PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania Officer Fired After Losing His Sense of Smell

waterrescuedude2000
07-27-2007, 03:41 AM
First, he survived a motorcycle accident near Cleveland three years ago, then endured rehabilitation and recertification to win his job back, becoming one of only a handful of people to suffer a traumatic head injury and resume a career in law enforcement.

http://officer.com/online/article.jsp?siteSection=1&id=37113

OK well I can see how it might affect his job.. I'd consider it putting his life in jeopordy. For example if he is chasing a suspect in a building and he can't smell the guys cologne.. Just an example... Then he wouldnt know where the guy was possibly. That could make him end up dead.. just my thoughts

diuretic
07-27-2007, 04:30 AM
They should put him in the K9 Unit, he doesn't need a sense of smell then. In fact it would be an advantage if they gave him a Labrador :laugh2:

Now, being serious. This is rubbish. A cop doesn't need a sense of smell. A dui driver is usually observed driving in a certain manner and when he or she alights from the vehicle (in the US of course field sobriety tests are used) then there are plenty of indicators as to if a person has been drinking. A drug driver doesn't necessarily stink of anything either.

Now, it might be that he may miss the odd cannabis pinch as that stuff reeks, but big deal.

He should get his job back. This is a crock.

waterrescuedude2000
07-28-2007, 02:31 AM
Well if he cant smell then he can't smell the alcohol on somebodys breath.. But there is a breathalyzer also. So not only field sobriety tests that isnt enough in the politically correct states

diuretic
07-28-2007, 05:03 AM
Well if he cant smell then he can't smell the alcohol on somebodys breath.. But there is a breathalyzer also. So not only field sobriety tests that isnt enough in the politically correct states

Here there's a legal provision that allows a police officer to pull over any driver and test them (Draeger alcometer) for alcohol. No pc needed. Cops aren't abusing it though, jeez you know a dui when you see one.

diuretic
07-28-2007, 05:05 AM

Here there's a legal provision that allows a police officer to pull over any driver and test them (Draeger alcometer) for alcohol. No pc needed. Cops aren't abusing it though, jeez you know a dui when you see one. Thye smell of liquor used to be a good indicator when it was necessary to have "reasonable cause" but that's irrelevant now.

waterrescuedude2000
07-28-2007, 07:32 AM
I can see both sides of the issues but it was wrong to fire him. I mean why not a job at a desk or something but fired is rediculous.

diuretic
07-28-2007, 10:15 AM
He'll get reinstated. He's got FOP help which is good.

waterrescuedude2000
07-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Yeah I figure he will and I know that alot of cops go to that website that it was posted on too.