PDA

View Full Version : Pence: Trump carries on Reagan's legacy

jimnyc
09-08-2016, 02:18 PM
SIMI VALLEY, California — Republican vice-presidential nominee Mike Pence, governor of Indiana, drew parallels Thursday morning between Donald Trump and Ronald Reagan, casting Trump as the inheritor of Reagan’s political legacy.

Though there were differences in style between Reagan and Trump, “at the very heart of Donald Trump’s campaign for patience is the same impatience, the same dissatisfaction with the status quo,” and the “same confidence in the boundless potential of the American people to set things right,” Pence said.

“I will tell you, knowing my running mate … there are fundamental similarities between these two men,” Pence said, citing honesty, toughness, and belief in America’s core principles.

Pence told a packed hall at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library that he had once been a Democrat — a “community organizer, truth be told,” he joked — before being inspired by Reagan’s ideas and his example.

He recalled meeting Reagan in the White House in 1988 as a 29-year-old candidate for Congress from Indiana. “This man’s the reason I became a Republican,” Pence recalled telling his wife as they waited to meet the president, saying that introducing himself to Reagan felt like he “shook hands with Mount Rushmore.”

That inspiration, Pence said, continued when he became governor of California in 2012, when he learned from his predecessor, Mitch Daniels, who had worked for Reagan and conveyed the lessons of his leadership.

Pence declared “It’s exactly that kind of leadership that Donald Trump is going to bring to Washington, D.C.”

He recalled that the media “mocked and dismissed” Reagan as a “simpleton” and “little more than a celebrity and an entertainer who entered politics late in life.”

“Sound familiar?” he asked, to chuckles from the audience.

But “soon, something amazing began to happen,” Pence said, as Reagan drew support from across the political spectrum.

“They heard the unmistakable sound of a man unbound by Washington niceties … Ronald Reagan spoke the truth to the American people, just like Donald Trump has.”

http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/09/08/mike-pence-ronald-reagan-donald-trump-reagan-library/