PDA

View Full Version : Philippines President likens himself to Hitler

jimnyc
09-30-2016, 07:44 AM
Wow. Just wow.

-----

Philippines President likens himself to Hitler

(CNN)When comparing yourself to world leaders or historical figures, there are perhaps less controversial choices than Adolf Hitler.

Philippines President Rodrigo Duterte on Friday likened himself to the Nazi leader, saying he wants to kill millions of drug addicts, just as Hitler killed Jews during the Holocaust.

"Hitler massacred three million Jews. Now there is three million, what is it, three million drug addicts (in the Philippines), there are," he said in a speech in his hometown of Davao City.

"I'd be happy to slaughter them. At least if Germany had Hitler, the Philippines would have (me). You know my victims, I would like (them) to be all criminals, to finish the problem of my country and save the next generation from perdition."

History counts the cost of Hitler's purges against "undesirables" at six million, the vast majority of whom were Jews.

World Jewish Congress President Ronald Lauder, in Israel to attend the funeral of former Prime Minister Shimon Peres, condemned the remarks.

"These statements are revolting, and President Duterte must retract them and apologize," Lauder said. "We just marked the 75th anniversary of Babi Yar, the massacre of more than 33,000 Jews in Ukraine by Nazi Germany... Now, the elected leader of the Philippines openly calls for the mass murder of people who are addicted to drugs.

"Drug abuse is a serious issue. But what President Duterte said is not only profoundly inhumane, but it demonstrates an appalling disrespect for human life."

The controversial leader campaigned on a hard line against crime, particularly drug offenses, and has in the past uttered statements which have caused many in the international community to recoil.

Rest here - http://www.cnn.com/2016/09/30/asia/duterte-hitler-comparison/

Perianne
09-30-2016, 07:51 AM
That's one way to solve the drug problem.

jimnyc
09-30-2016, 07:54 AM

I wonder how he would classify "drug addicts" though. Will long term heroin addicts be lumped in equally with marijuana smokers of about a year, for example? Lots of range when using the term 'drug addicts'.

Perianne
09-30-2016, 07:55 AM
I wonder how he would classify "drug addicts" though. Will long term heroin addicts be lumped in equally with marijuana smokers of about a year, for example? Lots of range when using the term 'drug addicts'.

Indeed. I suspect it will wind up like Hitler...anyone he doesn't like will be termed a "drug addict".

NightTrain
09-30-2016, 08:05 AM
Duterte is a bit nutty, but I couldn't help chuckling when he called Obama a "son of a whore" prior to a scheduled meeting with him.

Bambam cancelled the meeting soon afterwards. :laugh2:

pete311
09-30-2016, 08:51 AM

Yeah let's kill people with a disease. Addiction is a medical condition. Addict levels reflect the condition of your society. Well adjusted people normally don't take hard drugs. (The exception is those who got hooked on prescription meds which is the leading gateway for heroin abuse). The Philippines is a still a shit hole. People will continue to take drugs. This is simply a genocide. It will solve nothing.

gabosaurus
09-30-2016, 09:26 AM
This guy is genuinely scary. He is a dictator in the making.

revelarts
09-30-2016, 10:44 AM
Interesting he went with Hitler instead of Mao.
Still, He sounds like a nut just looking for another excuse to kill people.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-China-eradicate-the-opium-problem-given-that-opium-addiction-penetrated-all-the-way-up-to-the-Imperial-Court

Opium addiction became a problem because China was hopelessly outgunned by the drug cartel, the British East India Company, and their patron, the British Empire.From the 1840s to the 1950s, China was in a state of continuous turmoil and war, and getting high became an easy and fashionable way to escape the harsh reality.Imperial China and Republican China never eradicated the opium problem. In fact, by the time when gangs were profiting from Prohibition in America, drug lords were also huge and powerful in China. They benefitted from the extraterritoriality of foreign concessions where drug cartels were beyond the reach of Chinese authorities and the foreign authorities did not care about dealing with them because it was not their problem. One gang sought refuge in the French concession and became a paramilitary ally of Chiang Kai-Shek, even doing his dirty work like extrajudicial killing of communists and suspected insurgents. These drug lords later retreated to Taiwan for early retirement or fled to Burma and Laos where they mounted resistance in the name of the KMT against the communists, funded by the drug trade.
China was not able to eradicate opium addiction until after the 2nd revolution of 1949 when the country was finally at peace. One of the first things that Chairman Mao did was to eradicate opium addiction. He harnessed the Zeitgeist of revolutionary zeal. He portrayed opium addiction as an enemy of the people, and to eradicate drugs was a revolutionary struggle to be carried out by every single person in the nation. People happily complied. This was the reason why it was so successful. The entire society was mobilized to carry out an objective and the execution was decentralized.
The execution and results varied. Some if not most communities were using positive supportive methods to help addicts transition off; it helped greatly that addicts were portrayed as victims instead of criminals, as opium was the enemy not the addicts. But some communities literally executed addicts and dealers. The government also actively pursued and killed kingpins, who were a part of the Ancien Régime and an enemy of the state and the people. The tradition continues today: the Chinese government has zero tolerance for drugs and still does not hesitate to execute drug dealers, contributing greatly to its legally-induced body count.
Opium eradication was one of the most positive legacies of Mao Zedong. By 1956, China was essentially drug free up and remained so until his death in 1976.

https://www.quora.com/How-did-China-eradicate-the-opium-problem-given-that-opium-addiction-penetrated-all-the-way-up-to-the-Imperial-Court

pete311
09-30-2016, 10:51 AM
Interesting he went with Hitler instead of Mao.
Still, He sounds like a nut just looking for another excuse to kill people.

Means he has a massive ego and loves the attention. Hitler will get a much bigger response than Mao. He's loving this attention.