PDA

View Full Version : Trump on vet suicide

pete311
10-03-2016, 01:11 PM
Lots of vets here. What do you think of his comments?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/03/politics/donald-trump-ptsd-suicide/index.html

jimnyc
10-03-2016, 01:17 PM
They seem fine to me after reading everything. He's talking of the extreme difficulty that some have when returning from war. Many have PTSD. Some can handle the effects and others cannot. I guess we're all built differently. Trump has been 100% with the military from day one. He's no great speaker as we all know, but he wasn't meaning to step on anyone in the military, that's for sure.

pete311
10-03-2016, 01:53 PM
If you read the direct quote he essentially he's calling a portion of vets weak. You're ok with that?

aboutime
10-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Lots of vets here. What do you think of his comments?
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/03/politics/donald-trump-ptsd-suicide/index.html

pete. If that is what you took away from Trump's statement. Thanks for proving just how DUMB, and IGNORANT you really are. As a veteran of 30 years. You sound to me, like your head is so far up Hillary's butt...they need to clean out your ears with DRANO. Not a joke. But thanks for showing us what STUPID really is, and how to define it.

jimnyc
10-03-2016, 03:12 PM
If you read the direct quote he essentially he's calling a portion of vets weak. You're ok with that?

This?

"I have instructed the Joint Chiefs, and up and down the chain of command, that they have a responsibility to de-stigmatize mental health issues and issues of PTSD, and help to explain to everybody in all of the units under their command that there's nothing weak about asking for help,"

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Elessar
10-03-2016, 03:44 PM
This from an interview with The American Legion Magazine:

Trump: A recent VA comprehensive study placed the number of veterans who die by suicide at 20 per day. We must do better for those who suffer the invisible wounds of war. First, we must make sure that the VA Office of Suicide Prevention is staffed, resourced and placed on equal footing with its DoD counterpart. In addition, I will increase the number of mental health care professionals, and allow veterans to be able to see mental health care outside the VA if they so choose. We will also increase investments in researching, treating and diagnosing traumatic brain injury. This is a top priority for me.

This also from the Magazine:

Trump: Veterans have so many problems with VA. I’ve never seen anything like it. They are not being treated right. Their wait times – five, six, seven days, maybe even longer. Sometimes they don’t even get to see a doctor. The guiding principle of the Trump Veterans Plan is ensuring veterans have convenient and timely access to top-quality care. The veterans health system will remain a public system because it’s a public trust. But never again will we allow veterans to suffer or die waiting for care. One of the things we’re going to do is that if they can’t see a VA doctor, they are going to find a local doctor. It can be private – most likely it will be private – or they can go to a hospital outside that’s different from where they can’t get in or where they can’t go through the lines. This could be a public or private hospital, and we will pay the bills and take care of them. These are great people and we will take care of them properly.

Link: http://www.legion.org/magazine/234126/americas-next-president

Shoots down your one-sided opinion, Pete. Again shows you only subscribe what the
liberal media feed you by spoon.

Elessar
10-03-2016, 03:47 PM
And I suppose you are strong? Having to get others to tell you how to think? Hogwash.

aboutime
10-03-2016, 03:48 PM
This?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with that.

jim. I think pete interpreted that low statement as 'talking about him (pete)' . So pete wants it to be right when it includes him? Fine with me.

jimnyc
10-03-2016, 03:50 PM
And I suppose you are strong? Having to get others to tell you how to think? Hogwash.

Our military and veterans are among the best of the best. But that hardly means that they aren't human. Even the best can be overcome with all they have seen in war. That doesn't mean they are weak in the sense of being 'cowardly'. Seeking some help when they return is A-ok, and he's saying that if any of the veterans do in fact seek help, this hardly makes them "weak" for doing so.

jimnyc
10-03-2016, 03:52 PM
jim. I think pete interpreted that low statement as 'talking about him (pete)' . So pete wants it to be right when it includes him? Fine with me.

I think Pete read the comment, and along with CNN tried to make it look like he was somehow making disparaging comments towards those in horrible situations when returning home. I think CNN is disgusting for trying to make this connection that he never said.

Elessar
10-03-2016, 04:01 PM
Our military and veterans are among the best of the best. But that hardly means that they aren't human. Even the best can be overcome with all they have seen in war. That doesn't mean they are weak in the sense of being 'cowardly'. Seeking some help when they return is A-ok, and he's saying that if any of the veterans do in fact seek help, this hardly makes them "weak" for doing so.

Trauma affects each person differently. He was in no way accusing Vets as being weak.
The same thing happens in the civilian world.

Stubborn does not equate to being weak, and most vets are very stubborn. Seeking help
is not weak.

Pete is once again pissing up a rope.

Elessar
10-03-2016, 04:10 PM

I think Pete read the comment, and along with CNN tried to make it look like he was somehow making disparaging comments towards those in horrible situations when returning home. I think CNN is disgusting for trying to make this connection that he never said.

Correct on both counts!

My Dad suffered from PTSD from events in WWII, Viet Nam, and his upbringing. He never
sought help at all because he was Stubborn, but definitely not weak.

Pete cannot read and interpret a statement correctly without tossing in his liberal bias.

Perianne
10-03-2016, 04:38 PM
Trauma affects each person differently. He was in no way accusing Vets as being weak.
The same thing happens in the civilian world.

Stubborn does not equate to being weak, and most vets are very stubborn. Seeking help
is not weak.

Pete is once again pissing up a rope.

Correct, Elessar. I have seen things in ER that would affect anyone. Seeing little babies beaten to death can upset even the strongest apple cart. The thing is, people do what they have to do in the moment and then suffer the mental consequences later. It is not an insult to say that tragedy (such as war) affects everyone differently.

aboutime
10-03-2016, 04:57 PM
What pete obviously doesn't know, or have any idea about on this topic is...As most of us veterans have always known; Active Duty members of the military, from all branches, never want to appear as weak, or less qualified to STAY on active duty.
That, as most veterans know, from the past. Often meant the member in uniform felt threatened with being STOPPED cold for advancements, educational opportunities, preferred duty, and advanced training that allowed other members to Advance in Rank, and Pay.

Consequently...also something pete may never understand is...Peer pressure from others in uniform (not really true, but imagined in nearly all cases) prevents members of the military from complaining, or volunteering to expose any physical problems....primarily because they know...it could end their careers. All of those reasons are the causes of higher rates of Suicides, and PTSD not being reported...all out of fear, from an UNCARING, VETERANS ADMINISTRATION.
So pete. S T F U dude. You are nothing but a liberal sounding board for hatred, and stupidity.

pete311
10-03-2016, 09:55 PM
lol you guys get all bent out of shape and ranting some random shit when all I asked was for opinions on what Trump said.

btw, my bad, I forgot that the antonym of strong was stubborn...

"When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat and they see things that maybe a lot of folks in this room have seen many times over and you're strong and you can handle it but a lot of people can't handle it. They see horror stories, they see events you couldn't see in a movie, nobody would believe it,"

He's saying if you can't handle it, you aren't strong.

OAK
10-03-2016, 10:21 PM
lol you guys get all bent out of shape and ranting some random shit when all I asked was for opinions on what Trump said.

"When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat and they see things that maybe a lot of folks in this room have seen many times over and you're strong and you can handle it but a lot of people can't handle it. They see horror stories, they see events you couldn't see in a movie, nobody would believe it,"

He's saying if you can't handle it, you aren't strong.So, are you a liar or just too stupid to understand what he was saying?

Kathianne
10-03-2016, 10:40 PM
I don't like Trump, at all. This topic though is nothing but a smear job at spinning what he did not say. In actuality it's the most empathetic utterance I've heard come out of him.

Granted his nonsense over McCain's service and the dust up with the Khans left him open to this accusation, but it is a false one in this case.

pete311
10-04-2016, 08:13 AM
So, are you a liar or just too stupid to understand what he was saying?

Lie about what? I'm just posting a quote.

It's pretty clear from the quote. He says those who can handle war and not have problems are strong, those who can't are weak. What's to understand?

Black Diamond
10-04-2016, 08:25 AM
I think CNN is disgusting period.

fj1200
10-04-2016, 11:02 AM

It's pretty clear from the quote. He says those who can handle war and not have problems are strong, those who can't are weak. What's to understand?

Meh, it was merely his ham-handed "eloquence" which should all be used to by now.

Elessar
10-04-2016, 02:52 PM

You twisted what he said, and injected that famous liberal phrase "So what he/you is/are saying..."
Putting words in people's mouths that were not there to begin with.

Perianne
10-04-2016, 02:59 PM
You twisted what he said, and injected that famous liberal phrase "So what he/you is/are saying..."

People do that to me all the time. Most of the time it amuses me, but sometimes not. I think sometimes people read into things what they want to see. Elessar, you and I, and many others, have had to use our minds to see things as they are. Lives depend on it.

Black Diamond
10-04-2016, 03:13 PM
I would say it's deplorable, but that would be an insult to us deplorables. :)

Elessar
10-04-2016, 03:33 PM
Correct, Elessar. I have seen things in ER that would affect anyone. Seeing little babies beaten to death can upset even the strongest apple cart. The thing is, people do what they have to do in the moment and then suffer the mental consequences later. It is not an insult to say that tragedy (such as war) affects everyone differently.

I've had to pull dead bodies onto my boat. I've pulled babies, luckily alive, from pools
and surf.

I was on duty in the Los Angeles - Long Beach Command Center when 87 people died as
Alaska 261 Flight crashed into the Pacific just 2.5 miles North of Anacapa Island
off Channel Islands Harbor / Point Mugu. My next 4 hours were spent dispatching units
and volunteers to the search area. I knew that plunging 31000 feet into the ocean gave
less than 1% survival. People asked me afterward if I needed counseling or intervention.
I said "NO...look to the boat crews on scene and those fishermen that responded. I was
here at this desk and computer knowing that not a thing I did could have prevented that
plane from nose-diving and impacting."

Perianne
10-04-2016, 04:21 PM
I've had to pull dead bodies onto my boat. I've pulled babies, luckily alive, from pools
and surf.

I will never forget the first time I ever put a stethoscope to a dead person's chest. Live bodies have all kinds of sounds going on, but with the dead there is complete silence. It was spooky a bit.

Russ
10-04-2016, 07:22 PM

That's not what Trump was saying, that's just what pete311, Hillary, George Soros want to say that Trump is saying. The vet that asked the question from the audience says that's not what Trump was saying, and the vets on this board appear to be saying the same.

pete311, unless you are a vet also, you are not really entitled to have an opinion on what you think Trump is saying here.

aboutime
10-04-2016, 07:41 PM

He's saying if you can't handle it, you aren't strong.

Wrong pete. We do get bent out of shape when someone TWISTS, and LIES to change the context of what might have been said to FIT YOUR DUMBNESS, and STUPIDITY.
Then again. That's one of the Signature Signs most of us recognize from Arrogant Liberals.

Elessar
10-04-2016, 08:07 PM
That's not what Trump was saying, that's just what pete311, Hillary, George Soros want to say that Trump is saying. The vet that asked the question from the audience says that's not what Trump was saying, and the vets on this board appear to be saying the same.

pete311, unless you are a vet also, you are not really entitled to have an opinion on what you think Trump is saying here.

I'll guaran-damn-tee he's no Vet. Not the way he spouts his liberal suck.
He's got zero respect for Vets

aboutime
10-04-2016, 08:21 PM

Elessar. I suspect pete is probably just like Bill Clinton, and other Conscientious Objector types, who hid in their parents basement, and only came up for air when it was time to SALUTE Jane Fonda, and John Kerry...holding his fist in the air, and yelling "WHAT DO WE WANT? FREE STUFF!"

pete311
10-04-2016, 08:43 PM
That's not what Trump was saying

If that is not what he meant then he shouldn't have said it like he did.

ok Dad

Perianne
10-04-2016, 08:49 PM

"liberal suck".... hehehehe, that is a new one!

Elessar
10-04-2016, 09:08 PM
"liberal suck".... hehehehe, that is a new one!

Suck = mouth as per USMC terms!:laugh:

Elessar
10-04-2016, 09:11 PM
If that is not what he meant then he shouldn't have said it like he did.

Did you really read it? I think not. It did not imply they are weak, but stated
seeking help is NOT weakness.

Nowhere did he call them weak. Reading comprehension a problem with you?

aboutime
10-04-2016, 09:22 PM

Elessar. Seems like it really doesn't matter to pete, how many ways, or times we try to explain it to him. Liberal minds, easily-led minds, DNC quoting minds, denial minds from the left WILL NEVER admit anything THEY said has any possibility of being distorted, or wrong. Sticking to the prescribed lies they have constantly repeated...protects them from being exposed for their ignorance. But it backfires often.

pete311
10-04-2016, 09:23 PM

What is the opposite of strong? He said those who can handle it are strong, some can't. Those who can't aren't strong. They must be weak. Give me a fucking break.

Elessar
10-04-2016, 09:31 PM
What is the opposite of strong? He said those who can handle it are strong, some can't. Those who can't aren't strong. They must be weak. Give me a fucking break.

Give you a break? You are the one that twisted what was said and implied something
not even in the original message.

Give You a break? Not Hardly. You insulted a lot of people (which you are good at)
by trying to imply something that was not said.

Frikkin' hopeless liberal whiner!

darin
10-05-2016, 12:52 AM
I can't figure out what he said wrong. Why do people care about this? Hillary takes millions from countries that - as official policy - slaughter gays. (shrug). Hillary's only experience leading forces? Ends in US forces Deaths.

sundaydriver
10-05-2016, 04:13 AM
I can't figure out what he said wrong. Why do people care about this? Hillary takes millions from countries that - as official policy - slaughter gays. (shrug). Hillary's only experience leading forces? Ends in US forces Deaths.

When he said; some can't handle it is what his off the cuff caught my attention. Even the strongest have problems after a few IED explosions rattle the brain around aside from what there've seen and done.

aboutime
10-05-2016, 07:39 PM

pete. You have already gotten that BREAK you asked for. Poor guy, you broke your f'in head, and nothing registers mentally for you anymore. Can I call you Chubby Checker?

Chubby Checker is the closest thing you have to TWISTING words, tunes, thoughts, and imagination.
And you are leaving yourself here...
"TWISTIN' IN THE WIND OF IGNORANCE."