PDA

View Full Version : Changing Viewpoints

Perianne
08-24-2016, 05:11 PM
A little over a year ago, we hired a newly-graduated nurse. As always with new hires, I inquired about her political interests. She informed me she votes consistently Democratic. I let it drop, since there is no point in discussing politics with a Democrat.

A couple of weeks ago she told me she had turned conservative and would not vote Democratic this election. I asked her why the change? She said she is upset with the amount of taxes she has to pay now that she has become an RN.

Before, she was receiving Medicaid and welfare to support herself and her two boys. Now SHE is on the paying end instead of being on the receiving end...and that changes everything.

Gunny
08-24-2016, 05:26 PM
A little over a year ago, we hired a newly-graduated nurse. As always with new hires, I inquired about her political interests. She informed me she votes consistently Democratic. I let it drop, since there is no point in discussing politics with a Democrat.

A couple of weeks ago she told me she had turned conservative and would not vote Democratic this election. I asked her why the change? She said she is upset with the amount of taxes she has to pay now that she has become an RN.

Before, she was receiving Medicaid and welfare to support herself and her two boys. Now SHE is on the paying end instead of being on the receiving end...and that changes everything.

She hasn't changed her viewpoint, IMO. It's all about her. She was willing to take all those taxpayer dollars living on handouts, but now that the worm has turned, she doesn't want to give back.

Elessar
08-24-2016, 06:53 PM
She hasn't changed her viewpoint, IMO. It's all about her. She was willing to take all those taxpayer dollars living on handouts, but now that the worm has turned, she doesn't want to give back.

I disagree.

All about her is no different than anyone else. We are all selfish in one manner or
the next. We can be selfish about our little ones and family and do the best we can
to raise and help them.

Perhaps it is reality and maturing that made the change. You have to take into
account the person and not the ideology. Perhaps a secure condition changed the
need to require assistance from the tax dollar.

I would trust the OP's observation and evaluation over a web-site opinion. How do
you know this RN was not struggling to finish school and raise 2 young-uns at the same
time? Where is the Dad? Gone?

I'd give it a break unless you are the one facing this person.

I have a very good friend who has gone through hell in a similar situation,
yet with different conditions.

Drummond
08-24-2016, 07:33 PM

Great post.

WELCOME BACK, Peri !!

NightTrain
08-24-2016, 09:19 PM

Nothing like some real-world experience to knock a little wisdom into a person.

Gunny
08-24-2016, 11:13 PM
I disagree.

All about her is no different than anyone else. We are all selfish in one manner or
the next. We can be selfish about our little ones and family and do the best we can
to raise and help them.

I would trust the OP's observation and evaluation over a web-site opinion. How do
you know this RN was not struggling to finish school and raise 2 young-uns at the same

I don't begrudge help to those that need it. When it's your turn to help those in need because your position changes, then you do your part.

And I got a first-hand-up close view view of a mom trying to raise 2 boys. I also got a first hand POV of being a single parent myself where I didn't have 2 red pennies to rub together. I understand the situation.

When it's time to give back to the society that helped you, you ante up. I don't like the way our money is spent and I don't like being sucked dry. But fix the problem, not the symptom. Everyone talks about vetting these Arabs ... how about we vett the do-nothings in our social system and weed out the ones don't really need it?

But changing political parties just because you moved up the ladder? Nah. The Republicans are as guilty for our taxes as the Dems are. They just waste them on different stuff.

Noir
08-25-2016, 04:14 AM
Give her a pat on the back for forgetting were she came from and how she got were she is today.

would she of been able to survive without the help she had? Why is she so reluctant to pay for the help now that she no longer needs it?
I say weak sauce.

darin
08-25-2016, 05:58 AM
Give her a pat on the back for forgetting were she came from and how she got were she is today.

would she of been able to survive without the help she had? Why is she so reluctant to pay for the help now that she no longer needs it?
I say weak sauce.

(sigh) You're beyond clueless. it's like you live in a bizzaro world full of awful.

sundaydriver
08-25-2016, 06:53 AM
Everyone's view points will shift with time & experiences. Nothing to see here folks, move along now! :laugh:

Noir
08-25-2016, 07:13 AM
(sigh) You're beyond clueless. it's like you live in a bizzaro world full of awful.

Saying 'people don't deserve the help that I got becuase now I have to pay for it' isn't awful?

darin
08-25-2016, 07:33 AM
Saying 'people don't deserve the help that I got becuase now I have to pay for it' isn't awful?

here's where you are blind. the only "help" she had was because of herself. The 'help' you think is 'help' is really only a way to moral decay and laziness. Now she gets it - saving people from failure makes them weak. Only when folks hit rock-bottom can they - but not always - save themselves.

Noir
08-25-2016, 07:52 AM
here's where you are blind. the only "help" she had was because of herself. The 'help' you think is 'help' is really only a way to moral decay and laziness. Now she gets it - saving people from failure makes them weak. Only when folks hit rock-bottom can they - but not always - save themselves.

It's a shame to person isn't a user here to put their own position forward, but the welfare help they got was not her helping herself, and without it - it would be interesting to see what position they think they would be in now.

Elessar
08-25-2016, 09:23 AM
It's a shame to person isn't a user here to put their own position forward, but the welfare help they got was not her helping herself, and without it - it would be interesting to see what position they think they would be in now.

That made no sense at all.

Noir
08-25-2016, 09:34 AM
That made no sense at all.

I don't get what you're not following.
- When this woman was poor she had help from welfare.
- Now she is not poor, she does not want to pay the tax that others paid that enabled her to get welfare in the first place.

fj1200
08-25-2016, 10:39 AM

Greed is not a conservative ideology so she hasn't changed. If anything she is the poster child for those who need help and can rise up out of their particular circumstances. If she had said that welfare didn't help her because x, y, and z and she thinks the system needs reforming then that indicate a change in her opinion on welfare.

I disagree.

to raise and help them.

Based on what is presented Gunny is correct, she hasn't changed. Having a job alone shouldn't change on opinion on welfare. She could as easily hate old people now because FICA is taking a chunk of her taxes too.