PDA

View Full Version : Italy 6.2 Earthquake

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 09:53 PM
Some European reports have it at 6.4:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-italy-quake-idUSKCN10Z04H

WORLD NEWS (http://www.reuters.com/news/archive/worldNews)|Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:38pm EDTMagnitude 6.2 quake hits central Italy: USGS

<span class="articleLocatio</span>n" style="transform: translate3d(0px, 0px, 0px);">A strong 6.2 magnitude quake struck central Italy early on Wednesday near the town of Norcia, the U.S. Geological Survey said.
</span>
Strong tremors woke residents in the capital Rome, some 170 km (105 miles) from the epicentre of the quake, which occurred at 3.36 a.m. (0136 GMT).

The spokesman for the Italian fire department, Luca Cari, said they had received reports of buildings being damaged, but had no further details.

The USGS initially reported the magnitude of the quake at 6.4, saying it was very shallow, only 6.2 miles (10 km) deep.

"It was the worst (quake) of my life" said Matteo Berlenga after leaving his house near Gubbio in the central Italian region of Umbria when the earthquake struck.

Prime Minister Matteo Renzi's spokesman said on Twitter that the government was in touch with the country's civil protection agency.

(Writing by Crispian Balmer; Editing by Nick Macfie)

<article itemprop="articleBody" data-insert-mobile-adslot="" style="box-sizing: border-box;">

</article>

Elessar
08-23-2016, 10:00 PM
A series of them there, preshock and aftershock given the time line I imagine by the graphic:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/map/#%7B%22autoUpdate%22%3A%5B%22autoUpdate%22%5D%2C%2 2basemap%22%3A%22grayscale%22%2C%22feed%22%3A%221d ay_m25%22%2C%22listFormat%22%3A%22default%22%2C%22 mapposition%22%3A%5B%5B39.036252959636606%2C8.4594 72656249998%5D%2C%5B45.13555516012536%2C22.5219726 5625%5D%5D%2C%22overlays%22%3A%5B%22plates%22%5D%2 C%22restrictListToMap%22%3A%5B%22restrictListToMap %22%5D%2C%22search%22%3Anull%2C%22sort%22%3A%22new est%22%2C%22timezone%22%3A%22utc%22%2C%22viewModes %22%3A%5B%22list%22%2C%22map%22%5D%2C%22event%22%3 Anull%7D

NightTrain
08-23-2016, 10:28 PM
A 6-pointer isn't a big deal.

I guess it'd probably make me nervous if I were in a 100-year or older house, though.

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 10:34 PM

I guess it'd probably make me nervous if I were in a 100-year or older house, though.

Indeed, which many in Europe certainly are. Ask Darin! LOL!

Kathianne
08-23-2016, 10:40 PM
Indeed, which many in Europe certainly are. Ask Darin! LOL!

It's something hard for me to get my head around, even being somewhat history obsessed. Everyday being surrounded by houses/buildings/streets that are hundreds of years old. Streets in some areas from the Roman Empire.

I was in awe being in MA and seeing buildings that were over 300 years old! LOL!

Abbey Marie
08-23-2016, 10:58 PM
Yes, Ancient Rome is so visible yet today. Italy is amazing. Hope there aren't any deaths.

revelarts
08-23-2016, 11:00 PM
i hope the the folks can make it through it well.

But i'm sure the Clinton Foundation could help handle any Relief Funds, and restorations, since they have great experience with that in Haiti.

Elessar
08-24-2016, 12:11 AM

It all depends on how close you are to the epicenter, duration, and the depth of it. Been through
many in CA that were 'only' 6.0 which cracked or shook pretty good.

Sand Point in Alaska is a very active fault zone.

NightTrain
08-24-2016, 12:38 AM
It all depends on how close you are to the epicenter, duration, and the depth of it. Been through
many in CA that were 'only' 6.0 which cracked or shook pretty good.

Sand Point in Alaska is a very active fault zone.

Yep, we get shakers pretty often around here. No biggie.

The kids think it's fun... kind of an amusement ride right there in the living room.

Kathianne
08-24-2016, 05:35 AM
Not so good, seems there's at least 37 dead and more buried under rubble.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/europe/italy-earthquake/

Italy earthquake leaves 37 dead, towns in ruins

By Madison Park (http://www.cnn.com/profiles/madison-park), Faith Karimi (http://www.cnn.com/profiles/faith-karimi) and Tim Hume (http://www.cnn.com/profiles/tim-hume), CNN

Updated 6:12 AM ET, Wed August 24, 2016

<cite class="el-editorial-source" style="box-sizing: border-box; font-family: CNN, &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif; font-style: normal; font-weight: 700;">(CNN)</cite>A strong, shallow earthquake hit central Italy (http://www.cnn.com/2016/08/23/europe/italy-earthquake-live-blog/index.html) early Wednesday, killing at least 37 people and leaving rescuers desperately digging through the rubble to free survivors.

Many of the dead from the 6.2-magnitude earthquake were from three badly-affected villages in a mountainous area, according to CNN affiliate Rai.
The rural area is a popular vacation spot, and is especially bustling with people during the summer break.

The deaths included 10 people in the village of Pescara del Tronto, six in Accumoli and five in Amatrice, Rai reported, adding that children were among the victims.

The earthquake hit 10 kilometers (6.2 miles) southeast of Norcia at 3:36 a.m., and was about 10 kilometers deep, the United States Geological Survey said. Its tremors rattled Rome -- about 100 miles away.

Authorities say they cannot put a figure on the number trapped under the rubble, but the death toll is expected to rise.

NightTrain
08-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Wow, death count is 73 and climbing. I really didn't think a medium sized quake like this would do so much damage.

There's a lot to be said for modern building materials and construction methods.

Gunny
08-24-2016, 12:58 PM
It's something hard for me to get my head around, even being somewhat history obsessed. Everyday being surrounded by houses/buildings/streets that are hundreds of years old. Streets in some areas from the Roman Empire.

I was in awe being in MA and seeing buildings that were over 300 years old! LOL!

It's not that bad. The streets are too small. They were built for horses and/or carriages. The weird crap is what's underground been built on top of. Italy's one place I haven't been. You just get used to it.

It's weird the way people some stuff. A lot is predicated on the natural resources. This place, ABQ, is weird as hell to me. Cinder block fences? Always been wood and/or chain link in my world.

I hate earthquakes though. I'd rather go through a hurricane. You lose your inner ear during a quake. I hate that crap. It's one of the BIG reasons I hate deploying on ships. You have zero control.

At least in a hurricane you just get wet.

Elessar
08-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Wow, death count is 73 and climbing. I really didn't think a medium sized quake like this would do so much damage.

There's a lot to be said for modern building materials and construction methods.

Lord help them if it had been stronger!

In CA, not quite sure of OR, newer construction is required to be seismic
design to minimize damage and human danger. All bridges have to be
seismically retrofitted as well.

Gunny
08-24-2016, 01:29 PM
Lord help them if it had been stronger!

In CA, not quite sure of OR, newer construction is required to be seismic
design to minimize damage and human danger. All bridges have to be
seismically retrofitted as well.

What I noticed all that ancient crap stands while the new stuff crumbles to the ground. That has ALWAYS intrigued me.

Kathianne
08-24-2016, 04:13 PM

When I saw it was over 6, was afraid of the age of the buildings. That the epicenter was in the middle of the boot didn't bode well in my mind, the ground is hard-rocky.

IL, more so surrounding states, especially TN, KY, MO are on the New Madrid fault and the buildings are not built for earthquakes. Problem is if that fault goes, it's going to be a problem for the same reasons I figured might be true in Italy. Not so much the 'old' building, but the rigid ground and rigid construction of the homes for winter-brick is big. There isn't the 'give' of frequent plate movements one finds along the Pacific.

Gunny
08-24-2016, 04:17 PM
When I saw it was over 6, was afraid of the age of the buildings. That the epicenter was in the middle of the boot didn't bode well in my mind, the ground is hard-rocky.

IL, more so surrounding states, especially TN, KY, MO are on the New Madrid fault and the buildings are not built for earthquakes. Problem is if that fault goes, it's going to be a problem for the same reasons I figured might be true in Italy. Not so much the 'old' building, but the rigid ground and rigid construction of the homes for winter-brick is big. There isn't the 'give' of frequent plate movements one finds along the Pacific.

What they said on the news (grain of salt) is that Italy actually is along a fault line equivalent to San Andreas. I remember we had earthquakes in Turkey.

sundaydriver
08-25-2016, 06:46 AM
What a shame. Over 300 for an expected death toll. People are already screaming about buildings being retrofitted for such an event , but some of those buildings have been standing since the 13th & 14 century. They apparently were built to withstand a lot and already had for centuries.

Elessar
08-25-2016, 09:07 AM

Here is a fact sheet on the New Madrid Fault Line. It produced one of
the strongest known earthquakes in North America. Interesting stuff:
http://www.new-madrid.mo.us/index.aspx?nid=132

Kathianne
08-25-2016, 09:50 AM
Here is a fact sheet on the New Madrid Fault Line. It produced one of
the strongest known earthquakes in North America. Interesting stuff:
http://www.new-madrid.mo.us/index.aspx?nid=132

I know, it's why I mentioned it. There isn't the movement seen along the Pacific plates, more 'fixed' thus the movement tends to be very catastrophic.

Elessar
08-25-2016, 10:09 AM
I know, it's why I mentioned it. There isn't the movement seen along the Pacific plates, more 'fixed' thus the movement tends to be very catastrophic.

Subduction fault I imagine. We have that out here with the Cascadia Fault which runs from Cape Mendocino
up to British Columbia. It is estimated that the rupture of that one in 1711 (I think that was the year without looking it up)
was as great as a 9.0. We have to worry about tsunamis here!