PDA

View Full Version : Trump's Foreign Policy Will Be Proven Right

jimnyc
09-15-2016, 02:37 PM
Many of Donald Trump’s comments on foreign relations have left experts and former policymakers scratching their heads, and, in some cases, hostile to his candidacy for president.

Case in point are the 50 former foreign policy officials from Republican administrations who last month announced they wouldn’t vote for Trump because he has “demonstrated repeatedly that he has little understanding of America’s vital national interests.”

Their position is not surprising. Trump’s perspective on foreign policy sees a continuing decline of American power and influence in the world. Most foreign policy experts don’t question the United States’ dominant role on the world stage. America has been a superpower for as long as they can remember -- to think otherwise is almost heresy.

But basic economic statistics tell a different story.

In a period of about 15 years, America’s share of global manufacturing has dropped from 28 percent to roughly 17 percent. The trade deficit has increased 38 percent over the same time period -- from $360 billion to $500 billion. Meanwhile, average economic growth has slowed from over 3 percent to a meager 2 percent, and the federal debt has skyrocketed to an unsustainable 100 percent of gross domestic product.

In Trump’s assessment, America’s power flows directly from its economic strength. The ability of the United States to influence other nations is a result of the competitive advantage held by its industries.

Therefore, growth in the trade deficit is a clear indicator of American decline, especially when Chinese exports are increasing. The manufacturing and technology sectors are incredibly important industries to U.S. power and prestige in Trump’s view. Regaining America’s place as a heavy manufacturing leader is paramount for Trump. Renegotiating trade deals or effectively enforcing them to protect American competitiveness is necessary to reversing the relative decline of U.S. industry and the leakage of jobs overseas. Perhaps more important are Trump’s calls for the reform of a burdensome bureaucratic federal state that cost the economy more than $2 trillion in 2012, according to a study commissioned by the National Association of Manufacturers. Trump also wants to see the reform of our antiquated tax system, which automatically puts American companies at a competitive disadvantage.

Rest here - http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2016/09/15/donald_trump_foreign_policy_right_economy_112046.h tml

fj1200
09-15-2016, 05:18 PM
Protectionism is not a good option going forward, the Great Depression should have cured us of that idea. The share of manufacturing declining doesn't mean that the US has reduced its output. And I don't think the trade deficit really correlates to global decline. We do have a crappy corporate policy though but even with that we still lead the world in manufacturing, we just do it with fewer people.

Drummond
09-15-2016, 06:06 PM
Many of Donald Trump’s comments on foreign relations have left experts and former policymakers scratching their heads, and, in some cases, hostile to his candidacy for president.

Case in point are the 50 former foreign policy officials from Republican administrations who last month announced they wouldn’t vote for Trump because he has “demonstrated repeatedly that he has little understanding of America’s vital national interests.”

Their position is not surprising. Trump’s perspective on foreign policy sees a continuing decline of American power and influence in the world. Most foreign policy experts don’t question the United States’ dominant role on the world stage. America has been a superpower for as long as they can remember -- to think otherwise is almost heresy.

But basic economic statistics tell a different story.

In a period of about 15 years, America’s share of global manufacturing has dropped from 28 percent to roughly 17 percent. The trade deficit has increased 38 percent over the same time period -- from $360 billion to $500 billion. Meanwhile, average economic growth has slowed from over 3 percent to a meager 2 percent, and the federal debt has skyrocketed to an unsustainable 100 percent of gross domestic product.

In Trump’s assessment, America’s power flows directly from its economic strength. The ability of the United States to influence other nations is a result of the competitive advantage held by its industries.

Therefore, growth in the trade deficit is a clear indicator of American decline, especially when Chinese exports are increasing. The manufacturing and technology sectors are incredibly important industries to U.S. power and prestige in Trump’s view. Regaining America’s place as a heavy manufacturing leader is paramount for Trump. Renegotiating trade deals or effectively enforcing them to protect American competitiveness is necessary to reversing the relative decline of U.S. industry and the leakage of jobs overseas. Perhaps more important are Trump’s calls for the reform of a burdensome bureaucratic federal state that cost the economy more than $2 trillion in 2012, according to a study commissioned by the National Association of Manufacturers. Trump also wants to see the reform of our antiquated tax system, which automatically puts American companies at a competitive disadvantage.

Rest here - http://www.realclearworld.com/articles/2016/09/15/donald_trump_foreign_policy_right_economy_112046.h tml

I can only say to this that the world needs an America that becomes as strong a power as it's possible to be. I fully trust Trump to be completely committed to that goal. If I were American, I'd be 110% behind him.

Elessar
09-15-2016, 08:11 PM
I can only say to this that the world needs an America that becomes as strong a power as it's possible to be. I fully trust Trump to be completely committed to that goal. If I were American, I'd be 110% behind him.

I am admittedly not that good on economics but recall how piss-poor (reading history) how the 1930's were.
We've got the structure and we have the people. I think that is his message.

Get the jobs and industry back here. In the 1940's our industrial ability helped both the
Brits and Russians from the Nazi's....helped France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, all
rebuild. Helped the Chinese push back Imperial Japan....

We can do it, just get those jobs and factories back.
Liberal thinking prevents all of that now.

Drummond
09-16-2016, 07:47 AM
I am admittedly not that good on economics but recall how piss-poor (reading history) how the 1930's were.

Get the jobs and industry back here. In the 1940's our industrial ability helped both the
Brits and Russians from the Nazi's....helped France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, all

Liberal thinking prevents all of that now.:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

fj1200
09-16-2016, 09:48 AM

Liberal thinking prevents all of that now.

In the 30's we had the structure and we had the people yet we also instituted a protectionist policy which destroyed all of that.

In 1930 a large majority of economists believed the Smoot-Hawley Tariff Act would exacerbate the U.S. recession into a worldwide depression. On May 5 of that year 1,028 members of the American Economic Association released a signed statement that vigorously opposed the act. The protest included five basic points. First, the tariff would raise the cost of living by “compelling the consumer to subsidize waste and inefficiency in [domestic] industry.” Second, the farm sector would not be helped since “cotton, pork, lard, and wheat are export crops and sold in the world market” and the price of farm equipment would rise. Third, “our export trade in general would suffer. Countries cannot buy from us unless they are permitted to sell to us.” Fourth, the tariff would “inevitably provoke other countries to pay us back in kind against our goods.” Finally, Americans with investments abroad would suffer since the tariff would make it “more difficult for their foreign debtors to pay them interest due them.” Likewise most of the empirical discussions of the downturn in world economic activity taking place in 1929–1933 put Smoot-Hawley at or near center stage.
https://fee.org/articles/the-smoot-hawley-tariff-and-the-great-depression/#0

We don't lead the world by retreating from it.