invented many gods before deciding that god could not be defined and settled for “I am“, as the greatest expression of god. “I am” as spoken as a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkNs512Lsk (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJkNs512Lsk)

Jews, in their oral tradition, gave man the last word in what god and his policies were to be. They accepted that the man they chose as head Rabbi of their Divine council had the power to overrule their written tradition. Man’s words, not an imaginary god, had the final say on policy. Man was supreme and not one of the imaginary gods.

Christianity then changed much of the morals and policies of their newly invented god, Yahweh, and also transferred the power of god to a man. Jesus. Jesus was now placed at the power seat at the right hand of his newly invented god and placed Yahweh in the right hemisphere of the brain, as shown in the art of the day as depicted by Michelangelo in his creation painting in the Vatican.

Islam then invented Allah, and so far, rightfully named him the last god to be invented. Foolish but true to date.

I see that search for a god as a search for the best laws and rules to live life by. After all, we cannot follow an imaginary god and can only follow the laws and rules that those imaginary gods has spoken, recognizing of course, that only a person can speak those laws and rules and that it was really a wise person who was uttering those words.

Gnostic Christians always saw those invented gods, specifically Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, as immoral and not worthy of us and that is why they named those gods as immoral and vile demiurges. This is not to say that those demiurges did not have some good policies but only says that a better god could and should be invented. Gnostic Christianity lost the god wars and was decimated the moment Christianity gained political power which they used to end freedom of religion.

Are immoral demiurges like Yahweh, Jesus and Allah, the best that mankind can come up with?

Why do you think we stopped inventing gods and settled for demonstrably immoral ones?

Regards
DL

P.S. Gods are the opium of the people.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6uEMOeDZsA)

revelarts
08-15-2016, 05:26 PM
Multiple answers to a question that you frame/load FAR to much to make it an honest question.

but in general to the basic question "why did we stop inventing gods?"
•Some men prematurely decided they didn't need any God or gods so Nature has became God via "Science" and Scientist the new priesthood.
•The major religions are so dominate that "New" gods have little room to compete.
•There are in fact hundreds of "new" cults and sects all over the world with leaders that claim to be "God" themselves Or they claim to be the messengers of the "real" god/gods.
• versions of pantheism polytheism and new age "elders" and/or aliens of the universe are also "new" gods.

So in fact we are is still doing practically the same thing.

But your question is not one to dwell on. A better question is .
Are there ways to determine if (and which) gods or God are real?

Gunny
08-16-2016, 09:24 AM
Multiple answers to a question that you frame/load FAR to much to make it an honest question.

•Some men prematurely decided they didn't need any God or gods so Nature has became God via "Science" and Scientist the new priesthood.
•The major religions are so dominate that "New" gods have little room to compete.
•There are in fact hundreds of "new" cults and sects all over the world with leaders that claim to be "God" themselves Or they claim to be the messengers of the "real" god/gods.
• versions of pantheism polytheism and new age "elders" and/or aliens of the universe are also "new" gods.

There's only one God regardless the name anyone places on Him.

revelarts
08-16-2016, 11:10 AM

I lot of people seem to think that's the case.
And it'd make somethings much easier if it were the case but Jesus and apostles and prophets don't let us make that mistake.

Elderly Joshua speaking to the new nation of Israel after they conquer the land
14 “Now, therefore, fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and truth; and put away the gods which your fathers served beyond the [River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 If it is disagreeable in your sight to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves today whom you will serve: whether the gods which your fathers served which were beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you are living; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”

In Judges the people of Israel are described as following the WRONG gods.

11 And the children of Israel did evil in the sight of the Lord, and served Baalim. And they forsook the Lord God of their fathers, which brought them out of the land of Egypt, and followed other gods, of the gods of the people that were round about them, and bowed themselves unto them, and provoked the Lord to anger. And they forsook the Lord, and served Baal and Ashtaroth.

Moses: Deuteronomy 32:16-18

16 “They made Him jealous with strange gods; With abominations they provoked Him to anger. 17 “They sacrificed to demons who were not God, To gods whom they have not known, New gods who came lately, Whom your fathers did not dread. 18 “You neglected the Rock who begot you, And forgot the God who gave you birth.

Prophet Elijah offered the King and people of Israel a choice

20 So Ahab sent for all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets (of Baal) together on Mount Carmel. 21 And Elijah came to all the people, and said, “How long will you falter between two opinions? If the Lord is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.” But the people answered him not a word.

Apostle Paul: 1Corinthians
Do I mean then that food sacrificed to an idol is anything, or that an idol is anything? 20 No, but the sacrifices of pagans are offered to demons, not to God, and I do not want you to be participants with demons. 21 You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. 22 Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy?

Apostle Paul to Timothy
For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus..

revelarts
08-16-2016, 11:13 AM
God gives this to the Prophet Isaiah
Isaiah 44

6 “This is what the Lord says—
Israel’s King and Redeemer, the Lord Almighty:
I am the first and I am the last;
apart from me there is no God.
7 Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it.
Let him declare and lay out before me
what has happened since I established my ancient people,
and what is yet to come—
yes, let them foretell what will come.
8 Do not tremble, do not be afraid.
Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago?
You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me?
No, there is no other Rock; I know not one.”

9 All who make idols are nothing,
and the things they treasure are worthless.
Those who would speak up for them are blind;
they are ignorant, to their own shame.
10 Who shapes a god and casts an idol,
which can profit nothing?
11 People who do that will be put to shame;
such craftsmen are only human beings.
Let them all come together and take their stand;
they will be brought down to terror and shame.

12 The blacksmith takes a tool
and works with it in the coals;
he shapes an idol with hammers,
he forges it with the might of his arm.
He gets hungry and loses his strength;
he drinks no water and grows faint.
13 The carpenter measures with a line
and makes an outline with a marker;
he roughs it out with chisels
and marks it with compasses.
He shapes it in human form,
human form in all its glory,
that it may dwell in a shrine.
14 He cut down cedars,
or perhaps took a cypress or oak.
He let it grow among the trees of the forest,
or planted a pine, and the rain made it grow.
15 It is used as fuel for burning;
some of it he takes and warms himself,
he kindles a fire and bakes bread.
But he also fashions a god and worships it;
he makes an idol and bows down to it.
16 Half of the wood he burns in the fire;
over it he prepares his meal,
he roasts his meat and eats his fill.
He also warms himself and says,
“Ah! I am warm; I see the fire.”
17 From the rest he makes a god, his idol;
he bows down to it and worships.
He prays to it and says,
“Save me! You are my god!”
18 They know nothing, they understand nothing;
their eyes are plastered over so they cannot see,
and their minds closed so they cannot understand.
19 No one stops to think,
no one has the knowledge or understanding to say,
“Half of it I used for fuel;
I even baked bread over its coals,
I roasted meat and I ate.
Shall I make a detestable thing from what is left?
Shall I bow down to a block of wood?”
20 Such a person feeds on ashes; a deluded heart misleads him;
he cannot save himself, or say,
“Is not this thing in my right hand a lie?”

21 “Remember these things, Jacob, for you, Israel, are my servant.
I have made you, you are my servant; Israel, I will not forget you.
22 I have swept away your offenses like a cloud, your sins like the morning mist.
Return to me, for I have redeemed you.”....

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-24-2016, 07:41 PM

That would be too easy as the obvious and only answer is that that god would jus have to show up.

The only gods showing up are people.

Regard
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-24-2016, 07:43 PM

If that god is the Christian or Muslim god, then why do you think people would follow such demonstrably immoral gods?

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-24-2016, 07:50 PM
Apostle Paul to Timothy

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus..

Is there no Trinity concept in your theology?

If not; good for you.

I would agree that the man Jesus is correct and that the god Jesus is not.

Regards
DL

aboutime
08-24-2016, 07:54 PM
Anyone posting on this forum who is so deranged, and mentally challenged to ask such a question....almost telling us...GNOSTIC believes we INVENT Gods, or GOD,...should instantly go to the nearest mental illness facility, and apply for that long, overdue LOBOTOMY. That would save such people from making such fools of themselves...HERE ON DP.

revelarts
08-24-2016, 10:24 PM
That would be too easy as the obvious and only answer is that that god would jus have to show up. The only gods showing up are people.

Regard
DL
Sorry but 'too easy' doesn't mean i'm incorrect.

However the really obvious thing is that men are NOT God or gods Gnostic.
And the easily perceived thing is that someone greater than men and nature created all that we are aware of.
The only answer is GOD.
"The Heaven declare the glory of God."
"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

...so that Gnostic Christian Bishop is without excuse.

regards

revelarts
08-24-2016, 10:35 PM
Is there no Trinity concept in your theology?
If not; good for you.
I would agree that the man Jesus is correct and that the god Jesus is not.
Regards
DL

Is there no trinity concept in your Gnostic Christian Bishop mystery religion?
To bad for you.

Sorry you don't agree with the fact of Jesus as God and man.
But , just so you know, the fact doesn't require your stamp of approval.
It's been well establish for those that are honest enough to grasp it.

57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” At this, they picked up stones to stone him, (for blasphemy) but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Sorry but 'too easy' doesn't mean i'm incorrect.

However the really obvious thing is that men are NOT God or gods Gnostic.
And the easily perceived thing is that someone greater than men and nature created all that we are aware of.
The only answer is GOD.
"The Heaven declare the glory of God."
"For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse."

...so that Gnostic Christian Bishop is without excuse.

regards

"And the easily perceived thing is that someone greater than men and nature created all that we are aware of."

Someone?

Only to fools. Especially when the god you believe in is such a vile and immoral character.

Care to debate the morality that your god shows?

How about his immoral no divorce an human sacrifice policies?

Regard
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-25-2016, 09:58 AM
Is there no trinity concept in your Gnostic Christian Bishop mystery religion?
To bad for you.

Sorry you don't agree with the fact of Jesus as God and man.
But , just so you know, the fact doesn't require your stamp of approval.
It's been well establish for those that are honest enough to grasp it.
57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!”
58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” At this, they picked up stones to stone him, (for blasphemy) but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

13 Moses said to God, “Suppose I go to the Israelites and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they ask me, ‘What is his name?’ Then what shall I tell them?”
14 God said to Moses, “I am who I am. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘I am has sent me to you.’”

If Jesus was god then the whole sacrifice myth is impossible as god cannot die.

1 Timothy 2:5-6
5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,

Note that that quote says the Man Christ Jesus. It does not say, the God Christ Jesus.

But you will not care what your own bible says as your dogma trumps the words in it.

Regards
DL

revelarts
08-25-2016, 10:28 AM
"And the easily perceived thing is that someone greater than men and nature created all that we are aware of."
Someone?
Only to fools. Especially when the god you believe in is such a vile and immoral character.
Care to debate the morality that your god shows?
How about his immoral no divorce an human sacrifice policies?
Regard
DL

Only fools say there is no God.

Debate morality? I believe we've tried the morality debate and seems you wouldn't answer some strait forward questions about definitions and the like or you made up some that fit your purpose. But i've asked you several times to clearly explain/define your "god, gods or no gods" and you refuse and begin dodging and weaving. And then REstart pissing and moaning about Christian teaching.

How about this, you start a thread about YOUR God or lack thereof and explain what you believe is TRUE. Without reference to Christianity. (if that's even possibly).
Then we can debate that?

Gunny
08-25-2016, 01:08 PM
If that god is the Christian or Muslim god, then why do you think people would follow such demonstrably immoral gods?

Regards
DL

Can you read. I said ONE God and it doesn't matter what you call Him.

And I ain't getting into your red herring argument, Gnostic. All you do is talk in circles and never say a damned thing.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Only fools say there is no God.

Debate morality? I believe we've tried the morality debate and seems you wouldn't answer some strait forward questions about definitions and the like or you made up some that fit your purpose. But i've asked you several times to clearly explain/define your "god, gods or no gods" and you refuse and begin dodging and weaving. And then REstart pissing and moaning about Christian teaching.

How about this, you start a thread about YOUR God or lack thereof and explain what you believe is TRUE. Without reference to Christianity. (if that's even possibly).
Then we can debate that?

I am Gnostic Christian so it is quite hard for me not to speak of Christian tenets since our myths were created to put against your myths.

That aside, I will try to comply.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?56193-Have-you-forgotten-that-Jesus-said-you-are-a-god

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-25-2016, 04:39 PM

And I ain't getting into your red herring argument, Gnostic. All you do is talk in circles and never say a damned thing.

That is your hearing problem and not my speaking problem. :laugh:

Regards
DL

aboutime
08-25-2016, 07:30 PM
That is your hearing problem and not my speaking problem. :laugh:

Regards
DL

WRONG AGAIN oh phony one. Until jim changes all of the TYPED posts here on DP, into AUDIO. YOU are the one with the hearing, breathing, thinking,speaking, and seeing problems. That's how most of the mentally impaired operate when trying to be someone, or something they will NEVER BE. As in intelligent, or educated.

Elessar
08-25-2016, 07:43 PM

Not going to engage this one at all. Getting into a religious wrestling match with a one-way
zealot is a fool's errand!

Abbey Marie
08-26-2016, 11:11 AM
Not going to engage this one at all. Getting into a religious wrestling match with a one-way
zealot is a fool's errand!

Yup. And just gives him more of a pulpit from which to trash Christians.

fj1200
08-26-2016, 12:38 PM
Yup. And just gives him more of a pulpit from which to trash Christians.

The joy is in making him look bad in his attempt.

Abbey Marie
08-26-2016, 12:47 PM

I know that is your fave thing to do, lol. I doubt he notices, though.

fj1200
08-26-2016, 12:49 PM
I know that is your fave thing to do, lol. I doubt he notices, though.

It doesn't matter if he does.

Abbey Marie
08-26-2016, 12:51 PM
Whatever blows your skirt up.

Gnostic Christian Bishop
08-26-2016, 04:12 PM

Indeed, but take the names away from the posts above and it is easy to see who looks like brainless dolts who ignore the issues and just throw insult about and who is showing intelligence.

Regards
DL

aboutime
08-26-2016, 08:00 PM

Good thing is. HE doesn't need much help from us.

fj1200
08-27-2016, 01:20 PM
Indeed, but take the names away from the posts above and it is easy to see who looks like brainless dolts who ignore the issues and just throw insult about and who is showing intelligence.

Regards
DL

I've been here long enough to know individuals posting style, who can defend their posit, and who will insult; you included. ;)