PDA

View Full Version : These jokes aren’t funny anymore

jimnyc
09-30-2016, 05:46 AM
These jokes aren’t funny anymore: Can we all agree now that the third-party candidates are useless?
We want vital third parties and serious alternatives — instead we get Gary Johnson, Evan McMullin and Jill Stein

Gary Johnson has now had his Rick Perry-esque “oops” moment. Again.

The latest brain freeze by the Libertarian Party’s presidential candidate came during a town hall broadcast on MSNBC and hosted by the channel’s human bullhorn, Chris Matthews. Asked to name a current foreign leader he admires, Johnson could not come up with a single name. (To be fair, his vice presidential running mate William Weld didn’t do much better, blurting out the name of Israel’s Shimon Peres, who has not held office for two years and is also dead.)

In the middle of his brain freeze, Johnson commented that he was having another “Aleppo moment,” a reference to his now-infamous appearance on “Morning Joe” three weeks ago, when he was asked how he would handle the situation in the city that is the epicenter of Syria’s civil war and responded by asking, “What is Aleppo?”

Watching this latest incidence of Johnsonian vapor lock, a couple of thoughts came to mind:

The president has more influence over foreign policy than domestic. So it is one thing to advocate a foreign policy of non-interventionism overseas, but quite another to be as oblivious to the rest of the world as Johnson appears to be. After all, foreign policy is not just about military interventions and fighting wars. “Who is your favorite foreign leader” might be a simplistic question, but the answer can tell us something about a candidate’s view of the office. (Think of Donald Trump’s praise of Vladimir Putin, for example.)
Aleppo is a large city currently being annihilated, along with its hundreds of thousands of residents, by cruelty so wanton as to be nearly impossible to fathom. Using it as a light-hearted synecdoche for your own cluelessness is gross and debasing. Don’t do that.
Why are we treating the current third-party candidates for president with even an ounce of seriousness, making them the subjects of media profiles, interviews with editorial boards of major newspapers, and primetime town hall question-and-answer sessions on the major cable news networks?

It is this last point that is most baffling. Sure, Johnson is on the ballot in all 50 states. Sure, he and Green Party nominee Jill Stein and even, arguably, independent conservative candidate Evan McMullin represent views relegated to the fringes of the major parties but which might appeal to a wider range of voters if they could only get more exposure. (McMullin seems to be a doctrinaire conservative who is not afraid of ticking off the GOP base, a rarity in the Republican Party at the moment.) Yes, in a democracy that prizes free expression, it is important to hear different points of view, within reason. (Jill Stein might have a good point on universal health care, for example, but last I checked there is no evidence to support her contention that WiFi is frying children’s brains.)

The problem is that a presidential race is not the place to air them if one is not a truly viable presidential candidate. Relegated to the low single digits in the polls (Public Policy Polling’s latest national poll has these three candidates pulling a collective nine percent), the Libertarians and Greens are a sideshow, entertaining us mostly by being silly distractions from the intense, constant, laser-like focus on Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton.

Part of the problem, as Katie Aronoff spells out in an essay arguing that the Left deserves a better candidate than Jill Stein, is that the Green Party “falls into the same traps” that so often hurt Democrats in midterm elections. Aronoff writes:

[P]utting too much emphasis on the presidency and the electoral process itself, while declining to undertake the kind of deep organizing necessary to alter the state of play in these arenas. The result, for the Greens, is a politics too interested in being right, and not enough in actually taking state power.

Rest here - http://www.salon.com/2016/09/30/these-jokes-arent-funny-anymore-can-we-all-just-agree-the-third-party-candidates-are-useless-now/

NightTrain
09-30-2016, 08:15 AM
Have to disagree. The befuddled Johnson is hilarious!

The added benefits, besides my own cheap amusement, Stein is siphoning the greenies and Johnson is taking the hippies & unwashed OWS from Hellary.

I'm hoping that the Libertarians don't just fold up their tent before the election, but I don't know how many more monumental gaffes they can withstand. At this point they'd be smart to forbid Johnson talking to any news personality and just send in Weld. Weld is a moonbat, but at least he can name a foreign leader.

jimnyc
09-30-2016, 08:20 AM
Have to disagree. The befuddled Johnson is hilarious!

The added benefits, besides my own cheap amusement, Stein is siphoning the greenies and Johnson is taking the hippies & unwashed OWS from Hellary.

I'm hoping that the Libertarians don't just fold up their tent before the election, but I don't know how many more monumental gaffes they can withstand. At this point they'd be smart to forbid Johnson talking to any news personality and just send in Weld. Weld is a moonbat, but at least he can name a foreign leader.

I believe Kathianne was the first to correct me, and state that Johnson is taking more votes away from Hillary than he is for Trump. Every article I have read since then backs up those comments. So yeah, in that respect, it's great!

I still think the libertarian party is getting more attention this year than they have previously. It's all a matter now of bringing in the right candidate at the right time.

NightTrain
09-30-2016, 08:52 AM
I believe Kathianne was the first to correct me, and state that Johnson is taking more votes away from Hillary than he is for Trump. Every article I have read since then backs up those comments. So yeah, in that respect, it's great!

I still think the libertarian party is getting more attention this year than they have previously. It's all a matter now of bringing in the right candidate at the right time.

Yep. They really blew a golden opportunity this year.

Abbey Marie
09-30-2016, 09:10 AM
I have a relative who supports Johnson. On FB, he stated that the media is lying when it says that he couldn't name a foreign leader.

:tinfoil:

We appear to be a nation of people with our fingers in our ears when it comes to our candidate, and an interrogation light when it comes to the others.

fj1200
09-30-2016, 09:21 AM
I've been saying it's not funny for quite some time. :)

Perianne
09-30-2016, 05:17 PM
http://www.debatepolicy.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9400&stc=1