PDA

View Full Version : Does someone lose tonight? Or win?

jimnyc
09-26-2016, 02:55 PM
I think either one should strive for "mistake free", but I don't see that happening. They say there are a LOT of undecideds that will ultimately make up their minds based on the debates, not sure how much of that pans out. Both of these candidates will be trying to point out just how bad the other is, which will then open the other up to hit them in return. Or will this debate magically turn into an adult discussion of sorts?

It's also this debate sees more than the super bowl, with perhaps 100 million tuning in!

-----

Frenzy builds for epic debate

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. — Buckle up: Debate day is finally here.

The anticipation for Monday night’s face-off between Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton has reached a fever pitch, with many expecting a defining moment in one of the wildest elections of modern times.

Trump needs a big win on Monday if he is to get on a path to the White House, with polls showing a narrow but meaningful lead for Clinton.
But Clinton’s edge could be gone in an instant if Trump puts in a strong performance in the first debate or if she makes a disastrous misstep. Conversely, Trump’s chances of victory could plummet if he fails to convince voters he’s presidential material.

The clash, which will be held at Hofstra University in this Long Island town just outside New York City, is expected to draw the largest TV audience of any presidential debate in history.

The record is currently 80.6 million viewers, which was reached during a debate in 1980 between President Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan. Speculation is rife that the Clinton-Trump clash could draw a U.S. audience of 100 million or more.

The anticipation was tangible Sunday, with cable news networks already broadcasting from the site, a cavernous media center filling with hordes of reporters from the U.S. and beyond and tight security.

The debate takes place against a backdrop of racial tension, with police killings of black men in Tulsa, Okla., and Charlotte, N.C., sparking protests in recent days.

Clinton had planned to visit Charlotte on the eve of the debate but later canceled the trip, with her campaign citing a desire not to stretch the city's resources. Trump took to Twitter to accuse her of "bad judgement" in the episode.

Beyond that issue, the debate is likely to take in conventional subjects such as jobs, the economy and national security — the final topic an especially pertinent one in the wake of the bombings in New Jersey and New York.

The themes of the debate, selected by moderator Lester Holt of NBC News, will be “America’s Direction,” “Achieving Prosperity” and “Securing America.”

For the candidates, however, the real goal will be damaging the opponent while avoiding disaster during the 90 minutes at the podium.

http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/297716-debate-day-dawns-with-big-expectations-for-clinton-trump

jimnyc
09-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Pat Caddell: Donald Trump Wins Debate If He Shows Voters He’s ‘Plausible’ Option

Veteran pollster Pat Caddell told SiriusXM host Alex Marlow on Monday’s Breitbart News Daily that Hillary Clinton’s health remains a major issue with voters.

“If you look at the questions about her health–you know, we have a Breitbart/Gravis poll–we had asked that question in our national survey this weekend.” He added, “The Fox polling showed on that question, in late August, that 21 percent of the people had concerns about her health. Well, it’s now over 40 percent,” Caddell revealed.

He said:

That’s still a lingering and lurking element here, and it really puts a lot of pressure, I’ve been saying, for her in this debate. People are so sensitive to it, and it may not be fair, but if she has moments like that, it could affect the audience and how they feel about her because of their own doubts on that question. So it could be a problem.

By “moments like that,” Caddell was referring to a much-discussed video of Clinton appearing to lose control of her voice, shouting angrily that she should be “50 points ahead” instead of locked in a dead heat with Donald Trump.

http://www.breitbart.com/radio/2016/09/26/pat-caddell-trump-wins-debate-if-shows-voters-hes-plausible/

hjmick
09-26-2016, 03:07 PM
I think the American public loses...

I am curious to see if the broadcasters use the old Hollywood trick of "forced perspective" to make Hilliary appear to be the same height as Dump. I mean they did build a miniaturized podium for the old grey mare...

17 Forced Perspective Technique Examples (http://digital-photography-school.com/forced-perspective/)

jimnyc
09-26-2016, 03:17 PM
I'll have to look for the article when I get back from the train station - buy she is using a different podium, and maybe even a hunk of wood it appears, to try and make things "equal".

jimnyc
09-26-2016, 04:07 PM
I'll have to look for the article when I get back from the train station - buy she is using a different podium, and maybe even a hunk of wood it appears, to try and make things "equal".

Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton will have podiums of different sizes during their first presidential debate on Monday as new opinion polls put the bitter rivals neck and neck.

The two nominees will debate for 90 minutes straight on Monday starting at 9pm ET, with no commercial break. The event will take place at Hofstra University in Hempstead, New York, with NBC News' Lester Holt as a moderator.

Reports previously claimed that Clinton's campaign had requested a custom-made podium to make up for the difference in height between the two nominees.

Clinton is 5'4" and Trump is 6'2". Her campaign first asked that she debate on a step-stool so as not to appear smaller than Trump, according to The Drudge Report.

Here's a photo from the backside:

https://i.imgur.com/5ivgZGp.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3806974/Presidential-debate-preparations-reach-final-stage-Hillary-Clinton-Donald-Trump-meet-Benjamin-Netanyahu.html

jimnyc
09-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Yikes! Seems they both better be bringing their A games tonight!

-----

Poll: Half of Voters Relying on Presidential Debates to Decide

Half of voters are relying on the presidential debates to decide between Democrat Hillary Clinton and Republican Donald Trump in the Nov. 8 election, according to a new Reuters/Ipsos poll released Monday.

The results:

50 percent say the debates will help them decide;
39 percent say the debates would not help;
11 percent say they don't know how the debates will affect them.

A majority of voters —72 percent — want the debate's moderators to call out the candidates when they say something that is not true. That goes for supporters of both candidates: 72 percent of Trump's supporters; 82 percent of voters who support Clinton.

Rest here - http://www.newsmax.com/Headline/Poll-Half-Voters-Debates/2016/09/26/id/750154/

jimnyc
09-26-2016, 04:55 PM
I am curious though, why alter things to begin with? Do they think the American people are really that stupid? (well, maybe some better not answer that) Is there REALLY that big of a deal because there is a height difference? And if so, why not leave it as is? Do people think she will magically stay that height after the debate? Everything is about tricking the public or lying to the public.

I hope she has a coughing fit and then falls off of her little raised area.

https://i.imgur.com/5ivgZGp.jpg

gabosaurus
09-26-2016, 10:15 PM
I don't see the purpose of having debates in this election. There is such a political divide, there is little that either candidate could say or do that would dissuade or disillusion their supporters.

I didn't watch the debate. My daughter had piano lesson. But I can tell you what happened:
Clinton was aloof and dismissive, probably smirking during Trump's tirades
Trump was demonstrative and aggressive, since that is his chosen style.
The moderator had no control of the debate, allowing both candidates to ramble at will.

I just read that Trump was sniffling a lot. Is he sick? I hope he doesn't have pneumonia. :p

jimnyc
09-27-2016, 03:03 AM
I don't see the purpose of having debates in this election.

Believe it or not, there are millions and millions of "undecided" voters, and they say that many of them will be making up their minds based on the 3 debates.

Yes, I know, yikes.