PDA

View Full Version : Fall Is Coming

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 06:56 PM
Even to AZ. This morning I went out for breakfast around 8:30, it was 65 degrees! That's cool for that time here. Right now it's 4:53 and only 86, which is way down from even last week. We still have 100+ degree days in the forecast, but it's getting cooler.

I went to the dollar store and picked up some fall decorations for my little space. Got some 'spooky' ice cube trays and a "Welcome Fall" hanger for my door. I love fall and Halloween! At the grocery, picked up a few cans of pumpkin for baking. It's just that time of year!

Gunny
08-23-2016, 07:10 PM
Even to AZ. This morning I went out for breakfast around 8:30, it was 65 degrees! That's cool for that time here. Right now it's 4:53 and only 86, which is way down from even last week. We still have 100+ degree days in the forecast, but it's getting cooler.

I went to the dollar store and picked up some fall decorations for my little space. Got some 'spooky' ice cube trays and a "Welcome Fall" hanger for my door. I love fall and Halloween! At the grocery, picked up a few cans of pumpkin for baking. It's just that time of year!

That's not Fall Kath. It's called desert. The sand does not hold heat. That's the reason it is cool at night. Dirt will absorb the heat and humidity and hold it.

For me, I can't take the lack of humidity anymore. It's killing my sinuses. Good luck with your punkins though. :)

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 07:12 PM
That's not Fall Kath. It's called desert. The sand does not hold heat. That's the reason it is cool at night. Dirt will absorb the heat and humidity and hold it.

For me, I can't take the lack of humidity anymore. It's killing my sinuses. Good luck with your punkins though. :)

No, it really gets cooler, this is my 3rd 'fall' here. Not the colors we get back in the Midwest, but with the monsoons it's been hot and humid here. Now it's starting to cool. Sweatshirts are appearing in the stores and sweater sets too! LOL! People actually were wearing pants and closed toed shoes today. ;)

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 07:50 PM

I know what you mean about 'desert' like LA. Felt the difference between July days and nights. Thing is here, not much sand. Mostly rock, but where I am also lots of green. There's bushes, wild grasses, lots of flowers, few cacti. It's more mountain, than desert, though not in Phoenix. ;)

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 07:56 PM
Hey Abbey, you'll love this! My daughter posted on FB of winning some 'trophy' on her fitbit. Her brothers were giving her a hard time and I was like, "I really want a fitbit!" My niece saw and is mailing her's to me. She went with something more 'high tech.' So that is one pleasure I got and saved over $100! Color me happy!

aboutime
08-23-2016, 08:47 PM
The astronomical fall (Northern Hemisphere) 2016 begins on
Thursday, September 22
and ends on
Tuesday, December 20

The North American Continent is in the Northern Hemisphere.

FALL will come this year, at approximately the same time it does...EVERY YEAR.

JUST THE FACTS!!!

Gunny
08-23-2016, 11:20 PM
No, it really gets cooler, this is my 3rd 'fall' here. Not the colors we get back in the Midwest, but with the monsoons it's been hot and humid here. Now it's starting to cool. Sweatshirts are appearing in the stores and sweater sets too! LOL! People actually were wearing pants and closed toed shoes today. ;)

SO this is actually all about you shopping for sweaters? I should have known. Women. :bang3:

sundaydriver
08-25-2016, 06:29 AM
The last three nights here have been fall like. Mon & Tues temps in the mid 40's & 53 when I awoke this morning. Felt good to sleep without air conditioning for a change but alas that ends tonight. Fall starts a week from tomorrow when I will be sitting under the lights watching High school football. :laugh:

Gunny
08-25-2016, 12:45 PM
The last three nights here have been fall like. Mon & Tues temps in the mid 40's & 53 when I awoke this morning. Felt good to sleep without air conditioning for a change but alas that ends tonight. Fall starts a week from tomorrow when I will be sitting under the lights watching High school football. :laugh:

As previously stated. the desert is weird. I don't complain too much except for have to have 2 sets of clothes per day. The temperature will fluctuate from 90+ during the day down to the 50s-60s at night.

In San Antonio the heat is almost unbearable and it does not cool down at night. You get maybe down into the 80s about 3AM. Got a 2 or 3 hour window and it's back to a hundred.

One thing I've learned over the years moving around, it just depends on where you live. It won't start cooling down in SA until October.

Abbey Marie
08-25-2016, 01:09 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9289&stc=1

Kathianne
08-25-2016, 02:09 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9289&stc=1

:clap: I love it!

aboutime
08-25-2016, 07:25 PM

sundaydriver. Actually. FALL 2016 begins on the 22nd of September. A beautiful time of year, every year.

http://www.almanac.com/content/first-day-seasons-2016

Gunny
08-26-2016, 12:49 AM
sundaydriver. Actually. FALL 2016 begins on the 22nd of September. A beautiful time of year, every year.

Depends on where you live AT. I realize there are dates. Whoever came up with them did not live in the South/SW. I did like Fall in upper Midwest, but we have nothing like that down here.

sundaydriver
08-26-2016, 06:10 AM

That's just a date. The 1st hotdog at the 1st football game is close enough for me.

Gunny
08-26-2016, 03:21 PM
That's just a date. The 1st hotdog at the 1st football game is close enough for me.

The dates are actually based on Pagan planting and harvesting and something to do with the moon. They're from.

In an applicable form, they apply to the further north you get. Closer to the Equator you get, bets are off. Winter in Miami means 70 degrees and maybe some rain. Same in S TX.

It's weird here in ABQ. This is the highest above sea level I've ever lived. That changes things.

Kathianne
08-26-2016, 04:25 PM
The dates are actually based on Pagan planting and harvesting and something to do with the moon. They're from.

In an applicable form, they apply to the further north you get. Closer to the Equator you get, bets are off. Winter in Miami means 70 degrees and maybe some rain. Same in S TX.

It's weird here in ABQ. This is the highest above sea level I've ever lived. That changes things.

Coming home today at 1:15, it was all of 75 here. It'll warm up a bit, but then cools off. Like I said, that's different than even a week ago. It's been raining nearly every day the past 10 days, several heavy enough to knock out cable for a bit. Once knocked out the power. Sedona is at about 4400 feet, Cottonwood around 3700.

Abbey Marie
08-26-2016, 04:50 PM
Coming home today at 1:15, it was all of 75 here. It'll warm up a bit, but then cools off. Like I said, that's different than even a week ago. It's been raining nearly every day the past 10 days, several heavy enough to knock out cable for a bit. Once knocked out the power. Sedona is at about 4400 feet, Cottonwood around 3700.

While here in Delaware, we had a "feels like" temp of 95. :p

Kathianne
08-26-2016, 05:11 PM
While here in Delaware, we had a "feels like" temp of 95. :p Go figure. I think Phoenix is still in the 100's and I'm sure we'll return to that sooner than later. It's just been a nice break, which does seem 'fall like.'

Abbey Marie
08-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Go figure. I think Phoenix is still in the 100's and I'm sure we'll return to that sooner than later. It's just been a nice break, which does seem 'fall like.'

I'm happy for you! You don't need to be sweating while recovering.

Kathianne
08-26-2016, 07:35 PM
I'm happy for you! You don't need to be sweating while recovering.

Thanks! I am recovering pretty nicely. While sore after PT yesterday, I did walk about 2 miles earlier today. Felt good. No, I didn't walk on my hands. I'm guessing my days for tennis, volleyball, and golf are behind me. Maybe soccer? LOL! Seriously going to join the gym soon, well as soon as they say I can use my arm for weight bearing.

It is amazing how fast the muscles just go weak. Right now my left arm is stronger than my right!

aboutime
08-26-2016, 07:55 PM
My apologies to all who felt insulted, offended, or angry for my offering of the 1ST day of FALL.

This shows me. No matter how sincere, or well-intended what I was trying to say, became a quasi-ridiculed post for someone to stamp their feet, and straighten me out because I said something they didn't like, or want to hear.

And we wonder why there are so many problems in this nation?

The first amendment has almost become a tool of destruction for anyone who dares...use it.

Gunny
08-26-2016, 08:38 PM
My apologies to all who felt insulted, offended, or angry for my offering of the 1ST day of FALL.

This shows me. No matter how sincere, or well-intended what I was trying to say, became a quasi-ridiculed post for someone to stamp their feet, and straighten me out because I said something they didn't like, or want to hear.

And we wonder why there are so many problems in this nation?

The first amendment has almost become a tool of destruction for anyone who dares...use it.

No ridicule intended. We don't even have trees like that down here, and ours are pretty much grey year-round. The cedar turns reds around Oct and my allergies go through the roof. It was meant as informative.

My b-day is Dec 21st. I know when winter begins. My single point is we don't have fall down here. Not in the traditional sense. That's not a knock on you. I actually liked it in IL and always wished I could go to New England during fall.

Kathianne
08-27-2016, 06:44 AM
Quite a sound and light show going on outside for the past 45 minutes and continuing. Yep, under a flash flood watch. When thunder wakes me up, it's LOUD! I don't usually even hear it when outside, without hearing aids.

It's 57 outside now, that's cold for these here parts, even in October, never mind August.

I'm thinking of making stew or split pea soup. Hmmmm

Kathianne
08-27-2016, 06:56 AM
Things seems to lightening up outside, cable just came back on, though still hearing a bit of thunder and lightening still is flashing every few seconds. Hard to tell, it's still dark out.

I'm thinking of running to the store, they open at 5, but not sure I want to get drenched or that the ravines won't be flooded. Probably smarter to wait for daylight.

Gunny
08-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Quite a sound and light show going on outside for the past 45 minutes and continuing. Yep, under a flash flood watch. When thunder wakes me up, it's LOUD! I don't usually even hear it when outside, without hearing aids.

It's 57 outside now, that's cold for these here parts, even in October, never mind August.

I'm thinking of making stew or split pea soup. Hmmmm

Yeah. It's just arriving. But I live in NM. I can blame aliens. :laugh2: