PDA

View Full Version : Dad Forced to Pay $39.35 to Hold His Baby After Wife’s C-section

jimnyc
10-05-2016, 08:12 PM
Wow, that's insane.

-----

Dad Forced to Pay $39.35 to Hold His Baby After Wife’s C-section

Numerous studies have shown that there are some serious health benefits to parents practicing skin-to-skin contact the moment a baby is born. But should that contact come at a price?

It did for Reddit user halfthrottle, who shared a picture of his bill from Utah Valley Hospital with the amount of $39.35 highlighted for “skin to skin” after his wife’s C-section.

“I had to pay $39.35 to hold my baby after he was born,” the dad wrote in an Imgur post that has since gone viral. He later added, “The nurse let me hold the baby on my wife’s neck/chest. Even borrowed my camera to take a few pictures for us. Everyone involved in the process was great, and we had a positive experience. We just got a chuckle out of seeing that on the bill.”

http://i.imgur.com/AA5PwuM.jpg

According to a Medscape article, skin-to-skin contact between mother and baby immediately after birth makes “the transition from fetal to newborn life with greater respiratory, temperature, and glucose stability and significantly less crying, indicating decreased stress.” Further, mothers who hold their newborns skin-to-skin after birth have “increased maternal behaviors, show more confidence in caring for their babies, and breastfeed for longer durations. Being skin-to-skin with mother protects the newborn from the well-documented negative effects of separation, supports optimal brain development, and facilitates attachment, which promotes the infant’s self-regulation over time.”

Rest here - https://www.yahoo.com/beauty/this-dad-had-to-pay-39-35-to-hold-his-baby-after-wifes-c-section-164246181.html

Elessar
10-05-2016, 09:33 PM
That is ridiculous!

A father has to pay a fee to hold his wee one?

What has gotten into these people, billing for everything?

Lack of compassion perhaps?

revelarts
10-06-2016, 07:30 AM
That is ridiculous!
A father has to pay a fee to hold his wee one?
What has gotten into these people, billing for everything?
Lack of compassion perhaps?

the love of Money.

sundaydriver
10-06-2016, 06:48 PM
A cheap price for the memory considering they have to have an extra person in the OR to do this.

I recall seeing many articles on hospitals billing outrages for things but one sticks in my mind. We've all seen these little portion cups.http://i386.photobucket.com/albums/oo302/rover27/cup_zpscbhyys03.jpg (http://s386.photobucket.com/user/rover27/media/cup_zpscbhyys03.jpg.html)

In one article someone complained that they were given meds in these three times a day while hospitalized and charged $12 each time for a MEDICINE DESPENSING DEVICE. I looked in my VWR Scientific catalogue for a price and it was with discount $ 32.10 for a carton of 5,000 and charging $60K to the patients and Insurance companies.

We've been screwed forever by the Medical Industry & Insurance Co.'s. No price shopping in medical treatment!

Kaimhel
10-06-2016, 07:45 PM
Are you kidding me??? Seriously?!

This makes me so happy that I gave birth at home. Not only was it cheaper, but was calmer and my boys ended up just fine. If I had been in a hospital, no doubt they would have forced me to have a cesarian due to the fact I was having twins. SMH

Abbey Marie
10-07-2016, 11:03 AM
Why did they need an extra person in the OR just so Dad could hold his own child?

I find this outrageous.

NightTrain
10-07-2016, 01:51 PM
I'm not sure why an additional person would be required to hand the baby to a parent.

When all 3 of my kids were born, the nurses let me cut the cord & then gathered around the washing station to clean the baby while making sure the breathing & vitals were okay - there was no extra person present, and besides that, 40 bucks isn't going to pay for anyone's time standing around waiting to hand a baby to the parents. The nurses do that.

There's no justification for that charge other than getting creative to squeeze extra money out.

I'm surprised that they haven't begun charging for the water used to wash the baby - that would make more sense than a $40 baby-handling-fee.

revelarts
10-07-2016, 05:40 PM
A cheap price for the memory considering they have to have an extra person in the OR to do this.

I recall seeing many articles on hospitals billing outrages for things but one sticks in my mind. We've all seen these little portion cups.

In one article someone complained that they were given meds in these three times a day while hospitalized and charged $12 each time for a MEDICINE DESPENSING DEVICE. I looked in my VWR Scientific catalogue for a price and it was with discount $ 32.10 for a carton of 5,000 and charging $60K to the patients and Insurance companies.
•PIC OF CUP•
We've been screwed forever by the Medical Industry & Insurance Co.'s. No price shopping in medical treatment!

the health care "system" is messed up. Insurance companies and big pharma in bed with the gov't for the past 50+ years has made things tougher. It's cartel like at this point.
HMO's and the elite exclusivity the medical profession haven't helped. Making "competition" outside of the club nearly illegal.

no easy answers for it. Pointing out abuses like this helps i guess.
SaveSave