PDA

View Full Version : Tulsa Oklahoma shooting, man had hands up

jimnyc
09-20-2016, 07:56 PM
I've seen a bunch of videos on this one already. The guy had his hands up, and kept backtracking away from the police back towards his own vehicle. This woman claims that he reached into his vehicle with his left hand, and that's when she shot him.

I dunno, let's assume for a second that there was a gun right there, which there wasn't. There were 4-5 cops standing side by side with her. IMO, they should have tased first with so much backup right there, and not instantly shoot to kill. I'm not comfortable with this shooting. Here's a few videos and the article:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=e900184820a9" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=238ed55861d3" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TULSA, Okla. (AP) -- An attorney for a white Oklahoma police officer who fatally shot an unarmed black man said the man ignored officers' commands, kept touching his pocket and was reaching through a window of his SUV when he was killed.

Tulsa police video shows 40-year-old Terence Crutcher walking away from the officers and toward his SUV Friday with his hands in the air. He then approaches the driver's side of his vehicle, where an officer shocks him with a stun gun and another fatally shoots him.

Officers were called to the scene to respond to a report of a stalled vehicle.

Police Chief Chuck Jordan announced Monday, before the video and audio recordings were released, that Crutcher had no weapon on him or in his SUV when he was shot. It's not clear from the footage what led Betty Shelby, the officer who fired the fatal shot, to draw her gun or what orders officers gave Crutcher.

Shelby's attorney, Scott Wood, said Crutcher was not following the officers' commands and that Shelby was concerned because he kept reaching for his pocket as if he was carrying a weapon.

"He has his hands up and is facing the car and looks at Shelby, and his left hand goes through the car window, and that's when she fired her shot," Wood told the Tulsa World for a story published Tuesday.

Local and federal investigations are underway to determine whether criminal charges are warranted in the shooting or if Crutcher's civil rights were violated.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video-shows-tulsa-man-had-hands-police-shooting-061024866.html

aboutime
09-20-2016, 08:22 PM
Not too sure what actually took place there. But if the man reached into the car, and didn't just listen to what the cops were telling him. HOW LONG DO THEY NEED TO WAIT until they might, or might not become the shooting victim themselves?

We all know. Cops from all over the nation must be super-self-conscious, and worried about all the craziness taking place. So they don't want to become the next cop where thousands come to Mourn at a Funeral of Blue.

Being a police officer today can't be the most popular profession to be in.

It's almost like Obama's ROE's for our military also apply to the cops....if they don't want to be sued, or killed in the line of duty. How many of them are willing to allow the purp's to FIRE FIRST, before they are permitted to defend themselves????

jimnyc
09-20-2016, 08:33 PM
Not too sure what actually took place there. But if the man reached into the car, and didn't just listen to what the cops were telling him. HOW LONG DO THEY NEED TO WAIT until they might, or might not become the shooting victim themselves?

We all know. Cops from all over the nation must be super-self-conscious, and worried about all the craziness taking place. So they don't want to become the next cop where thousands come to Mourn at a Funeral of Blue.

Being a police officer today can't be the most popular profession to be in.

It's almost like Obama's ROE's for our military also apply to the cops....if they don't want to be sued, or killed in the line of duty. How many of them are willing to allow the purp's to FIRE FIRST, before they are permitted to defend themselves????

I hear ya, AT. And I know we don't have everything in yet. I wonder if they have uniform cameras as well? But it just seemed to me, with that many officers on site and feet away, that maybe the taser would have saved a life. But then again, it may have cost the life of an officer.

But from my first view, it looked like they should have tasered him, maybe even before he had a chance to get to a vehicle. No gun was in sight and he had his arms up the entire time prior. I really couldn't get a clear view of that very last second, which is when the shot was fired, and the copter thought he was tasered.

pete311
09-21-2016, 06:39 AM

Some of you will go to almost insane lengths to rationalize and defend any cop behavior.

jimnyc
09-21-2016, 06:55 AM
Some of you will go to almost insane lengths to rationalize and defend any cop behavior.

I think it was a bad shooting at first glance. But that's not insane lengths. If a body cam shows him actually reaching into the vehicle while they have guns drawn on him and telling him to get down and not to do so - then I would say it's a good shooting, even though myself I would have used a taser.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-21-2016, 07:16 AM

The video does not show enough to make a judgment call IMHO.
THE GUY IS ALREADY DOING DANGEROUS STUFF BY REFUSING TO STOP, LAY DOWN AND BE SEARCHED..
COMPOUND THAT WITH HIM REACHING IN THE VEHICLE--HANDS UP OR NOT , THE POSSIBILITY EXISTS THAT HE COULD SWING AROUND WITH A GUN AND START FIRING.

I do not defend cops every time. I have soundly criticized them here many times--but this video does not give/show enough to make a solid determination.
Did they handle it wrong --as far as not preventing him from going back to his vehicle--in my opinion yes.
Was in wrong to fire on him--I do not know.. I am leaning towards in not being wrong because he is reaching for something in the vehicle..-Tyr

jimnyc
09-21-2016, 07:32 AM

Pete, based on my initial viewing, I'm still of the belief that the officer jumped to shoot too quickly. But read the article below, this is why it's hard to jump to conclusions. I don't think it tells us anything 'for sure' in either direction... And I'm NOT defending anything. Just that 1-5 seconds is a long, long time. I wish this guy would have just followed directions, he would be alive right now. :( I have no idea what he may have been reaching for, but it cost him his life. But I STILL don't think he deserved to die for reaching, so save it.

Am I defending her behavior? I don't know yet. I don't think so. Knowing she had 3-4 officers at her side, I DO think she acted too quickly still.

jimnyc
09-21-2016, 07:33 AM
I suck, here's the article:

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/21/us/terence-crutcher-police-shooting-point-counterpoint/index.html

sundaydriver
09-21-2016, 07:42 AM
This started as a call for a stalled car in the road. The guy was an ass for not listening but I saw on CNN this morning blown up pictures of the drivers side door that was closed in the video we all saw and the window was 90% up so the guy was not capable of reaching into the car for anything. I think the Female Officer might have been frightened and fired her weapon. Also reporting that PCP was found in the car.

jimnyc
09-21-2016, 07:44 AM
This started as a call for a stalled car in the road. The guy was an ass for not listening but I saw on CNN this morning blown up pictures of the drivers side door that was closed in the video we all saw and the window was 90% up so the guy was not capable of reaching into the car for anything. I think the Female Officer might have been frightened and fired her weapon. Also reporting that PCP was found in the car.

Now if that's true, that would explain everything. That's one seriously fucked up drug!! I'm surprised he would have been able to somewhat walk properly in reverse if he was high on the dust. :(