PDA

View Full Version : Bad Words

Perianne
09-27-2016, 04:00 PM
Do you say bad words regularly?

I read some recent posts where there were multiple bad words. Surely they don't talk like that in real life.

I confess: I said a bad word a couple of years ago when I got really, really angry at someone. I immediately felt bad, but the deed was done. So, I don't mean to put myself as superior to anyone. I am just curious if people say bad words every week, or even every day.

If anyone wants help with your potty mouth, I am available to offer alternatives to bad words. @dmp

revelarts
09-27-2016, 04:27 PM
while i don't like "bad words" and rarely use them i'm far more concerned with bad ideas, bad points of view, false concepts of reality, lies and lack of love.
That's far more damaging and painful than simple "bad words".

Perianne
09-27-2016, 04:32 PM
while i don't like "bad words" and rarely use them i'm far more concerned with bad ideas, bad points of view, false concepts of reality, lies and lack of love.
That's far more damaging and painful than simple "bad words".

You have a good point there. Maybe I will think about this and start a new thread on your thoughts. Or, you could start one.

revelarts
09-27-2016, 05:11 PM
You have a good point there.
just saying'.

Maybe I will think about this and start a new thread on your thoughts. Or, you could start one.

not me.

closest i've come is the kindness and such thread (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?53393-Kindness-and-such)

Drummond
09-27-2016, 05:58 PM
I try not to say 'Leftie' any more than I absolutely have to.

I often fail in my intentions, though. As you Americans would say ... 'My bad' ....

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
09-27-2016, 07:37 PM

I read some recent posts where there were multiple bad words. Surely they don't talk like that in real life.

I confess: I said a bad word a couple of years ago when I got really, really angry at someone. I immediately felt bad, but the deed was done. So, I don't mean to put myself as superior to anyone. I am just curious if people say bad words every week, or even every day.

If anyone wants help with your potty mouth, I am available to offer alternatives to bad words. @dmp

I FAIL IN MY DESIRE TO NEVER USE A BAD WORD.
I do try but sometimes the right word to convey the message is a bad word..
The world is a dark and evil place--thus sometimes to communicate and get the point across -one may have to say a person is a sorry bastard or a sorry bitch. As it would take many pages typing to convey that in other words.
I use the word "SOB" MORE THAN I SHOULD BUT its a time saver and leaves no doubt as to intent.
Morally wrong but as a writer sometimes its the right word-especially when describing evil people..
If I CAN NOT SAY HILARY IS A DAMN BITCH-I AM AT A LOSS AS TO HOW TO DESCRIBED THAT DAMN BITCH!

YOU ARE CORRECT--BUT FORGIVE WE SINNERS AND OUR ANGER/VANITY...--TYR

aboutime
09-27-2016, 07:43 PM

Perianne. Went through most of my naval career using bad words, which were accepted as commonplace, and normal. I had to transition to using GOOD words, every time I walked in my front door after a deployment, or day at work among the others who also used bad words.
After I retired. I learned to adjust, and forget using such words..only to discover that SOCIETY as a whole had been changing, and dared to make BAD WORDS their standard...to the point today, where walking down the street, in a restaurant, a mall, or sporting event...BAD WORDS (AS WE CALLED THEM) became natural, and often acceptable. FOR...to try and correct anyone in public using BAD WORDS made you...their enemy, and often threatened you for daring to be HUMAN.

gabosaurus
09-27-2016, 08:40 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Nrp7cj_tM

aboutime
09-27-2016, 09:02 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_Nrp7cj_tM

So gabby. YOU APPROVE! Because Carlin used those words so freely. He actually described the demise of civility in many ways. Yes, this video was the reason he became famous. He was, after all, a comedian.

Would you like your daughter to freely use those same SEVEN words while you are at the dinner table? Or, is this the acceptable language in your home?

gabosaurus
09-27-2016, 09:23 PM
It a COMEDY sketch, bro! You know, the stuff that makes people laugh. Don't know about you old farts, but us younger folks enjoy a good laugh occasionally.
George Carlin is one of the funniest comedians of all time. Right up there with Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDuYXGAuBw

Elessar
09-27-2016, 09:45 PM
Perianne. Went through most of my naval career using bad words, which were accepted as commonplace, and normal. I had to transition to using GOOD words, every time I walked in my front door after a deployment, or day at work among the others who also used bad words.
After I retired. I learned to adjust, and forget using such words..only to discover that SOCIETY as a whole had been changing, and dared to make BAD WORDS their standard...to the point today, where walking down the street, in a restaurant, a mall, or sporting event...BAD WORDS (AS WE CALLED THEM) became natural, and often acceptable. FOR...to try and correct anyone in public using BAD WORDS made you...their enemy, and often threatened you for daring to be HUMAN.

I know I have to guard my tongue as well. I never claimed to be perfect. Cursing was common
in the service.

But you are right seeing society making such words commonplace. Look at Hollywood.
Hard to find less than half of the movies produced now avoid such words and phrases.
Hear it often from junior high / middle school kids these days.

Elessar
09-27-2016, 09:47 PM
It a COMEDY sketch, bro! You know, the stuff that makes people laugh. Don't know about you old farts, but us younger folks enjoy a good laugh occasionally.
George Carlin is one of the funniest comedians of all time. Right up there with Bill Hicks, Richard Pryor and Sam Kinison.

Carlin was a Master at Semantics, and not just the bad words!:laugh:

aboutime
09-27-2016, 09:57 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPDuYXGAuBw

gabby. Old fart that I am. George was one of my favorites. Your propensity to patronize here is even more laughable. You didn't bother to talk about my words, but preferred to talk down...as good as you are at such idiotic drivel. So, I can now laugh at you, and be reminded that what you call younger folks, and need to identify as such...that one day. If you are intelligent enough to do so. Will become older and then...get the feelings you are trying to express toward me.
Your snobbery, ignorance, and arrogance precede you in every way. Too bad for you. AND I AM NOT....YOUR BRO!

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 01:27 AM

I do, guilty as charged. :(

I'm probably not fully like that in real life and I can get away with a little more here.

darin
09-28-2016, 03:27 AM
I find the idea of 'bad words' puritanical and pretentious.

A bigger vocabulary is a bigger vocabulary — no matter whether you are quoting Shakespeare or cursing like a sailor.

This is the takeaway from a study recently published in the journal Language Sciences, which finds that fluency in “taboo words” is correlated with having a larger vocabulary in general.

The finding goes against some prior research and much popular thinking that sees cursing as a defect. Researchers and authors have argued that people who curse a lot are lazy, have a more limited vocabulary, and lack education and self-control.

But the study by psychologists Kristin Jay of Marist College and Timothy Jay of the Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts suggests that at least one of these assumptions is wrong.

The researchers carried out three different studies to test how “general verbal fluency” – demonstrated in the study by people’s ability to come up with a long list of words starting with the letters “a,” “f,” and “s” -- correlated with their ability to list "taboo words," or common curses and slurs. As a control, they also had the test-takers list as many words related to animals as possible.

These findings suggest the idea that “fluency is fluency,” as the researchers write. People who could recall a lot of bad words also tended to be more eloquent in general. In other words, swearing is not necessarily a sign that a person has a limited vocabulary or can’t think of anything better to say.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2015/12/22/why-its-a-good-sign-if-you-curse-a-lot/

Emphasis mine.

Besides, the meaning behind the words is more important. There's no moral difference between yelling out a 'What the fuck is going on??' if you walk-in on your spouse 'fudging' another person than if you exclaimed "What the (heck, dick, ass, shit, fuck, etc) is GOING ON??"

Intent > semantics.

Perianne
09-28-2016, 07:00 AM

I find the idea of 'bad words' puritanical and pretentious. ...
Intent > semantics.

The offer still stands, dmp. I am here to help.

Bilgerat
09-28-2016, 10:10 AM
I try REALLY hard not to use my "MK1" voice. That voice uses certain words like a comma :laugh2:

Having said that, I remember my Lady's mother saying this;

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/67/67abe0a94329df71c7fbdb82b000ce695c01e5473779fa4f6b d9ba1f1a5bde7a.jpg

darin
09-28-2016, 11:50 AM
The offer still stands, dmp. I am here to help.

I am sorry you are held captive.

revelarts
09-28-2016, 01:13 PM
I find the idea of 'bad words' puritanical and pretentious.

Emphasis mine.

Besides, the meaning behind the words is more important. There's no moral difference between yelling out a 'What the fuck is going on??' if you walk-in on your spouse 'fudging' another person than if you exclaimed "What the (heck, dick, ass, shit, fuck, etc) is GOING ON??"

Intent > semantics.
1st of all whats wrong with the Puritans?
And why is using civil and polite language "pretentious"?

As far as yelling if you find your wife screwing another guy. Well Ok, ....1st it's not so much a moral issue... but the use there seems a bit different than using profanity every 5 minutes as punctuation to comments about junk mail, a good lunch, the slow driver in front you, the extra project at work, the lost keys, the bad/good plays of the game, the annoying phone call, etc etc..

IMO language in many ways is like clothing.
you usually don't dress formally but you know when you should, and you know it's basically never good to leave the house naked or with your private parts hanging out just "to be real".

doesn't mean people who use profanity, blasphemy and course language are not intelligent.
IMO it mainly means they don't have much respect for others who don't share their ideas on the use of language.
And they don't mind offending people willy nilly because it's to much trouble for them to curb their language.

Perianne
09-28-2016, 01:20 PM

As far as yelling if you find your wife screwing another guy. Well Ok, ....1st it's not so much a moral issue... but the use there seems bit different than using profanity every 5 minutes as punctuation to comments about junk mail, a good lunch, the slow driver in front you, the extra project at work, the lost keys, the bad/good plays of the game, the annoying phone call, etc etc..

you usually don't dress formally but you know when you should, and you know it's basically never good to leave the house naked or with you private parts hanging out just to "to be real".

doesn't mean people who use profanity, blasphemy and course language are not intelligent.
IMO it just means they don't have much respect for others who don't share their ideas on the use of language.
revelarts, I believe this to be the best post you've ever made. You stated so clearly what i struggled to say. Thank you, sir.

hjmick
09-28-2016, 02:47 PM
One of my favorite quotes:

I don't swear just for the hell of it. Language is a poor enough means of communication. I think we should use all the words we've got. Besides, there are damn few words that anybody understands.

I don't think about it, honestly. I swear. Deal with it. Mostly at work.

There were certain words I wouldn't use around my dad, out of respect. Same goes for mom. I did my best not to swear around my kids until they were adults. Didn't always work.

crin63
09-28-2016, 04:51 PM

As a former construction worker I used foul language as punctuation in most of my sentences. When I became a Christian I quit using that kind of language. It is still in my thoughts as I spoke it so frequently for decades but I try never to allow it to escape my lips. That said, I have a problem with chronic fatigue from a TBI and when I allow myself to wear down too far my base instincts sometimes take over. It's when I can barely function by having pushed myself too far physically that drives down my emotions and mental fortitude. To my shame at those times, a word will slip. It's only then that it happens.

SassyLady
09-29-2016, 04:37 AM
Not in everyday conversation, however, I have used curse words to emphasize a point.

darin
09-30-2016, 12:39 AM

As far as yelling if you find your wife screwing another guy. Well Ok, ....1st it's not so much a moral issue... but the use there seems a bit different than using profanity every 5 minutes as punctuation to comments about junk mail, a good lunch, the slow driver in front you, the extra project at work, the lost keys, the bad/good plays of the game, the annoying phone call, etc etc..

you usually don't dress formally but you know when you should, and you know it's basically never good to leave the house naked or with your private parts hanging out just "to be real".

IMO it mainly means they don't have much respect for others who don't share their ideas on the use of language.
And they don't mind offending people willy nilly because it's to much trouble for them to curb their language.

Few people do as-good of a job at missing the point as you just did. Kudos.

Folk who feel offense at words are lacking in a couple important areas. First, they are lacking intelligence-enough to skip past the emphasis and understand the point. They also do not know love, because they show pride - which is at odds with love. They also cannot be christians in the strict sense because of the pride thing. Folks who talk-down to others - as you did to me and to whomever reads that reply, are like the only people christ ever got mad with - you know...those who had him killed?

So - to summarize the shit out of this - take your evil, anti-god, works-based "politeness" and "properness" outside for a walk...while there, the three of you may want to consider playing a game of "hide and go fuck yourselves"

revelarts
09-30-2016, 08:13 AM

Folk who feel offense at words are lacking in a couple important areas. First, they are lacking intelligence-enough to skip past the emphasis and understand the point. They also do not know love, because they show pride - which is at odds with love. They also cannot be christians in the strict sense because of the pride thing. Folks who talk-down to others - as you did to me and to whomever reads that reply, are like the only people christ ever got mad with - you know...those who had him killed?

So - to summarize the shit out of this - take your evil, anti-god, works-based "politeness" and "properness" outside for a walk...while there, the three of you may want to consider playing a game of "hide and go fuck yourselves"

So the above is an example of how Christian love should be expressed dmp?

Perianne
09-30-2016, 08:24 AM
So the above is an example of how Christian love should be expressed dmp?

I don't understand why dmp is angry and saying mean things. I admitted to saying a bad word, too. I think we have all said bad words.

I think maybe he got a bad haircut or something.

“Vulgarity is like a fine wine: it should only be uncorked on a special occasion, and then only shared with the right group of people.”
― James Rozoff

aboutime
09-30-2016, 08:22 PM

dmp. When anyone pretends to be, and acts like only they are HOLIER THAN THOU. As we have been seeing. When those patronize others with language only they feel obligated to use TOWARD others...as we have been seeing.
There is only one thing we need to do for people like that. Tell them how sad we feel for their endless, self-inflicted, lack of personal confidence that drives them to always TALK DOWN to others in order to keep their PRIDE hidden.