PDA

View Full Version : Trump advisers weigh: Christie in charge of debate prep

jimnyc
09-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Hmmmmmm.... this could be interesting. He's already been a part of the campaign. He's a damn pit bull of a debater. I'd rather he just be the one doing the debating! But maybe give him some tips at least. Sounds only like a rumor though...

-----

Trump advisers weigh putting Christie in charge of debate prep

(CNN)Some of Donald Trump's advisers are discussing an overhaul in how he prepares for his second face-off with Hillary Clinton, and one option being floated internally is asking Chris Christie to take a leading role to get the Republican nominee ready.

The New Jersey governor, a long-time friend of Trump's, is one of "the few" in the billionaire's inner circle who has always been straight with him, and was "brutally honest" about his shortcomings after this week's debate, according to a source familiar with the discussions.

There's no sign that everyone in the campaign agrees this is the right path forward. There's been a round of recriminations within the campaign amid fallout from the debate.

Christie told CNN no request has been made. "I have not been asked to do anything new, and as far as I know, there is no new debate prep scheduled," he said. He reiterated that point when asked later Thursday by CNN's Wolf Blitzer: "Nothing's been asked of me to do more. If there is, I'd certainly have that conversation with Donald Trump at the time, but I'm not going to presuppose anything at this point."

Asked about the discussion, campaign manager KellyAnne Conway said Christie is "not currently under consideration."

Christie is also one of the few in Trump's orbit who has recent experience on the debate stage -- with Trump as one of his competitors -- during the GOP primaries. His takedown of Marco Rubio was one of the primary campaign's most memorable exchanges. Such a move -- should it happen -- would reflect an understanding by Trump and his campaign leadership that the first debate went poorly. That sentiment was expressed to CNN by multiple sources close to Trump, even as the campaign urged surrogates Wednesday to argue publicly that Trump performed well Monday night.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politics/donald-trump-debate-chris-christie/index.html