PDA

View Full Version : One for the Vets

Gunny
08-14-2016, 11:51 AM
So I'm watching this show last night and this alleged sniper is talking about hand to hand combat with a bayonet. My jaw dropped.

If you're an 0317 and in hand to hand combat? You're f*cked. There are 2 of you. You take your shot and didi mau. This guy was talking more sh*t than my brother does.

Elessar
08-14-2016, 02:03 PM
So I'm watching this show last night and this alleged sniper is talking about hand to hand combat with a bayonet. My jaw dropped.

If you're an 0317 and in hand to hand combat? You're f*cked. There are 2 of you. You take your shot and didi mau. This guy was talking more sh*t than my brother does.

Given that I only have knowledge of snipers from what I have read in some
History articles, and tactics in other websites, I would say this guy is a fraud with that claim.

Gunny
08-14-2016, 08:51 PM
Given that I only have knowledge of snipers from what I have read in some
History articles, and tactics in other websites, I would say this guy is a fraud with that claim.
You have 4 issue weapons and a two man team. Two M-9 Berettas, one M-16 and one bolt action M40A! with a 10x Unertl scope. Ain't no bayonet fighting going on.

CSM
08-15-2016, 06:21 AM
Hmmmm ... I would say that if a sniper team is in hand to hand combat with a bayonet, they are probably trying to open their MREs. Otherwise, I would say somebody is telling war stories and a piss poor one at that.

"No shit, there I was ...."

Gunny
08-15-2016, 02:42 PM
Hmmmm ... I would say that if a sniper team is in hand to hand combat with a bayonet, they are probably trying to open their MREs. Otherwise, I would say somebody is telling war stories and a piss poor one at that.

"No shit, there I was ...."

All due respect, Sergeant Major, I would think if you got a bayonet and a modified at Quantico Remington Model 700 that don't come with a bayonet lug, you're carrying the wrong damned gear. What the hell are you going to attach it to? A stick? Hope you got duct tape with that useless crap you're humping.

CSM
08-16-2016, 07:06 AM
All due respect, Sergeant Major, I would think if you got a bayonet and a modified at Quantico Remington Model 700 that don't come with a bayonet lug, you're carrying the wrong damned gear. What the hell are you going to attach it to? A stick? Hope you got duct tape with that useless crap you're humping.

Ok, that made me laugh.

CSM
08-16-2016, 07:08 AM
By the way, I always carried some type of knife on me and mostly still do. Didn't always carry a bayonet though....

Gunny
08-16-2016, 08:18 AM
By the way, I always carried some type of knife on me and mostly still do. Didn't always carry a bayonet though....

I always had more blades on me than half the unit. I don't think I've had a bayonet since I was Cpl. ALWAYS had a Ka-Bar. Had a Sykes-Fairbairn on my harness. Spyderco in the pocket. Gerber in the boot (still got that Gerber).

And if all else fails I got a razor in my shave kit. I will shave you to death!. :laugh:

crin63
08-16-2016, 03:03 PM
I always had more blades on me than half the unit. I don't think I've had a bayonet since I was Cpl. ALWAYS had a Ka-Bar. Had a Sykes-Fairbairn on my harness. Spyderco in the pocket. Gerber in the boot (still got that Gerber).

And if all else fails I got a razor in my shave kit. I will shave you to death!. :laugh:

I hope you don't mind since I'm not a Vet.

Great choice of blades Gunny! 4 of my favorite blades. Not sure what happened to my Sykes-Fairbairn. I picked it up in a pawn shop attached to a harness and belt.

CSM
08-16-2016, 03:17 PM
My favorite is my SOG (one of the originals I got way back when); I have a couple of Gerbers and a few Spyderco plus and assortment of whittling knives.

Gunny
08-16-2016, 03:23 PM
I hope you don't mind since I'm not a Vet.

Great choice of blades Gunny! 4 of my favorite blades. Not sure what happened to my Sykes-Fairbairn. I picked it up in a pawn shop attached to a harness and belt.

I did not intend this to be exclusive to vets. It was a mini-ha-ha moment. If you're a sniper and in hand to hand combat with a bayo, I hope your SGLI (insurance) is up to date. :laugh: I was more making fun of the technicalities. Snipers don't carry bayonets. Not in the Corps anyway.

But your input is more than welcome.

crin63
08-16-2016, 05:25 PM
My favorite is my SOG (one of the originals I got way back when); I have a couple of Gerbers and a few Spyderco plus and assortment of whittling knives.

Those old SOG are some of the best and quite pricey today. I collect knives. For me they started out as tools and moved into love for steel. I have about 40 SOG's. Most are for investment. I have a dozen Spyderco's and a dozen or so Gerbers. Started carrying Benchmade as of late but keep my Spyderco handy. Haven't had to use the Benchmade enough to completely rely on it yet.

Gunny
08-17-2016, 05:59 AM
Those old SOG are some of the best and quite pricey today. I collect knives. For me they started out as tools and moved into love for steel. I have about 40 SOG's. Most are for investment. I have a dozen Spyderco's and a dozen or so Gerbers. Started carrying Benchmade as of late but keep my Spyderco handy. Haven't had to use the Benchmade enough to completely rely on it yet.

I'll repeat something I previously posted. When First Blood came out all the jarheads needed a Rambo knife. I remember this one guy was so proud of it. The bird took a jerk and the knife went in the drink. I have to admit I busted out LMAO. A hundred bucks was good money in the 80s.

It's night, in a 46, and he wants the pilot to stop and find it. In the damned ocean. :laugh:

I always have a knife. That's not even a question.

CSM
08-17-2016, 06:10 AM
SOG I own is exactly like this one:9241

Don't much care about the monetary value but there is a bit of sentimental value for me. Doesn't hurt that it is a damn good knife!

crin63
08-17-2016, 10:39 AM
SOG I own is exactly like this one:http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9241&stc=1

Don't much care about the monetary value but there is a bit of sentimental value for me. Doesn't hurt that it is a damn good knife!

Such great knives. Here's mine. It's the latest version of it. I completely get the sentimental value. I still have 1st Gerber and Leatherman.

Gunny
08-17-2016, 01:14 PM
Y'all like to post too many damned pics. I can see my Gerber from where I sit (not that I keep it handy). Still looks like my Gerber. And it cuts paper. Sharpener in the tool bag. Then there's my machete and Bowie. Coming for a knife fight around here ain't anyone's brightest idea.

crin63
08-17-2016, 02:39 PM
Y'all like to post too many damned pics. I can see my Gerber from where I sit (not that I keep it handy). Still looks like my Gerber. And it cuts paper. Sharpener in the tool bag. Then there's my machete and Bowie. Coming for a knife fight around here ain't anyone's brightest idea.

LOL, I love my steel and I like sharing pics of them. ;-) Not as much as pics of my kids and someday Lord willing my grandkids but they're a close 2nd.

I have my Sig within reaching distance and I can see half a dozen blades from where I'm sitting.

Gunny
08-17-2016, 03:13 PM
LOL, I love my steel and I like sharing pics of them. ;-) Not as much as pics of my kids and someday Lord willing my grandkids but they're a close 2nd.

I have my Sig within reaching distance and I can see half a dozen blades from where I'm sitting.

Youngest granddaughter in the profile. She's a little doll. :)