PDA

View Full Version : Louisiana gov: Trump helped 'shine a spotlight' on flood recovery

jimnyc
08-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Louisiana Gov. John Bel Edwards (D) said Sunday that Donald Trump has helped draw attention to recovery efforts after the recent devastating floods in his state.

In an interview on CNN's "State of the Union," the governor downplayed critical remarks he made before the Republican presidential nominee visited his state.

"I didn't dismiss his trip as a photo-op. Before he came down, I said we welcome him here, we want him to be helpful," Edwards said. "And we hope that it doesn't turn into a mere photo-op."

Edwards said Trump's visit to the state was positive for Louisiana.

"Because it helped to shine a spotlight on Louisiana and on the dire situation that we have here, that it was helpful," he said.

"I also appreciated the good phone call, the conversation that I had with Gov. [Mike] Pence [R-Ind.], who was sincere and genuine when he called, and we spoke for a long time on Friday morning about their desire to be helpful," he said about Trump's running mate.

Edwards had previously said the state welcomed the GOP nominee, as long as he didn't use the visit for his own political gain.

"We welcome him to Louisiana, but not for a photo-op. Instead we hope he’ll consider volunteering or making a sizable donation to the LA Flood Relief Fund to help the victims of the storm," the governor said ahead of Trump's visit.

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/292131-louisiana-gov-i-didnt-dismiss-trumps-visit-as-photo-opp

Kathianne
08-21-2016, 03:43 PM
I actually think that going to LA was the smartest thing he did all week, I was only surprised that he didn't do it sooner. Now Obama is going Tuesday, after saying he wouldn't go for a 'photo op' which he's done many, many times. Remember that is what made so many hate Christie, the hug with Obama.

He did a good job there too, listened and brought stuff. He should use that video and quotes from Hillary and Obama regarding Katrina and Bush-there's really good sound bites of both of them.

Kathianne
08-21-2016, 04:22 PM
Just saw this regarding Trump in Louisiana, seems Kirstie Allen and I think alike, at least on this. There's a nice segue to BLM and such, saw that on FB before leaving for work this morning:

http://hotair.com/archives/2016/08/21/obama-ignores-the-louisiana-flooding-do-we-care/

Obama ignores the Louisiana flooding. Do we care?

POSTED AT 12:31 PM ON AUGUST 21, 2016 BY JAZZ SHAW

While people were dying, losing their homes and swimming for their lives in Louisiana, it wasn’t lost on the media that the President of the United States was on vacation. In fact, as the days rolled by and the waters rolled on, not only did Barack Obama fail to show up in the affected areas, but there wasn’t even a statement of support on the White House web page. This has been placed in stark contrast with the rapid response from the West Wing when various pop stars and other entertainment figures have passed away.

One place I saw the unrest over this popping up this weekend was in my Twitter feed, whereactress Kirstie Alley went on a bit of a tweeting tirade (http://www.westernjournalism.com/actress-kirstie-alley-tweets-up-a-storm-in-attacking-obama-for-not-going-to-louisiana/) against Obama for his lack of engagement. (Western Journalism)

Actress Kirstie Alley ignited what she herself called a Twitter “firestorm” on Friday after she lashed out at President Barack Obama for idling the days away in Martha’s Vineyard while thousands of people were suffering in flood-ravaged Louisiana.
“On a golf course in Martha’s Vineyard instead of in Louisiana?” Alley tweeted, along with a video of Obama criticizing former President George W. Bush for Bush’s response to Hurricane Katrina.

Alley made it clear she was non-partisan in her condemnation of presidential inaction.
I thought Bush waited too long also! I was in Katrina on day 5 & I’m just a gorgeous actress :)THEY needed HELP! I didn’t need an invitation

<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="766743346526040064" style="padding: 0px; margin-top: 10px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 10px; font-size: 12.16px; line-height: 18.24px; position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 520px; min-width: 220px; margin-left: 40px !important;"><article class="MediaCard MediaCard--mediaForward cards-multimedia customisable-border" data-scribe="component:card" dir="ltr">

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thumb/766742920523161600/pu/img/te6cPIdzTKNUGV_d.jpg (https://twitter.com/kirstiealley/status/766743346526040064)

</article>

Follow (https://twitter.com/kirstiealley)
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/688133582695448577/aqnKj9p5_normal.pngKirstie Alley
✔@kirstiealley (https://twitter.com/kirstiealley)

Or on a golf course in Martha's Vineyard instead of in Louisiana?
2:07 PM - 19 Aug 2016 (https://twitter.com/kirstiealley/status/766743346526040064)

Obama wasn’t the only taking criticism for inaction from unexpected places. One black resident of Baton Rouge was demanding answers from the Black Lives Matter movement. Where are they while the world is washing away (http://www.westernjournalism.com/baton-rouge-native-devastated-lives-dont-matter-black-lives-matter-crowd/)?

<iframe width="520" height="293" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PYiTma4r34Q?feature=oembed" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="" style="padding: 0px; margin: 0px;"></iframe>

“Where are the Black Lives Matter and the Black Panthers?” Washington said. “Because I ain’t seen one Black Panther boat or one Black Lives Matter boat. All I see is our own people from our own city saving us.”

I get it. I understand the upset outbursts and the hurt feelings because we’ve become acclimated to politicians behaving certain ways in the modern era. And there was a time when my blood used to run a bit more on the hot side and I would have stamped my feet along with everyone else. But as the years have gone by, I find this question less and less interesting. What are we really accomplishing with presidential visits to natural disaster areas other than setting up politically oriented photo ops or chances for opponents to score a few cheap shots? I felt the same way when that photo of George W. Bush staring out the window of Air Force One at the devastation of Katrina was released. (Whoever set up that shot should have been fired.)

What is it we’re expecting of the President when he or she arrives on the scene? I suppose they could hand out a few bottles of Aquafina before they leave, but I don’t think Barack Obama would be particularly well suited to spending a few days filling up sand bags. Meanwhile, their security details and motorcade will be tying up traffic for relief vehicles and construction crews. And it’s not as if many of the locals are going to see him anyway. We wouldn’t expect people from the surrounding parishes to drop everything and hop in the few cars that weren’t washed away to attempt crossing even more flooded roadways to go see him. I suppose they could watch his appearance on television, but that’s only if you can find a working one in a place where there’s still power.

In the end, the state has the primary responsibility for disaster response. The Governor belongs on the scene and the President should just be making sure that emergency funds are promptly released and that if the state requests additional law enforcement or the Army Corps of Engineers that they show up promptly. Other than that, a simple televised statement would suffice. (And yes, the President should have done at least that much.)

Just remember to take your golf cap off and leave the clubs outside before the cameras go live.

http://media.hotair.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/ObamaGolfing.jpg

</twitterwidget>

Trigg
08-22-2016, 07:38 PM
http://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/2016/08/21/sotu-edwards-trump.cnn

sundaydriver
08-23-2016, 06:46 AM
The Governor did ask that Trump, Clinton, and especially the President wait to come view the damage & heartache in La. The POTUS makes an awful big footprint with logistics when they travel and I honestly believe that it's too big of a distraction in time of a disaster while happening.

One of GWB's biggest regrets was that picture of him looking out the window on AF-1 at Katrina damage while flying back to DC. GWB would have liked the plane to land and be there for them but knew they couldn't spare the resources from what they were doing to save & help people for a feel good moment with him and not be able to help anymore than he could do by phone and department heads. Film of Trump's visit I'm sure will be on a campaign ad, coming soon

Elessar
08-23-2016, 12:57 PM
The Governor did ask that Trump, Clinton, and especially the President wait to come view the damage & heartache in La. The POTUS makes an awful big footprint with logistics when they travel and I honestly believe that it's too big of a distraction in time of a disaster while happening.

One of GWB's biggest regrets was that picture of him looking out the window on AF-1 at Katrina damage while flying back to DC. GWB would have liked the plane to land and be there for them but knew they couldn't spare the resources from what they were doing to save & help people for a feel good moment with him and not be able to help anymore than he could do by phone and department heads. Film of Trump's visit I'm sure will be on a campaign ad, coming soon

One big problem with that was even the Governor, who was supposed to be in charge right from the start,
did not have any idea where a place the size of AF-1 could land that was close enough to be of any help
or significance.

She blew it completely beginning with NOAA's '72 Hours Out' warning. LA was not compliant at all with
the National Disaster Preparedness Plan. In the NDPP, all this of this kind of thing would be pre-arranged
and identified throughout the state.

Gunny
08-23-2016, 02:45 PM
One big problem with that was even the Governor, who was supposed to be in charge right from the start,
did not have any idea where a place the size of AF-1 could land that was close enough to be of any help
or significance.

She blew it completely beginning with NOAA's '72 Hours Out' warning. LA was not compliant at all with
the National Disaster Preparedness Plan. In the NDPP, all this of this kind of thing would be pre-arranged
and identified throughout the state.

If that ain't no sh*t. Talk about dereliction of duty. Her politics were more important than saving her people. Bush was begging her for the request on Saturday. Storm hit Monday. She put in the request late Sunday night.

Oh, and if you choose to live below sea level? Brilliant ain't the word I'd use to describe you.

Elessar
08-23-2016, 02:52 PM
"Our" favorite Sheriff Clarke blasts Obama over this event.
There is more in there, but his attack comes at the end.

From Fox News: http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/08/23/sheriff-clarke-black-lives-matter-activists-care-about-political-power-not-black-lives

Elessar
08-23-2016, 02:59 PM
If that ain't no sh*t. Talk about dereliction of duty. Her politics were more important than saving her people. Bush was begging her for the request on Saturday. Storm hit Monday. She put in the request late Sunday night.

Oh, and if you choose to live below sea level? Brilliant ain't the word I'd use to describe you.

The White House put out messages advising New Orleans to evacuate, both
24 and 12 hours prior to landfall. That is all the Feds can do. They would have
to declare Martial Law and forcibly make evacuations. Now would that not be a
grand political mess?

But the mayor got the hell out of town early, then turned around and blamed
Washington for doing nothing!

Gunny
08-23-2016, 03:01 PM
"Our" favorite Sheriff Clarke blasts Obama over this event.
There is more in there, but his attack comes at the end.

From Fox News: http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/08/23/sheriff-clarke-black-lives-matter-activists-care-about-political-power-not-black-lives

I'd work for him any damned day. This guy pulls no punches.

And call me dumb, but Baton Rouge? The MS is flooding?

Gunny
08-23-2016, 03:08 PM
The White House put out messages advising New Orleans to evacuate, both
24 and 12 hours prior to landfall. That is all the Feds can do. They would have
to declare Martial Law and forcibly make evacuations. Now would that not be a
grand political mess?

But the mayor got the hell out of town early, then turned around and blamed
Washington for doing nothing!

Nagin wouldn't call it because of tourism. Blanco wouldn't call it because she wouldn't ask Bush for help.

Who suffered? I lived in the first major city above the flood plain when Katrina hit. We had more refugees in SA than the Syrians are trying to smuggle in.

I'll tell you who suffered. Sean Penn.:laugh2: I'm going out into a tidal surge in a pleasurecraft and save something. Damned moron. The CG had to save his dumb ass.

Elessar
08-23-2016, 03:09 PM
I went through all of this kind of thing in ICS Training (Incident Command System) which comes
from the NDPP (National Disaster Preparedness Plan) which Bush pushed after 9/11.

I had ICS 100, 200, 300, 400, 700, and 800 as a job requirement.
The governor and mayor would have been required 500 and 600 as well.

Yet they blamed Bush! I'll admit Brown was weak with FEMA because he was an
administrator, not a leader. They is why he was sacked and a USCG Admiral,
Vice Admiral Thad Allen, was put in charge.

Elessar
08-23-2016, 03:12 PM
I'll tell you who suffered. Sean Penn.:laugh2: I'm going out into a tidal surge in a pleasurecraft and save something. Damned moron. The CG had to save his dumb ass.

You know the old saying: "Ignorance is Bliss"! He must have been one happy MF'r that day!:laugh2:

Gunny
08-23-2016, 11:46 PM
You know the old saying: "Ignorance is Bliss"! He must have been one happy MF'r that day!:laugh2:

That ain't ignorance, bubba. That's called red brick dumber'n sh*t. Camille was the 1st hurricane I went through and we lived in Key West. People don't get the tidal surge is what kills you. You ain't tooling around in a 30 footer and saving sh*t.

Then there's cost. How much resources did it take to save his ass? What's he going to save on a 30 footer anyway? Six people? When your intent is honorable, cool. Know what you're doing with your honorable intent.

I got money says he'd have overloaded that boat and floundered. Hell, he floundered without any extra weight.

Elessar
08-24-2016, 12:23 AM
That ain't ignorance, bubba. That's called red brick dumber'n sh*t. Camille was the 1st hurricane I went through and we lived in Key West. People don't get the tidal surge is what kills you. You ain't tooling around in a 30 footer and saving sh*t.

Then there's cost. How much resources did it take to save his ass? What's he going to save on a 30 footer anyway? Six people? When your intent is honorable, cool. Know what you're doing with your honorable intent.

I got money says he'd have overloaded that boat and floundered. Hell, he floundered without any extra weight.

Wrong boat type likely and an idiot at the helm. Leave THAT kind of SAR to the pro's or commercial fishermen
who are used to those kinds of seas. IF the fishermen would even try to leave port, that is.