PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Joe defeats three in Republican primary

jimnyc
08-31-2016, 09:18 AM
PHOENIX (Reuters) - The Arizona sheriff famous for his tough stance on illegal immigration and keeping jail inmates in tents easily won his Republican primary on Tuesday.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who is seeking election to a seventh term as the top lawman for the area around Phoenix, won about 66 percent of the vote, well ahead of ex-police chief and three-time opponent Dan Saban, according to unofficial election results posted online by the county.

Also on the Republican primary ballot were Wayne Baker, a retired deputy sheriff, and Marsha Ann Hill, an ex-sheriff’s volunteer.

Arpaio is slated to face Democrat Paul Penzone, who was unopposed in his party's primary, in the general election. Penzone, a former Phoenix police officer who is expected to present a tough challenge to Arpaio in November, lost to the longtime sheriff in 2012 by six percentage points.

Arpaio, 84, was expected to win his primary despite a judge’s request that criminal contempt charges be brought against him stemming from a 2007 racial profiling case where he was found to have violated the constitutional rights of Latino motorists.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/veteran-arizona-sheriff-easily-wins-republican-primary-local-043450708.html

crin63
08-31-2016, 09:36 AM
Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a very interesting man with quite a history. I went to see him at the Nixon Library. It was a motivational type speech where he went over his life and accomplishments. I used to be a campaign donor and admired him greatly.

jimnyc
08-31-2016, 09:50 AM
Sheriff Joe Arpaio is a very interesting man with quite a history. I went to see him at the Nixon Library. It was a motivational type speech where he went over his life and accomplishments. I used to be a campaign donor and admired him greatly.

The man has been married for 58 years! I think that says a lot about a person, IMO. :)