PDA

View Full Version : School district bans rap music

jimnyc
08-27-2016, 05:32 AM
I personally don't think the initial decision was based on any type of racism, that's ridiculous. Rap music seems to have cursing in the lyrics in every other sentence, at least the majority of it. And when not cursing, every other sentence is degrading towards women. There is plenty of good rap music out there that doesn't have cursing or degrading lyrics as well, but I would guess they are taking the safe route. But I don't think they looked at things and made a blanket decision that was based off of race,

-----

Portland Public Schools 'rap music' ban sparks allegations of racism

Portland Public Schools officials are rethinking a district ban on rap music on buses after allegations of racism.

The district had banished hip-hop from its buses, deeming the genre "inappropriate."

Teri Brady, senior director of transportation at Portland Public Schools, sent a directive to bus drivers in March forbidding "religious, rap music, or talk show programs." The memo included a list of acceptable stations, broken down into three genres: pop, country and jazz.

Parent Colleen Ryan-Onken obtained a copy and it circulated in August among outraged parents, prompting the district to walk back the directive in statements released Wednesday.

Ryan-Onken, who is white, said the memo "kind of fell into my lap." And when she read it, she was livid.

"We regret the way this was communicated. Our intent is to limit student exposure to religious teachings, profanity and violent lyrics," said Portland Public Schools spokeswoman Courtney Westling. "The transportation department will be revising its guidance to bus drivers shortly to be more inclusive of different genres of music."

http://www.oregonlive.com/education/index.ssf/2016/08/portland_public_schools_rap_mu.html

revelarts
08-27-2016, 08:07 AM
They should ban ALL music then. if they specifically banned religious music too then they don't want any "controversial" messages. It's not just about "cussing" and"degrading to women" lyrics. there's religious music of ALL musical styles including rap/hiphop, pop, country and rock.
But there's plenty of low life messages in country and "pop" songs too. And In plenty of lyrical jazz as well. (rock, metal and emo are not that popular i guess since they went unnamed)
they should just put classical music on all the buses and be done with it. or ear buds only.
if they feel they have be that draconian.

jimnyc
08-27-2016, 08:38 AM
They should ban ALL music then. if they specifically banned religious music too then they don't want any "controversial" messages. It's not just about "cussing" and"degrading to women" lyrics. there's religious music of ALL musical styles including rap/hiphop, pop, country and rock.
But there's plenty of low life messages in country and "pop" songs too. And In plenty of lyrical jazz as well. (rock, metal and emo are not that popular i guess since they went unnamed)
they should just put classical music on all the buses and be done with it. or ear buds only.

They couldn't touch any religious music and we know why, due to "separation" and the inevitable complaints from atheists from day one. And I agree, even if we never heard of rap music, just knowing whatever music it was "the music with no name", if it has religion in it, you know they will ban it. ANY music with even the remotest message of religion, or using the word "God", would undoubtedly lead to complaints and courts probably.

As for other music, everyday music as you pointed out, like pop/top40, 'ol fashioned rock and roll and blues - yups, all may have some sort of cussing in them.

I would guess the reasoning would be every other song in rap having the degrading or cursing, where it's not as much in the others. But looking at it from that angle, I agree with you, even if it's less, they should just be fair and ban all, even if it's just for the perception alone.

I really don't think the reasoning was racial at all, and it's likely as I said then/now, but I can in fact see where others can make a valid argument.

Shouldn't a "good" radio station simply not allow the cursing songs anyway? The stations I listened to growing up never had them. Still now, I listen to Q104.3 here in NY and you won't find the R rated songs on there. So the answer, IMO, should be none at all, or just choose a station that doesn't allow for the R rated stuff and that also plays a huge variety. Or make the little bastards walk to school as most of us had to!! :)

revelarts
08-27-2016, 09:08 AM
They couldn't touch any religious music and we know why, due to "separation" and the inevitable complaints from atheists from day one. And I agree, even if we never heard of rap music, just knowing whatever music it was "the music with no name", if it has religion in it, you know they will ban it. ANY music with even the remotest message of religion, or using the word "God", would undoubtedly lead to complaints and courts probably.

As for other music, everyday music as you pointed out, like pop/top40, 'ol fashioned rock and roll and blues - yups, all may have some sort of cussing in them.

I would guess the reasoning would be every other song in rap having the degrading or cursing, where it's not as much in the others. But looking at it from that angle, I agree with you, even if it's less, they should just be fair and ban all, even if it's just for the perception alone.

I really don't think the reasoning was racial at all, and it's likely as I said then/now, but I can in fact see where others can make a valid argument.

Shouldn't a "good" radio station simply not allow the cursing songs anyway? The stations I listened to growing up never had them. Still now, I listen to Q104.3 here in NY and you won't find the R rated songs on there. So the answer, IMO, should be none at all, or just choose a station that doesn't allow for the R rated stuff and that also plays a huge variety. Or make the little bastards walk to school as most of us had to!! :)

If they wanted to just ban "cussing" etc then they can't single out ONE musical genre.
they'd have to ban specific songs of all genres if they were going to be fair. saying "just lil bit is Ok" isn't going to fly. who draws that line?

Being Fair ain't easy. But if your going to BAN stuff you MUST be. If not you open yourself to whatever charges might be assumed based on what group are being treated unfairly.
Sure we can all ASSUME it's not racist but we can't know either way. All we KNOW is that ONE genre of music is being banned and others are not.
and that's not fair. I don't like most Rap Music for the reasons you mention but still it's an easy call to see it's not fair. And that it's not far fetched to assume that race might be a factor also.

so yeah ban it all,
or list specfic songs --try to enforce that one.---

But religious music played by students IS NOT a "separation of church and state" issue. That's been well established in court over and over again.
the atheist can complain all they want they've LOST that battle. Students can pray, say, listen to and read as much religious material as they want ON school property. It's ILLEGAL to BAN religion from students personal activity Jim..
So they maybe getting a religious discrimination law suit on those grounds as well.
this school board needs to get their stuff together.

SaveSave

hjmick
08-27-2016, 09:15 AM
Now, if we could just get it banned on a federal level... That shit sucks.

jimnyc
08-27-2016, 09:17 AM
If they wanted to just ban cussing etc then they can't single out ONE musical genre.
they'd have to ban specific songs of all genres if they were going to be fair.

Being Fair ain't easy. But if your going to BAN stuff you MUST be. If not you open yourself to whatever charges might be assumed based on what group are being treated unfairly.
Sure we can all ASSUME it's not racist but we can't know either way. All we KNOW is that ONE genre of music is being banned and others are not.
and that's NOT fair. I don't like most Rap Music for the reasons you mention but still it's an easy call to see it's NOT fair. and that it's not FAR fetched to assume that race might be a factor also.

so yeah ban it all,
or list specfic songs --try to enforce that one.---

But religious music played by students IS NOT a "separation of church and state" issue. That's been well established in court over and over again.
the atheist can complain all they want they've LOST that battle. Students can pray, say, listen to and read as much religious material as they want ON school property. It's ILLEGAL to BAN religion from students personal activity Jim..
So they maybe getting a religious discrimination law suit on those grounds as well.
this school board needs to get their stuff together.

SaveSave

Personal activity, yes, I agree. But playing the music for everyone, and some will have to listen, and not want to... We KNOW there will be objections, even if we disagree. Can you imagine if some poor kid were to accidentally be forced to listen to a religious song! LOL

I disagree with banning it all. Music is GREAT for the kids, and they should figure out a way to implement it without any "harm". There should be tons of stations everywhere around the nation that don't allow the cursing, and offer a variety. For example, I have the Q104.3 I mentioned, 95.5 WPLJ and also Z100. These are 3 very popular stations here in the NYC area. A large variety of music, no cursing and no religion. Also no crazy death metal, so those folks may complain!! :laugh:

revelarts
08-27-2016, 09:21 AM
Personal activity, yes, I agree. But playing the music for everyone, and some will have to listen, and not want to... We KNOW there will be objections, even if we disagree. Can you imagine if some poor kid were to accidentally be forced to listen to a religious song! LOL

I disagree with banning it all. Music is GREAT for the kids, and they should figure out a way to implement it without any "harm". There should be tons of stations everywhere around the nation that don't allow the cursing, and offer a variety. For example, I have the Q104.3 I mentioned, 95.5 WPLJ and also Z100. These are 3 very popular stations here in the NYC area. A large variety of music, no cursing and no religion. Also no crazy death metal, so those folks may complain!! :laugh:

there are radio safe versions of most ..if not all...rap.
So again there's no way to be fair.
Unless they ban specific songs or all of them or only play classical.

SaveSave

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2016, 09:27 AM

^^^^^ UTTER ROT!!!
WITH THAT FALSE COMPARISON YOU FAVOR ALLOWING IN CURSING, DEGRADATION OF WOMEN , ADMIRATION OF STEALING ETC..--BECAUSE YOU THINK ITS UNFAIR OR IS RACISM.

WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL CURSING GOT OUR ASS SPANKED IF CONTINUED IT WOULD GET YOU EXPELLED.
NOW YOU AN OTHERS DEMAND ITS ART BECAUSE THE BLACKS WANT TO USE MOTHERFUCKER, BITCHES AND WHORES(HO'S) EVERY OTHER WORD IN A DAMN SONG.
YOU DEFEND BECAUSE ITS BLACKS ATTACKING THEIR WHITE MASTERS AND RULE OF LAW/DECENCY.
HYPOCRISY- LOOK IT IT UP

Your comparison was both childish and racist in its conception IMHO.

A RAPID PLAY ON THE RACE CARD--SO EASY TO REACH FOR , EH???

I cut you no slack on this specifically because I believe its ill represents your true character...TYR

jimnyc
08-27-2016, 09:28 AM
there are radio safe versions of most ..if not all...rap.
So again there's no way to be fair.
Unless they ban specific songs or all of them or only play classical.

SaveSave

In the end, gets to be more and more of a headache. I never got any damn music like that, we were lucky if we ever even got a ride! What a damn pain in the ass!! I'm ready to quit the public school administration already! LOL

jimnyc
08-27-2016, 09:32 AM
^^^^^ UTTER ROT!!!
WITH THAT FALSE COMPARISON YOU FAVOR ALLOWING IN CURSING, DEGRADATION OF WOMEN , ADMIRATION OF STEALING ETC..--BECAUSE YOU THINK ITS UNFAIR OR IS RACISM.

WHEN I WENT TO SCHOOL CURSING GOT OUR ASS SPANKED IF CONTINUED IT WOULD GET YOU EXPELLED.
NOW YOU AN OTHERS DEMAND ITS ART BECAUSE THE BLACKS WANT TO USE MOTHERFUCKER, BITCHES AND WHORES(HO'S) EVERY OTHER WORD IN A DAMN SONG.
YOU DEFEND BECAUSE ITS BLACKS ATTACKING THEIR WHITE MASTERS AND RULE OF LAW/DECENCY.
HYPOCRISY- LOOK IT IT UP

A RAPID PLAY ON THE RACE CARD--SO EASY TO REACH FOR , EH???-...TYR

We had some flimsy rulers that were kindly "delivered" to our hands by the nuns when I was in CCD. Kinda like in the Blue's Brothers when the "Penguin" beat the crap out of them for cursing!! :lol:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2016, 10:13 AM
We had some flimsy rulers that were kindly "delivered" to our hands by the nuns when I was in CCD. Kinda like in the Blue's Brothers when the "Penguin" beat the crap out of them for cursing!! :lol:
We had male teachers and principals that had paddles longer than a baseball bat that reached back to Montana to deliver each swing.
Trust each hit gave a deep and very painful bruise, yet we just grimaced and let out not a damn sound.
As it was considered unmanly, pansy-ass to show pain.
I've been cut, was too drunk for the emergency room doc( in 1973) to give me any pain killer, he sewed me up , 6 stitches in my chin -9 stitches top of my head.. I let out not a damn sound, shocked him!
He asked when he'd finished didnt you feel that??
I replied-hell yes and it hurt but it would be dishonorable to show how much and let out any type of cry.
His reply was, really how so?
I answered my grandfather was Native American and taught me not to do so.
Truth in the telling.....
By the way-yes it hurt like hell , especially while he was cleaning each cut before stitching.
That fight that night was, two on me, one was using an iron bar-attacked me from behind.
Story too long to bother telling here. --Tyr

revelarts
08-27-2016, 10:14 AM
^^^^^ UTTER ROT!!!

HYPOCRISY- LOOK IT IT UP

A RAPID PLAY ON THE RACE CARD--SO EASY TO REACH FOR , EH???

I cut you no slack on this specifically because I believe its ill represents your true character...TYR

:rolleyes:
I'd say the same if they were banning rock and roll, death metal, emo ,with all its sexual and suicide lyrics
or if they tried to ban muslim music.
or if they tried to ban Latino music with unknown "subversive" content. (and if it were banned it would be right to WONDER if part of the motive was race based there.)

plus i don't agree with them banning religious music at all Tyr.
And since i want CLASSICAL played instead aren't i bowing to the old white masters TYR?
CLEAR THINKING TYR LOOK IT UP!

We live in free society. people are free to make BAD choices. like drinking liquor and smoking.
But understand this if I were the king i'd ban MOST music including Pop because most of that are songs about adultery and sex out of wedlock.
Just because it's sugar coated white bread "art" doesn't make it any less sinful.

seems you've got a chip on your shoulder looking for "racism" to kick or blacks or me.
So back off and get you facts strait before you make your ridiculous accusations.
SaveSave

Perianne
08-27-2016, 10:23 AM
I'd say the same if they were banning rock and roll, death metal, emo ,with all its sexual and suicide lyrics
or if they tried to ban Latino music with unknown "subversive" content. (and if it were banned it would be right to WONDER if part of the motive was race based there.)

And since i want CLASSICAL played instead aren't i bowing to the old white masters TYR?
CLEAR THINKING TYR LOOK IT UP!

We live in free society. people are free to make BAD choices. like drinking liquor and smoking.
But understand this if I were the king i'd ban MOST music including Pop because most of that are songs about adultery and sex out of wedlock.
Just because it's sugar coated white bread "art" doesn't make it any less sinful.

seems you've got a chip on your shoulder looking for "racism" to kick or blacks or me.
So back off and get you facts strait before you make your ridiculous accusations.
SaveSave

I don't really care what music other people listen to, as long as I don't have to hear it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2016, 10:23 AM
I'd say the same if they were banning rock and roll, death metal, emo ,with sexual and suicide lyrics
or if they tried to ban spanish music with unknown "subversive" content.

If I were the king i'd ban MOST music including Pop because most of that are songs about adultery and sex out of wedlock.
just because it's sugar coated white bread "art" doesn't make it any less sinful.

seems you've got a chip on your shoulder looking for "racism" to kick of blacks or me
So back off and get you facts strait before you make you ridiculous accusations.

No, I made the exception because its school and underage kids are being taught.
Much of you reply to my previous post I can agree with where adults are concerned!
Schools-underage kids are not to be taught that such is ok.

No, I was not looking for racism but I know that racism is well represented in rap music--its full of it-which you seem to ignore.

My facts were straight and I have no chip where you are concerned-actually like you and admire you in many things..
Which is why my first reply came out as it did..
Seems you think any condemnation of blacks is racism--even if it is the truth..
That is your cross to bear my friend-- not mine.
I rather follow the path that truth can not ever be racist.
Let me know when and if ever you can prove truth to be racist.

And if you can prove that rap is not hate-filled and encourages anger against whites--which is clearly racist. -Tyr

Perianne
08-27-2016, 10:26 AM
And if you can prove that rap is not hate-filled and encourages anger against whites--which is clearly racist. -Tyr

Racists are the worst!!!! :)

revelarts
08-27-2016, 10:46 AM
No, I made the exception because its school and underage kids are being taught.
Much of you reply to my previous post I can agree with where adults are concerned!
Schools-underage kids are not to be taught that such is ok.

No, I was not looking for racism but I know that racism is well represented in rap music--its full of it-which you seem to ignore.

My facts were straight and I have no chip where you are concerned-actually like you and admire you in many things..
Which is why my first reply came out as it did..
Seems you think any condemnation of blacks is racism--even if it is the truth..
That is your cross to bear my friend-- not mine.
I rather follow the path that truth can not ever be racist.
Let me know when and if ever you can prove truth to be racist.

Tyr I don't listen to a lot of rap. I hear the 1st bars or 2 and then turn it OFF. Unless it's christian rap.

I'm not that familiar with the RACIST aspects that you seem so concerned with. that I'm supposedly Ignoring.
YOUR the only ones who's brought it HERE!
The last racist songs i remember in rap were done 25 years ago!

but I guess you're a RAP EXPERT well versed in it's content and meaning and seem to think that I'm suppose to be as well.
Sorry, I don't know what you're talking about.

so you're saying ALL rap music has racist Lyrics and should be banned on SCOOL BUSSES
All rap Music has Cussing and should be banned on SCOOL BUSSES
All rap music degrads women and should be banned on SCOOL BUSSES

But NO POP ROCK or other music should be banned because it's white and has ZERO content that's Racist,
ZERO Cussing,
No content that degrades women,
No Content that promotes suicide,
never Promotes murder,
never glorifies DEATH
never Promotes Drug use
never Promotes youthful sex
etc

RAP music IS the ONLY music that has bad content.
and should be banned and people should LIKE IT if not they are JUST racist and want to DEFEND BLACK PEOPLE no matter what they do.
sorry you're wrong.
we disagree here Tyr.

and don't try to wrap ALL racial issues into one basket when you look at my POV Tyr
On this the race issue was a sideshow IMO here until you decided to make it the main course.

Abbey Marie
08-27-2016, 11:46 AM
How long are most kids on the bus? 20 minutes, tops? Why do they need any music on the bus?

Talk to your friends, or better yet, read a book or do your damn homework. You know you didn't do it the night before.

Elessar
08-27-2016, 01:56 PM
Now, if we could just get it banned on a federal level... That shit sucks.

Syncopated Chant with foul language, demeaning terms for and to females, and racist overtones
in much of it.

It is not music...it is not even close.

revelarts
08-28-2016, 02:11 PM
Syncopated Chant with foul language, demeaning terms for and to females, and racist overtones
in much of it.

It is not music...it is not even close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoO775HYqM

Elessar
08-28-2016, 03:09 PM
so you're saying ALL rap music has racist Lyrics and should be banned on SCOOL BUSSES
All rap Music has Cussing and should be banned on SCOOL BUSSES
All rap music degrads women and should be banned on SCOOL BUSSES
On this the race issue was a sideshow IMO here until you decided to make it the main course.

Snipped for brevity of a long-winded bunch of smoke up your own butt.

There you go again, putting words into people's mouths

Elessar
08-28-2016, 03:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNoO775HYqM

Got a reply for that, or just another cut and paste strafing?

Gunny
08-28-2016, 06:16 PM
I'd be banning wearing your pants under your ass as well. We had a dress code when I was in until I was a teenager.

Kaimhel
08-28-2016, 06:39 PM
I'd be banning wearing your pants under your ass as well. We had a dress code when I was in until I was a teenager.

OMG yes! Pull your pants up, wear a belt or get whopped with it! And girls, cover your butts and don't let the girls hang all out. Not that hard to follow!

Who needs music on the anyway? Kids these days all have smartphones for all the entertainment they need. Yes, all that was sarcasm too. :laugh:

Gunny
08-28-2016, 07:11 PM
OMG yes! Pull your pants up, wear a belt or get whopped with it! And girls, cover your butts and don't let the girls hang all out. Not that hard to follow!

Who needs music on the anyway? Kids these days all have smartphones for all the entertainment they need. Yes, all that was sarcasm too. :laugh:

I wouldn't want to even be back in the Corps with all these cell phones. They would drive me nuts. Troops running around texting. Since the inmates run the asylum in schools nowadays, I don't know how teachers deal with it.

Elessar
08-28-2016, 09:13 PM
I wouldn't want to even be back in the Corps with all these cell phones. They would drive me nuts. Troops running around texting. Since the inmates run the asylum in schools nowadays, I don't know how teachers deal with it.

One answer: Ballpeen hammer!:laugh:

Elessar
08-28-2016, 09:15 PM

That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Is it supposed to impress? Funny thing is seeing them try to run!:laugh:

Elessar
08-28-2016, 09:20 PM

A smart stroke with a paddle will fix that....but Oh My God....'their Rights!'

Kaimhel
08-28-2016, 09:37 PM
That is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. Is it supposed to impress? Funny thing is seeing them try to run!:laugh:

"It's the cops! Quick! Waddle!!!" :laugh:

Gunny
08-28-2016, 10:06 PM

The funny part to me is watching these dummies on the tube try to run from cops with their pants under their asses and shoes not tied. Do you have to take stupid pills for that? Oh yeah, and hold onto their weapons and loot.

Never mind the fact I just don't want to see your drawers.

Elessar
08-28-2016, 10:46 PM
The funny part to me is watching these dummies on the tube try to run from cops with their pants under their asses and shoes not tied. Do you have to take stupid pills for that? Oh yeah, and hold onto their weapons and loot.

Never mind the fact I just don't want to see your drawers.

Yeah....and trying to shoot Hollywood sideways style:laugh:

Elessar
08-28-2016, 10:47 PM
"It's the cops! Quick! Waddle!!!" :laugh:

So silly and so correct!

Gunny
08-28-2016, 10:51 PM
Yeah....and trying to shoot Hollywood sideways style:laugh:

Another favorite of mine. Recoil, anyone?

Elessar
08-28-2016, 10:59 PM
Another favorite of mine. Recoil, anyone?

No shit! Even a measly 9mm has recoil. Try a .45 or .50 handgun ganbangers
and drugies

Noir
08-29-2016, 10:29 AM
How many radio stations play uncensored rap music during the hours a bus goes too and from school?

Elessar
08-29-2016, 06:56 PM
How many radio stations play uncensored rap music during the hours a bus goes too and from school?

Who really knows? I depends on where you live, I imagine.

Gunny
08-29-2016, 11:06 PM
Who really knows? I depends on where you live, I imagine.

No. It depends on what you can get on you i phone. This teen here wa;lks around 24-7 listening to hers.