PDA

View Full Version : TV Clip Shows Donald Trump Did Not Support Iraq War

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 08:50 AM
So much for that one! And a good thing that Holt corrected him then, I guess. :rolleyes:

-----

TV Clip Shows Donald Trump Did Not Support Iraq War, Despite Lester Holt, ‘Fact Check’ Claims

A rediscovered 2003 interview of Donald Trump has knocked sideways the Democrats’ media-magnified strategy to hide Hillary Clinton’s support for the 2003 Iraq campaign.

The Democrats’ strategy is to divert attention from Clinton’s support for the war by arguing that Trump backed the Iraq campaign in 2003. They base that claim on a tepid 2002 endorsement by Trump when he was being interviewed on Howard Stern’s radio show. “Yeah, I guess so,” Trump said when asked if he supported the pending campaign.

In sharp contrast to Trump’s comments as a New York real-estate developer, then-New York Sen. Hillary Clinton repeatedly spoke in favor of the campaign, and she cast her vote to authorize and fund the war.

The new tape of Trump’s opposition comes from January 2003, before the operation was launched.

“Well, I’m starting to think that people are much more focused now on the economy,” Trump told Fox News’ Neil Cavuto. “They’re getting a little bit tired of hearing ‘We’re going in, we’re not going in.’ Whatever happened to the days of [Gen.] Douglas MacArthur? Either do it or don’t do it.”

“Perhaps he shouldn’t be doing it yet. And perhaps we should be waiting for the United Nations,” Trump said.

“The Iraqi situation is a problem, and I think the economy is a much bigger problem,” he added.

During the September 26 presidential debate, moderator Lester Holt insisted that it was a proven fact that Donald Trump supported George W. Bush’s war in Iraq before Trump was against it.

Holt insisted that GOP nominee Donald Trump “had supported the war in Iraq before the invasion.”

The real estate mogul adamantly rejected the assertion and re-iterated that he was always against the war. “The record shows that I’m right,” Trump said to Holt. “When I did an interview with Howard Stern, very lightly, first time anyone’s asked me that, I said, very lightly, ‘I don’t know, maybe, who knows?’ Essentially. I then did an interview with Neil Cavuto. We talked about the economy is more important [than going to war].”

Holt, accused of acting as a third debater that night, cut Trump off saying, “The record does not show that.”

Like many on the left goaded by the Clinton campaign’s media shop, Holt was referring to Donald Trump’s interview with radio’s Howard Stern in 2002. When asked during the Stern interview if the U.S. should invade Iraq, Trump replied with a very weak affirmation, “Yeah, I guess so.”

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/09/27/trump-iraq-war-support-weak-lester-holt/

pete311
09-28-2016, 09:08 AM
http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-iraq-war/

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:10 AM
http://www.snopes.com/donald-trump-iraq-war/

I can tell you didn't bother to read the article I posted. :)

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:13 AM
The article states he weakly supported as much on Stern, which is what you linked to from Snopes, so nothing new there. But a new clip is apparently coming out from him on Cavuto, which is what he said, where he was dead set against it still prior to the war, and more interested in the economy - while Hillary was for it and voted for it.

pete311
09-28-2016, 09:14 AM
I can tell you didn't bother to read the article I posted. :)

That article is garbage spin doctoring to it's fullest. Jim it's pathetic that you rail me for linking to mother jones when you constantly post articles from the epicenter of the trump lair.

The point still stands that he supported it before he was against it. How you frame that into "it wasn't full commitment" is total garbage.

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:18 AM
That article is garbage spin doctoring to it's fullest. Jim it's pathetic that you rail me for linking to mother jones when you constantly post articles from the epicenter of the trump lair.

The point still stands that he supported it before he was against it. How you frame that into "it wasn't full commitment" is total garbage.

And he was against it before any intervention, which leads one to believe that it's where he stood on vote day, which is what people will see.

And point out these crazy sites I use? Here:

CNN
MSNBC
pjmedia
Breitbart
Daily Caller
NBC
Fox News
Newsmax
Al Jazeera English
hotair

Which one is so horrible and has a reputation in the same universe as mother jones? Sorry, none of them do. a few even lean left! And yep, most lean right, but not crazily so.

pete311
09-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Which one is so horrible and has a reputation in the same universe as mother jones? Sorry, none of them do. a few even lean left! And yep, most lean right, but not crazily so.

You seem to have a real affinity for Breitbart which makes Fox News look neutral.

fj1200
09-28-2016, 09:25 AM
So he didn't support it before he was for it before he was against it??? Sounds about right.

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:25 AM
You seem to have a real affinity for Breitbart which makes Fox News look neutral.

Ok then, got something I posted that was untrue? Or how about go to their site right this moment - post what is currently untrue on there by them?

Either way, I'm bailing in a moment buddy. I don't feel well this morning. I only tell u that as I don't want you to think I bailed on a debate or am ignoring you somehow. :)

pete311
09-28-2016, 09:27 AM
Ok then, got something I posted that was untrue? Or how about go to their site right this moment - post what is currently untrue on there by them?

Either way, I'm bailing in a moment buddy. I don't feel well this morning. I only tell u that as I don't want you to think I bailed on a debate or am ignoring you somehow. :)

When you disprove the Politico lies chart then I'll work on your articles. (Trump Tactic). Hope you get better soon!

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:29 AM
So he didn't support it before he was for it before he was against it??? Sounds about right.

Imagine that, one originally thinking invasion was a good choice, and changing their mind with more information. :rolleyes:

I didn't, and I disagree with him, for the record. But not exactly news of the century that he decided down the line that we had bigger issues here within.

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:31 AM
When you disprove the Politico lies chart then I'll work on your articles. (Trump Tactic). Hope you get better soon!

I already posted 2 lies, that were not in fact lies. I won't be going further than that. I really don't have much a need to disprove it to you, Pete. Look it up here, it's been done before. Look up Ted Cruz, which is what I mainly based it on at the time. Some of these supposed lies are very very very weak, and some just weren't lies.

fj1200
09-28-2016, 09:31 AM
Imagine that, one originally thinking invasion was a good choice, and changing their mind with more information. :rolleyes:

I didn't, and I disagree with him, for the record. But not exactly news of the century that he decided down the line that we had bigger issues here within.

The problem is that he can't/won't explain it now and makes provably false statements. I care not a whit that he changed his mind.

revelarts
09-28-2016, 09:32 AM
Trump makes stuff as he goes along and sticks to the latest view that he thinks is in his best interest.

1st 2 minutes shows Trumps flip floppy views on Iraq... we should go in... we shouldn't have gone in... we should get out completely ... we should not have gotten out completely... Obama created ISIS in Iraq .... I didn't mean he Created ISIS in Iraq...

Trump is a Joke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goONBDcd62o

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:33 AM
The problem is that he can't/won't explain it now and makes provably false statements. I care not a whit that he changed his mind.

It's a good fit then, because you're hardly the type of person that he cares whether you believe him or not. Some will solidly be for, some solidly against and/or for someone else (where you are), and folks that can go various ways.

fj1200
09-28-2016, 09:37 AM
It's a good fit then, because you're hardly the type of person that he cares whether you believe him or not. Some will solidly be for, some solidly against and/or for someone else (where you are), and folks that can go various ways.

He doesn't care about a possible vote that he won't get because he's a complete flake? Very well then... brilliance personified.

jimnyc
09-28-2016, 09:39 AM
He doesn't care about a possible vote that he won't get because he's a complete flake? Very well then... brilliance personified.

Sure, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

fj1200
09-28-2016, 09:43 AM
Sure, that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

What "type of person" am I other than a possible voter?

:dunno:

pete311
09-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Trump makes stuff as he goes along and sticks to the latest view that he thinks is in his best interest.

1st 2 minutes shows Trumps flip floppy views on Iraq... we should go in... we shouldn't have gone in... we should get out completely ... we should not have gotten out completely... Obama created ISIS in Iraq .... I didn't mean he Created ISIS in Iraq...

Trump is a Joke.

It's really one of the best SNL skits i've ever seen. I'm still waiting for Trump to say "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night Live!". Maybe the next debate.

Kathianne
09-28-2016, 10:15 AM

Seems about right. One thing for sure though, he supported it much less than Hillary.

Abbey Marie
09-28-2016, 05:12 PM
As I've posted elsewhere, I saw him on Charlie Rose around the time of the invasion, very clearly stating he was against it. This at a time when NY and most of the country was for it.

Support who you want, but unless you want to call me a liar, know that he was against it.

pete311
09-28-2016, 05:53 PM
As I've posted elsewhere, I saw him on Charlie Rose around the time of the invasion, very clearly stating he was against it. This at a time when NY and most of the country was for it.

Support who you want, but unless you want to call me a liar, know that he was against it.

Yup he was for it before he was against it

Abbey Marie
09-28-2016, 06:23 PM
Yup he was for it before he was against it

No, and in any event, it doesn't matter to me. Nor you, truth be told.

aboutime
09-28-2016, 07:10 PM
To quote one, Hillary Clinton.....Remember, she also stated that NO AMERICANS died in Libya.....
http://youtu.be/8INIH0JfNA8

And if anyone really cares about it here...."WHAT DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE WHAT DONALD SAID, NOW?"

fj1200
09-29-2016, 09:07 AM

I would think there would be video of that and it appears that he was only on Charlie Rose once, in 1992.