PDA

View Full Version : Just found out last night...Wide Receiver, Running Back and Bengals Stadium!

Trinity
07-26-2007, 08:24 AM
My 8 almost 9 year old is going to be the wide receiver for his football team :dance:

Funny thing was when he came over during practice last night and I asked him what position he was going to be playing he said wide receiver like it was a bad thing....I was like what! ....I said come on jess think about this you will be the one running the ball and scoring touchdowns. :poke:

My 11 year old will be playing Running Back for his team at the Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals Stadium) the first weekend of August he is so excited!.....(Hint Hint Krissy! You know William would be thrilled if you came to watch him play!)

jimnyc
07-26-2007, 09:56 AM
Congrats! Sounds like and awesome opportunity and a lifetime experience for the kids. I'd give up a limb to get to play at Heinz Field, even if just for one day!

When I was playing at that age, most of our games, scrimmages and practices were held at makeshift fields at the local park. Every now and again we got to play some playoff games at the High School field, and even that was awesome for me at that age! I was QB and fast as lightning, so I would forever hog the ball and run for TD's! Too bad I never grew and was considered "too short" to continue on that path, even though I had a better arm than the other punks. The guys I beat out ended up being the local HS heroes years later. I was always told the only reason I had such a strong and accurate arm was from all the practice I had in the offseason throwing rocks and snowballs at cars! :laugh2:

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 10:22 AM
Congrats! Sounds like and awesome opportunity and a lifetime experience for the kids. I'd give up a limb to get to play at Heinz Field, even if just for one day!

When I was playing at that age, most of our games, scrimmages and practices were held at makeshift fields at the local park. Every now and again we got to play some playoff games at the High School field, and even that was awesome for me at that age! I was QB and fast as lightning, so I would forever hog the ball and run for TD's! Too bad I never grew and was considered "too short" to continue on that path, even though I had a better arm than the other punks. The guys I beat out ended up being the local HS heroes years later. I was always told the only reason I had such a strong and accurate arm was from all the practice I had in the offseason throwing rocks and snowballs at cars! :laugh2:

You playing football? :laugh2: What would you be? A cheerleader? :laugh2:

jimnyc
07-26-2007, 10:36 AM
You playing football? :laugh2: What would you be? A cheerleader? :laugh2:

I'm not sure how old you are, nor do I truly care. But I'll say this, even at 39 I'll run circles around you on a football field. I'll guarantee I can still toss the ball 40-50 yards minimum, and with a damn good degree of accuracy. I played wide receiver as well as I was the fastest in town and have great hands. My beer infested belly would probably slow me down to average about now but I'll still catch pretty good. We played both sides of the ball, and due to my size, and speed, I was always a safety or cornerback. Love the INT, and this 180lb slob learned to hit like Jack Lambert and Ronnie Lott! Nothing better than making someone pay for daring to have the ball over the middle.

My calling in life was sports but my body size didn't cooperate!

With all the smoking I do I'll probably get tired out rather quickly too, so if you're free you are welcome to run out some water to me between plays. :)

Trinity
07-26-2007, 11:03 AM

:laugh2: Yeah my 8 year old has a hell of a throwing arm on him! I have never seen such a beautiful spiral throw as this kid throws for his age. He is quick and fast and so athletically inclined, I believe he will one day play some type of professional sport he excels at everything he has ever played of course this is the same child who started riding a 2 wheel bike without training wheels 8 days after he turned 3.

I don't think size is going to be a problem for him either considering he is 4'9" 83lbs and wears a size 5 1/2 shoe in men's this kid's foot is almost as big as mine and I wear a 7 1/2 to 8 in women's.

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm not sure how old you are, nor do I truly care. But I'll say this, even at 39 I'll run circles around you on a football field. I'll guarantee I can still toss the ball 40-50 yards minimum, and with a damn good degree of accuracy. I played wide receiver as well as I was the fastest in town and have great hands. My beer infested belly would probably slow me down to average about now but I'll still catch pretty good. We played both sides of the ball, and due to my size, and speed, I was always a safety or cornerback. Love the INT, and this 180lb slob learned to hit like Jack Lambert and Ronnie Lott! Nothing better than making someone pay for daring to have the ball over the middle.

My calling in life was sports but my body size didn't cooperate!

With all the smoking I do I'll probably get tired out rather quickly too, so if you're free you are welcome to run out some water to me between plays. :)

Ok, as soon as my back injury is a little better your on, and we will see how good you are on a field :) Although Hockey and Baseball are the sports I used to play, I'm sure you wont be any problem :laugh2:

Oh yea and im not that much younger then you...............

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 11:18 AM
:laugh2: Yeah my 8 year old has a hell of a throwing arm on him! I have never seen such a beautiful spiral throw as this kid throws for his age. He is quick and fast and so athletically inclined, I believe he will one day play some type of professional sport he excels at everything he has ever played of course this is the same child who started riding a 2 wheel bike without training wheels 8 days after he turned 3.

I don't think size is going to be a problem for him either considering he is 4'9" 83lbs and wears a size 5 1/2 shoe in men's this kid's foot is almost as big as mine and I wear a 7 1/2 to 8 in women's.

Is that the one that's going to make you a grandma early on in life? :laugh2:

Trinity
07-26-2007, 01:18 PM
Is that the one that's going to make you a grandma early on in life? :laugh2:

Probably.....

Joan
07-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Got news for you, Jim can also kick your ass on a baseball field. All through little league, he made every all-star team (as the pitcher) and was considered by the coaches to have the fastest and most accurate arm in the league.

As his Mother, I do have some bragging rights!!!

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 01:36 PM
Probably.....

Well shit. That's ok, my daughter told me the otherday that she wanted to have a kid while she was in High School just like her dad. Damnit that floored me and I didn't know what to say. Damn im in trouble I don't know what the hell to do. Do I tell her having a child in High School is a mistake? I can't that would hurt her feeling's. Is it possibly from her being molested by a family friend that she thinks sex is ok? I don't know, but either way you look at it it is my fault. I didn't protect her when I was supposed to, try living with that, it's a hell of a burden.

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 01:37 PM
Got news for you, Jim can also kick your ass on a baseball field. All through little league, he made every all-star team (as the pitcher) and was considered by the coaches to have the fastest and most accurate arm in the league.

Baseball I would crush him, he wouldn't stand a chance. He would get spanked all over the baseball field.

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 01:39 PM

He would have a better chance at Football, if he plpayed me in either Baseball he would be leaving with his tail between his legs.:laugh2:

Trinity
07-26-2007, 03:02 PM
Well shit. That's ok, my daughter told me the otherday that she wanted to have a kid while she was in High School just like her dad. Damnit that floored me and I didn't know what to say. Damn im in trouble I don't know what the hell to do. Do I tell her having a child in High School is a mistake? I can't that would hurt her feeling's. Is it possibly from her being molested by a family friend that she thinks sex is ok? I don't know, but either way you look at it it is my fault. I didn't protect her when I was supposed to, try living with that, it's a hell of a burden.

No your not. Just talk to her and tell her how hard it was, but be honest kid's are not stupid and they know when your pulling their leg. I had my first child right after I turned 16 and all of my kids know this, it is not something I am proud of, nor would I change it, nor is it something I tried to hide from them. I have found with my kid's honesty is best they appreciate it you for it more. I have made numerous mistakes and I try to let my kid's know what those mistakes were so hopefully they will make better choices and avoid making the same ones I did.

Here is am example of something that just happened the other day both of my boy's went to a friends house and the 3 of them went over to this other kid's house. Apparently this other kid got the idea to put sticks in this gas can and light them they were at his house he had the lighter, well my 11 year old and his friend were like no way, my 8 year old who is fascinated with fire was all for it. Needless to say everything turned out ok..

But the thing is is when i went to pick my boy's up they had been back at their friends house for about 30 minutes before I got there. As soon as I arrived my 11 year old came up to me whispering about something Jesse did his friends mom was there he did not want her to hear. I made him tell me in front of her because we both figured something had happened while they were there so he proceeded to tell us about what had happened at this other kid's house. I was very proud of him and told him I was for telling me right away about what happened. I then asked his friend why didn't you let your mom know right away? He said he didn't want to tell her because he was scared and thought he would get in trouble.

This is the reason why I am so adamant about talking to my kid's and having an open relationship with them.

As for you not protecting her and saying it is your fault. I don't buy that you can't protect them from everything that is why you need to talk to her and be honest and open with her discuss everything you can possibly think of. You will find yourself once you get pass the nervousness of it all having some very interesting conversations with your children.

I am always discussing different scenarios with my kid's, situations I think they might end up in either out with their friends, in school, or out by themselves.

The best advice I can give you is to talk, talk, talk to your daughter, don't assume she knows something, ask her?

jimnyc
07-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Baseball I would crush him, he wouldn't stand a chance. He would get spanked all over the baseball field.

He would have a better chance at Football, if he plpayed me in either Baseball he would be leaving with his tail between his legs.:laugh2:

I won't make the testosterone level any worse with someone I've never seen perform before, and has never seen me. I'm quite confident and proud of my athletic 'career' and that's good enough for me. :)

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 03:22 PM
No your not. Just talk to her and tell her how hard it was, but be honest kid's are not stupid and they know when your pulling their leg. I had my first child right after I turned 16 and all of my kids know this, it is not something I am proud of, nor would I change it, nor is it something I tried to hide from them. I have found with my kid's honesty is best they appreciate it you for it more. I have made numerous mistakes and I try to let my kid's know what those mistakes were so hopefully they will make better choices and avoid making the same ones I did.

Here is am example of something that just happened the other day both of my boy's went to a friends house and the 3 of them went over to this other kid's house. Apparently this other kid got the idea to put sticks in this gas can and light them they were at his house he had the lighter, well my 11 year old and his friend were like no way, my 8 year old who is fascinated with fire was all for it. Needless to say everything turned out ok..

But the thing is is when i went to pick my boy's up they had been back at their friends house for about 30 minutes before I got there. As soon as I arrived my 11 year old came up to me whispering about something Jesse did his friends mom was there he did not want her to hear. I made him tell me in front of her because we both figured something had happened while they were there so he proceeded to tell us about what had happened at this other kid's house. I was very proud of him and told him I was for telling me right away about what happened. I then asked his friend why didn't you let your mom know right away? He said he didn't want to tell her because he was scared and thought he would get in trouble.

This is the reason why I am so adamant about talking to my kid's and having an open relationship with them.

As for you not protecting her and saying it is your fault. I don't buy that you can't protect them from everything that is why you need to talk to her and be honest and open with her discuss everything you can possibly think of. You will find yourself once you get pass the nervousness of it all having some very interesting conversations with your children.

I am always discussing different scenarios with my kid's, situations I think they might end up in either out with their friends, in school, or out by themselves.

The best advice I can give you is to talk, talk, talk to your daughter, don't assume she knows something, ask her?

Hmmmm. Well the thing I do have going for he is that sh knows I will kick her little butt across town if she even tries that. But what reall fries my ass is that she is thinking about this kinda thing at ten years old.

krisy
07-26-2007, 10:38 PM
My 8 almost 9 year old is going to be the wide receiver for his football team :dance:

Funny thing was when he came over during practice last night and I asked him what position he was going to be playing he said wide receiver like it was a bad thing....I was like what! ....I said come on jess think about this you will be the one running the ball and scoring touchdowns. :poke:

My 11 year old will be playing Running Back for his team at the Paul Brown Stadium (Bengals Stadium) the first weekend of August he is so excited!.....(Hint Hint Krissy! You know William would be thrilled if you came to watch him play!)

Wow!! The sports celebrity is building in the family! I'll see if we can get there...give me a ring. The kids would love to see the stadium. We are still trying to get to a Reds game. We actually talked Jacob into playing football this year,but it was too late. He is willing to sign up next year tho.

Allen(my big brother's son) is playing baseball at U.C. this weekend in a tournament where there will be many scouts. He is almost 16 and going into the eleventh grade. He is also a left handed pitcher. He plays baseball almost year round. It's a ton of work. His mom and dad went to Tennessee,Columbus,Lexington and everywhere else this year with his summer team. I think there are some major league hopes with him,and his coaches beleive he has some excellent talent. Seems so young. I didn't realise scouts came around so early.

82Marine89
07-26-2007, 10:53 PM
Trinity, congrats on the kids.

Nevada, you sure do talk a lot of smack for a gimp. :slap: Jimmy probably could smoke you (pardon the pun) at these sports. But I've got an offer for you. When your back gets better, come join me in my intramural rugby league. No one on one crap, just bare knuckle, knock down fun.

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 11:19 PM

Nevada, you sure do talk a lot of smack for a gimp. :slap: Jimmy probably could smoke you (pardon the pun) at these sports. But I've got an offer for you. When your back gets better, come join me in my intramural rugby league. No one on one crap, just bare knuckle, knock down fun.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh Rugby, im there.................

Mr. P
07-26-2007, 11:28 PM

That's great! No matter where it leads it will be a pleasant life long memory.

nevadamedic
07-26-2007, 11:45 PM
Being involved in sports at that age is a lot better then many of the alternatives.:salute:

Trinity
07-27-2007, 05:55 AM
Wow!! The sports celebrity is building in the family! I'll see if we can get there...give me a ring. The kids would love to see the stadium. We are still trying to get to a Reds game. We actually talked Jacob into playing football this year,but it was too late. He is willing to sign up next year tho.

Allen(my big brother's son) is playing baseball at U.C. this weekend in a tournament where there will be many scouts. He is almost 16 and going into the eleventh grade. He is also a left handed pitcher. He plays baseball almost year round. It's a ton of work. His mom and dad went to Tennessee,Columbus,Lexington and everywhere else this year with his summer team. I think there are some major league hopes with him,and his coaches beleive he has some excellent talent. Seems so young. I didn't realise scouts came around so early.

hmmm major league baseball player and NFL players in the family that would be sweet!

Yes they do...... however he needs to keep in mind if he decides and gets an offer to play major league he should still go to college because what happens if he gets god forbid a knee injury or something and he can no longer play baseball he needs to have something to fall back on.

That's what I tell both my boy's they are bound and determined they are going to the NFL, I am like thats great but your going to college too!:coffee:

Trinity
07-27-2007, 05:56 AM

Rugby that sounds like fun...... can I watch?

Trinity
07-27-2007, 06:07 AM
Hmmmm. Well the thing I do have going for he is that sh knows I will kick her little butt across town if she even tries that. But what reall fries my ass is that she is thinking about this kinda thing at ten years old.

you know what though seriously my 11 year old loves babies he thinks they are the greatest thing in the world friends come over and they have a baby he is all over that baby playing with it, and wanting to hold it, and feed it, he doesn't do diapers though! :laugh2:

But I recall him saying something along those lines when he was about 10 that he wanted to have a baby and get married when he is like 18. I told him that is a big responsibility and I sat down with him and wrote on a piece of paper the costs of caring for a baby including all the things you would have to buy crib, clothes, diapers, formula, childcare, doctor visits, then I added in rent, utilities, and car payments, insurance which I used my bills that he could actually see, totaled it all up and showed him what the costs was his eyes about bugged out of his head I said this is why you need to go to college and get a good job before you worry about getting married and having a baby. He told me yeah I think I'm going to wait a little while.

Trinity
07-27-2007, 06:08 AM
Being involved in sports at that age is a lot better then many of the alternatives.:salute:

Amen to that!

krisy
07-27-2007, 07:27 PM
hmmm major league baseball player and NFL players in the family that would be sweet!

Yes they do...... however he needs to keep in mind if he decides and gets an offer to play major league he should still go to college because what happens if he gets god forbid a knee injury or something and he can no longer play baseball he needs to have something to fall back on.

That's what I tell both my boy's they are bound and determined they are going to the NFL, I am like thats great but your going to college too!:coffee:

College is a must for Allen. They know that the majors are a stretch for anyone,but college is first. He is an honor roll student and has done very well in school. The minute he doesn't do well in school,the baseball would be cut. I think he would at the very least like to be successful in college ball. He has allready had knee surgery actually,but they don't believe it is something that will affect him anymore.

krisy
07-27-2007, 07:30 PM

Deifnitely. My son plays baseball and we wanted him to play football in the fall this year. Hopefully next year. The busier they saty with sports and or extra curriculars,the less time there is to goof off.

Trinity
07-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Deifnitely. My son plays baseball and we wanted him to play football in the fall this year. Hopefully next year. The busier they saty with sports and or extra curriculars,the less time there is to goof off.

Hopefully he can play next year I think he will enjoy it and have a lot of fun!

This is William's last year playing pee wee football, next year he will be playing for the middle school.