PDA

View Full Version : Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2016, 12:18 PM
http://historyhole.com/can_you_pass_an_8th_grade_test_from_1912/?utm_source=b.can_you_pass_an_8th_grade_test_from_ 1912._6_d_us_hh_0c_1a1..va&utm_medium=N&utm_campaign=802&utm_term=6&utm_content=0c

Can You Pass an 8th Grade Test from 1912? I got 38 of 40 right
Share your results

Take the test, you will be surprised how hard it is.
I expected to easily get a 100.
Still not sure which ones I missed. --Tyr

NightTrain
08-27-2016, 02:54 PM
31 of 40, I'm embarrassed to say... that was a tough test.

Honestly, though, I ballparked most of the math questions in my head.

And that stupid building/rope question still doesn't make any sense.

jimnyc
08-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Have a bit of a headache tonight anyway. Seriously got about 20 questions into it and stopped. I would guess probably like 15 or so correct, that's some hard questions!! I'd be happy if I finished 50/50, but I'm not going to try for sure and embarrass myself. :) :coffee: Besides, I never even passed 7th grade yet, so let's not

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2016, 05:01 PM

Math is my strong suit , so I am sure that I got all those right--did the calculations in my head..
Test took me longer than I thought it should have but at age 62 now- I see just how much slower my brain works.
About ten questions forced me to think really hard and I think two of those ten are the two I missed.
At age twenty, I'd have zipped thru that test.
I ball-parked one of the math questions myself NT.. -TYR

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
08-27-2016, 05:04 PM
Have a bit of a headache tonight anyway. Seriously got about 20 questions into it and stopped. I would guess probably like 15 or so correct, that's some hard questions!! I'd be happy if I finished 50/50, but I'm not going to try for sure and embarrass myself. :) :coffee: Besides, I never even passed 7th grade yet, so let's not
THAT TEST WAS CLEARLY DESIGNED FOR YOUNG BRAINS MY FRIEND.
It definitely shows how low our public school system has sank as that test would now very likely be considered college level and about half the kids these days would flunk it methinks.-Tyr

Russ
08-28-2016, 05:02 PM
Wow, that was hard. I got a 35, but there were way more than 5 questions that I was guessing on. Especially the grammar questions, like "how many types of adjectives are there?" I've never heard of that stuff.
That was an 8th grade test from 1912? I'll bet that you could give that to 12th graders today and most of them would get below 50%.
I loved the question on "what are the three biggest states?" that didn't include Alaska as an option. I'm betting NightTrain got a grin out of that one. :salute:

Russ
08-28-2016, 05:05 PM

I kept thinking it ought to be 10 feet because the rope is hanging 30 feet above the ground, but then figured they must mean the rope reaches the ground and can go 30 feet out away from the building too - like a 3-4-5 right triangle hypotenuse.

Gunny
08-28-2016, 06:12 PM
I bailed on it. Too much math. I hate math. Know how to do it for a living but not leisure.

aboutime
08-28-2016, 07:14 PM
Tyr. I'll try tomorrow, when I'm not as tired. But, if I did take the test now. I'd have to become a Hillary, or an Obama....and just LIE about the answers. Hoping to convince everybody else I got them all right.:laugh:

NightTrain
08-28-2016, 09:40 PM
I kept thinking it ought to be 10 feet because the rope is hanging 30 feet above the ground, but then figured they must mean the rope reaches the ground and can go 30 feet out away from the building too - like a 3-4-5 right triangle hypotenuse.

Right! The only problem was that 10 feet wasn't one of the answers... I think I stabbed at 20 even though it didn't fit my logic.

I'm still kerfluffled with that one.

And, yeah... having no AK as the biggest confused me for a sec before I remembered that it wasn't a State back in 1912! :laugh:

Perianne
08-29-2016, 12:38 AM
Interesting test. I found two of their answers to be incorrect.

First, not all arteries carry oxygenated blood, so there was no way to answer that question correctly. Second, the spinal cord does not support the body, protect the organs, nor allow for mobility. The spinal column does that.

There may be more errors, but the medical ones are the ones I caught.

Elessar
08-29-2016, 06:19 PM
I got 35....

But have to put the errors up and being a 1912 test, such as the Alaska issue and spinal cord question.

aboutime
08-29-2016, 07:24 PM
http://historyhole.com/can_you_pass_an_8th_grade_test_from_1912/?utm_source=b.can_you_pass_an_8th_grade_test_from_ 1912._6_d_us_hh_0c_1a1..va&utm_medium=N&utm_campaign=802&utm_term=6&utm_content=0c

Take the test, you will be surprised how hard it is.
I expected to easily get a 100.
Still not sure which ones I missed. --Tyr

Tyr. Just tried it. Got to 30, and gave up after guessing all of the English definitions of Noun, etc.
Soo...I failed...Happily. Last time I was in a school class was 1964. But I am not embarrassed. Not knowing how limited today's COMMON CORE crap has worked to destroy learning...UNLESS, they can TEXT it, or TWITTER it.:laugh: