PDA

View Full Version : Update on Gunny

jimnyc
09-21-2016, 09:00 AM
I'm very saddened to write this.

Gunny had went into the hospital with a lung infection. Things grew worse and he ultimately had a stroke and at last report was in the intensive care unit. :(

His girlfriend was extremely kind enough to login here and give me an update on his health. I so hope that she will update me should she have the time in the future.

I wanted to update here as I know he has some friends here. And he has an extreme amount of respect for his fellow veterans that post or have posted here over the years.

Please say some prayers and let's hope for a swift recovery, and get Gunny back in here to set some folks straight. :)

Perianne
09-21-2016, 09:03 AM
I'm very saddened to write this.

Gunny had went into the hospital with a lung infection. Things grew worse and he ultimately had a stroke and at last report was in the intensive care unit. :(

His girlfriend was extremely kind enough to login here and give me an update on his health. I so hope that she will update me should she have the time in the future.

I wanted to update here as I know he has some friends here. And he has an extreme amount of respect for his fellow veterans that post or have posted here over the years.

Please say some prayers and let's hope for a swift recovery, and get Gunny back in here to set some folks straight. :)

The severity of a stroke can be anything from mild to devastating. Let us hope for mild and that he recovers soon.

Noir
09-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Well that sucks ): but if I were to put money on anybody fighting through a problem it'd be him.

jimnyc
09-21-2016, 09:06 AM
The severity of a stroke can be anything from mild to devastating. Let us hope for mild and that he recovers soon.

I'm FAR from someone who knows anything at all about medical issues. But after hearing this I've done a ton of reading about both issues, and how they may act together, and really learned nothing. But I did learn what you said, that there's a huge array of range when it comes to strokes. Let's also pray that his was on the lowest end possible. I honestly have no idea. :(

Bilgerat
09-21-2016, 10:13 AM
If anyone can, he'll make it

That Grunt don't know when to quit!

Said1
09-21-2016, 10:24 AM
Wow, that is so terribly sad. So sad in situations where you don't really have a direct way of communicating.

sundaydriver
09-21-2016, 10:27 AM
Poor guy, hope he's gonna be okay. Time to get that knee fixed and start walking those dogs.

Elessar
09-21-2016, 10:31 AM
He's got my hopes and prayers.

Mom has been through a series of mini-strokes off and on for a year.

Thanks for the Update, Jim.

CSM
09-21-2016, 10:56 AM
Dammit!!!!

NightTrain
09-21-2016, 01:05 PM
If anyone can pull through a dicey situation, it's the Gunny.

Anyone have info to find out what hospital he's in to send a big teddy bear to?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-21-2016, 02:15 PM
VERY SORRY TO HEAR OF THIS BAD SITUATION WITH GUNNY.
I GATHER HE IS TOUGH AS NAILS AND PRAY THAT HELPS HIM RECOVER FAST AND
RETURN TO POST HERE.
HAVING HAD MY HEART SURGERY BACK IN 2009, I CAN UNDERSTAND SOME OF WHAT HE MAY BE GOING THROUGH NOW.

I was very lucky to recover and do quite well after my leap into the abyss.
I pray that gunny may have that same luck...

I had worried that it may be a serious health issue.
Now sad, to find out that is the case..

Prayers for his fast healing and great recovery.. -Tyr

hjmick
09-21-2016, 02:37 PM
Ah shit...

Perianne
09-21-2016, 04:51 PM
Maybe everyone knows what a stroke is, but if not, I will explain.

A stroke (which we call a cerebrovascular accident, or CVA) is an infarction of the brain. Infarction means tissue death due to a lack of oxygen. There are two means by which a stroke can occur:

1. A blockage (due to a blood clot) of blood flow;

2. A rupture or breakage of an artery or other blood vessel in the brain. Similar to how if you cut a water hose, the amount of water flowing to the end is decreased or stopped altogether.

The area of the brain which suffers a lack of blood flow (and thus oxygen) determines what part of the body is affected. There is practically an infinite of possible outcomes from a stroke. Most of us think of severe debilitation from a stroke, but most are not. If caught early, the effects of a stroke can be greatly minimized.

Mini-strokes, also known as Transient Ischemic Attacks, or TIAs, are temporary strokes. That is, temporary blockage of blood flow to of the brain. These are warning signs and should NOT be ignored.

By the way, a stroke happens in the brain. A heart attack (myocardial infarction) is the same process, except it happens in the heart.

Drummond
09-21-2016, 06:27 PM
There's nothing I can say that hasn't already been said.

Gunny has earned my considerable respect. He's a good man. I very much hope he pulls through.

Elessar
09-21-2016, 06:31 PM
Maybe everyone knows what a stroke is, but if not, I will explain.

Mini-strokes, also known as Transient Ischemic Attacks, or TIAs, are temporary strokes. That is, temporary blockage of blood flow to of the brain. These are warning signs and should NOT be ignored.

Snipped for brevity.

Above is how Mom's were described. I think if she had not had surgery to repair her aorta (value replacement)
I would be adding flowers to Step-Dad's grave.

aboutime
09-21-2016, 07:21 PM
For Gunny. Whether you like it or not MARINE. People you will never meet, or know, ARE PRAYING FOR YOU. "REMEMBER: MARINES ARE NOT ALLOWED TO GO AWAY, OR DIE. ONLY GOD DECIDES WHEN THAT WILL HAPPEN WITH GOD'S PERMISSION! GOD BLESS, and SEMPER FI...Jarhead!

http://youtu.be/YwjHhJdhY0I

crin63
09-21-2016, 09:48 PM
I'm praying for him.

Black Diamond
09-23-2016, 10:06 PM
Yikes. This is horrible. Praying for a miracle.

Black Diamond
09-24-2016, 06:44 AM
Yikes. This is horrible. Praying for a miracle.

This dude's wife at my church had a stroke and afterwards had no aftereffects at all. Doctors couldn't explain why. That's what I want here.

NightTrain
09-24-2016, 07:07 AM
I was hoping that someone would have a way to find out where he is so we can assist... even if it is just sending something to let him know we're thinking of him.

Having friends urging you on is a powerful thing.

crin63
09-24-2016, 08:19 AM
I was hoping that someone would have a way to find out where he is so we can assist... even if it is just sending something to let him know we're thinking of him.

Having friends urging you on is a powerful thing.

Agreed!

SassyLady
09-25-2016, 02:07 AM
Really sad news .... hang in there Gunny. Praying for speedy recovery.

jimnyc
09-27-2016, 08:29 AM
The Marine kicked some serious ass and beat life support and got himself out of the ICU. The stroke was a 'mild' stroke. Thus far it seems that was affected was his vision slightly.

What do I think? I think he had a stroke and was placed in the ICU unit, likely under heavy sedation. Tons and tons of prayers came in for him. Gunny did what was natural to him and started kicking some ass and chewing some bubble gum.

That's not to say that he has an easy road ahead of him, as a stroke and then some rehab is no fun. :( But hopefully what he has done in the past week will continue, and he'll make short time of all of this. What matters most is his health, and then of course getting him back on here posting with us!! What he has done in the past week or so is nothing short of amazing!!

I was told that he is bored in the hospital, and it might be good for me to reach out today, which of course I will!! As I know more later, I will post here!

jimnyc
09-27-2016, 08:40 AM
Gunny will be in the hospital for at least another week, for antibiotics via IV. Hopefully it will be all positive from there on out.

CSM
09-27-2016, 09:44 AM
Gunny will be in the hospital for at least another week, for antibiotics via IV. Hopefully it will be all positive from there on out.

Thanks for the updates!!

Black Diamond
09-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Prayer is powerful

Little-Acorn
09-27-2016, 10:37 AM
The Marine kicked some serious ass and beat life support and got himself out of the ICU. The stroke was a 'mild' stroke. Thus far it seems that was affected was his vision slightly.

What do I think? I think he had a stroke and was placed in the ICU unit, likely under heavy sedation. Tons and tons of prayers came in for him. Gunny did what was natural to him and started kicking some ass and chewing some bubble gum.

That's not to say that he has an easy road ahead of him, as a stroke and then some rehab is no fun. :( But hopefully what he has done in the past week will continue, and he'll make short time of all of this. What matters most is his health, and then of course getting him back on here posting with us!! What he has done in the past week or so is nothing short of amazing!!

I was told that he is bored in the hospital, and it might be good for me to reach out today, which of course I will!! As I know more later, I will post here!

EXCELLENT news, considering.

Thanks, Jimnyc!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-03-2016, 07:50 AM
Looking for good news on gunny.
Having went through my heart episode, back in 2009, I can tell you its a scary ride..
Not knowing if you will wake up the next morning and thinking what will happen to my son( Justin was only 3 years old) with me not there to raise and protect him..?
Only positive in Gunny's case I see is that he is a "tough as nails Marine" and that carries a lot of weight into his recovery battle.

I do not want to intrude on his privacy but I would gladly send him a message of my great hope for his full recovery..-Tyr

jimnyc
10-03-2016, 12:52 PM
I just spoke to Gunny a short while ago, finally!! He's still in the hospital in New Mexico, but sounds great. He was complaining, which was a great sign. He said he should only be there for a few more days. Things aren't great for him obviously, but is doing much better than originally thought. He laughingly said he will likely have to get some glasses when all is said an done. It was great that he actually answered the phone this time around! I'm going to talk with him again later today and hopefully get some more more information out of him, But I also don't want to nag the guy while he sits up in a hospital as well. Perhaps he likes hearing from people? He hates his telephone, that much I found out!! And I don't think he's fond of his computer either, so he may look for an upgrade when feeling better.

CSM
10-03-2016, 01:20 PM
I just spoke to Gunny a short while ago, finally!! He's still in the hospital in New Mexico, but sounds great. He was complaining, which was a great sign. He said he should only be there for a few more days. Things aren't great for him obviously, but is doing much better than originally thought. He laughingly said he will likely have to get some glasses when all is said an done. It was great that he actually answered the phone this time around! I'm going to talk with him again later today and hopefully get some more more information out of him, But I also don't want to nag the guy while he sits up in a hospital as well. Perhaps he likes hearing from people? He hates his telephone, that much I found out!! And I don't think he's fond of his computer either, so he may look for an upgrade when feeling better.

Great news!

Little-Acorn
10-03-2016, 02:26 PM
i just spoke to gunny a short while ago, finally!! He's still in the hospital in new mexico, but sounds great. He was complaining, which was a great sign. He said he should only be there for a few more days. Things aren't great for him obviously, but is doing much better than originally thought. He laughingly said he will likely have to get some glasses when all is said an done. It was great that he actually answered the phone this time around! I'm going to talk with him again later today and hopefully get some more more information out of him, but i also don't want to nag the guy while he sits up in a hospital as well. Perhaps he likes hearing from people? He hates his telephone, that much i found out!! And i don't think he's fond of his computer either, so he may look for an upgrade when feeling better.

excellent.

Elessar
10-03-2016, 03:52 PM

GREAT, Jim.

Tell him I am ready to pick on him when he gets back!:salute:

jimnyc
10-03-2016, 03:54 PM
I know we aren't exactly a Google sized board here, but it's cool to see folks here showing the concern for one of our own. I made sure Gunny was aware of this when we spoke. :saluting2:

Kathianne
10-03-2016, 05:05 PM
I'm sure everyone would like to send a card or something, but we wouldn't want his addy all over. :( No phone, no computer. Any ideas?

Perianne
10-03-2016, 06:36 PM
Pixiestix has been very ill, too.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?56624-Get-your-Shingles-Vaccination

Russ
10-03-2016, 07:25 PM
Great news, that Gunny is doing better, and we will say some prayers for him, and for PixieStix too.

jimnyc
10-14-2016, 10:37 AM
Gunny is back!! He is doing better!! Healthy enough to stay on the phone, and was online reading here at length last night and this morning. I don't want to write too much, let him do so when he ever finds this thread! He''ll be back later he said.

And he said he doesn't like sentimental people and stuff, so go back to making believe we all hate him!

FU Gunny and welcome back!! :upyours::finger3:

Elessar
10-14-2016, 10:44 AM
Welcome Back Gunny - you hard-head Jar-Head!:laugh:

sundaydriver
10-14-2016, 11:02 AM
Great news and I'm sure being home feels good. Now Jim, please help his recovery by banning him for a month until the election is over and this place gets back to normal to keep his blood pressure down. :cool:

Bilgerat
10-14-2016, 11:22 AM
Great news and I'm sure being home feels good. Now Jim, please help his recovery by banning him for a month until the election is over and this place gets back to normal to keep his blood pressure down. :cool:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

NightTrain
10-14-2016, 11:50 AM
Attaboy, Gunny! Welcome back man.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
10-14-2016, 12:17 PM
Welcome back, just do as the doctor(s) orders to speed your recovery.
And perhaps bad as it is, consider maintaining a healthy diet-- that is my daily routine since back in March of 2009..

Do you know why Marines do not eat pickles??

Can not get their heads in the jars..... :laugh:

Laughter- ' tis da best medicine....

Welcome back. :beer: :salute: :beer: Tyr

jimnyc
10-14-2016, 01:43 PM
Goofing aside, fighting over the years aside, difference on political issues aside & overlooking the gay sentimental crap. For a moment I thought I was creating a new ribbon up top. I'm glad I don't have to. Seeing Gunny back is the best news in a while and puts political differences in perspective. Good to see you back, buddy. :)

CSM
10-14-2016, 01:46 PM
Goofing aside, fighting over the years aside, difference on political issues aside & overlooking the gay sentimental crap. For a moment I thought I was creating a new ribbon up top. I'm glad I don't have to. Seeing Gunny back is the best news in a while and puts political differences in perspective. Good to see you back, buddy. :)

I was thinking the same about the black ribbon thing.

Elessar
10-14-2016, 02:19 PM

I am still new compared to a lot of folks,
but I was praying the ribbon would not have to happen.

Kathianne
10-14-2016, 02:31 PM
I bet Gunny is glad too! :laugh2:

SassyLady
10-14-2016, 03:15 PM

This made me pretty emotional .... I was so worried I was going to see another ribbon every time I logged on. Very happy to hear that hard ass attitude of his is going to still be around for awhile.

Gunny ... take care of yourself ... can't handle another ribbon up there.

Abbey Marie
10-14-2016, 06:58 PM
Too bad Gunny- we all care about you, and there isn't a single thing you can do about it!

:coffee:

aboutime
10-14-2016, 07:05 PM
SEMPER FI Gunny. You JARHEAD. It's been too quiet around here. And Yes. Even us Old Squids respect the GLOBE & ANCHOR.http://icansayit.com/images/marineglobe.jpg No more CORPSMEN visits for you. STAY HEALTHY.

Gunny
10-15-2016, 11:39 AM
I can go anywhere with this when I learn to type again. :laugh: I sincerely thank all the well-wishers. I'can't say it's been fun, but asome of y'all just don't get my sense of humor. I've had a blast at times at my own expense. I've done spme goofy crap. I thought Regan was President and it was 1986 for a few days when I woke up. :laugh:

Kathianne
10-15-2016, 11:43 AM
I can go anywhere with this when I learn to type again. :laugh: I sincerely thank all the well-wishers. I'can't say it's been fun, but asome of y'all just don't get my sense of humor. I've had a blast at times at my own expense. I've done spme goofy crap. I thought Regan was President and it was 1986 for a few days when I woke up. :laugh:
:laugh2:

When my mom had her first stroke, she was convinced that my ex had committed the Oklahoma City bombing. He was a jerk, but Timothy McVeigh he was not. (It was on the tv when she awoke, she blamed him.)

Elessar
10-15-2016, 11:45 AM

Wicked sense of humor!
Not laughing at you but laughing with you.
Good to see you.:beer:

Gunny
10-15-2016, 12:09 PM
:laugh2:

When my mom had her first stroke, she was convinced that my ex had committed the Oklahoma City bombing. He was a jerk, but Timothy McVeigh he was not. (It was on the tv when she awoke, she blamed him.)Here's a shocker for you ... I knew my rank and last name but didn't know my actual names for 2 days. And they ask you that crap every day. "Do you know where you are? Do you know what day it is?"Yeah. It's today and I'me in your uncomcortable ass bed with needles sticking out of every place you could poke me.

Gunny
10-15-2016, 12:13 PM
Wicked sense of humor!
Not laughing at you but laughing with you.
Good to see you.:beer:
Didn"t REALLY think I was going anywhere did ya?

SassyLady
10-15-2016, 12:38 PM

I have that same problem sometimes ... wishful thinking.

Glad you're better and sincerely hope you take better care of yourself. :beer:

Gunny
10-15-2016, 01:17 PM

I am still new compared to a lot of folks,
but I was praying the ribbon would not have to happen.

This made me pretty emotional .... I was so worried I was going to see another ribbon every time I logged on. Very happy to hear that hard ass attitude of his is going to still be around for awhile.

Gunny ... take care of yourself ... can't handle another ribbon up there.

Too bad Gunny- we all care about you, and there isn't a single thing you can do about it!

:coffee:
Y'all act like I was going somewhere. Already planning my wake. If and when I die, y'all have a drink on me.

Abbey Marie
10-15-2016, 01:25 PM
Y'all act like I was going somewhere. Already planning my wake. If and when I die, y'all have a drink on me.

As if. You are too stubborn to die. :laugh2:

Gunny
10-15-2016, 02:12 PM
As if. You are too stubborn to die. :laugh2:Ain't the first time I've heard THAT the past couple of months. The Chief Surgeon told she wouldn't have given a nickel for me when she first saw me. First day off life support I get this parade of Drs in ICU just staring at me. I apparently wasn't well behaved when I got there, The surgeon was the only person I recognized until I saw my daughter. THAT was weird.

Russ
10-16-2016, 05:03 PM
Welcome back, Gunny!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

[Note the abundant use of exclamation points, a clear indication of exuberance and sincerity!!!] :clap::salute:

revelarts
10-16-2016, 05:13 PM
welcome Back Gunny. welcome back

gabosaurus
10-17-2016, 08:45 PM
I hereby dedicate this coffee mug to Gunny:

https://cdn.boldomatic.com/content/productmockup?mockup=B-TPAC-MUG-N-m1&key=post-pdfs/gD8uAA-29656c50d862e52c1e0184edcdff8c1ebf1252a719910df85d 05cfa0b8a93a9b.pdf&width=800&format=jpg&quality=95&design=original&color=white&size=standard[