PDA

View Full Version : ‘Never Trump’ Republicans weigh how — or whether — to vote on Election Day

jimnyc
09-08-2016, 01:11 PM
I sure hope it doesn't come to this. I get why folks don't like Trump. I get that they don't like Clinton. I also get the 3rd party candidates. But coming out to potentially vote for Hillary? That I cannot get.

-----

They were defeated in the primaries, failed to stop Donald Trump at the convention, and now the “never Trump” forces within the GOP are having to come to grips with what they’ll actually do when they enter the polling booth in November.

Few say they’ll pull the lever for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, but neither Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson nor Evan McMullin, an independent conservative offering himself as the unofficial GOP choice, are earning groundswell support.

Some of the anti-Trump forces say they’re so frustrated, they’ll stay home on Election Day — unless it looks like doing so would help Mr. Trump, in which case they’ll turn out to give Mrs. Clinton a boost over him.

“I will maintain my high moral principles about not voting for [her], unless it looks like Trump might carry Florida, in which case I’ll throw my principles over the side and try to prevent that,” said Mac Stipanovich, a Republican lawyer based in Florida.

“You could drill a hole in my face with a wood bit and I wouldn’t vote for Donald Trump,” said Mr. Stipanovich, who penned an open letter in May calling on Republicans to stay home or vote for Mrs. Clinton “if conscience permits.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/6/never-trump-republicans-weigh-how-or-whether-to-vo/

Perianne
09-08-2016, 02:36 PM
I sure hope it doesn't come to this. I get why folks don't like Trump. I get that they don't like Clinton. I also get the 3rd party candidates. But coming out to potentially vote for Hillary? That I cannot get.

-----

They were defeated in the primaries, failed to stop Donald Trump at the convention, and now the “never Trump” forces within the GOP are having to come to grips with what they’ll actually do when they enter the polling booth in November.

Few say they’ll pull the lever for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, but neither Libertarian Party nominee Gary Johnson nor Evan McMullin, an independent conservative offering himself as the unofficial GOP choice, are earning groundswell support.

Some of the anti-Trump forces say they’re so frustrated, they’ll stay home on Election Day — unless it looks like doing so would help Mr. Trump, in which case they’ll turn out to give Mrs. Clinton a boost over him.

“I will maintain my high moral principles about not voting for [her], unless it looks like Trump might carry Florida, in which case I’ll throw my principles over the side and try to prevent that,” said Mac Stipanovich, a Republican lawyer based in Florida.

“You could drill a hole in my face with a wood bit and I wouldn’t vote for Donald Trump,” said Mr. Stipanovich, who penned an open letter in May calling on Republicans to stay home or vote for Mrs. Clinton “if conscience permits.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/sep/6/never-trump-republicans-weigh-how-or-whether-to-vo/

Sounds like someone on here.

jimnyc
09-08-2016, 02:43 PM
Sounds like someone on here.

We have some folks on here that like the Libertarian ticket and despise the main 2, and that's quite similar to what a lot of the nation feels. Of course we can, and likely will, argue this until long after the election is over, let's please not point names and such and bring anymore animosity to the board than is already here. :)

Hell, I have a family member that isn't far off from "what to do" in this election. I respect that, even if I don't understand at times. :)

Perianne
09-08-2016, 02:56 PM
We have some folks on here that like the Libertarian ticket and despise the main 2, and that's quite similar to what a lot of the nation feels. Of course we can, and likely will, argue this until long after the election is over, let's please not point names and such and bring anymore animosity to the board than is already here. :)

Hell, I have a family member that isn't far off from "what to do" in this election. I respect that, even if I don't understand at times. :)

As always, you are right, sir.

jimnyc
09-08-2016, 03:07 PM
As always, you are right, sir.

Always? I wish!! :thumb:

revelarts
09-09-2016, 08:50 AM
Not sure which conservatives here would vote FOR Hilary under any circumstances.
I think if there were any, that they all left the board a while back.

crin63
09-09-2016, 10:49 PM
I completely get that some people think Trump is the worst possible thing that can happen to Conservatism because he isn't a Conservative but will be labeled as one to pummel Conservatives and it will be worse than the way GWB was used. I agree with that view. Yet, I don't know how anyone can ever pull the lever for Hillary.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-10-2016, 08:23 AM
I completely get that some people think Trump is the worst possible thing that can happen to Conservatism because he isn't a Conservative but will be labeled as one to pummel Conservatives and it will be worse than the way GWB was used. I agree with that view. Yet, I don't know how anyone can ever pull the lever for Hillary.

Yet, I don't know how anyone can ever pull the lever for Hillary.

^^^^^ Any person on our side that pulls the lever for that sworn enemy of this nation and conservatism should never ever dare try to justify it to me..
And if it were a man, facing me, trying to insult my intelligence by doing such, I would very likely break him like a twig.....
Nobody is that stupid, that claims to be a conservative and truly IS one IMHO.. -TYR

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-10-2016, 08:30 AM

I AGREE.
I HAVE A FAMILY MEMBER THAT THINKS TRUMP IS PURE SCUM AND MAYBE HILLARY IS NOT SO BAD..
After our last talk on the subject (over 8 months ago) , I warned him to never bring THE SUBJECT up to me again if he valued actually keeping all of his teeth.
I have never suffered fools gladly my friend.
Yet I value family and checked my anger in his case..-Tyr

Elessar
09-10-2016, 07:56 PM
Not sure which conservatives here would vote FOR Hilary under any circumstances.
I think if there were any, that they all left the board a while back.

I would NOT touch her under any circumstances. I know far too much about
her behavior since she was sanctioned from the Watergate Commission.

jimnyc
09-10-2016, 08:03 PM

Unfortunately, more ways to give Hillary votes than actually pulling a lever on her side. :(

Perianne
09-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Unfortunately, more ways to give Hillary votes than actually pulling a lever on her side. :(

Very wise, Jim. Hillary is going to get X amount of votes. It takes X+ to defeat her. So, voting for some other candidate does not neutralize her natural base's votes.