PDA

View Full Version : Personal Phobias

Elessar
08-29-2016, 05:48 PM
I am not afraid to admit I hate flying! The take-offs and landings both really set me on edge.

One thing I liked about our helo's though (and now major airlines) - headphones so you can
listen to cockpit and Air Traffic chatter.

Perianne
08-29-2016, 05:51 PM
Fear of heights, acrophobia.

Bilgerat
08-29-2016, 06:34 PM
I am not afraid to admit I hate flying! The take-offs and landings both really set me on edge.

One thing I liked about our helo's though (and now major airlines) - headphones so you can
listen to cockpit and Air Traffic chatter.

I've always hated heights

I figure that God put my nose at the height he did for a reason. If he wanted it higher, he would've put it there.

So working below decks in the Main Space worked for me :salute::salute:

Elessar
08-29-2016, 06:44 PM
I've always hated heights

I figure that God put my nose at the height he did for a reason. If he wanted it higher, he would've put it there.

So working below decks in the Main Space worked for me :salute::salute:

It is funny Bilge. During Basic, a Career Counselor recommended that I go ASM
(Aviation Survivalman) because of my swimming and lifesaving skill. When he said
I might have to jump out of a helicopter, That ended the conversation. Not gonna get
me up in one freely to begin with!:laugh:

Abbey Marie
08-29-2016, 08:20 PM
I'm quite claustrophobic, and have always been afraid of the dark, too.

Drummond
08-29-2016, 09:23 PM
I once believed I had no tendency towards claustrophobia .. and, usually, that's true. But back in the 1980's I was involved in a road accident that involved my being squeezed into a type of CT scanner which involved my body being inserted into a very cramped tube so that the scan could take place. I had to fight down a massive urge to escape the tube (I managed it somehow).

I can't think of any other phobias of mine, except for one.

... Lefties !!

Elessar
08-29-2016, 09:47 PM
I once believed I had no tendency towards claustrophobia .. and, usually, that's true. But back in the 1980's I was involved in a road accident that involved my being squeezed into a type of CT scanner which involved my body being inserted into a very cramped tube so that the scan could take place. I had to fight down a massive urge to escape the tube (I managed it somehow).

... Lefties !!

I've been through several MRI's....I hate those tubes!

Gunny
08-29-2016, 10:44 PM
It is funny Bilge. During Basic, a Career Counselor recommended that I go ASM
(Aviation Survivalman) because of my swimming and lifesaving skill. When he said
I might have to jump out of a helicopter, That ended the conversation. Not gonna get
me up in one freely to begin with!:laugh:

Claustrophobic. Same answer here when they came looking for sub duty.

Jumping out of a bird means nothing to me. Try doing it on the deck of a moving ship. You can drop 10 ft or 30. Just depends on where that ship is in the swell when it's your turn.

crin63
08-30-2016, 08:36 AM
Claustrophobic here. It started after a few months of being a human pipe cleaner and then getting the side button of my bibs stuck in a tube. A G.E. steam turbine generator exploded. The shell expanded 2" from the explosion. Once it cooled down the unit was about 15/16" expanded. I had to find all the cracked welds.

It got worse after my TBI because I can't process sounds properly. Now I get claustrophobic in crowds.

Bilgerat
08-30-2016, 08:59 AM

... Lefties !!

I've been through several MRI's....I hate those tubes!

I can't remember all the MRI's I've had over the years, but I remember that I always had a great nap in them :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
08-30-2016, 07:34 PM
I literally have to be drugged to get an MRI.

Kathianne
08-30-2016, 07:42 PM
I don't get claustrophobic in small places, even MRI. However, I do tend to run/pass out when in crowds, that's when claustrophobia sets in. It happened to me in school, at concerts, at Chicagofest, and my daughter's college graduation.

I try to run, can't escape, pass out. People move away when you hit the ground! LOL!

jimnyc
08-30-2016, 07:43 PM
I hate MRI's too. But my biggest fear is of spiders!! Imagine being stuck in an MRI machine and a spider comes crawling on by? I always wondered, if you have to, can you slide out of that thing yourself?

But yeah, I don't see the inside of an MRI machine very often. Maybe 3 times in my life? But there are spiders everywhere!!

Abbey Marie
08-30-2016, 07:47 PM
I hate MRI's too. But my biggest fear is of spiders!! Imagine being stuck in an MRI machine and a spider comes crawling on by? I always wondered, if you have to, can you slide out of that thing yourself?

But yeah, I don't see the inside of an MRI machine very often. Maybe 3 times in my life? But there are spiders everywhere!!

I had a 90 minute brain MRI when I was 8 months pregnant. In the old fashioned flat closed MRIs. Belly was touching the top. Nightmare.

jimnyc
08-30-2016, 07:48 PM
I had a 90 minute brain MRI when I was 8 months pregnant. In the old fashioned flat closed MRIs. Belly was touching the top. Nightmare.

Yikes, 90 minutes is a no go. Mine were no more than 20-30 minutes tops. That damn clunking noise made me feel like I was in there for days.

Gunny
08-30-2016, 07:49 PM
I don't get claustrophobic in small places, even MRI. However, I do tend to run/pass out when in crowds, that's when claustrophobia sets in. It happened to me in school, at concerts, at Chicagofest, and my daughter's college graduation.

I try to run, can't escape, pass out. People move away when you hit the ground! LOL!

Isn't that a different phobia though? I won't go near a crowd. I can't stand people being less than an arm's length away, I've been accused of having my head on a swivel. :laugh:

aboutime
08-30-2016, 08:10 PM
I have developed a phobia caused by FEARS. Fears that the futures of our grandchildren, and the United States Of America may suddenly come to an end if HILLARY is elected. And I am not joking. We all must tell ourselves, the reality of America today, with the huge number of literally UNEDUCATED who will vote in November. SHE COULD (GOD FORBID) WIN.

I found this today online. I am not much of a conspiracy nut. But this jumped out at me.

See what you think.
http://youtu.be/m-8iaJTC5jk

Abbey Marie
08-30-2016, 08:19 PM
Isn't that a different phobia though? I won't go near a crowd. I can't stand people being less than an arm's length away, I've been accused of having my head on a swivel. :laugh:

I think crowds are a different phobia

Kathianne
08-30-2016, 08:28 PM
I think crowds are a different phobia

It has to do with everyone being taller, at least that's how it seems to me. Developed in high school, doctor said from description-it was claustrophobia. 'It's like everyone is moving towards me, I have to get out! When I can't, it's lights out.' I literally can't breathe and my heart is racing, then comes hyperventilation. Night, night.

Gunny
08-30-2016, 10:26 PM
It has to do with everyone being taller, at least that's how it seems to me. Developed in high school, doctor said from description-it was claustrophobia. 'It's like everyone is moving towards me, I have to get out! When I can't, it's lights out.' I literally can't breathe and my heart is racing, then comes hyperventilation. Night, night.

Has to do with everyone being a threat to me.

Abbey Marie
08-30-2016, 11:16 PM
Fear of crowds: Enochlophobia
http://www.fearof.net/fear-of-crowds-phobia-enochlophobia/

Perianne
08-30-2016, 11:28 PM
I have developed a phobia caused by FEARS. Fears that the futures of our grandchildren, and the United States Of America may suddenly come to an end if HILLARY is elected. And I am not joking. We all must tell ourselves, the reality of America today, with the huge number of literally UNEDUCATED who will vote in November. SHE COULD (GOD FORBID) WIN.

I found this today online. I am not much of a conspiracy nut. But this jumped out at me.

See what you think.
http://youtu.be/m-8iaJTC5jk

Interesting, @aboutime (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=2272). I put nothing past a Democrat, especially a nasty tramp like Hillary.

crin63
08-31-2016, 09:28 AM
Has to do with everyone being a threat to me.

I know that's part of it for me. In a crowd, I can't hear or see a threat. So the whole thing is a threat now.

My head is always on a swivel. So is my daughters. I taught her to always watch her surroundings and notice the things out of place.

Elessar
08-31-2016, 09:38 AM
I used to not mind crowds too much if they are behaved. But since my knee got torn
up, I do not like all the quick lateral movement trying to navigate through them.

Abbey Marie
08-31-2016, 09:48 AM
I know that's part of it for me. In a crowd, I can't hear or see a threat. So the whole thing is a threat now.

My head is always on a swivel. So is my daughters. I taught her to always watch her surroundings and notice the things out of place.

When you grow in the South Bronx as I did, you pretty naturally learn to do that everywhere you go. Here in the suburbs, I try to train our daughter to be aware of her surroundings, but it's a struggle. People who haven't experienced stuff just don't get it.

SassyLady
08-31-2016, 02:03 PM
My phobia .... gas explosions. When I was little girl... tried to light oven and waited too long to get match to pilot and poof .... lost eyebrows, eyelashes and some hair. To this day the smell of gas/propane makes me jittery. Even that ticking noise that happens before fire ignites is a little nerve wracking. I don't even like lighting a match .. smell is nauseous.

SassyLady
08-31-2016, 02:11 PM
As for claustrophobia... have had a few MRIS and I just have to focus on my breathing .. like I did when hiding in closet from abusive stepdad as a kid.

Don't like crowds ... causes mild anxiety .. but it has taught me how to maneuver through one so fast I lose a lot of people trying to keep up. I just tell them I'll meet you there.

I've gotten over my fear of snakes .. killed a few (rattkesnakes) this last year .. 3 in July.

Oh, Jim, it's tarantula season right now so they are everywhere. They are harmless so we leave them alone.

I used to be scared of scorpions ... but after getting bit and surviving (painful process) I'm a dedicated scorpion hunter. Take my blacklight flashlight out every now and then and usually kill 3 or 4 in a night.

Abbey Marie
08-31-2016, 04:45 PM
As for claustrophobia... have had a few MRIS and I just have to focus on my breathing .. like I did when hiding in closet from abusive stepdad as a kid.

Don't like crowds ... causes mild anxiety .. but it has taught me how to maneuver through one so fast I lose a lot of people trying to keep up. I just tell them I'll meet you there.

I've gotten over my fear of snakes .. killed a few (rattkesnakes) this last year .. 3 in July.

Oh, Jim, it's tarantula season right now so they are everywhere. They are harmless so we leave them alone.

I used to be scared of scorpions ... but after getting bit and surviving (painful process) I'm a dedicated scorpion hunter. Take my blacklight flashlight out every now and then and usually kill 3 or 4 in a night.

Though I know how she looks, this is how I am picturing our Sassy now (plus boobs, of course!):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/d5/d5/13d5d521b20ad604d2115f493c43ab28.jpg

Elessar
08-31-2016, 07:24 PM

You'd do well with Ronald Weasley in the 'Harry Potter' Series!

Did you know with the exception of the polar regions and higher elevations (Mt Everest, etc),
you are never more than ten feet of a spider?:laugh:

Laughing with You.!!

Drummond
08-31-2016, 07:26 PM
Fear of crowds: Enochlophobia

http://www.fearof.net/fear-of-crowds-phobia-enochlophobia/

OK, I'll be criticised for introducing politics into this. But the 'Enoch' part of the term Abbey's come up with, makes this nearly irresistible ...

Fear of immigrant crowds ... Enoch Powell-ophobia ....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/20/newsid_2489000/2489357.stm

The Conservative right-winger Enoch Powell has made a hard-hitting speech attacking the government's immigration policy.

Addressing a Conservative association meeting in Birmingham, Mr Powell said Britain had to be mad to allow in 50,000 dependents of immigrants each year.

He compared it to watching a nation busily engaged in heaping up its own funeral pyre ....

Gunny
08-31-2016, 07:54 PM
I used to fear heights. Go to boot camp. I was afraid of the drill instructors if I showed fear and failed. :laugh:

SassyLady
08-31-2016, 11:49 PM
Though I know how she looks, this is how I am picturing our Sassy now (plus boobs, of course!):

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/13/d5/d5/13d5d521b20ad604d2115f493c43ab28.jpg
Awesome!

Trigg
09-01-2016, 02:49 PM
Severe fear of heights.

Hubby and I were scuba diving and we went to the "drop off" and looked over. Behind us was the coral reef all bright, colorful and sunny. The drop off went straight down and was black.

I panicked and had to go to the surface. My rational mind was telling me "your floating idiot, you can't fall", the other portion was screaming "OMG it's the side of a cliff".

Elessar
09-02-2016, 07:06 PM
Yikes, 90 minutes is a no go. Mine were no more than 20-30 minutes tops. That damn clunking noise made me feel like I was in there for days.

3 times I was all the way in for 45 minutes, two of them for a knee.

45 minutes for the back I understood....but that much for a frikkin knee?

At least they gave you headphones to listen to an FM radio channel (K-Earth, KRTH, 101 in Los Angeles).

Elessar
09-02-2016, 07:12 PM
My phobia .... gas explosions. When I was little girl... tried to light oven and waited too long to get match to pilot and poof .... lost eyebrows, eyelashes and some hair. To this day the smell of gas/propane makes me jittery. Even that ticking noise that happens before fire ignites is a little nerve wracking. I don't even like lighting a match .. smell is nauseous.

Try using a long nosed lighter such as you might use for a BBQ Grill.

Elessar
09-02-2016, 07:15 PM
I used to fear heights. Go to boot camp. I was afraid of the drill instructors if I showed fear and failed. :laugh:

It is really funny. I hate flying, but free-climbed rocks as well as climbed up in trees. I will admit some
of the highway views in the Sierra Nevada gave me bouts of vertigo though, but beautiful views!

Gunny
09-03-2016, 06:40 PM
It is really funny. I hate flying, but free-climbed rocks as well as climbed up in trees. I will admit some
of the highway views in the Sierra Nevada gave me bouts of vertigo though, but beautiful views!

I used to rock climb out in Indian Cove in the Mojave. First broken ankle. :laugh: I find heights weird. I got over my fear of heights because of helicopters and ships. Then when I became an electrician, It took me awhile to get over those ladders.

SassyLady
09-03-2016, 08:57 PM
Severe fear of heights.

Hubby and I were scuba diving and we went to the "drop off" and looked over. Behind us was the coral reef all bright, colorful and sunny. The drop off went straight down and was black.

I panicked and had to go to the surface. My rational mind was telling me "your floating idiot, you can't fall", the other portion was screaming "OMG it's the side of a cliff".

Well, I was told to not get close because the drift would stuck me over and down. So, maybe not falling but definitely not something I wanted to challenge. Trigg, that was a very scary dive and I don't blame you for wanting out.

SassyLady
09-03-2016, 08:59 PM
Try using a long nosed lighter such as you might use for a BBQ Grill.

That has been my solution ... have them all over the house to light candles.

They definitely don't have that match "stinky" odor.

Elessar
09-03-2016, 09:39 PM
I used to rock climb out in Indian Cove in the Mojave. First broken ankle. :laugh: I find heights weird. I got over my fear of heights because of helicopters and ships. Then when I became an electrician, It took me awhile to get over those ladders.

Ladders do not bother me...It is strange what heights do to us all.