PDA

View Full Version : Trump's Child Care Plans Should Appeal to Women -- And Many More

jimnyc
09-18-2016, 10:57 AM
Trump's Child Care Plans Should Appeal to Women -- And Many More

The media is billing Trump’s childcare and family leave proposals as an attempt to appeal to swing voters – particularly women. Yet this proposal should also attract another group who has been wary of the untested candidate: economic conservatives.

Trump doesn’t resort to trying to woo women by entering the Left’s bidding war of promising more and more taxpayer funding for a favored cause. Rather Trump is offering an alternative – and a decidedly conservative – approach to an important set of public policy issues.

Rather than Hillary Clinton’s predictable promises to increase federal grants to daycare centers, decree that child care workers all must be paid more, and complicated plan to cap how much families spend out of pocket on daycare expenses, Trump offers what many conservatives have long called for: a major expansion of tax deductions for families with children.

While this proposal is mostly being discussed as a tax break for childcare expenses, importantly, these deductions will also be available to families that do not use paid daycare arrangements. As explained on the campaign fact sheet:

Mr. Trump’s plan will ensure stay-at-home parents will receive the same tax deduction as working parents, offering compensation for the job they’re already doing, and allowing them to choose the child care scenario that’s in their best interest.

That’s an important point and one that conservatives should embrace. The government shouldn’t be in the business of using subsidies to encourage more families to put their kids in paid daycare if they think that family care is best. Lots of families – including those with modest incomes – make big financial sacrifices to keep a parent home when kids are young and they deserve a break too.

He uses the model of savings accounts – which have been a conservative favorite for education, retirement, and health care – for additional care expenses. His Dependent Care Savings Accounts would allow people to set aside money tax-free, which could then be used for expenses not only for caring for children , but also for the elderly. This is a positive, market-based approach, which would encourage continued innovation and the efficient use of resources, and an important contrast to the Progressives’ steady push to simply have government become both the payer and provider of all such services.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carrielukas/2016/09/14/trumps-child-care-plans-should-appeal-to-women-and-many-more/#4f23176d1dc0

Kathianne
09-18-2016, 04:16 PM
It's much more generous than Hillary's plan, a new entitlement that also benefits the wealthy. It has built in incentives for working women to turn down offered benefits by employer, since the new plan is better and no cost to those that benefit.

Conservative it is not.

fj1200
09-19-2016, 10:00 AM
Well, when another thread doesn't go your way. :poke:

Trump's Child Care Plans Should Appeal to Women -- And Many More

http://www.forbes.com/sites/carrielukas/2016/09/14/trumps-child-care-plans-should-appeal-to-women-and-many-more/#4f23176d1dc0 (http://www.forbes.com/sites/carrielukas/2016/09/14/trumps-child-care-plans-should-appeal-to-women-and-many-more/#4f23176d1dc0)

She seems to be disagreeing with her own elevator speech:

I debunk the myth that women want and benefit from big government.

It's much more generous than Hillary's plan, a new entitlement that also benefits the wealthy. It has built in incentives for working women to turn down offered benefits by employer, since the new plan is better and no cost to those that benefit.

Conservative it is not.

Not to mention yet another unfunded mandate.

jimnyc
09-19-2016, 10:08 AM

I'm really not in the fucking mood for you. If you don't like how I post, tough fucking shit, move along. But your little fucking snide remarks are getting tiresome. You are a waste of time to bother replying to anymore. all you want to do is play these little games like above and try to piss people off. You replying to a thread hardly means it didn't go my way. All it means is that an asshole replied to a thread I started.

fj1200
09-19-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm really not in the fucking mood for you. If you don't like how I post, tough fucking shit, move along. But your little fucking snide remarks are getting tiresome. You are a waste of time to bother replying to anymore. all you want to do is play these little games like above and try to piss people off. You replying to a thread hardly means it didn't go my way. All it means is that an asshole replied to a thread I started.

Gracious, just some friendly banter. And no, you're incorrect about that. :) DP is serious business yo.

jimnyc
09-19-2016, 02:36 PM

I tried to explain this in another thread when you asked me, but I'll try again. Unlike others, I want to see this place stay together. Not everyone is on here starting new threads trying to get conversation started. Often I will go through a bunch of sites I have bookmarked and look for decent stories to post to hopefully get some convo going. I'm not always going to search the board to find old articles/threads to add to. Sometimes it's just better to start a new thread on a new day.

Perianne
09-19-2016, 02:44 PM
I tried to explain this in another thread when you asked me, but I'll try again. Unlike others, I want to see this place stay together. Not everyone is on here starting new threads trying to get conversation started. Often I will go through a bunch of sites I have bookmarked and look for decent stories to post to hopefully get some convo going. I'm not always going to search the board to find old articles/threads to add to. Sometimes it's just better to start a new thread on a new day.

I have started many new threads. But the best thread ever I will start on November 13th, when the Dallas Cowboys beat the doggie poo out of the Steelers. jimnyc

jimnyc
09-19-2016, 02:48 PM
I have started many new threads. But the best thread ever I will start on November 13th, when the Dallas Cowboys beat the doggie poo out of the Steelers. @jimnyc (http://www.debatepolicy.com/member.php?u=1)

Some folks on the board are thread starters. Some need a little rope and some stories to reply to. I honestly don't mind either way, just glad that folks post. If we're ever worried about multiple threads we can just merge them together, and if it truly bugs someone so much, they can always report a thread with a link to the old one, and I can happily merge them as well.

The Cowboys never beat the Steelers, it's nearly impossible. I'm pretty sure that was when Big Ben was under the weather and their RB had a spinal injury and Antonio Brown had scoliosis. :laugh:

Perianne
09-19-2016, 02:52 PM
The Cowboys never beat the Steelers, it's nearly impossible. I'm pretty sure that was when Big Ben was under the weather and their RB had a spinal injury and Antonio Brown had scoliosis. :laugh:

Jim, you are a stinker!

Dallas Cowboys lead series 16-15-0

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/teamvsteam?opp=9

jimnyc
09-19-2016, 02:55 PM
Jim, you are a stinker!

Dallas Cowboys lead series 16-15-0

http://www.footballdb.com/teams/nfl/pittsburgh-steelers/teamvsteam?opp=9

But the Steelers beat them 2 games to 1 in super bowls, and that's ALL that matters!! :lol:

Perianne
09-19-2016, 03:02 PM
But the Steelers beat them 2 games to 1 in super bowls, and that's ALL that matters!! :lol:

You got me there.

Anyway, you wanna bet on the game?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9364&stc=1

jimnyc
09-19-2016, 03:06 PM
You got me there.

Anyway, you wanna bet on the game?

http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9364&stc=1

Funny, I thought your earlier post was that you HAD made a post on Nov 13th. I didn't even realize we played the 'Boys this year. Hopefully, I won't be in a bad mood watching Hillary having won the election... but you're damn right I'll bet ya!! Of course my Steelers will beat that Homoless team!

Perianne
09-19-2016, 03:09 PM
Funny, I thought your earlier post was that you HAD made a post on Nov 13th. I didn't even realize we played the 'Boys this year. Hopefully, I won't be in a bad mood watching Hillary having won the election... but you're damn right I'll bet ya!! Of course my Steelers will beat that Homoless team!

You didn't realize you will play the Cowboys AND you will want to forget you played the Cowboys.

Another avatar bet? Whoever wins gets to pick the other's avatar for the entire following week?

jimnyc
09-19-2016, 03:52 PM
You didn't realize you will play the Cowboys AND you will want to forget you played the Cowboys.

Another avatar bet? Whoever wins gets to pick the other's avatar for the entire following week?

Fair bet, you're on!!

fj1200
09-20-2016, 09:34 AM

I understand what you're saying. Repetitive threads leads to repetitive comments and repetitive arguments with no depth. I'm all about conversation but I think people will engage in the conversation or they won't. Just my 2 cents.