PDA

View Full Version : Why is Gary Johnson still in the race?

jimnyc
09-29-2016, 08:20 PM
Don't yell at me, this is the latest CNN headline!

-----

Why is Gary Johnson still in the race?

Washington (CNN)Gary Johnson is the new punching bag of the 2016 campaign.

The Libertarian presidential candidate is the subject of intensifying ridicule following his latest televised flub when he couldn't name a world leader he admired during a Wednesday interview with MSNBC's Chris Matthews. That follows another embarrassing on-air moment last month when, in response to a question about how he would alleviate the plight of the besieged Syrian city of Aleppo, he responded: "What is Aleppo?"

The gaffes, combined with his failure to make the debate stage and his infinitesimal chance of winning the White House, raise a pressing question: Why is Johnson still in the race?

Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton ribbed Johnson Thursday by pretending to struggle when she was asked to name a world leader she admired. But she made clear her view that she and her Republican counterpart, Donald Trump, are the only viable candidates.

"Either Donald Trump or I will be the President of the United States," she told reporters on her campaign plane, sending a clear warning to disaffected Democrats flirting with Johnson. "People have to look carefully in making their decision. It will be either him or me."

But Johnson isn't going anywhere.

William Weld, Johnson's running mate, said the latest stumble doesn't leave him with any doubts.

"He's a deep person in terms of his thinking and he thinks through things in a way that many other people don't," Weld told CNN's Randi Kaye Thursday on Anderson Cooper 360. "Pop quizzes on television are obviously not his forte but depth of analysis and surprising lines of analysis are his forte. I think he just needs time to expound what he's thinking."

Rest here - http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/29/politics/gary-johnson-hillary-clinton-donald-trump/index.html

NightTrain
09-29-2016, 09:11 PM
Watching that clip, you can see Weld doing a mental facepalm before he jumps in and tries to save him... but Matthews was on him like a Pitbull on a Poodle.

Why the Libertarians chose him in this golden opportunity to move from the fringe is beyond me. The guy is a burned out pothead.