PDA

View Full Version : Expertise

Perianne
09-20-2016, 11:12 AM
What would you consider yourself an expert at? Or at least very good?

Elessar
09-20-2016, 12:23 PM
What would you consider yourself an expert at? Or at least very good?

Maritime Search and Rescue Planning, Maritime Law Enforcement, Aquatics Training,
Disaster Preparedness.

CSM
09-20-2016, 01:15 PM
Sleeping and eating

and:

planning and conducting joint military experimentation
technical writing
command and control operations (Air Force and Army) processes and procedures
wood carving
reading and understanding almost anything (in English)
keeping my wife happy enough that she doesn't nag the crap out of me daily

crin63
09-20-2016, 04:37 PM
After 24 years of construction, seeing past what is to what it could be or should be. I can see beyond the clutter, equipment, and junk to what I can build or create.

It's a work in progress but, I'm very good at making coffee and working toward expert. I just bought my own roaster to start learning how to roast. I'm having coffee grown in Hawaii for me. The plants were planted about 10 days ago. I just started on my permits to begin selling my cold brew coffee.

Very good at making chili and working toward expert. I plan to make the world finals next year. If I make it to worlds I will claim expert status.

Elessar
09-20-2016, 05:04 PM
Very good at making chili and working toward expert. I plan to make the world finals next year. If I make it to worlds I will claim expert status.

I am not sure if Anyone can be an expert at Chili!:laugh:

jimnyc
09-20-2016, 05:21 PM
Definitely not an expert at anything. :( I'd like to think I'm pretty good at fixing computers, but then I look around and see folks that can run circles around me in every department. I'm just an all around normal no good bastard.

Wait, wait, does asking women to see their boobies count as something one would have expertise at?

Perianne
09-20-2016, 05:31 PM
Definitely not an expert at anything. :( I'd like to think I'm pretty good at fixing computers, but then I look around and see folks that can run circles around me in every department. I'm just an all around normal no good bastard.

Wait, wait, does asking women to see their boobies count as something one would have expertise at?

You're pretty good at doing forums.

jimnyc
09-20-2016, 05:36 PM
You're pretty good at doing forums.

Sweet, I'm an expert forum doer kinda guy! :laugh:

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-20-2016, 07:03 PM
I will not list mine-for if I list them all, people will either say that I am lying or an arrogant braggart.
Long ago, I would have just said, whiskey drinking, women, guns, gambling and fighting.
YET even those broad/general terms are only a partial list.

p.s. And even the women part is listed because of the costly lessons learned that bled me deep into my soul.
I know just enough to be damn wary, kind and give 'ém proper respect when due!!
After all, my mother and sisters are females. --Tyr

CSM
09-20-2016, 08:53 PM
.......Wait, wait, does asking women to see their boobies count as something one would have expertise at?

Only if you get to see them....

gabosaurus
09-24-2016, 04:21 PM

oops... :cool:

sundaydriver
09-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Analytical Chemistry, Microbiology, & dog walking.

SassyLady
09-25-2016, 02:02 AM
Coaching - executive, business and personal.
Management accounting
Project management
Efficiency analyst

NightTrain
09-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Driving / piloting anything. I've always had a knack for feeling exactly what the machine is doing and it almost becomes a part of me, whether it's a Kenworth, sports car, ATV, snowmachine, boat, etc. I regret not going into the Air Force because I would have been a great fighter pilot and that's what I wanted to do since I was about 7.

Hunting, especially knowing where my prey is heading so I can intercept and get the drop on it.

Fishing, there's a knack to it - but my younger brother was better than me or anyone else I've ever seen.

Running rivers - that gets back to the driving thing by making the boat do maneuvers that I can't fully explain because it's instinctual - I know how much angle I need for when the bow scrapes gravel to be properly situated into my turn on a switchback corner and the target is a 6' section of water deep enough for the jet... and this all happens with a groundspeed of about 60 MPH going downriver. It's hard to explain but beautiful and exhilarating. Still, that comes easy - the real hard part is making a decision when I come around a corner and I have a half second to take in the volume of water of 4 different channels and get it right.

Gauging dangerous ice, even with a couple feet of snow over it. There's a certain look to sketchy ice, and that faint, ominous shadow makes my hair stand up as soon as I see it. No one I know can spot it, either... I think that's just from falling through the ice enough to get that knowledge beaten through my thick skull! :laugh:

Professionally, my wiring is beautiful and I take pride in it. I have a reputation for beautiful work, and the best compliment is another Journeyman giving a nod and saying, 'That's pretty.' It takes extra time for that, but I won't do a 'quick & dirty' job - if my name is on the work, it's going to be done the way I think it should be done. Companies hire me for more money than Brand X because my work is done right and it's aesthetically pleasing, every time. There's nothing worse than walking into a comm room and seeing a giant spaghetti monster hanging off a rack full of servers.

darin
09-26-2016, 03:07 AM
Sweet, sweet lovin'.

Otherwise? I have probably no expertise in anything. I'm okay at a few things though.

Bilgerat
09-26-2016, 10:24 AM

I think I can speak for every male here when I say;

Pictures, or it never happened :laugh2: