PDA

View Full Version : NFL won't allow 9/11 cleats

jimnyc
09-10-2016, 12:45 PM
Allow the players to send a message via protesting the flag and anthem

DO NOT allow players to send a message via honoring 5 victims killed in the line of duty in Dallas.
DO NOT allow players to send a message via honoring 9/11/01

-----

NFL squashes Titans linebacker Avery Williamson's plan to honor 9/11 victims

https://i.imgur.com/SkJPzUW.jpg

The NFL squashed Titans starting linebacker Avery Williamson’s plan to use fancy footwear to honor those who died on Sept. 11, 2001.

Williamson was going to wear custom patriotic cleats during the Titans’ home opener against the Vikings on Sunday, the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, but those plans changed when a league representative called to inform him about a looming fine for violating uniform code.

“I don’t want to draw negative attention, so I’m just going to focus on playing the game,” Williamson told The Tennessean on Friday. “Once I heard from them, I didn’t even try to argue anything. I just left it alone. I didn’t want to press the issue.”

The star-spangled blue cleats with red- and white-striped Nike swooshes were airbrushed by True Blue Customs in Lexington, Ky. They feature the words “Never Forget” and “9/11” on the back of each shoe, with the "11" representing the Twin Towers. The NFL mandates all teammates wear the same color scheme on their shoes.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/09/09/nfl-squashes-titans-linebacker-avery-williamsons-plan-honor-911-victims/89956128/

Abbey Marie
09-10-2016, 04:39 PM
:mad:

Elessar
09-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Allow the players to send a message via protesting the flag and anthem

DO NOT allow players to send a message via honoring 5 victims killed in the line of duty in Dallas.
DO NOT allow players to send a message via honoring 9/11/01

-----

NFL squashes Titans linebacker Avery Williamson's plan to honor 9/11 victims

https://i.imgur.com/SkJPzUW.jpg

The NFL squashed Titans starting linebacker Avery Williamson’s plan to use fancy footwear to honor those who died on Sept. 11, 2001.

Williamson was going to wear custom patriotic cleats during the Titans’ home opener against the Vikings on Sunday, the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 terrorist attacks, but those plans changed when a league representative called to inform him about a looming fine for violating uniform code.

“I don’t want to draw negative attention, so I’m just going to focus on playing the game,” Williamson told The Tennessean on Friday. “Once I heard from them, I didn’t even try to argue anything. I just left it alone. I didn’t want to press the issue.”

The star-spangled blue cleats with red- and white-striped Nike swooshes were airbrushed by True Blue Customs in Lexington, Ky. They feature the words “Never Forget” and “9/11” on the back of each shoe, with the "11" representing the Twin Towers. The NFL mandates all teammates wear the same color scheme on their shoes.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2016/09/09/nfl-squashes-titans-linebacker-avery-williamsons-plan-honor-911-victims/89956128/

Sunday, 9/11 is Patriot's Day. What is the NFL's problem? I think the league management is
slitting it's own throat.

jimnyc
09-10-2016, 07:49 PM
Sunday, 9/11 is Patriot's Day. What is the NFL's problem? I think the league management is
slitting it's own throat.

I guess it's anything with a message, but unsure. I know tons of players get custom cleats weekly, and that's never been an issue before. But most only mess with the colors to match their uniforms in various ways. Or maybe they are worried that if they allow it for one, that the following week things will look like a rainbow?

Regardless, they need to seriously rethink what they DO and DON'T allow though. Because standing back and allowing the disrespect to the country, the flag, the anthem and those who died fighting for our country - and saying NO to fallen police or those fallen on 9/11 - it sure does send a shitty message.