PDA

View Full Version : Electronics vs Electricity

Gunny
08-14-2016, 01:08 PM
Bitch # 2. I'm an electrician. Don"t order a bunch of electronics and expect me to know jack. They aren't the same damned thing. And no, you can't just "switch them out". What do you think upgrade means? I had less parts in my kid's Lego set than this sh*t.

So I get told I'm not much of an electrician. Fuck. I can wire your ass from line to panel, and wire up your house. I PROVIDE POWER TO THE SOURCE/OUTLET. That doesn't make me a computer geek. Why do you think we work for different companies?

Elessar
08-14-2016, 02:24 PM
Even a dumb Boatswain's Mate like me knows the difference!:laugh:

Gunny
08-14-2016, 02:41 PM
Even a dumb Boatswain's Mate like me knows the difference!:laugh:

I honestly have no explanation. My ex was like, look I bought all these tiles. We can redo the bathroom. "We" meaning "me". I just was like no? Does my shirt say tilesetter on it? Or does it say I want to come home after 10 hours on a construction site and do construction on the damned house you insisted in having that had a perfectly good rug in the head?

People are so inconsiderate. I was never taught that. I don't get it. Don't order sh*t without talking to me first, then bitch because I don't know sh*t about it. I don't want to go to dinner in 10 minutes.

What the f*ck breaks your ass that you can't give some forward notice? We're not on a dmaned battlefield. It's stupid sh*t. But you want to involve me yet not inform me? Then get mad and blame me when I say screw this?

Sorry. No sale.

jimnyc
08-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Most folks would believe that electronics, especially when unplugged, are much less harmful than electricity, which of course is live current running through your lines.

Until you find a nice blue/dark blue cylinder looking thing, called a "capacitor", one that likes to retain much voltage/amps, and it unleashes hell on you should you accidentally bump it with your pinky finger while working on said electronic device. Your hair may stand on it's end. You may feel the buzzing all the way to your toes.

And yes, I went to school for it, know what it is full and well, doesn't mean my fat finger knew that damn thing was holding such a charge from a damn device unplugged for a day!!

Gunny
08-15-2016, 03:00 PM
Most folks would believe that electronics, especially when unplugged, are much less harmful than electricity, which of course is live current running through your lines.

Until you find a nice blue/dark blue cylinder looking thing, called a "capacitor", one that likes to retain much voltage/amps, and it unleashes hell on you should you accidentally bump it with your pinky finger while working on said electronic device. Your hair may stand on it's end. You may feel the buzzing all the way to your toes.

And yes, I went to school for it, know what it is full and well, doesn't mean my fat finger knew that damn thing was holding such a charge from a damn device unplugged for a day!!

Now you're cracking me up. Try that with a capacitor on a 120/208 fixture that requires 240 in the capacitor. Be the quickest trip down the ladder you ever took. Trust me. And my boss was laughing so hard he couldn't even come and see if I was hurt. That 15' drop wasn't free. :laugh:

jimnyc
08-15-2016, 03:04 PM
Now you're cracking me up. Try that with a capacitor on a 120/208 fixture that requires 240 in the capacitor. Be the quickest trip down the ladder you ever took. Trust me. And my boss was laughing so hard he couldn't even come and see if I was hurt. That 15' drop wasn't free. :laugh:

Luckily for me I have only had to work with smaller sized caps, but I know there are also some that will fry you just as quick! The worst bastards are inside TV sets. DO NOT think just because you unplugged it that you are good to go!!

And hell, I would gladly take the 15' fall if I didn't have to get slightly electrocuted. :)

Elessar
08-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Luckily for me I have only had to work with smaller sized caps, but I know there are also some that will fry you just as quick! The worst bastards are inside TV sets. DO NOT think just because you unplugged it that you are good to go!!

And hell, I would gladly take the 15' fall if I didn't have to get slightly electrocuted. :)

I had a room mate off the ship that was an ET (Electronics Technician). He would
close his bedroom door and blow up capacitors with a megger!:laugh:

jimnyc
08-15-2016, 03:15 PM
I had a room mate off the ship that was an ET (Electronics Technician). He would

While in tech school, here's what my teacher told us...

He said he used to gets his hands on these HUGE capacitors. He would wire them at the bottom of shopping carts somehow, and then try to gently cover them with a brown bag or similar. He said that they would empty their charge on the next unsuspecting person to touch the cart! I don't believe him though, as how do you get the capacitor on there to begin with? Would be some funny stuff though!

Gunny
08-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Okay that's sick. You know you have to learn to use a megger on your own? It's not even mentioned in the NEC. Hope he got some help. :laugh:

Elessar
08-15-2016, 03:24 PM
Okay that's sick. You know you have to learn to use a megger on your own? It's not even mentioned in the NEC. Hope he got some help. :laugh:

Well...we did have one ET who rigged a megger to a terminal snorer in the berthing area once!
Tim got lit up real fast!:laugh2:

Gunny
08-15-2016, 04:35 PM
Well...we did have one ET who rigged a megger to a terminal snorer in the berthing area once!

That is such a boot trick even in the electrical field. "Here, hold this" ....:laugh: When someone says "hold this" you KNOW it ain't going to end well. Dumbest other comment is "I need a volunteer.." And you can ALWAYS count on Pvt Schmuckatelli. "Sure Gunny". It's like, you deserve what you get for being the dumbest idiot in the company. :laugh2:

aboutime
08-16-2016, 08:50 PM

Elessar. That's funny. We had an ET who hated Country music in berthing, back in the 80's, and found out our resident REDNECK liked to listen to his tapes when he crawled into his rack. So the ET in question brought down a huge Magnet from the ET Shop, slid it past his mattress (where all the tapes USED TO NOT BE.....BLANK). He called the magnet a MAGNETRON...from Radar I think.

Needless to say. Good sleeping for awhile in berthing.:dance::laugh:

Gunny
08-17-2016, 05:32 AM
Elessar. That's funny. We had an ET who hated Country music in berthing, back in the 80's, and found out our resident REDNECK liked to listen to his tapes when he crawled into his rack. So the ET in question brought down a huge Magnet from the ET Shop, slid it past his mattress (where all the tapes USED TO NOT BE.....BLANK). He called the magnet a MAGNETRON...from Radar I think.

Needless to say. Good sleeping for awhile in berthing.:dance::laugh:

I hated berthing. With a passion. I'd sleep anywhere else I could find. It was jungle junk music. But whatever type of music, the whole damned ship doesn't want to hear your crap. I listen to country and old rock but if you got that crap turned up so loud you can't hear anyone talk, you're an inconsiderate idiot.

My Gunny was more direct. He took the boom box and threw it against the bulkhead. I just tried to not laugh. :laugh:

Perianne
09-06-2016, 09:55 PM
The way I understand electronics vs electrical is that both involve moving electrons around, but electrical typically involves heavier currents and higher voltages. But there is a big gray area between the two.