PDA

View Full Version : Peri - what happens if someone drops

jimnyc
09-12-2016, 04:06 PM
Maybe not dropping dead the night before, but I believe this still answers your question...

-----

What happens if a US presidential candidate drops out?

Washington (AFP) - What happens if a candidate for the White House is forced to quit the race? Who steps up to fill their shoes?

It's a question suddenly in the spotlight Monday as Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton battles a case of pneumonia that left her feeling so poorly she abruptly left a high-profile 9/11 memorial ceremony a day earlier.

The former secretary of state, 68, was resting at home in Chappaqua, New York and cancelled appearances at events scheduled for Monday and Tuesday in California.

"(Clinton) continues to feel better, but intends to remain at home today, following her doctor's recommendation to rest," campaign spokesman Nick Merrill said.

The US Constitution gives no guidance on instances when a candidate is unable to finish a political race.

The procedures are found by delving into the internal regulations of the political parties.

Article two, section seven of the Democratic Party bylaws states that "a special meeting to fill a vacancy on the National ticket shall be held on the call of the Chairperson."

Republican Party regulations describe a similar procedure.

At the Democratic Party gathering, the decision would be based on a majority vote by those present.

But there's little precedent to guide their choices.

Although Clinton is expected to make a full recovery from what appears to be a routine illness, analysts have floated names of those who could take on the party mantle should she be forced to drop out.

They are: Clinton running mate Tim Kaine, grassroots darling and Clinton's primary challenger Bernie Sanders, and current Vice President Joe Biden.

- Uncharted territory -

David Lublin, a professor of government at American University, said Democratic party officials could choose anyone who meets the criteria to serve in the nation's highest office.

"It would certainly would be uncharted territory," he said, adding that in his opinion, the most logical choice would be Kaine, followed by Sanders and the popular Biden.

Jeanne Zaino, a professor of political science at Iona College in New York, said the parties have kept the process "purposely vague because it gives them the opportunity to make the best decision, rather than tie their hands with some kind of process that would give them a nominee they will not be comfortable with."

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/news/happens-us-presidential-candidate-drops-192356288.html

Perianne
09-12-2016, 04:13 PM
Thanks, Jim. You are nice man. I have been wondering about this recently.

"It would certainly would be uncharted territory,"

Let us hope we sail into that uncharted territory.

jimnyc
09-12-2016, 04:21 PM
Thanks, Jim. You are nice man. I have been wondering about this recently.

"It would certainly would be uncharted territory,"

Let us hope we sail into that uncharted territory.

Thing is, they could replace her with "Chucky" from Child's Play, and the vote count would probably be identical.

Perianne
09-12-2016, 04:22 PM
Thing is, they could replace her with "Chucky" from Child's Play, and the vote count would probably be identical.

Chucky would be better.

Here is a list of people I dislike more than Hillary:

Drummond
09-12-2016, 06:30 PM
I get mailouts from the Tea Party.

Something I just saw suggested that Obama may be riding on the speculation about Clinton's health, to make an argument for his serving a third term (the election suspended, maybe on his order ?).

I suspect it's not possible. Still,the suggestion is out there ..

http://www.teaparty.org/election-suspended-hillary-drops-186885/

Elessar
09-12-2016, 08:30 PM
According to the plans of both major parties, a candidate would be chosen by
the respective party committee.

aboutime
09-12-2016, 08:39 PM
Call me crazy if you must. But I have had a lousy feeling for a long, long time, that all of this DRAMA was planned for, long, long ago.
If Hillary was to drop out (which I doubt). There would be such an outcry of TEARS, and FEELING SORRY for her....The people who were uninformed enough to put Obama into office twice, would do the same thing for her. Even if she passed on the 7th of November. They would still elect her. Then....it would be JOE BIDEN'S turn to take the office, because the same people would feel sorry for him, after he lost his son.

Either way. WE'RE SCREWED. No kidding. Everything that has happened, and will happen before the election was PRE-PLANNED.

Mark my words, or ignore them. The DEMS still don't see anything Hillary did...as WRONG.

Perianne
09-12-2016, 08:51 PM
Call me crazy if you must. But I have had a lousy feeling for a long, long time, that all of this DRAMA was planned for, long, long ago.
If Hillary was to drop out (which I doubt). There would be such an outcry of TEARS, and FEELING SORRY for her....The people who were uninformed enough to put Obama into office twice, would do the same thing for her. Even if she passed on the 7th of November. They would still elect her. Then....it would be JOE BIDEN'S turn to take the office, because the same people would feel sorry for him, after he lost his son.

Either way. WE'RE SCREWED. No kidding. Everything that has happened, and will happen before the election was PRE-PLANNED.

Mark my words, or ignore them. The DEMS still don't see anything Hillary did...as WRONG.

Prepare, for it is coming.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9350&stc=1